• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I feel that everyone both has their own play style AND their level of proficiency at that level. As such, no two players are alike.

Level of play means nothing with play style and play style means nothing without level of play.

-Smash King-93

Smash Apprentice
i always thought my play style with ike was unique in its own way. not saying that its the best or impressive style you'll ever see but rather....its a style that haves it's ups and downs.
i think san and kimchi knows what i mean by that :(

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I can talk about synonyms and semantics all day.

@Light: I said level, not level of proficiency or level of play. I could have said that that he is next to a guy named Brett Level, playing the same game as Brett and they happen to be playing on the same level, or he's just about Brett's height, etc.

Serious: I see what you're getting at. I have to play so many Ikes on wifi, it's hard for me to pinpoint any general playstyle, just specific things that a person prefers to do more often in certain situations. Not to mention how wifi flubs/muffles the way people play anyways.

I really meant that if he went to a couple tourneys, I believe he's capable of doing pretty well. I kinda wrote it the way I wanted to see how some people react too, lol. He generally makes wise decisions with his moves, and a little more practice, especially offline, would do wonders.

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
I believe receiving damage from the Pikmin latched onto you will freshen up Olimar's attacks. Also, be wary of the white Pikmin when it latches on you, for it will do 6% each attack.
wait so attacking while pikmin are latched onto you causes more damage or were u talking about the pikmin itself? I hate olimar in any case grabs are broken. I got 4 stocked by an olimar. well till i learned how to play that is.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
wait so attacking while pikmin are latched onto you causes more damage or were u talking about the pikmin itself? I hate olimar in any case grabs are broken. I got 4 stocked by an olimar. well till i learned how to play that is.
Mr. Doom was saying that while the Pikmin are attacking you, Olimar's other attacks in general become fresh. Similar to how pummeling refreshes moves... and being KOd refreshes moves. Basically you don't want the Pikmin on you for very long at all, so use an Nair or something and dispose of them (depending on their location, even a quick jab can get them). Attacking with them on you changes nothing; it just means you'll get hit by them more if the attack you use doesn't kill them.

:034:

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
Mr. Doom was saying that while the Pikmin are attacking you, Olimar's other attacks in general become fresh. Similar to how pummeling refreshes moves... and being KOd refreshes moves. Basically you don't want the Pikmin on you for very long at all, so use an Nair or something and dispose of them (depending on their location, even a quick jab can get them). Attacking with them on you changes nothing; it just means you'll get hit by them more if the attack you use doesn't kill them.

well in order to refresh moves an attack must be used, so the pikmin attacking are considered olimars attacks as well?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
well in order to refresh moves an attack must be used, so the pikmin attacking are considered olimars attacks as well?
I don't really know, and from how Mr. Doom phrased it I don't think he was certain either. All I can say is that either way it's best to get the Pikmin off of you a.s.a.p.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I would think so. He threw them so its his projectile, so I'm guessing that would still be considered under his power when they attack you on their own.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Well, you can consider one anomaly: (just tossing this out there) Spamus' Z-Air. It neither stales nor freshens up moves. That's why I'm not certain whether or not the Pikmin latched onto an opponent freshens Olimar's attacks.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
So when pikmin are latched on, try to get rid of them, countering being a possibility but predictable. Reason: You get hit and you don't want to get hit. Possible second reason: Olimar's moves freshen up to about killing power. So far so good? Question about what Mr. Doom said about Samus's Z-Air, does this also apply to Link?

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Strangely enough, Spamus' Z-air is the only z-air that doesn't freshen up attacks, and Lucas' if you want to be technical, since Lucas' doesn't have a hit-box.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
So when pikmin are latched on, try to get rid of them, countering being a possibility but predictable. Reason: You get hit and you don't want to get hit. Possible second reason: Olimar's moves freshen up to about killing power. So far so good? Question about what Mr. Doom said about Samus's Z-Air, does this also apply to Link?
i dont think so, but it might do, we have a samus in the uk, abuses the hell outta zair, its actually his kill move if he decides not to go for the kill normally XP

and with the pikmin thing, yes, they DO refresh olimar's moves, this is why i feel counter is a good choice agaisnt this, because it starts up reasonably quick seeing as you know its gonig to activate, the move DOES NOT refresh his other moves if it is countered, so if you counter if before they can pummel you, they will all die because the hitbox covers your entire body (just tested this now along with the stale moves) and it wont refresh his moves in the slightest, win-win, because if the oliamr is any sort of human they'll want to punish the non existant ending lag (vulnerable ending lag anyway) on counter, you could probably jab or something when they get caught out by the lack of lag. i've yet to try this technique out in proper competition, i'm going to a smashfest next week so ill try it out then (theres an olimar main going) ill let you know how it goes down

...i'm good at these text walls arent i?

