• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Well, it's not like I'm gonna use them in tournaments unless I get into top 12 or something(which is probably never happening in this region).

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Just got back from seeing Dane Cook live. Anyone who thinks he isn't funny needs to get their heads reattached. Best comedy show I have ever seen or been to. By far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ_A5c8FiHI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQhqGTxxjbI

^^^ I particularly could not stop laughing when he did those bits.

In other news, I may be repping my city's smash community against a local university's smash scene. I'm so hyped cause our next tourney wasn't supposed to be until February so I'll finally have some competitive action.

:034:

Palpi

Smash Hero
He is not nearly as funny as many other comedians. He also overrated to the point of insanity.

-

Don't listen to him Redx!

Play me on Wifi throughout the next few weeks, I am trying to get my marth and falco up to part with my MK. Also, im gonna test out my fox a bit lol

Don't say 'my wii is off' bull ****!!!!!!

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Don't listen to him Redx!

Play me on Wifi throughout the next few weeks, I am trying to get my marth and falco up to part with my MK. Also, im gonna test out my fox a bit lol

Don't say 'my wii is off' bull ****!!!!!!
lmfao I got a router now so I'll be on wifi/AiB ladder a lot more now.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
He is not nearly as funny as many other comedians. He also overrated to the point of insanity.
QFT. Dumb Canadians.
Jealous Americans :lick:

Seriously, why do people seem to be afraid of saying they think he's funny online? I haven't met a single person IRL who doesn't like him, and I've seen plenty of his shows in the U.S. They sell out as fast as Led Zeppelin reunion concerts.

At least give a valid reason as opposed to just the usual "he's not funny". Any dumb flamer can say that and either not mean it or mean it but not know why.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Jealous Americans :lick:

Seriously, why do people seem to be afraid of saying they think he's funny online? I haven't met a single person IRL who doesn't like him, and I've seen plenty of his shows in the U.S. They sell out as fast as Led Zeppelin reunion concerts.

At least give a valid reason as opposed to just the usual "he's not funny". Any dumb flamer can say that and either not mean it or mean it but not know why.

Yea he's gonna have his shows sold out, but maybe that goes along the lines of being famous? Bob Saget sucks as a comedian, but he manages to get his stuff sold out just cause of his name. Heck, even I would go see his show, cause it's freakin' Bob Saget. As far as Dane Cook goes, I've watched his stuff, and while it may be humorous to some, it's not to me. I've seen better comedians, both underground and main stream that are better. Also, I actually know more people that don't like him than do.

Edit: I watched that second link, and I didn't even crack a smile. What's so great about it?

Edit 2: I find this funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OhIAAKFGws&feature=related

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yea he's gonna have his shows sold out, but maybe that goes along the lines of being famous? Bob Saget sucks as a comedian, but he manages to get his stuff sold out just cause of his name. Heck, even I would go see his show, cause it's freakin' Bob Saget. As far as Dane Cook goes, I've watched his stuff, and while it may be humorous to some, it's not to me. I've seen better comedians, both underground and main stream that are better. Also, I actually know more people that don't like him than do.

Edit: I watched that second link, and I didn't even crack a smile. What's so great about it?
Humor is different for different people. Just because you or anyone else don't find something funny doesn't mean it's not funny. Besides, at this point I'm curious as to whether you say you didn't find it funny at all just to take a stab at Dane Cook and my argument in general. You may not even have watched the second clip. The internet hides many things since it's just the written word.

I've seen comedians that can come up with better punch-lines than Dane Cook but I have never seen a comedian so willing to put every ounce of energy into vividly acting out and conveying his jokes in the most elaborate way possible. And since he does satire, people can connect with his jokes and find it funny because it may have happened to them.

Satire isn't for everyone though, it's one type of humor. It's my type of humor, so I like Dane Cook.

You know what's a funny thought? I bet if some other comedian who wasn't as famous and hyped up as Dane Cook told the same jokes that Dane Cook comes up with, a lot of haters would think that guy was genuinely funny. Is it just because he's so famous that people choose not to like him?

Edit: See I won't lie, I laughed at that clip you put up. But it's not true at all. He's being enormously sarcastic, which makes it satire. So if you find that funny, why not Dane Cook? It's the exact same style of humor just with more energy and pantomiming.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Humor is different for different people. Just because you or anyone else don't find something funny doesn't mean it's not funny. Besides, at this point I'm curious as to whether you say you didn't find it funny at all just to take a stab at Dane Cook and my argument in general. You may not even have watched the second clip. The internet hides many things since it's just the written word.

I've seen comedians that can come up with better punch-lines than Dane Cook but I have never seen a comedian so willing to put every ounce of energy into vividly acting out and conveying his jokes in the most elaborate way possible. And since he does satire, people can connect with his jokes and find it funny because it may have happened to them.

Satire isn't for everyone though, it's one type of humor. It's my type of humor, so I like Dane Cook.

