• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Not sure about downtilt, but Dthrow to Dair or Upsmash has always been known about on MK. Only difference is that around 35% plus he can start pulling out the Nair after the Dthrow.
Whoops. I meant down smash.

And they are all true combos, as Training center has told me, meaning they are in inescapable.

Denzi

Smash Master
Whoops. I meant down smash.

And they are all true combos, as Training center has told me, meaning they are in inescapable.

Usmash is usually a better idea though. it gives you more options, especially because you can't really follow MK offstage (which is where your Dsmash will probably send him).

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow>dair follow ups are only viable during CG %. So why would you go do the aforementioned combo when you can just CG them and dair spike them off? (MK included)

Denzi

Smash Master
Dthrow>dair follow ups are only viable during CG %. So why would you go do the aforementioned combo when you can just CG them and dair spike them off? (MK included)
They can be a viable replacement when you aren't quite going to make it to the ledge.

J4pu

Smash Champion
brawl has 2 versions of hitstun: "hard" and "soft"
training mode consecutive hit counter counts all hitstun as the same
you can air-dodge or use any aerial during "soft" hitstun, this is why nobody uses training to test anything for brawl

this was figured out by like last summer, where have you been?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Ture combo, down throw, dair, upsmash or dtilt. Works great on metaknight.

Is this known?
Wait what?

Edit: I'm only testing the non techable percentages. Since that was the only reason I thought it could work

I'll do some research into what this leads into. Since I'm alone. I can't test 'true combo-ability'
...yeah I just made that term up.

but yeah, training mode doesnt DI for you either.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Hmm. See I wasn't thinking of that, the only thing on my mind was, does smash DI work on throws?!?!
I'll test it tomorrow.
There are many kinds of DI but the 2 ones you really only need to know are smash and regular di.

Smash DI is moving while in hit stun(moving the joystick from neutral to a direction while in hit stun). Get a smart bomb, blow yourself up with it then smash up over and over again on both the C stick and the directional stick. You should move, that's smash di.

Regular DI is altering the trajectory you're sent in by just holding the joystick while getting hit.

You can regular di throws.

J4pu

Smash Champion
SDI does not exist for throws
however because Falco shoots lasers during the throw (these lasers can even be reflected/absorbed) there might be some SDI-able frames while the lasers are hitting.
I thought of this a few months ago then never tested or said anything because if it does work it could ruin the CG.
I'm sure it would have been found by now though if it did work.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master

Usmash is usually a better idea though. it gives you more options, especially because you can't really follow MK offstage (which is where your Dsmash will probably send him).
You can send him Horizontally. And if you block his shuttle loop as he returns you can spike him out of it before he can glide attack. You can chip at him with laser.

Just wondering. On characters you can get both hits of the Gatling combo to work on in 35%-40% range, Is the gatling combo or Dair > Tech chase a better option?

To me, I always preferred the gatling combo instead because from there (if they got hit straight up from the upsmash) you have the perfect chance to follow up with a bair and at least there all you have to do is time a jump, airdodge or aerial attack instead of trying to guess which way they will be rolling. Plus, even if you miss, you still have about 60% or so on them and they are still in a bad position: the air.

Denzi

Smash Master
You can send him Horizontally. And if you block his shuttle loop as he returns you can spike him out of it before he can glide attack. You can chip at him with laser.
But a smart MK will recover low and then drill rush back to the ledge if there's any chance of you hitting them out of shuttle loop :/

@ crystal: It's hard to say because a lot of it has to do with whether or not your opponent is grounded, and if they aren't, how high off the ground they are. For example, if you try to follow up a 45% CG on MK with a Gatling Combo, only the Dash attack will hit. However, if you try it on a grounded MK at the same %, both hits will connect.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I've always stuck with the dair > techchase a dsmash.

It's pretty much a free 70 damage if you read them well. Most opponents have a habit of rolling away from the edge when they're near it so use that to your advantage.

@Denzi: That is why I said the 35%-40% range. I already know that if you try the gatling combo at 45% both hits will hardly ever connect and really depends on if they are a fast faller or just really heavy. As far as I know and have done if a character can be walk chaingrabed to 45% you can always connect with the gatling combo if you connect with the gatling combo at 40% or less. So an explain of what I meant was this: At 0%, you would use 4 dthrows, then gatling combo that gets you do like 55%-60%. After that it normally hits them straight up and you can follow up with bair timing for another 13% of timed correctly.

@Vlade: I see a lot of people failing to tech and reacting quickly enough. I probably should just stick with the Dair to downsmash.

That is how I pretty much define tech chasing now. Everyone I meet cannot tech properly. And I do not blame them. Brawls mechanics pretty much make failed techs unpunishable. Attacks have too much lag on them to properly follow up with failed techs. Plus, it seems a lot harder to tech in brawl. Half of the time I end up Airdodging at the last second.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
I have a question: How do I teach my friend to play a better Falco? He's been maining Falco for quite a while now, and to be quite honest, he's not that good at it.
I don't really play Falco, but I played him in a mirror match and this was the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQVETKHAqk

Must be kind of depressing getting 3-stocked with your own main.

Anyways, my question to you Falco mainers is what can I do/say to make him better? I told him to go to SWF and he simply retorts:
"No man, I already know all that stuff, it's useless."

I'm at wit's end. Help plz?

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I have a question: How do I teach my friend to play a better Falco? He's been maining Falco for quite a while now, and to be quite honest, he's not that good at it.
I don't really play Falco, but I played him in a mirror match and this was the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQVETKHAqk

Must be kind of depressing getting 3-stocked with your own main.