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Couldn't Olimar just stay away from Ike's jab range and space a grab after Ike's counter attack...? I dunno how long Ike is vulnerable after a Counter attack but I'm sure Olimar can just grab him from a range with little risk.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^ Well, that's the thing I was primarily concerned about. The only time I see this counter thing being effective is when you're far away, so you can kill off the pikmin on you, or if you know that Olimar likes to rush in when you get close to him. Otherwise, there's more downside than upside.

I bet this guy was jizzing in his pants after he beat Red-X online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWfqK7DItl0

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Couldn't Olimar just stay away from Ike's jab range and space a grab after Ike's counter attack...? I dunno how long Ike is vulnerable after a Counter attack but I'm sure Olimar can just grab him from a range with little risk.
and this is why we hate him...
readng a few pages back i said it requires timing to use it to its fullest, he has a pretty short vulnerability time after counter, so if spaces correctly its pretty good, sadly he can also force pikmin to come back with whistle, but i doubt that will be on his mind.
in other words, when you have a pikmin latched onto you, you have a mix between a f-tilt and QD in your arsenal (that about as basic as i can put it) possibly making the matchup vs. olimar slightly more bearable (would still use a secondary for him though XD)
I bet this guy was jizzing in his pants after he beat Red-X online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWfqK7DItl0
so many d-tilts...the true move to show that wifi ****ed up your jab cancel

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I could never hate my secondary!
And why would QD be a reasonable move when you have pikmin latched on? Isn't there somewhat bad lag after hitting even a single pikmin, making Ike vulnerable?
you dont get me, waht i mean is that counters power and range is similar to that of QD, is ends faster, so basically you cna use counter as a normal attack when a pikmin is latched on...
yknow what, jsut go look at it yourself, turn brawl on, get someone to throw a pikmin at you (not a purple one) and then use counter

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Using counter makes you vulnerable on frame 7 (after you retaliate, that is), and you can interrupt this move on frame 37. You basically have half a second where you're open, no pun intended. I tried doing this when the Norfair wall of lava appeared; I would counter inside the wall of lava. But a Falco/Wolf player would still be able to hit me with lasers while I'm in the wall of lava.

Yeah, not very reliable, but gimmicky. I'll give you that.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Okay, from that I got: counter is similar to QD in terms of attack and range and can be used as a normal attack when latched on by pikmin. Is this what you're saying so far? However, this still doesn't explain to me how
Golden-psyco said:
when you have a pikmin latched onto you, you have a mix between a f-tilt and QD in your arsenal
Oh and I would love to try this out myself, but my Wii failed it's disc-reading class during production. I don't think my parents would allow me to send the Wii back a second time just for me to play one game. I'm sorry if I sounded like/still sound like I'm trolling.

EDIT: Please remember that I am a noob here and only wish to further my game with Ike as much as I can.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
My first post was about asking for someone to critique my video. It turned out that I posted in the wrong thread, so I asked in the right thread.

I made a "Making Dat Money Like Ally" gif and placed the gif in my modded doom levels, but the screen capturing software that I'm using crashes when I try to save it as a gif. It's time to get creative...

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Done with Super Mario Galaxy 2 so it's back to brawl for me starting tomorrow. Gotta get prepared for next MLG I guess. Who else is going?

My first post... not sure, probably just a random comment. I've learned it's better not to make my own topics a long time ago. I think one of my first posts was a video critique also.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
What is with this counter attack vs Olimar discussion?

You'd be much better off using Nair.
Considering that you can counter a PIKMIN, but OLIMAR will still be able to move, shield, dodge, GRAB, etc... the hitlag during counter initiation takes a lot longer than Nair. Nair also leaves you much less open for ending lag. You can also follow up your Nair with Utilt, Bair, etc... you can't follow up a counter. Nair will also get the Pikmin off of you.
Only time I counter Pikmin is when Oli is far away from me and it's a type of Pikmin I want DEAD, not just off of me. Or when I want to look cool. But don't try to look cool when you're up in Oli's face. Looking cool doesn't always win matches.