You know what's a funny thought? I bet if some other comedian who wasn't as famous and hyped up as Dane Cook told the same jokes that Dane Cook comes up with, a lot of haters would think that guy was genuinely funny. Is it just because he's so famous that people choose not to like him?

Edit: See I won't lie, I laughed at that clip you put up. But it's not true at all. He's being enormously sarcastic, which makes it satire. So if you find that funny, why not Dane Cook? It's the exact same style of humor just with more energy and pantomiming.
I've only watched 3 comedian performances actively. Chappelle, Russel Peters, and Dane Cook. Dane was actually the third introduced to me by someone, and I just don't find his stuff funny. I DID watch that second clip, and I didn't like how he presented it. Sometimes putting too much energy into your performance can be just um...too much. I've watched a few of his other performances before, one skit I clearly remember being called "burger king". The other was making fun of Opera. I barely found either of those funny. Not something I would laugh at. He's just overrated.

And to your statement about if some underground guy came up and told the same jokes, I honestly wouldn't find him funny either. I think a big portion of being funny depends on how you present it. People like Dane Cook who lay it all out is just too much for me. I think that's a big reason why a lot of people dislike Cook. He can sometimes be too much of a "in your face" kinda guy. Chappelle and Russel are a bit more laid back, which is something I prefer.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I've only watched 3 comedian performances actively. Chappelle, Russel Peters, and Dane Cook. Dane was actually the third introduced to me by someone, and I just don't find his stuff funny. I DID watch that second clip, and I didn't like how he presented it. Sometimes putting too much energy into your performance can be just um...too much. I've watched a few of his other performances before, one skit I clearly remember being called "burger king". The other was making fun of Opera. I barely found either of those funny. Not something I would laugh at. He's just overrated.

And to your statement about if some underground guy came up and told the same jokes, I honestly wouldn't find him funny either. I think a big portion of being funny depends on how you present it. People like Dane Cook who lay it all out is just too much for me. I think that's a big reason why a lot of people dislike Cook. He can sometimes be too much of a "in your face" kinda guy. Chappelle and Russel are a bit more laid back, which is something I prefer.
Well it's all opinion, I don't think he's overrated and I definitely found the Burger King and Oprah ones funny (I think I know what ones you mean... "Everybody gets SCHOOOOLS!!"). And what I said about the new face telling Dane Cook's jokes, I meant in a different style. Like, same jokes but in a laid back style instead of all full of energy.

IMO presentation is everything. If somebody came up to you and started talking about how white Canadians talk funny in a dead-serious and pissed off tone of voice like he genuinely wanted to kill a white Canadian just because they talk weird... that wouldn't be funny. The way that comedian presented it made it funny. The way Dane Cook presents his jokes makes it funny to a different kind of audience and repels the audience that prefers the typical laid-back style.

You know what it reminds me of? The movie Happy Gilmore. If you know why I'll give you a cookie. Awesome movie.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I fail to see what is "fun" about stealing your teammate's stocks and then promptly stomping him literally to death as he tries to fight BOTH of the opponents.
WHYYYYYYY

Dane Cook maybe says one funny thing per show. And then he realizes he ACTUALLY SAID SOMETHING FUNNY and he goes and goes and goes and runs the joke to death several times over until you want to shoot him in the d***, let him bleed out and bring him to a taxidermy clinic so you can have your own personal Dane Cook punching bag forever.

Just sayin'.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
What's the best method for recording replays? I have a few I'd like critiqued but don't know how best to go about it...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
What's the best method for recording replays? I have a few I'd like critiqued but don't know how best to go about it...
Somebody else could probably help you with that.........
Boooo fail pun!

/fail

Either buy a capture card or send replays to someone who has one.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Using a web cam, digicam, or video cam aren't ideal, because the quality sucks and it strains the eyes of the viewers. Best route is definitely to use a capture card or send your replays to someone who has a capture card.

EDIT: WOW. Penta sent me all these replays and wants me to make a montage using this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZuVHQcZlNA

I dunno what to say.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
I felt as though I didnt get a real answer. A lot of it seemed like sarcasm.

Whose the best Ike player around town? I dont care for online since its stupid. Also, if I wanted to watch vids of good Ikes to get a feel for how Ike should be played who should I watch?

I looked for Inui and Rok vids but they're either old or nonexistent. No teams vids please.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^Watch San, Kirk, Bored. My Ike needs improvement, so you don't have to watch mine if you don't want to, but this is the latest embarrassment I have to offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzHWwR1wLvM

If it ain't 8000, it ain't Mr. Doom.
In your defense Mr. Doom, I wouldn't have done much better. I can't take friendlies like that seriously.

Tyser, the top 5 Ike players in any order are San, Kirk, Ren, Me, and Inui? Idk.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
Hm. Capture cards are interesting, but I think I'm just gonna have to send them to someone.

A few questions though...

