• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

folk!

Smash Apprentice
what are some good secondaries for marth? (besides snake or meta)
i would have to say falco.

i dont know the frame data, but is marths d-throw to fsmash guaranteed on meta when hes at o% or even like 10%. i find it to be quit useful, but i dont really see it used? anybody?

Plan-Z

Smash Rookie
im just curious...ive heard marth's B up is the fastest move in the game..is this true?

Scott!

Smash Lord
ZSS and Squirtle have the fastest moves, I think, since their jabs come out on frame 1. But DS does get invincibility frames starting on frame 1, so that's probably what you heard.

ark-angel

Smash Cadet
hey all, I am a marth noob and i was just wondering what is the best dancing blade combo to start a battle with i usaly use foward, foward,foward, down to get a combo started with d-tilt if you have a better suggestion please let me know!!! thank you.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Dancing blade down can be di'd out of and takes longer to finish then up or forward.

I like to sent them upwards because it allows juggling opportunities and does just as much damage as forward anyways.

Try not to use down a lot, use up and forward more.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
which is why one should probably use jab or even ftilt to get them off of you
Neither. A good Olimar will punish you for getting distracted. Ignore them and continue fighting Olimar. Your aerials will get them off. If you absolutely must get them off of you (like you got stuck with a white) use zoning aerials to remain safe. Jab and tilts will leave you open for a grab. Marth should never worry about his moveset diminishing, because you refresh the top 4 slots every time you connect a full dancing Blade, and your pummel is good, so you should refresh 2-4 when you connect a grab.

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the clarification Pierce7d.

Speaking of which, how exactly do diminishing returns work with dancing blade? I've heard different things about it. First I thought each of the 4 hits of a full DB go to resetting moves, but then I heard otherwise, that it only counts as one attack.

O.O
wut

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Thanks for the clarification Pierce7d.

Speaking of which, how exactly do diminishing returns work with dancing blade? I've heard different things about it. First I thought each of the 4 hits of a full DB go to resetting moves, but then I heard otherwise, that it only counts as one attack.

O.O
wut
Each hit of DB counts as one move, hence why it's so awesome.

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Each hit of DB counts as one move, hence why it's so awesome.
Yeah, I know that's why it's so godly. But like I said, I remember someone saying something like it's all just one move, not four.

But thanks for the clarification. My mind is now at rest =)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Remember, this means if you're able to hit your opponent with just the last two, or last hit of a fresh Dancing Blade, it will work incredibly well as a kill move. Some setups for this are:

Do a forward Dancing Blade into an opponent shielding near the edge. They'll get pushed off by the first two or three hits, and the last hits will connect, since the opponent's shield will drop.

When your opponent is falling above a platform, jump and use Dancing Blade slowly. Thinking not to fall in front of you, the opponent will often land on the platform, expecting to be out of range. You can then continue with the Upwards finish which can hit opponent's on platforms above you. Unstaled, this has incredible knockback, and can kill even earlier than Usmash I believe.

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
DB4 up hits through platforms (battlefield)? Orly...

I don't like using it at higher percents because usually my opponents can DI away and I'll just wiff that hit completely. >.<

I still have trouble tipping DB. It's so weird for me...

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
DB4 up hits through platforms (battlefield)? Orly...

I don't like using it at higher percents because usually my opponents can DI away and I'll just wiff that hit completely. >.<

I still have trouble tipping DB. It's so weird for me...
Battlefield, Lylat, I don't know about Yoshi's but maybe, and I forget about Smashville too. Also useful on Castle Seige, I dunno about Delfino, Brinstar is good, Halberd is **** because of the low ceiling, Norfair if that garbage stage is on in your region, etc.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I had a flame war? Who's aurashade?

*vaguely remembers this*
It's when you went into the link boards and showed a video involving a bomb gimp at Jungle Japes, and Aurashade did a whole bunch of flame and it escalated really quickly. I was like "rofl, wish I was there when it happened".

