• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
does bengals flamewar prove that the link boards are full of @$$es?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217185
And just Aurashade... >_>
The Link boards are actually the most friendly and close community I've been in so far. Everyone is really polite to one another, and since there are few Link mainers, everyone knows one another and everyone is pretty much a friend. There are two exceptions to everyone being polite and courteous:

Ray Kalm
Aurashade

Aurashade deserves respect seeing as he single-handedly prevented the Link boards from being overrun by nooby spammage through flaming. Not exactly a great way to be renowned, but the Link boards respect him for what he's done. Be nice to him and he'll leave you alone is pretty much the message.

And Ray Kalm... I dunno, I refuse to accept that he's really a part of the Link Boards, he manages to upset a lot of people, even when he has the best intentions.

Sorry for the uninformative post, I just don't want people getting the wrong perception of the Link Boards. We seem to be looked down on as some of the most useless people on SWF...

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Actually, I'm really proud of you guys lately: I haven't had to do much closing or infracting at all (baring the occasional noobie who can't find the Marth Guides)

*wipes tears from eyes*

You just....grow up so fast! :crying:

Player-3

Smash Hero
when should i use Nair as opposed to Fair/Bair?

(picked up marth yesterday, using him as a secondary)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
That was a funny argument. A hater with a bunch of little ****ers riding his **** against someone with a point.
QFT, that was almost as horrible as when the Pit matchup thread got locked down because of all the stupid posts, lol.

Yeah, Aura can get a bit off the rocker.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Actually, I'm really proud of you guys lately: I haven't had to do much closing or infracting at all (baring the occasional noobie who can't find the Marth Guides)

*wipes tears from eyes*

You just....grow up so fast! :crying:
Lol yeah, I havn't had to say much either.

legion598

Smash Ace
^thats a very broad question, at really low percents go for Fthrow>Fsmash and after that use Uthrow to start juggles and use both Fthrow and Dthrow to control your spacing and never use Bthrow

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
i was playimg against a cpu earlier and i did a footstool and imediately did a dolphin slash for a stage spike.

i'm assuiming someone already found out that footstool into dolphin slash combo already but i just wanted to be sure.

old?

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
The Link boards are actually the most friendly and close community I've been in so far. Everyone is really polite to one another, and since there are few Link mainers, everyone knows one another and everyone is pretty much a friend. There are two exceptions to everyone being polite and courteous:

Ray Kalm
Aurashade

Aurashade deserves respect seeing as he single-handedly prevented the Link boards from being overrun by nooby spammage through flaming. Not exactly a great way to be renowned, but the Link boards respect him for what he's done. Be nice to him and he'll leave you alone is pretty much the message.

And Ray Kalm... I dunno, I refuse to accept that he's really a part of the Link Boards, he manages to upset a lot of people, even when he has the best intentions.

Sorry for the uninformative post, I just don't want people getting the wrong perception of the Link Boards. We seem to be looked down on as some of the most useless people on SWF...
no problem its informative enough, thats all i wanted to know

@ bengalz: thanks, if i ever have a lot of time on my hands ill try that

i just found that thread rather funny...

@ kishin: we dont have a very good jab lock, and although i think its possible to get off more than two hits, its better to just Fsmash or something else

@chaosscizzors: footstool to tipper Dair is better IMO because its almost guarenteed, i havent seen anyone do footstool--> DS before though, any chance you could put up a vid?

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
just try it, FS and DS right after. it's probably easier if you just tap jump off them and hit B. i would post a vid but i don't have the equipment to do it.

it was kinda a fluke, but if you think about it going for a footstool would keep you from lagging and with good reflexes it would garantee a sweet spotted DS.

it was the sexiest looking fluke ever lol.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
The fourth hit on dancing blade, what's the difference between using the up hit and the forward hit? I know they send opponents in different directions but when do you use one over the other?

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
The fourth hit on dancing blade, what's the difference between using the up hit and the forward hit? I know they send opponents in different directions but when do you use one over the other?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172466

The upwards hit can activate a juggle trap and it kills earlier when in the center of the stage, and it also pokes though the bf platforms but that's just a little thing. The red hit is like a standard move which just send them away, but at higher percents it can set up for edgeguarding and it can kill earlier then blue when near the edge.

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
I just got a bunch of questions comming up lately xD

This sorta goes for every character but I use Marth so I'm asking it here =/.

If your opponent shields one of your attacks does your move still get decayed and not do as much damage or knockback? Like if u break someones shield with shieldbreaker does that decay the shieldbreaker?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I just got a bunch of questions comming up lately xD

This sorta goes for every character but I use Marth so I'm asking it here =/.