BTW, don't just panic and try to kill the little leeches as soon as they latch on to you. You're Ike, and you can take more damage than Olimar can. If it's going to mess up an approach, don't get rid of the Pikmin yet. Lots of approaches will get Pikmin off of you anyway. It's best to eat a little damage and possibly get Olimar in an unfavorable position.
(Also, if it helps, I think this match-up is actually one where it's viable to use dash attack as an approach. Make him start throwing stuff at you and dash attack in unless he throws a purple.)

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I talk/play with shaky all the time on AIM/ wifi. I only played shaky once at MLG Orlando and won, but he almost started to pull off an epic comeback against me. We placed the same at MLG Orlando anyways, too.

About olimar, if you counter the pikmin, isn't it laggy enough that he can just pluck and throw more pikmin at you?

Also, on AiB there are a legion of wifi Ike players who I think just need to go to tournaments and obtain more knowledge of the general gameplay mechanics to improve a lot in the game. I have a lot of them on AIM, but I should try to guide them/give them as many tips as I can lol.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
So Nair > counter when getting rid of pikmin? I guess it makes sense since you can follow up with other moves. And don't bother taking the risk of some damage from being latched? As for the dash attack thing, it's better to approach Olimar with it right?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Dash attack = do it when Olimar's too busy throwing Pikmin at you. This is the best time to ignore a latched Pikmin. A LOT of dumb Olimars are easy to bait into doing this. Smart ones are tougher, but I guarantee that if you're smarter than Oli, you'll make it happen a lot. If he throws a purple, though, it'll mess up your approach and you should avoid it anyway, because purples have knockback.
Oh, and dash attack is also good because Olimar players seem to be pretty dumb with their DI sometimes. Dash attack is good for sending people offstage, and offstage is exactly where you want Olimar to be.

And Nair > counter for getting rid of Pikmin when you're close to Olimar/trying to hit him.
But if you're far away and nothing is happening, counter away.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Yes, just kill the pikmin with Nair. And what San said made me lol because it's so true and simple. They'll just throw more pikmin at you since you're in a neutral position if you use Counter. Dash attacks as an approach is not good, but good to punish and it can put Olimar in a near death position.
Also, Ike hitting pikmin=hitlag on attacks. Something to think about since it can mess up things for you. >.>
Or you can try a full charged eruption on them rofl

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's best to use dash attack if you predict olimar will throw pikmin. It's actually a pretty good risk/reward, because dash attack is so good, it could instantly throw them offstage or at least a good enough height to get messed up in the air.

In the air, nair messes oli up a lot. Since oli falls really slow, it's possible to nair oli, and still have time to jab if he air dodges it. Nair can hit oli out of air dodge, too. If you space the moves correctly, it'll be hard for oli to challenge your range in the air.

Be wary that it may only work a few times with mixups(aka spaced nair). Bthrow to dash attack still works on a lot of people, too, even though people say it's not guaranteed (idk how they determined this, like which way they DI the throw, etc)

Side-Note: if oli didn't have that purple, he would be soo more predictable/easy to beat lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im gonna be making sure san gets in a few games with biglou too.

its like they play exactly the same lol. spotdodge jab, space fairs, fall with nairs, kill stupid early...

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I feel so screwed when luigi side-dodges my stuff or manages or I miss when he air dodges. As long as I don't let that happen and let him get super close to me, I'm good T_T
I'm good though cause that's all Luigi will really do vs me as far as I know lol.

I need to work on my aether spam technique on japes. It's so fun. I can't see myself losing here very easily if I play correctly except for the usual 2-3 good characters there and freak accidents XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Done with Super Mario Galaxy 2 so it's back to brawl for me starting tomorrow. Gotta get prepared for next MLG I guess. Who else is going?

My first post... not sure, probably just a random comment. I've learned it's better not to make my own topics a long time ago. I think one of my first posts was a video critique also.
Weak, I'm going for 100% completion. That game is straight up amazing, and I'm not even a Mario fanboy. Definitely does deserve more than just having the game beat.

I saw that Legion of Ike group too...I enjoy trolling it. Though I do want to attend that wifi tourny just for lolz. More trolling.

Brett and Slaps, you going to the BBrawl tourny? I want to get some offline vBrawl practice in. Zac said he'll let some set ups have regular brawl once the tourny dies down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom