• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
C'mon, mayne. It's mentioned like 10 times in the last 5 pages -_-

Dair as your feet pass through a moving platform.
Since it as been mentioned so many times, why do you continue to give out flawed information?

Perform any action while simultaneously pressing Down as you pass through a platform. Dair is a STUPID way to do it, because if you accidentally mess it up, you'll leave yourself very open. Typically, using a C-sticked Fair while holding Down is my own method of preference, especially when I'm trying to platform cancel from an odd angle, like out of getting hit by an attack as a momentum cancel.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Because I'm lazy and dairing with the c-stick gives you the most control and it's not hard to time if you actually, you know, practice.

∫unk

Smash Master
That's a bad reason rei-gun, and I've also corrected you on this before (although I believe I said any attack, I also do the non laggiest potential aerial, which in my case is b-air or n-air depending)

We like that you're helping just fix what you're saying :p

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Yeah, I know. I just got tired of typing mid-post XD

Is the frame data for platform drop OoS the same as just dropping through a platform? I think it's something people should practice more. When I had it consistently, iit was something I used a decent amount when pressured.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Since it as been mentioned so many times, why do you continue to give out flawed information?

Perform any action while simultaneously pressing Down as you pass through a platform. Dair is a STUPID way to do it, because if you accidentally mess it up, you'll leave yourself very open. Typically, using a C-sticked Fair while holding Down is my own method of preference, especially when I'm trying to platform cancel from an odd angle, like out of getting hit by an attack as a momentum cancel.
you make it sound like you can cancel momentum by platform canceling onto something. Is this the case? I guess I just never thought about using that application of it.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
you make it sound like you can cancel momentum by platform canceling onto something. Is this the case? I guess I just never thought about using that application of it.
If you're at higher percents, I would recommend using good DI instead. However, platform canceling is very good for regaining momentum at lower percents.

Also, please note that you do not have to be able to land on the platform with the elevation you are using to cancel onto it. You can actually platform cancel onto platforms you would not have ordinarily been able to land on with whatever jump you were using. For example, you can SH PC onto Lylat's platforms if done correctly (I don't think this is the case with the middle platform). You'll find it easier to full-hop.

Also, Rei-Gun, if you're not going to give accurate information, then don't answer questions at all. There are plenty of other people who will do it (especially since I've started monitoring this thread again). Misinformation is worse than no information at all. Being lazy is also worse than no excuse at all. This is a Q&A thread. It is foolish to expect someone with a simple question to read through an entire Q&A thread to try and find their answer, and people will have no way of knowing that their question was just recently asked.

Laem

Smash Champion
If you're at higher percents, I would recommend using good DI instead. However, platform canceling is very good for regaining momentum at lower percents.
Can you however, get launched with high velocity and cancel momentum (all momentum? just a little bit?) with PC?

earla

Smash Lord
is rolling ever the best/good option for marth in a situation?

is it always better to use backroll to get the extra 4 frames of invincibility? would u PIVOT then backroll as a substitute for forward roll?

thanks

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Rolling is generally useless, but I'm personally starting to think its an option I shouldn't ignore... as a mix up at best. Marth getting predicted to roll = owned.

-

And I've platform cancelled to remove all my momentum on yoshi's island brawl (when the platform was moving), at like 130% on a (wouldn't have killed me with good DI, but was sending me off pretty fast) hit.
It's awkward, and I've done it on accident, so I'm not sure of it's restrictions and what not.

Albert.

Smash Master
is rolling ever the best/good option for marth in a situation?

is it always better to use backroll to get the extra 4 frames of invincibility? would u PIVOT then backroll as a substitute for forward roll?

thanks
Rolling is generally a bad, unsafe habit but it has it's uses.

Maybe Pierce can clarify where/how/why it's useful, but most of the time you can escape situations better just by running/walking away

EDIT: I forgot to post this and then Shaya beat me to it lol

Player-3

Smash Hero
pivot backroll would be an interesting idea earla, since its faster and it has those invinci frames

roll is a mixup you CAN use though

i'm not quite sure how you would apply it though

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
People expect Marth to always be "infront" of you.

I'm thinking that a forward roll or pivot back roll upon a landing mix up into a rising retreating bair may... work once or twice.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Shaya tell them all how to beat diddy already, p3 wants to know.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay.

Platform camp on smashville all day with the power of platform cancelling.
Plank on the ledge with a percent lead with the dolphin slash instant-regrab, Diddy has nothing to avoid it.
If he moves in close enough within range, you easily can fair him on reaction.

best banana defense is:
sh/fh z drop retreating fair (regrab banana if feasible)
This is a defensive and walling manoeuvre though. You can't do this if diddy is in range of his forward air. Because if he is, it will hit you.
This is primarily good for covering dash to shields, dash grabs and dash attack.

Cross ups are important. His options to cover this aren't... too bad, but they're not standard play for most diddies (glide toss backwards/ glide toss downwards moving backwards). Back air is readily able to punish a cross over if it isn't well spaced/fast falled/predicted.

Baiting fairs from diddy is good.
Because even though its guaranteed to hit you,
if for some amazing miracle it doesn't
Go to town with any move you want. Ftilt is pretty easy in this regard.

Avoid getting grabbed.
This is like diddy's only real option against marth other than fair when he doesn't have a banana.

tibs7

Smash Champion
dont believe you player-three.

Ally should namesearch to tell us all what happened

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I was just about to answer myself. Oh well...

earla

Smash Lord
1. what are best applications for platform cancelling? i notice marths generally platform cancelling then dashing off to a fair.

2. on lylat, are there times you cannot platform cancel? i can't tell if i'm messing up the timing.

3. does marth have a jablock? i was thinking possibly on SV. if opponent is above you on platform in shield, you platform cancel, grab them, pummel release > dasc > jab lock > tipper f-smash > taunt haha

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
whats the point of platform caneceling if you're just going to do an aerial...?

idk about lylat, I think thats the case, culd be wrong

3. marth's untuippered jab does the reset

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
1.) Move quickly across the stage (especially on SV), edgeguarding, surprise grabs/smashes. theres tons of uses, you'll discover them on your own if you get the execution down to the point that you don't even have to think about it.

2.) Yep, you can only platform cancel while the platforms are tilting. Same deal on Yoshi's.

3.) jab, ftilt at low percents, thats it.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
It's not really "safe"
it's just it distances you a bit, which would make a "general reaction" shield grab whiff.
I'll also note that if you hit a shield with dancing blade, you're pretty much screwed, so what I like to do is make it into a mindgame with the opponent. If I notice they like to try to shieldgrab, I'll wait, then throw DB4 Green, which will hit them if timed right. If I notice that they like to wait until I finish completely, I just stop after the third hit and then retreat, since they often spend too much time in their shield.

Dancing blade isn't really "safe" frame-wise, but you can make it a lot more safe with mindgames.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
What is Marth saying in his taunts and win quotes? I think I can here the word mina which I think means everyone.

Top Bottom