• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

I mean, you still use the c-stick to perform the dash attack, but instead of using Z for the the pivot grab, you can use one of the shields on the triggers to do so.
Wouldn't that require the use of control configuration changes? Or do you really mean you can perform that with having L or R set to shield. If you mean the control configurations, I know about that. I actually have my R set to grab, and Z set to attack. Z set to attack just makes performing Boost Smashing easier, although I do end up gatling combo instead of the boost smash though hmm.... But, yeah. I find having Grab set to R makes the Boost Pivot Grab easier as the time taken to press R pretty much auto times itself by the time I do the Dash, C-stick and press backwards.

What is the offical order? Dash > C-stick > Push backwards < grab or is it Dash < push backwards < c-stick < grab?

wangston

Smash Lord
What is the offical order? Dash > C-stick > Push backwards < grab or is it Dash < push backwards < c-stick < grab?
I pretty sure that it's dash > attack > pivot grab. Because it's a pivot grab i'm not sure which you do first the backwards or the grab. Just do them at the same time and you will be fine.

Umby

Smash Master
Wouldn't that require the use of control configuration changes? Or do you really mean you can perform that with having L or R set to shield. If you mean the control configurations, I know about that. I actually have my R set to grab, and Z set to attack. Z set to attack just makes performing Boost Smashing easier, although I do end up gatling combo instead of the boost smash though hmm.... But, yeah. I find having Grab set to R makes the Boost Pivot Grab easier as the time taken to press R pretty much auto times itself by the time I do the Dash, C-stick and press backwards.

I litterally mean, you use SHIELD during the process instead of GRAB and it can still do the same thing to reverse boost grab. It's just that, like setting R to Attack for DACUS, it makes the timing easier for some people.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
So you mean that if you change a control setting, the button will actually do the thing you changed it too?

You just made it alot easier for me to play brawl.

Umby

Smash Master
So you mean that if you change a control setting, the button will actually do the thing you changed it too?

You just made it alot easier for me to play brawl.
No. I am saying that using whichever trigger you use for shielding on the gamecube controller (in which the standard control setting already has each trigger, if you didn't already know) can be used to perform the grab of a reverse boost grab instead of the default grab button (the Z button). This allows for different timing on performing the move if you have trouble using Z to perform it.

Don't be an ass if you're going to misread.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Question on Reverse Boost Grabbing. Is it common knowledge that you can perform it with the Shield button instead of Grab? If not, it is, as I so found out randomly this weekend.
Some people know, I do.

It's because when you hold the C-stick down "Shield" become "Grab" since the C-stick is attacking. I think it's easier with this set-up because the human lag from you hitting the C-stick is equal to the human lag of you hitting the L/R trigger all the way down. (That's just me)

Don't worry Teh Umby I totally understand you.

Some people know, I do.

It's because when you hold the C-stick down "Shield" become "Grab" since the C-stick is attacking. I think it's easier with this set-up because the human lag from you hitting the C-stick is equal to the human lag of you hitting the L/R trigger all the way down. (That's just me)

Don't worry Teh Umby I totally understand you.
I see. So in short you are not inputting the command for a grab, you are inputting the command for a shieldgrab. Does this mean that you might get shielding effects from pressing the shield button for that small window frame? If so wouldn't you think you might be able to powershield an attack if you were to get attacked during that time you shield before going into the grab?

If all of that is true that just makes Boost Pivot Grabbing, but with the shield button better than the method with pressing the grab button.

Denzi

Smash Master
I see. So in short you are not inputting the command for a grab, you are inputting the command for a shieldgrab. Does this mean that you might get shielding effects from pressing the shield button for that small window frame? If so wouldn't you think you might be able to powershield an attack if you were to get attacked during that time you shield before going into the grab?

If all of that is true that just makes Boost Pivot Grabbing, but with the shield button better than the method with pressing the grab button.
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to shield anything, similar to how you don't actually shield when you grab with R+ A at the same time.