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
How do you avoid projectiles from disabling you to short hop walling or ground walling? I find them to be truly annoying when I am trying to counter attack them and shielding sometimes gets me grabbed. Also, how should I react if my SH fair gets shielded and they roll behind me while I am retreating in the air? Please don't tell my I shouldn't be in these situations, I know. I just want to know how to properly react to them.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
How do you avoid projectiles from disabling you to short hop walling or ground walling? I find them to be truly annoying when I am trying to counter attack them and shielding sometimes gets me grabbed. Also, how should I react if my SH fair gets shielded and they roll behind me while I am retreating in the air? Please don't tell my I shouldn't be in these situations, I know. I just want to know how to properly react to them.
1. Learn to powershield your projectiles. This will get you in quicker and limit their effectiveness.
2. Well most likely, you gonna get punished. Ideally you might wanna air dodge if they go for an aerial, or DB1 or Bair to turn around as quickly as possible.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Demonic, it really depends on the projectile. For most, and the best, projectiles you can just walk to powershield them, mixing it up with airdodging them and even ducking under some.

If they shield your fair, follow Rukkiko's advice pretty much. If you absolutely know they'll roll you could flatout punish them by Dancing Blading them, FF and walk away to reset the situation, double jump away to reset, or if you're feelin' real snazzy turn around and throw out a dtilt if you have enough time. If they walk away from it, which is their best option, you can FF and throw a dtilt/Dancing Blade out. If you notice that they constantly shield your fairs, you may want to throw in some empty SHFF's into grabs, or airdodge through them into grab. Oh, shieldbreaker, too, I guess vut that's a little advanced

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Ok lately, if my DB1 or 2 just misses, and my opponent rolls behind me, i just finish the combo as soon as possible. Where they are then behind me, i have moved a few steps forward. If i would have stopped the combo, i would have the ending lag of DB1 or 2, and i'd be closer to my opponent.
Just something i thought of and i use, but is it actually good, or should i just stop my DB combo if someone rolls behind me?

3xSwords

Smash Lord
You have much more lag if you complete the DB but if your opponent is hasty and just throws an attack ASAP then its a good strategy since the lag from his attack will more than likely compensate for the lag on your attack if he misses of course. But its not to be relied upon and only if you definitely couldn't have recovered in time from the lag of the first two strikes then go for it.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
That's actually pretty funny, as I was just thinking of what to do in that situation a few days ago. Basically, it can go a few ways. If they shield, I go for the green DB that hits multiple times in hopes of hitting them out of their shield. If I connect with the first hit but they end up rolling behind me, I'll either finish it and hopefully move forward and out of their range, or I'll just stop and shield as quickly as possible. It's pretty hard to interpret whether or not you should finish it when you're in a situation that requires you to think on your feet, but I normally just finish it. You're most likely going to be punished either way unless you can pull off a quick shield or get out of their range.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Hello. I'm picking up Marth because I love his playstyle and GW and some other characters are pissing me off. >_<

What are some of the basics things you need to know as Marth? Hitboxes of his moves so you can space correctly, or setups into kill moves? I'm confused.

Also, does he only have a few bad matchups? It really seems that way. Help por favor.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Hello. I'm picking up Marth because I love his playstyle and GW and some other characters are pissing me off. >_<

What are some of the basics things you need to know as Marth? Hitboxes of his moves so you can space correctly, or setups into kill moves? I'm confused.

Also, does he only have a few bad matchups? It really seems that way. Help por favor.
Welcome to Marth! First suggestion is to read the stickies, of course. There's a TON of really helpful info there. If there's stuff you don't understand, then check the other threads or ask it here. You should definitely become very familiar with Marth's range, because you almost always want to keep your opponent at the edge of this range, for tippage and such.

Concerning Marth's matchups, it's true that he has very few bad ones. MK, Snake, and Dedede are the only ones below neutral at the moment, as far as I know. But most of his matchups are fairly close to neutral. This just means that, a lot of the time, it's more about being the better player. Marth doesn't have abusable gimmicks like chaingrabs, spam, or MK's C-Stick. Marth requires that you play intelligently, which is the real challenge with him.

Don't be discouraged, though. Marth is a lot of fun.

Also, Steel is completely right. Spacing FTW.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Thanks for the help, can't wait to play him. =^_^=

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
What are the best stages to counterpick when using Marth? He is one of my Secondaries. :)

Tennet

Smash Champion
I know dtilt is the better option but if it is small enough, KO?
Then again it is situational...

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord

Lol I recognize you from AiB. If i remember correctly, you use MK. How on earth are G&Ws pissing you off?

Top Bottom