If your opponent shields one of your attacks does your move still get decayed and not do as much damage or knockback? Like if u break someones shield with shieldbreaker does that decay the shieldbreaker?
If you hit their shield or break it there is no decay.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Is there a video out there with more than 2 hits? I've searched Youtube but failed to get a good result. I've tried it a couple times but then I question if it's actually possible since it seems no one has actually accomplished it yet.
I'm pretty sure the foe is forced to stand back up at that point. Mostly because the distance he gains and the distance you must walk get to the point where by the time you get to him, the lock time would have expired and a get-up would be forced.

With Icicles or lasers, their speed is fast enough and can be done far away, without the user needing to make up distance, which is why they work until you get to the ledge.

TL;DR - not really possible since walking+fail buffering mechanics don't work in your favor in this case.

Love to be proven wrong though.

The Link boards are actually the most friendly and close community I've been in so far.
What I don't understand is their bitterness toward Toon Link users. Would you mind explaining this to me?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Viet, they hate TL users because they hate having a less badass version of the same character be so much better. I can't blame them >_> It pisses me off too, but I like both of them.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Fighting Snake = Dancing Blade up
Fighting Marth = Dancing Blade normal
Fighting MK = Dancing Blade until MK decides its time to drop his shield and Dsmash you >.>

On a slightly more serious note, up dancing blade is good to set up for juggles or just to bait an airdodge for further punishment, etc. When you are just racking damage on your opponent when you are punishing a move, use the normal version.

Kishin

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure the foe is forced to stand back up at that point. Mostly because the distance he gains and the distance you must walk get to the point where by the time you get to him, the lock time would have expired and a get-up would be forced.

With Icicles or lasers, their speed is fast enough and can be done far away, without the user needing to make up distance, which is why they work until you get to the ledge.

TL;DR - not really possible since walking+fail buffering mechanics don't work in your favor in this case.

Love to be proven wrong though.
I've been testing it out a bit now and I've been seeing some pretty reasonable results for it actually working. If I manage to do a near full stage jab lock then I'll send the replay to someone for a video.

EDIT: I have a replay of me getting 13 straight jabs on ganondorf at FD until I mess up with a forward tilt. I might be doing the jab lock wrong or something though....

Villi

Smash Lord
So it's possible to DI Marth's DThrow into the ground? Which means it's possible to tech it. Does anybody know the input? *has no Wii :(*

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
It looks to me like its something to do with being off of the stage when you get thrown since i have never seen this before, and the peach was in the air when she was grabbed.

or its the DI w/ peachs %

Im probably wrong but theres my 2 cents

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Hey, i've read some guides and matchups and what not, and some of them suggest there is a 0% death combo on Falco and i think the other spacies is it true and if so how does it work?

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Hey, i've read some guides and matchups and what not, and some of them suggest there is a 0% death combo on Falco and i think the other spacies is it true and if so how does it work?
Basically, F-throw x2 (might be able to fit in 3, not too sure) to D-air at very low percents. After a certain percent, they can DI from the throw and avoid the D-air.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
It works on all the fast fallers, but it's only a death combo on Spacies because of their horrible recovery. A simple edgehog will stop them whereas other characters can survive after meteor cancelling the D-air's downward momentum. I believe it's still good for setting up for Marth's excellent edgeguarding skills.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
If I main marth, what is a good secondary to have to deal with his bad matchups?
Marth doesn't have a lot of trouble with many characters, although against MK you might have some trouble. Whichever character you feel comfortable with to deal with your bad matchups would work. Although it's a very broad answer, there isn't really a straight forward answer to the question you asked.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Since this was overlooked in the other thread, I figure it's worth a shot posting my question again here.

When using F-throw to chain-grab fast-fallers, is it best to go for 3 grabs or just 2? I understand they can DI after the second throw. And is it advisable to add in a few pummels on the last grab before leading to a F-smash or Dancing Blade for extra damage?

Lastly, can D-throw chain-grab as well as F-throw? And on the same characters?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I find that the third is really easy to DI so I go for 2 just go be safe. Against someone like Falco you can eat a lot of damage for missing that third grab.

Dthrow is a tech-chase really. You might get a regrab off of it but it's not legit. better to go for a dtilt or something

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
To momentum cancel, you have to use your second jump. Because of this, I've fallen into the habit of momentum canceling anything that knocks me far enough offstage that the bubble picture appears. The problem is that when I come back to the stage, I don't have my 2nd jump to play stall games with. I look at all the great marth videos here, and all of the good players don't seem to momentum cancel. They just DI the hit and hope (or know by experience?) that they won't die off the side.

My main is ROB, although I'm almost as good at Marth now as I am at ROB. As ROB, I just use my jump because I can Robo Burner anywhere I want. But as Marth... should I not be momentum cancelling as Marth?

Villi

Smash Lord
To momentum cancel, you should be using a fair. Weigh your options... if you still think you're going to die, double jump and do another fair. Try to get a feel for it in friendlies. Do two or three fairs instead of jumping and try to remember what will kill you and what won't.

Top Bottom