@ Umby's original Question: We know, but we recommend people learn to do it with the Z button because you should be using Z anyways for boost smashing (DACUS) and you don't have to move your fingers around as much.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to shield anything, similar to how you don't actually shield when you grab with R+ A at the same time.
I wasn't talking about actually having shield frames. I was really trying to get at the idea of powershielding. In order to powershield you have to hit shield within 3 frames of the attack right? Well, if you use the Shield button to grab instead, the game might still read that as a shield input, but only for like a frame before canceling or getting overidden by the shieldgrab command leading to the grab instead. But, if you get hit during that time you would input that shield command you might activate a powershield overriding the grabbing effect and everything else.

I have no idea how the brawl system works exactly, but the physics make sense to a degree and there is some evidance to back up this idea. Since you are able to use shield to input the grab, that must mean it is being read as an R + A input during the pivot grab. From there you can probably assume that somewhere along the way a shield input was made, but got canceled out or something like that. But powershielding might cancel the R + A input.

Now that I think about it that is a lot of canceling of each other 0.o

J4pu

Smash Champion
i doubt it would be able to powershield anything
but I like the theorizing

also I love how good people have been about keeping their questions to this thread rather than new posts like we used to have.
Thanks for making this thread Darxmarth
*hopes people have forgotten how skeptical I was of it at first

BleachigoZX

Smash Master

False. Since attack is being held and then grab (From pressing shield) comes out, it basically follows:

Normal
Dash > C-stick > Pivot + Grab Button (In his case "Z")

What Teh Umby is saying
Dash > C-stick > Pivot + Shield (Whick actually becomes a grab since Attact + Shield = Grab)

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about punishing a rolling kirby. Most of the time i have a habbit of countering rolls by using dair or a bair. But with kirby when i use bair i have with his hieght mostly due to time it takes good hit and when i miss i get punished with a fsmash(grr teh fsmash). Is there any other good ways to hit a kirby when he rolls?

p8nted

Smash Apprentice
I usually go with ftilt followed by IAP or SHDL (depending on DI and percentages) or just a grab. Both are quick and hard to mess up.

Two questions: Is there some secret to getting added distance with the DACUS. Falco's DACUS can cover almost half of FD, yet mine seems to consistently cover 1/4th the distance of FD. Does it need to be done faster or is there a specific timing for the extra distance? The method I use is iDA (dash > c-stick down) > analog-stick up > Z.

Second, is the spike after chaingrab on Marth guaranteed? I've never had a problem getting the spike against other characters, but even with a buffered SH > dair, Marth seems to be able to jump out of range before the spike hits him. My opponents aren't particularly good at DI so I'm just confused.

Thanks in advance.

J4pu

Smash Champion
1. If you are using grab for your boost smashes, you cannot do the full one, you have to be using something set to attack

2. You can't CG marth, I assume you can Dthrow> SHDair at low percents, but not for very long.

I had a question that I made like 2 months ago, but never got answered lol

When the Boost Pivot Grab is done correctly will it only work on those that are possible for you to dash grab? So a brawl character that can only be walk chain grabed cannot be Boost Pivot Grabbed?

p8nted

Smash Apprentice
1. If you are using grab for your boost smashes, you cannot do the full one, you have to be using something set to attack

2. You can't CG marth, I assume you can Dthrow> SHDair at low percents, but not for very long.
1. Hmm. Alright i'll try that out. :)

2. Yeah, the marth player I know is terrible at escaping it though, so sometimes it's possible to land 2 or 3 grabs in a row. :laugh:
But, for some reason, he always always jumps out of range of the SHDair.

BPG should actually extend the range of the grab (I think). It's kind of a weird hitbox but if you learn the spacing, it should be possible on any character that can be CGed at any point during the CG.

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
ok i have problems with falcos pivot reverse boost grab or wth its called.

anyways i can only do it w/o contact but after the dgrab i cant do it...am i doing something wrong? like he would do a pivot grab but there is no boost.

and another question should i be doing SH DL? or SH one laser?

