• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

shrodekill

Smash Cadet
hey everybody, i've been around here for awhile but i hardly ever post lol, but I've been maining marth for a month now or so and i'm having problems getting shield grabbed after a sh double fair. (i know that it is bad spacing if this is happening, i'm working on that)
my question is- if i dolphin slash right after getting shielded (not powershield) on the second fair, will i always beat the grab?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
It depends on the character your facing, your own timing, and your ability to space. You should retreat your fairs, this way you avoid the shield grab situation altogether.

C.box

Smash Journeyman
About the grab releases on mk I know fair, dash attack and i think dolphin slash work, but has anyone ever tried to use marth's pivot walk into other things like a fsmash or ftilt or w.e.

C.box

Smash Journeyman
Only time I try dair is when i'm on the ledge I short hop dair back to the stage to attemp an edgegaurd it works from time to time. If your trying to edgegaurd someone fair, nair, and bair are better. Overall, I try to avoid using dair unless it's a predictable recovery.

C.box

Smash Journeyman
If your gonna try to tip the dair for the spike yeah rar it the back end is easier to spike with then the front imo at least.

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
As Marth, you want to get under the opponent as fast as possible. You have good aerial mobility, so use that to your advantage. You should be able to maneuver to the left or right of the opponent, then fast fall a fair or bair depending on your position. But dair is the last thing you want to do, as if you don't sweetspot, it's incredibly weak, and you'll end up getting punished both for the dair and the tremendous landing lag.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
A few questions if people don't mind:

1. Should Shield Breaker ever be used for recovery purposes, either charged or uncharged?

2. I know that Marth's tippered F-smash cannot be Smash DIed due to its lengthy hitlag animation, but what of his other tippered attacks?

3. Not including the tethers, does Marth really have the 3rd greatest standing grab range after Dedede and Charizard?

Scott!

Smash Lord
@ Above conversation: Dair is an incredibly bad idea to use on the way down. The immense lag makes you so vulnerable. If you do it on the way down when you're not over the stage, you're in big trouble due to fastfalled lag. even if you're up decently high, if you miss, you could be edgehogged or gimped. If you actually land on the stage, you won't be there for long. Seriously, either dodge intelligently, or fair/bair. Preferably fair, since it's faster. Even a well-timed counter would be better, though it's pretty risky too.

@AndrewCarlson:
1. It's very situational and predictable, so don't make a habit of it, but I'm sure a use for it can be found every once in a while. But most of the time, you won't need it, or at least it won't be the difference between making it or not.

2. Not sure.

3. It's up there. I'm not sure of the exact order, but yeah, it's pretty beastly. It more than makes up for the shameful amount of damage he does.

@7ACE7: Marth does have serious issues online. If it's at all laggy, his ability to space is severely dampened. And for Marth, spacing is critically important. So yeah.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I would like to know the complete list of multi-hit attacks/chaingrabs/combos that Marth can Dolphin Slash out of.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I would like to know the complete list of multi-hit attacks/chaingrabs/combos that Marth can Dolphin Slash out of.
Like everything almost... Not D3's CG but Falco's and the others. Most multihit attacks yes, Snake's Nair is difficult but possible iirc, haven't tried in a while. IDK if you can DS out of Marth's DB for the first hit, but I know you can for the last hit if your opponent tries to do the green version. If you have a specific move or moves you'd like to know it's be easier to answer, I don't think there's an actual typed up list.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Well there are some exceptions, like d3 can chaingrab you if he does it perfectly. Also Falco can get 2 dthrows before you can up b, if he does it perfectly.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
marth should also be able to DS out of anything chain that is not a true combo.

ex, Marth's DB. When performed at maximum speed, it is a true combo that cannot be attacked out of (hit counter in practice mode goes up). However, due to Brawls almost non existent hitstun, if the hits are spaced out, you can DB out of it, infact many characters are capable of simply attacking out of it with a fast aerial without needing DS's invincibility frames.

Difference in the tempo of dancing blade:

1234 hits = cannot be attacked out of and generally not DI'd out of except at the very tip.

1-2-3-4 = can be attacked out of with fast attacked/reflexes/dolphin slash. Can be gotten out of with DI.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, but how does Marth's aerial game rank with the rest of the cast? Would you say that it's in the Top 3? And better than Meta Knight's? Mr. Game and Watch's?

Also, what's a good way to set-up for the death combo on Falco in particular? If they know the match-up well, it's hard to pull off the first grab near the ledge.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
Marth's aerial game is excellent because his fair is so good, back and nair can kill, uair can juggle and autocancels into basically anything and all of his aerials have great range. there are very few characters that outrange marth in the air and fewer that also have a disjointed hitbox. marth's only issue is he is weak below him due to unreliable dair and he doesn't have 6 jumps for spamming high above the stage. but marth is generally at an advantage when he and his opponent are in the air.

You mean fthrow -> dair? I wouldn't play specifically to get the grab, i would just play as i normally do and look for an opportunity to sneak the grab in. Just because you have a certain tactic, doesn't mean you must use it, your opponent will obviously know the tactic too and will **** you if they know you are planning on trying it. You typically want your opponent to be trying to get around something else when you throw out a technique, like walling him and pressuring him with fairs, causing him to shield and spotdodge at specific times, then surprise him with an empty short hop -> grab on the last stock.

shrodekill

Smash Cadet
Why is the dtilt so good? Whenever I watch marth's play I see them dtilt all the time, but I don't see why it is used so much.

Also, is there a trick to fair --> dtilt to make the fair cancel faster and get to the dtilt quicker?

shrodekill

Smash Cadet
D-Tilt setups for some nasty setups.
Like what? It seems to hit them out of range of anything I have and also doesnt hit-stun long enough for me to safely approach them after it. Dtilt-->Dtilt is the only "setup" i can use the dtilt for

sorry, I'm a dtilt nub

and does fair have more landing delay if u don't FF?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
D-Tilt setups for some nasty setups.
QFT.

@ above post: dtilt goes well into Dancing blade, dash shield grab, fair, nair, and if they attempt to get behind, the tilt allows for easy spacing resetting, allowing you to punish them if they do happen to attempt to get behind you. It also is one of marth's few great shield pressure moves, especially considering the lack thereof.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
1. Can Marth's D-tilt trip?

2. Is there a way to reliably tip F-smash on an opponent directly above you on a platform? I play on Battlefield regularly and whenever I break their shields, they always land on top of a platform. There is not enough space to fully tipper the charged Shield Breaker, and the weaker version kills significantly later than either the former or a fully charged tipper F-smash.

It seems that Marth has to be directly under the character for F-smash to tip, and it varies from character to character. Especially when the character is in the wobbling animation, I find that it's very difficult to even connect F-smash (tipper or not).

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
1. Can Marth's D-tilt trip?

2. Is there a way to reliably tip F-smash on an opponent directly above you on a platform? I play on Battlefield regularly and whenever I break their shields, they always land on top of a platform. There is not enough space to fully tipper the charged Shield Breaker, and the weaker version kills significantly later than either the former or a fully charged tipper F-smash.

It seems that Marth has to be directly under the character for F-smash to tip, and it varies from character to character. Especially when the character is in the wobbling animation, I find that it's very difficult to even connect F-smash (tipper or not).
1. no i don't think so

2. I'm actually making a list about where to stand to make the F-smash hit for each character. I'll get it up in a few days or so.
And don't stand DIRECTLTY under them, just a little bit more to the side.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
No Marth's DTilt doesn't trip. And if you want, either:

a) Throw out a Fsmash under a plat on BF and as the swing finishes, pause the game. See if you can make an arch, and that should be the tip hitbox for Fsmash.

b) Or even simpler, take a cpu, and situate it on the platform. Your choice.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
No Marth's DTilt doesn't trip. And if you want, either:

a) Throw out a Fsmash under a plat on BF and as the swing finishes, pause the game. See if you can make an arch, and that should be the tip hitbox for Fsmash.

b) Or even simpler, take a cpu, and situate it on the platform. Your choice.
Or even simpler, just wait a minute :).

Albert.

Smash Master
quick questions
how many of the usual marth Board posters were Roy Mains in melee? Anybody?

and what do you all think is the most popular color for Marth? I know it's not the default lol

BTW 101th post I think

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I recently watched a very useful guide on Youtube as to how I can footstool spike with Marth and where I have to DI and when I should delay a little to footstool spike certain chars. I couldn't remember all of that though so could you tell me what I have to do to properly footstool spike specific characters? To aid everyone you could even make it a thread.

Thanks

3xSwords

Smash Lord
quick questions
how many of the usual marth Board posters were Roy Mains in melee? Anybody?

and what do you all think is the most popular color for Marth? I know it's not the default lol

BTW 101th post I think
idk how many were Roy mains, but I wasn't.

white or light blue is the "noob" color, so I guess that makes them the most popular ;)

Edit: blah

Top Bottom