• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Almo

Smash Ace
Why would the c-stick have any influence if it was a tipper or not?

i hope you're not serious.

Albert.

Smash Master
BTW guys you know that you're never really buffering aerials fast enough if you use the CStick. It's at least 2-3 frames slower then using the "slide thumb from X>A button" method.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
It's just easier for me time with the C-stick.

Lrn2clawAlbert.

∫unk

Smash Master
It's uncomfortable for a few weeks then you get used to it.

It's hard because you have to learn when to switch and also learn how to use it, so you'll definitely take a step back in control/skill while you develop the skill, but in the long run it's worth it (grab release, any special you have to buffer off your jump, spacing).

Short hopping is hard on my index finger right as I switch to clawing. I end up full hopping a lot.

Reizilla

Setting L or R to jump is probably more comfortable.

I don't think claw is all that bad though. I just have to work on it.

Albert.

Smash Master
It's uncomfortable for a few weeks then you get used to it.

It's hard because you have to learn when to switch and also learn how to use it, so you'll definitely take a step back in control/skill while you develop the skill, but in the long run it's worth it (grab release, any special you have to buffer off your jump, spacing).

Short hopping is hard on my index finger right as I switch to clawing. I end up full hopping a lot.

It just seems like clawing is a very unnatural position for your fingers to be in. With guitar/bass/musical instruments, you're taught to keep everything relaxed and normal, having no wrists/joints out of place or twisted in weird ways. It seems like video game "tech abilities" would have similar hand-safety vulnerabilities as music "technical abilities"

Obviously none of this really matters if you don't do it for too long, but several well-practiced players like mTwoK and NEO have had hand/wrist problems. (NEO has diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome)

I personally love how the White Gamecube controller fits in my hands.

Setting L or R to jump is probably more comfortable.
I set L to jump for Fullhopping and so I don't accidentally hit it to roll.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
because calling it pivot walking is incorrect?

I wonder if theirs anyway to implement it into the metagame realistically.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I was trying to look around for an old thread I swore was up around here.

it was a list of all the guaranteed moves marth has on grab release on all the characters he has guaranteed stuff on.

search function didn't help either.

Does anyone have a back-up of the list or the link?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
It does have practical USES, since it's faster than regular walking, and you can't trip. It's just rather impractical to perform in situations where you would want to use it.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
It just seems like clawing is a very unnatural position for your fingers to be in. With guitar/bass/musical instruments, you're taught to keep everything relaxed and normal, having no wrists/joints out of place or twisted in weird ways. It seems like video game "tech abilities" would have similar hand-safety vulnerabilities as music "technical abilities"

Obviously none of this really matters if you don't do it for too long, but several well-practiced players like mTwoK and NEO have had hand/wrist problems. (NEO has diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome)

I personally love how the White Gamecube controller fits in my hands.

I set L to jump for Fullhopping and so I don't accidentally hit it to roll.
there's no reason not to claw, unless you want slow aerials

shrug

C.J.

Smash Master
Off the top of my head he has fair and maybe dash attack on Falco, however we can't force an air release on Falco.
We have fair on DDD, however we can't force an air release.
We have fair on Snake, however we can't force an air release.
We have fair on Diddy, however we can't force an air release.
We have fair, nair, uair, dair, bair, usmash, tipper fsmash (kinda hard to time), ftilt, and utilt on Wario.
We have fair, dair (different timings for on stage and offstage), nair (stupid hard to do), the first two hits of DB, and DS on MK.
And it looks like we MIGHT have fair on Sheik, but again, we can't force an air release on her either.

That's all off the top of my head.

Almo

Smash Ace
It does have practical USES, since it's faster than regular walking, and you can't trip. It's just rather impractical to perform in situations where you would want to use it.
it's faster than his fastest walk? i didn't realize that.

and you can't trip during a normal walk anyway.

idk i guess, i just can't think of anything that would matter so much that you would need to practice this.

Reizilla

dragonblooded, clawing is when you use your first finger to hit buttons like x y a and b so that you can use the cstivk with your thumb at the same time.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I only do that when im pivot walking, or want to spike mk out of his grab release

clowsui

Smash Legend
I got used to clawing in 3 days >_>; it was really natural to me. Short hopping is a little harder and doing SH Nair is really annoying for some reason but you gain full control over all your aerials including NAir...minutiae are easier w/ claw. Clawing w/ some characters doesn't have very much of a difference e.g. Falco so I just claw when I want to do a quick command. I might be edgeguarding Wario and then he wants to airdodge in...I notice and I switch to claw for a second input 2nd jump BAir and it catches them almost instantly and unless they know how claw works they're not prepared to DI

zer0.

