• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Boost Smash is best used after CGing, mainly because of Gatling. It is also a flashy way to kill, if you SH(D)L -> Boost Smash. That and its just.... fun. :D

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
How do we deal with Pikachu? Is there a thread for this already?

Sknil

Smash Rookie
Alright, well I've browsed this board and this thread but cannot find an answer to some questions.
I've read the ways to DAC and Gatling numerous times and still haven't been able to perform them.

I was wondering if there is any certain controller set-up that helps? Everytime I Dash > cancel UpSmash, i always grab. :/

Thanks.
I know that there are many who come and ask, so just bear with me. :p

EDIT: Through self-determination, I have managed to accomplish these goals. I guess I just needed to write it down? I don't know. lol

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
Question: Is there away to escape Sheiks tilt lock ? I've read that you have to SDI towards ur opponent, but what if he turns around and lock u again on the other side ??

Mith_

Smash Champion
Question: Is there away to escape Sheiks tilt lock ? I've read that you have to SDI towards ur opponent, but what if he turns around and lock u again on the other side ??
SDIng behind her will just get you tilt-locked again.
SDIng up will get you followed up with an aerial.
SDIng down won't get you anywhere really.
SDIng away will get you followed up with a move, not a tilt lock most likely though.

You choose lol.

Is it possible to Dthrow > Jab Cancel > Grab repeat at some what low percentages <60% even against the likes of kirby?

Denzi

Smash Master
I don't really get the chance to play any good Pikas, but Thunder is reflectable :)

Is it possible to Dthrow > Jab Cancel > Grab repeat at some what low percentages <60% even against the likes of kirby?
I've never even thought to try that, I'll have to sometime. If you want to test it yourself, go into training mode vs. a Lv. 9 (but motionless) CPU. If you see them dodge/jump/etc. at any time during the "combo", odds are it's escapable.

I don't really get the chance to play any good Pikas, but Thunder is reflectable :)

I've never even thought to try that, I'll have to sometime. If you want to test it yourself, go into training mode vs. a Lv. 9 (but motionless) CPU. If you see them dodge/jump/etc. at any time during the "combo", odds are it's escapable.
Just tried it. Yes sometimes they can escape the jab by jumping if not they will fall straight down. Although it seems if you jab than jab again that second jab brings them closer towards you and I think you can jab cancel that and go into a grab, yet I am having problems timing it correctly, so I'll keep at it. Nice thing to note is that the jab ends up coming out quick enough even against jigglypuff, lucario (needs good timing) and kirby upto like 50%.

KnoxD10

Smash Rookie
saviorslegacy told me to post this here...

I was fighting Crystal earlier, in this match I knocked him off the ledge, then started charging my overB next to the ledge, he tried to recover by using his reflector to knock me away from the edge, when he initiated this attack I also released my overB charge at virtually the same moment, Falcos reflector was then reflected back at him and he took the electicity damage, then he fell into the pit and died

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
use SHL instead of SHDL (so you can move around faster, pikachu is quick), dair is effective against small chars like pika, reflector when they use down b or b. and don't try gimping them. just outcamp them and space with dairs when their close. again use reflector when they use B or down B. jab combo and uptilt is also very effective. bair is not very good against pika since they can beat the bair with their fair and nair. also, ALWAYS DI THEIR DOWNSMASH.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
saviorslegacy told me to post this here...

I was fighting Crystal earlier, in this match I knocked him off the ledge, then started charging my overB next to the ledge, he tried to recover by using his reflector to knock me away from the edge, when he initiated this attack I also released my overB charge at virtually the same moment, Falcos reflector was then reflected back at him and he took the electicity damage, then he fell into the pit and died
But Falco's Reflector isn't a projectile.. I'm 95% certain, that means it can't be reflected. To the best of my knowledge, this couldn't have happened... And besides, Pika's side-B is NOT a reflector.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
It was Ike's SideB that was used, Flamingo.
I just say its a weird glitch having to do with the opening frames of Falcos shine.

GMo

Smash Apprentice
Two quick ?s.

1.) On what characters can Falco CG but NOT RPBG them? Or can you and the timing just has to be spot on. (I've had problems with Metaknight at certain percentages and Wario.)

2.) ZSS's dsmash chain. Can I break out? How?

Denzi

Smash Master
Two quick Qusestions.

1.) On what characters can Falco CG but NOT RPBG them? Or can you and the timing just has to be spot on. (I've had problems with Metaknight at certain percentages and Wario.

2.) ZSS's dsmash chain. Can I break out? How?
1) I'm not exactly sure, I think it might have something to do with dash CG, if you can't do that on a character I don't think you can RBPG them.