Anyways, my question to you Falco mainers is what can I do/say to make him better? I told him to go to SWF and he simply retorts:
"No man, I already know all that stuff, it's useless."

I'm at wit's end. Help plz?
If he really does suck and is going nowhere then why don't you ask him to choose another character which suits his own interest. Perhaps Falco may not have been designed to his liking or maybe he just needs to SHL and IAP

J4pu

Smash Champion
tell him to practice a ton more, he lacks basic "tech skill"
brawl doesn't even have anything too difficult to master.
SHDL's failed
CG failed
both of your buffered dash > SHDair after CG fail
he phantasmed off the side=major fail

§witch

Smash Lord
Jab through everything basically. Jab can lead to so much, jabx2>SH dair is one my favourites, just mix it up because falco's only good close range move is jab.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
If he really does suck and is going nowhere then why don't you ask him to choose another character which suits his own interest. Perhaps Falco may not have been designed to his liking or maybe he just needs to SHL and IAP
Youre friend isn't having trouble with Falco. He's just not good at the game. I can't tell if he's someone fit for the game or not without at least the muscle memory skill. He just needs to get ***** a few more times.

Teach him the basics of the game such as spacing, shield grabbing, not sitting still. Constantly remind him of moves you think he should have used in a situation where you think he messed up. He might get angry at you but oh well. Remind him of the 3 stock XD

Lotopius

Smash Cadet
I think your friend isn't hopeless with falco, he just blatantly needs practice, as J4pu said.
He knows what to do, but he hasn't developped the muscle memory yet.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Guys. I'm about to reveal a horrible tragedy. I have troubles with my roommates Sonic . . . . It's not even that it's a good Sonic. I just suck against spammers. It's possible that I suck in general too though.

Seriously, he just spin dashes > jumps out > Bair. Repeatedly. Over and over. I need help stopping simple spam :(

J4pu

Smash Champion
lasering sonic is pretty hard
spindash makes him short and incredibly fast
try SHDL> grounded laser to make sure that you don't miss.
I've only played one sonic main in my life and it wasn't pretty, I think sonic is kind of a pain to deal with.
spin dash is incredibly predictable though, if he starts doing it just start doing the Jab combo (only if jab cancels or beats spin dash, which I'm assuming it does).

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
First off guys, 80% of the time, you won't have time to laser him out of the spindash. A good sonic won't charge it unless he's just mixing up his game or throwing in a mindgame. It's most efficient when he's fast. If I could suggest, your reasonable choices are: Shield, roll, or spotdodge, then follow up with just about any attack. This is assuming the Sonic uses good spacing, mind you.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
As a not ******** Falco main, lasers are the first thing I tried. But yeah, he's compressed in a ball and hitting him with a SHL requires super precision which I can't do consistently enough. I know, I should get better. But not only that, I have to first short hop, wait, and then fire a laser and a lot of times I don't have that much time. Grounded lasers are too laggy and he punishes it pretty easily. When I shield the attack I can't punish it consistently. He jumps out the spindash and I go for a running Usmash but Sonic's Bair beats it out. If I do nothing, he spindashes again.

So after posting, a couple of ideas came to mind. For one, I never even though of jabbing . . . so thanks Japu. Second, I think I should try Dair when he comes with spindash. Third, I need to try boost smash rather than running Up-Smash. Hopefully it'll be quicker and having it partially charged will give it higher priority or something. Hmmmmmmm . . . .

Zanthos25

Smash Cadet
Has anyone attempted to break out of Pikachu's chaingrab on Falco (using shine)? It seems like if their testing comes to fruition, it could be even more dangerous than it is now. We know by now that Wolf can use his shine to break out of Pika's CG at certain percents, and even Fox is capable of doing so (seems harder apparently).

Here are some conversations regarding recent discussion about Fox's Shine and breaking out of Pika's CG.

Im assuming so since you guys are saying you can get out at around 60. It should go all the way till 90 if the Pikachu is buffering all of his grabs correctly. Otherwise theyre probably just going by sight. Which isnt the correct way to do it.
No, I've tested it and with perfect SDI (I mean perfect), you can get out and shine at around 60%. But then you'll eat an Usmash, probably.
Fox's Shine
Input: 2B
Hits: 3F
Hitlag: 9F
Ending Lag: 17F

Wolf's Shine
6 (invincible)
7-14 (8)
15-28 (14)
28 total

Falco's Shine Down-B:
Total: 51 frames
First hits on frame 4 – 6 at least
Shield hit lag: 0
Shield stun: 9
Advantage: -34

You see, even if were able to SDI correctly and land a shine to break out, we would be hit with crippling ending lag, due to Falco's shine properties. What I'm saying is....does it take more frames to jump and shine at the same time? The input seems instantaneous to me, if the input is buffered.

Now, I believe this has largely gone untested (to my knowledge) because everyone dismisses Falco's shine as a laggy attack that is highly punishable. It has different properties than Fox's/Wolf's that is known. Shine jumping gives him a larger vertical boost in the air compared to the other spacies.

Assuming that this actually works, (which it might not), Pika would be hit with the Shine and you could DI away from him to avoid being punished by the ending lag. Though, from what I tested, shine + jump did not always hit the opponent on the ground...

UPDATE: Hmm, forgive my possible ignorance, but I'm not too aware of the situation it takes to break out of Pika's CG in the first place, and the amount of frames you are allotted to do so. Falco's jab most certainly comes out faster than the first hitbox of the shine.

I've been playing a lot of sonics as of late (good ones too) and I've noticed you do not want to use that many lasers. It's just kind of pointless to use as many as you would say against DDD. By all means still use them just be cautious that Sonic can punish you move so with speed than some others can.

Top Bottom