Smash Apprentice
Is bair the best aerial to use while momentum canceling vertical knockback? If your charecter is facing the opposite direction you are DI'ing to. Or fair would be better because it's faster?

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
Does Dancing blade have a tipper of any sort? i. e. Can you get a tipper hit with dancing blade and hit them further than normal?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
he said yes that is correct YOU need to be more specific on your question then when he answered your previous one

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've decided to pick up Marth as a secondary to help me play against Ike's bad match ups (Olimar comes to mind). Kinda having trouble getting started so I just wanted to ask a few basic questions.

1. Do you f-air and b-air with the c-stick or analog?
2. Which is used most often, full hop or short hop?

jbandrew

Smash Lord
i think most people fair with the c stick and use the analog to move back as they fair to retreat (space).

2nd question: uhh depends on the matchup, vs MK you don't wanna be in the air too much so I SH more, but for a starter try getting used to SH'ing b4 full hopping becomes a bad habit. (if someone gets under marth he's screwed).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Thanks, and there was one more question I forgot to ask.

In Texas, we've been using the MLG rule and stage system, so it got me wondering...

1. What stages is Marth bad at? Neutrals and CPs.
2. What stages is he good at? Neutrals and CPs.

Almo

Smash Ace
Thanks, and there was one more question I forgot to ask.

In Texas, we've been using the MLG rule and stage system, so it got me wondering...

1. What stages is Marth bad at? Neutrals and CPs.
2. What stages is he good at? Neutrals and CPs.

if you're using the MLG rule set, all the normally legal stages still apply to the same thing. Good on battlefield, not so great on FD, ***** on gay stages like brinstar and RC vs. some characters, not so much against other characters.

A lot of Marth's good and bad stages are dependent on the match-up. For instance I think Marth is really good on Halberd, but if you throw him against Snake or DDD, it becomes a not so great stage. Frigate is pretty good vs. Diddy imo, but if they CP MK it's not going to be good.

That being said, I don't have a lot of knowledge of some of the other allowed stages, however I've played on them a few times in tournament.

Pictochat i wouldn't say is good for him because the default part is just like another FD, except the blast zones on the side are close, and the ceiling is very high. Even so, none of the transitions can be reliably used for follow-ups since it's always different, but a lot of formations have walls, which you can dtilt lock on some of them. I find myself having to maneuver too much around this stage for my liking.

Pokemon Stadium 2 I'm a big fan of, only because people's lack of practice on here makes them do really predictable things. The electric portion is very "platformy" and the conveyor belts can push them off to the sides of the stage. If you can control the middle, you should be able to rack up a ton of damage as it will be hard for them to get inside you. Other characters that work well with platforms and are controlling the middle present a problem, but planking until it returns to neutral wouldn't be a bad idea.

As for the wind portion, it's pretty self explanatory, and people for some reason like to throw themselves in the air. Characters above Marth = good for Marth. Also, since they can't fall much faster, your aerial movement and powerful air game can wreck a lot of characters here. If you end up above them, retreat to the ledge, it's pretty safe.

The ice portion people like to DACUS (Snake lol) or simply camp off the ice and throw projectiles out. Approaching will be a pain, but anyone that likes running across the ice with dash attacks or something is just asking to trip. Also no one really likes to go on the platforms I've noticed, put them up there and use it to your advantage.

The rock formation is pretty similar to PS1's rock formation. Just gonna be a lot of camping going on.

As far as the neutral portion goes, it's just like any other neutral, but your glaring weaknesses are the size and the blast zones are quite large. Campy characters will definitely have an advantage over you here because of your lack of a projectile.

Green Greens you die way earlier but you kill way earlier. The blocks are annoying. I don't know anything about this stage except I don't like it because it sucks lol

Japes is also dumb and please time them out if they take you here so you make them rethink every time they want to go here. I would ban this over FD vs. Falco.

Norfair I've played on a few times before in tournament, and the entire thing is air based. I'd say don't take characters that have strong aerial games here, as well as characters with bad recoveries. You almost always recover on this stage. Also, the outermost platforms you can kill/get killed way earlier than you would in the low center platform both vertically and horizontally. Try to stay in the middle at higher %, but lead them to the platforms when they're in killing range. The stage can be learned like any other stage, you just have to watch closely for the signals of which hazard is coming next.

To conclude this, I'd say stick to the normally allowed stages, and for the ones MLG added, only go there if you think you have a significant advantage in doing so or really like the stage.

Anyone who disagrees feel free to post why, I personally have no interest in these stages so I don't practice them.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Whats the deal with platform canceling? By which I mean what platforms can Marth cancel his second jump on?

I can do it consistently on SV, and on some platforms in PS1 and other stages, but not on others. At all.

Is it something to do with moving/transformation platforms only?

Top Bottom