2) I didn't think she could chain more than two or three together. If she could, there wouldn't be any way to get out of it.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Do you guys use Jump cancelled Upsmashes out of shield?
If you don't you should start.
I don't really want an answer I just thought I should inform you guys since it is so good, but I didn't think it deserved it's own thread.

Denzi

Smash Master
I don't really want an answer I just thought I should inform you guys since it is so good, but I didn't think it deserved it's own thread.
They're completely awesome. Unfortunately, I just started playing w/ tap jump on recently, and I'm still getting used to it. (I had it off because most guides said it would make GC/Boost smashing easier, and I just got used to playing that way after I learned.)

What are the benefits of that over the normal one?

J4pu

Smash Champion
What are the benefits of that over the normal one?
the benefits are you can get a kill move OoS
shield drop=7 frames or something
but you can jump straight from shield w/o any drop lag, so if you Jump then immediately Upsmash when you are in shield, you avoid 7 extra frames of start-up lag.
Perfect shield > JC Upsmash OoS = unavoidable if they are within range?

This is something probably pretty basic, but I did not think much of it till I saw Bowsers grab release against falco. When escaping a grab how does one get released into the air instead of along the ground?

Crazy Hobo

Smash Cadet
This is something probably pretty basic, but I did not think much of it till I saw Bowsers grab release against falco. When escaping a grab how does one get released into the air instead of along the ground?
Depends on the character releasing and your percent. Also DI helps.

Vlade

Social Outcast
the benefits are you can get a kill move OoS
shield drop=7 frames or something
but you can jump straight from shield w/o any drop lag, so if you Jump then immediately Upsmash when you are in shield, you avoid 7 extra frames of start-up lag.
Perfect shield > JC Upsmash OoS = unavoidable if they are within range?
That's definitely something to look into. Although it would depend on what move you powershielded. And the 7 frames difference may not matter if the move is very laggy. However, I'm sure there are moves where this does make the difference on whether or not you hit.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
If you could get rid of the seven frames, that would make a LOT more moves punishable out of shield. Just imagine getting to Up smash Rob or MK's Dsmash out of shield every time.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Air Release occurs when the person being grabbed's feet are off of the ground in the grabbed animation. You also can't be grab attacking them, cuz it moves their feet to the ground. Tall characters air release short characters, anybody can air release anybody when they grab them while they're off the edge, and sometimes you can get more air releases on sloped ground. Falco has an air grab release > boost smash on MK, but you need some pretty slanted ground to get MK's feet off the ground during the grab. There is also some extremely difficult way to release to the air when you are the one being grabbed no matter what (probably pressing jump the exact frame you are released) the computer does it all the time, which is why you can't test if somebody air releases vs a CPU.

Although it would depend on what move you powershielded.
Good point, not sure why I didn't think of that.

Denzi

Smash Master
I've got a qusestion:

How "landable" is SHSL -> reverse boost pivot grab, and what would you use it for?

I saw Sethlon doing it and just wondered.

BladerZ528

Smash Rookie
Well i read the first two pages of this thread and god forbid that i didnt read the other 25 pages to find out if my question was answered or not but here goes.

I'm usually the prick that initiates the chain grabs all the time but i find it hard getting out of other people chain grabs so i was wondering how do you guys get out of chaingrabs in order to prevent further damage? I asked Sk92 and he just said "ya can't, ya just gotta wait."

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
That's pretty much it. The reason they're chaingrabs is because you can't escape if they do it perfectly. As Falco, you just have to hope they screw up and you can jump out. Snake gets to mash B and hope a grenade drops :chuckle:

Crazy Hobo

Smash Cadet
Well i read the first two pages of this thread and god forbid that i didnt read the other 25 pages to find out if my question was answered or not but here goes.

I'm usually the prick that initiates the chain grabs all the time but i find it hard getting out of other people chain grabs so i was wondering how do you guys get out of chaingrabs in order to prevent further damage? I asked Sk92 and he just said "ya can't, ya just gotta wait."
Go to the boards of the character that is chaingrabbing you. They might have a percent and move at which you can escape the grab. If you can't find any try to do the technique Ness uses against Marth. Rotate the control stick away from the opponent, and keep doing this in circles, while doing that flick the c stick away from your opponent. I do not know if this will work, but supposedly it will give you a little more horizontal push.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I tested JCUS today and compared it to a shield dropped Usmash. The difference is clear, clear eyes JC is superior. If you don't want to have tap jump on then I set jump to L. Then again, I haven't tested Y yet.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
actually i got used to playing tap jump on from playing marth. it's actually helpful, playing other characters to "get" a new move sometimes. such is how i learned boostsmashing (with snake first.)
anyways, yeah, JCUS is pretty useful OoS.

Top Bottom