Denzi

Smash Master
is there enough time to pull off a usmash after a dtilt if you **** the cstick upward?

at low %s mind you

Yes, if you can follow up with a grab, I'm sure Usmash would hit too. Neither is guaranteed, but they do work as occasional quick follow ups.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
I seriously need some tips for pressuring a GnW during his recovery, notably his up-b. I like to be quite agressive when my opponent is trying to come back on the stage, not necessarily gimping them but i usually get some damage in and put them in a disadvantageous situation. Even against MK i can manage this but against GnW nothing! i just don't know how to punish his up-B and on a side-note his good ledge game. so any advice would be really helpfull.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
You can't punish his Up-B. It has invincibility frames. And his ledge game is also very good. I assume you are referring to Marth, you might be better off just waiting for him on stage. Remember your up-B also has invincibility frames, use that to your advantage if he is coming down at you with a N-air or D-air.

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace

anyways i can only do it w/o contact but after the dgrab i cant do it...am i doing something wrong? like he would do a pivot grab but there is no boost.

Denzi

Smash Master

1. I'm going to guess that since you can do it when you're already running, but not after a Dthrow, that you're trying to input the commands for the Boost Pivot Grab before your dash actually starts. Go into training mode, try slowing it down a bit, and then spend a while getting a feel for the timing.

2. It depends on your distance from your opponent. At long distances, SHDL is awesome, but if you try it from closer up the lag from the first laser will leave you wide open if they shield/dodge it. SHL is good at close range because you're not immediately locking yourself into one option (lasering), which is good because if they put up their shield, you can respond differently (i.e. land and grab). SHL isn't as good long range wise because just one laser at a time is a lot easier for your opponent to avoid.

Avion

Smash Apprentice
Go into training mode, try slowing it down a bit, and then spend a while getting a feel for the timing.
I'm going to have to disagree with my friend Denzi here. I personally think that while training is an excellent way to get things down, adjusting the speed to get the timing and then putting it at normal speed is not only effectively having to get it down twice, but the first time you "learned" it (i.e., at the slower speed) can screw up your normal speed timing and actually take longer to get it perfect. This happened to me with SHL, SHDL, and chain spiking; when I learned to phantasm cancel, I did everything at normal speed and I learned much faster. That's how it is for me anyway:)

Denzi

Smash Master
lol, I didn't mean for him to slow down the game's speed, I meant the speed at which he inputs the command.

Miscommunication, sorry bout that.

fridayslobster

Smash Apprentice
i was just messing around in training mode trying to perfect the SHDL's and i found out a trick to get the timing. If you wait a little bit after his jumping sound finishes you can get a pretty decent double laser out, it will hit olimar most of the time. I was just wondering if anyone else knew this...

SecretofMana

Smash Cadet
i was just messing around in training mode trying to perfect the SHDL's and i found out a trick to get the timing. If you wait a little bit after his jumping sound finishes you can get a pretty decent double laser out, it will hit olimar most of the time. I was just wondering if anyone else knew this...
yup. Most common and in most situations optimal timing for shdl for the reasons you mentioned.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I usually go by feel and visual clues. I never really noticed the sound of Falco jumping. But a new audible clue for the timing helps too.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
You can't punish his Up-B. It has invincibility frames. And his ledge game is also very good. I assume you are referring to Marth, you might be better off just waiting for him on stage. Remember your up-B also has invincibility frames, use that to your advantage if he is coming down at you with a N-air or D-air.
no i meant Game and Watch, i personally don't have much problem facing marth's recovery

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
Is there a special way to make the spike at the end of a CG unavoidable? Does it have to be buffered or something?

Not sure about downtilt, but Dthrow to Dair or Upsmash has always been known about on MK. Only difference is that around 35% plus he can start pulling out the Nair after the Dthrow.

Top Bottom