- At the edge of the stage, after you've got back on, what should you do to get back towards centre stage? I always try to time a good roll, but ofc that's a bad idea, I get punished a lot.
- I've been playing with Tap jump and never using X/Y for a long time, is it worth changing? I can never do stuff of the ledge, and I think this is probably the reason (I can use X to jump from the ledge for an AD/DAir/FAir but not consistently, and not under pressure).

And of course, - Who wants to see the replays first :p

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hm. Capture cards are interesting, but I think I'm just gonna have to send them to someone.

A few questions though...

- At the edge of the stage, after you've got back on, what should you do to get back towards centre stage? I always try to time a good roll, but ofc that's a bad idea, I get punished a lot.
- I've been playing with Tap jump and never using X/Y for a long time, is it worth changing? I can never do stuff of the ledge, and I think this is probably the reason (I can use X to jump from the ledge for an AD/DAir/FAir but not consistently, and not under pressure).

And of course, - Who wants to see the replays first :p
Depends on your opponent's habits. Normally though, I just try to jump reverse double jump over them and come down with an N-air or F-air. Rolling is stupid. You can also try to grab the opponent and throw him off stage to change positions.

No comment on the tap jump stuff. I leave it on.

I can try to upload your replays or certain ones. But you will have to put them on your computer and upload them to a site (megaupload, etc...) for me to dl since I don't have internet on my wii. I'm in Finals week, so you might have to wait. The quality on my card is average at best. But I will let you know that most people find it annoying to upload other people's matches cause it's time consuming.

Speaking of Ren, can anyone send me links to his more recent vids?
The last thing I can think of was some doubles stuff he had with Kirk and he played Lain's DDD. So search "Lain, Ren, Brawl, Ike" or something like that. He doesn't like to be recorded so people don't figure out his stuff.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Bored, that would be great, don't worry about doing them soon.

Trouble is, I'm not sure which replays are the right ones o_O I have six on my SD card, one of which at least is a replay of a random Marth glitch I'd never seen before (instant death by Side-B into DDD's Neutral-B). At least 4 of the others should be Ike vs Snake or Ike vs Marth, so just pick one :p

http://www.mediafire.com/?ton0zdmlkzn

A few notes on them though...
- I can't seem to SHNAir any more, I keep FHNAiring instead and landing on platforms.
- I was practicing my JC stuff a bit, and the guy I was playing admitted being vulnerable to UTilt xD Seems to be pretty safe on shield though.

EDIT: This is a much better replay, I played kinda how I wanted to in this match.

http://www.mediafire.com/?enzm5zj5ei5

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I got an A+ in my piano jury today. =D
I've seen A and A- for myself and other students in semesters past, but I'm the first A+ I've seen in a piano concentration jury. I'm happy.
Oh and if you're wondering, a jury is when I play in front of the piano faculty at the end of the semester and get my whole grade based on my performance. This is why I'm excited.

Niddo-- I've never been extremely fond of Green Greens. Meh. Besides, those bombs fall on top of my head and spike me while I'm holding an awkward direction like every time I play there. I would call that a good enough reason for illegality. I'm not going to help in that debate.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
I kinda get annoyed by Green Greens, I tend to SD a bit too much there. Theoretically it's a great stage but I just can't play smart there o_O

Congrats Brett :)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Overall, I do better at Green Greens then Pirate Ship. >_> It's a good stage for Ike, his full jab combo kills insanely early. lol

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
I've become more partial to Brinstar as Ike recently. Just sayin'.
Brinstar is pretty good. CPed it playing against a D3 in friendlies the other day. Made it impossible to CG and retreating is easier due to the extra side when landing onto the main platform though. My only issue with it would be the hitlag when using Dair or eruption on those regenerating cells, but then again any good Ike main would refrain from using those moves in such a manner.

As for Green Greens, there's a lot to do on the stage but my last time playing on that map was anything but pleasent. Being stuck in D3's wall infinite isn't fun in general.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Every time I CPd green greens when it was legal, I lost. Any way to approach someone who is just standing still on the left or right sides?

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Pfffft, you guys and your ridiculous couterpicks >.>

Green Greens promotes ledge camping for Ike imo(not saying that's bad) and he has that glitch which was discussed in a thread I saw here lol

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
That glitch is random, works with a lot of characters, and isn't replaceable on demand. >_>

Just standing there? Break the blocks in the way, and smartly make your way over there. Or better yet: have the % lead and let them just stand there. lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm not going to FS, so I could care less. Never been a fan of Green Greens. I think the only person who uses it well is Kirk.

EDIT: Though I can see it hampering some characters and giving an advantage to Ike. I'm sure Sonic would have a tough time on that stage along with Samus. So if you know how to use that stage, it can work in your favor.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'm not going to FS, so I could care less. Never been a fan of Green Greens. I think the only person who uses it well is Kirk.

EDIT: Though I can see it hampering some characters and giving an advantage to Ike. I'm sure Sonic would have a tough time on that stage along with Samus. So if you know how to use that stage, it can work in your favor.
1) ;_;

2) Both Xyro and Espy love that stage IIRC. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom