• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
wtf?lmao
and yea..there are too many liquor stores here in my neighborhood>.>
you wouldn't believe the amount of drunks that wander here at night lol

3 dollars?cheapo:(
LOL

and i told you about the LTT when the try outs were taking sign ups D:
you fail

are ya going to bon qui qui...or whatever its called...in mineola ?
After tournies, I usually have like...15 bucks left, and I need money for the train soo yeeaa...

I have the title of "smash n00b" as my title, that'd be great letting somebody with that title try out lmao

And I don't think I can go to Mineola >.>

wut......

theeboredone

Smash Legend
lol use an ad blocker o.O
mozilla has an amazing one
I was talking about the ads that load on the page. Meaning you have to wait a small bit and then click "skip it". Of course I use Mozilla. If you are not using Mozilla, you better be using something that's NOT Internet Explorer.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
In other news, my mom has hidden my Wii somewhere in my house, I'm being plagued by schoolwork, and I think I'm slowly becoming an insomniac as a result. 3 AP Classes is no joke :ohwell:. Hopefully, maybe I can find my Wii and play my Low Tier Match. Otherwise, I'm going to be asking one lucky person to take my spot <_<.
:025:

metroid1117

Smash Master
In other news, my mom has hidden my Wii somewhere in my house, I'm being plagued by schoolwork, and I think I'm slowly becoming an insomniac as a result. 3 AP Classes is no joke :ohwell:. Hopefully, maybe I can find my Wii and play my Low Tier Match. Otherwise, I'm going to be asking one lucky person to take my spot <_<.
:025:
What APs?

And don't worry man, I know how you feel; having 4 APs was not fun at all :urg:. You'll make it though though :).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
>_> I hate my college...don't know why they use a + and - system...probably gonna get a low A and not get a 4.0 cause of the stupid system. I hate life. I hate pre-med. Medical terms...so many useless terms.

Random fact: A.C. does not mean air conditioning...it means Before Meals.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
You use A, B, C, D + and - systems? Man, we just use percents up here. You get percent scores on all your assignments and crap throughout the year, and then everything is weighted (like, tests are given more weight factor than little write-ups), and you get a final percent score for your term. Much easier to understand and much more accurate than letter systems IMO.

:034:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You use A, B, C, D + and - systems? Man, we just use percents up here. You get percent scores on all your assignments and crap throughout the year, and then everything is weighted (like, tests are given more weight factor than little write-ups), and you get a final percent score for your term. Much easier to understand and much more accurate than letter systems IMO.

That sounds even tougher lol. I mean, a lot of colleges just do A = 4.0, B = 3.0, C = 2.0 etc...

+ and - is weird...A+ = 4.0, A- = 3.6...lame.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
That is lame. My college has just A B C D F--- and then for my piano juries at the end of the semester, there IS a + and - system, but it doesn't affect anything.
Like, I got an A my first semester... and then an A- second semester, but still got an A for the semester on my GPA. They just gave me the minus to say "Practice ALL of your pieces enough so you don't get a B next time."

I'm glad to see Red-X has joined SWF, by the way.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
That is lame. My college has just A B C D F--- and then for my piano juries at the end of the semester, there IS a + and - system, but it doesn't affect anything.
Like, I got an A my first semester... and then an A- second semester, but still got an A for the semester on my GPA. They just gave me the minus to say "Practice ALL of your pieces enough so you don't get a B next time."

I'm glad to see Red-X has joined SWF, by the way.
College seems complicated, I'm a senior in high school planning on going to college =/

And thanks Brett, AiB Ike boards are like...almost dead lol

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
College seems complicated, I'm a senior in high school planning on going to college =/

And thanks Brett, AiB Ike boards are like...almost dead lol
College is fun. What do you plan on pursuing as a major?

-----------------
Oh yeah, I forgot: Last night, there was a pretty scrubby tourney on campus here at UNT. I got 3rd of... I think 64 entrants. Single elim FTL. Haha, I love it when people say things like "Wow, I've never seen Ike go that fast!!!"

(My loss was embarrassing. I had a perfect jab off the edge to Dair going and I WHIFFED. And my opponent was above 100% so it was an easy edgehog and I lost my stock.)

-RedX-

Smash Lord
College is fun. What do you plan on pursuing as a major?

-----------------
Oh yeah, I forgot: Last night, there was a pretty scrubby tourney on campus here at UNT. I got 3rd of... I think 64 entrants. Single elim FTL. Haha, I love it when people say things like "Wow, I've never seen Ike go that fast!!!"
I honestly haven't thought about any of that stuff >_> I just know what college I'm (PROBABLY) going to lol

Why didn't you get 1st if it was a "scrubby" tourney?lmao
Was there any money in it?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Well, there are a few other legit players here at UNT. I think at that tourney... there were about... 5 or 6 people who would be able to beat me (AKA my friends who also wanted to beat up on scrubs =P). And no, first place got like coupons for free tacos or something. It was a free tourney. Makes me sad, because I was in a money spot (assuming money was involved). =[

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
he's going to any college that has the words red in it :laugh:
duh

anyway,i have a question
has anyone here pulled off "DASC" in a match yet?
like seriously pulled it off in a REAL match?

not a ganon ditto...but a real competitive match lmao?

-RedX-

Smash Lord
he's going to any college that has the words red in it :laugh:
duh

anyway,i have a question
has anyone here pulled off "DASC" in a match yet?
like seriously pulled it off in a REAL match?

not a ganon ditto...but a real competitive match lmao?
What kind of colleges have the word red it in anyway?>_>

I did the DASC only once so far on wifi =/
I set it up by b-throwing them towards the edge, and because of shield habits, my opponent(was Pikachu, around 147%+) put up a shield and I dash attacked, it canceled, my opponent dropped the shield, then I bair'd right after that, it killed =O
It felt sooo satisfying lmao I has replay =p

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
147 pikachu huh ;_;

lmao guess that's better than me already

and you should post your compilation here too
i thought it was pretty flashy :o lol

-RedX-

Smash Lord
147 pikachu huh ;_;

lmao guess that's better than me already

and you should post your compilation here too
i thought it was pretty flashy :o lol
I can't seem to do it again though lmao

Umm, idk, maybe sometime later, I didn't even make the vid lol

I've used DACUS several times in real matches. Mainly against Diddy Kongs
Just noticed how similar DASC and DACUS look -.-
They're 2 completly different ATs
DASC: Dash-Attack-Shield-Canceled
Here's a vid explaining more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S54mPByImY0

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
arg,i've been having so much trouble with the ike vs snake match up lately on ladders >.>

i know its lolwifi but you can usually tell which snakes are bad or not and even the bad ones take me down to the last game >.>.

anyone have any good ike vs snake vids to watch ._.?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I hate Snakes on the ladder. I've played 13 ladder matches... five were Snake. I beat two and lost to three, and they were all around the same level of skill. I haven't played an MK yet, and I played one Ganondorf... who beat me. He was probably the best player I faced, you could tell the Snake players probably didn't main him but just wanted to do good in the ladder.

That Ganondorf player though... that was a fun set, and I learned a trick or two.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I hate Snakes on the ladder. I've played 13 ladder matches... five were Snake. I beat two and lost to three, and they were all around the same level of skill. I haven't played an MK yet, and I played one Ganondorf... who beat me. He was probably the best player I faced, you could tell the Snake players probably didn't main him but just wanted to do good in the ladder.

That Ganondorf player though... that was a fun set, and I learned a trick or two.

was the ganon ljosh?

hes pretty good

and yea....most snakes on the ladder are horrible =/
thats why i hate losing to one
i've lost to about 2 snakes so far,out of 8 or so
sometimes i beat myself up cuz i didnt switch to G&W >.>
*not loyal* LOL

lol and there are alot of wannabe MK's on ladder =.=
its funny at a point :lick:

metroid1117

Smash Master
Random Reading/Conditioning Tips

Because a lot of people have problems with reading their opponent, I'm thinking of making this a thread and constantly updating it with people's ideas on how to read people with Ike and how to condition them in order to profit later in the game. I'd update the OP with tips from anybody. The tips should look like this:

(Note: Reading, for the purpose of this thread, is the following: to study the actions of your opponent or his/her reactions to certain stimuli in order to predict what he/she will do before they do it. Conditioning, for the purpose of this thread, is the following: to repeat an action, whether or not intentionally, in order to get your opponent to repeat the same reaction.)

Tip 1: It's Okay to "Mess Up" a Jab Cancel

What do I mean by "mess up"? It means that it's okay to pretend to screw up a jab cancel so that you can see how your opponent reacts. I'm sure we've all had the problem if opponents escaping our jabs from good DI. However, after DI'ing out of your jabs, most opponents will instinctively respond with something like jumping, attacking, or even rolling or spot-dodging if they're on the ground. Every once in a while, just end your jab cancels early or jab just a little late to let your opponent out and see what he or she does. If they like to jump out, smack them with a jab -> BAir; if they like to jump and airdodge, run out with an USmash; if they like to just airdodge, jab -> FTilt or grab them; if they like to throw out an aerial, shieldgrab them; if they like to roll away from you, running USmash works like a charm. People who roll into you or spot-dodge are insanely fun to punish; this is where jab -> FSmash is actually an option (or, if you want to be safe against good spot-dodgers like Falco, FTilt works as well).

HOWEVER: Do not punish them right off the bat when you start reading their reactions. Wait a bit longer, conditioning them so that they'll fall into a bad habit, then punish them to get a kill or set up an edgeguard - this is especially true for if you notice them rolling into you and want an FSmash for a kill but they're already at a really high %. Another reason for waiting until later to punish them is because smart opponents will change their actions after getting punished for them, thus nullifying any hopes you'll have of getting them with the same trick twice. Of course, you'll have to know just how good your opponent is - if you overrate them, you might miss out on getting easy hits on them.

tl;dr version:

1. "Mess up" your jab cancels to let your opponent out.
2. See how they react.
3. Condition them into repeating that reaction.
4. Punish them when the time is right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking that a thread with tips like that can be very useful for newcomers and veterans alike - it's always nice to get ideas on how to punish and read people. What do you guys think?

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Wow, I never thought about faking a jab cancel fail before, I might implement this into my style =)
Jabs at edge to DASC anybody?lol

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Because a lot of people have problems with reading their opponent, I'm thinking of making this a thread and constantly updating it with people's ideas on how to read people with Ike and how to condition them in order to profit later in the game. I'd update the OP with tips from anybody. The tips should look like this:

(Note: Reading, for the purpose of this thread, is the following: to study the actions of your opponent or his/her reactions to certain stimuli in order to predict what he/she will do before they do it. Conditioning, for the purpose of this thread, is the following: to repeat an action, whether or not intentionally, in order to get your opponent to repeat the same reaction.)

Tip 1: It's Okay to "Mess Up" a Jab Cancel

What do I mean by "mess up"? It means that it's okay to pretend to screw up a jab cancel so that you can see how your opponent reacts. I'm sure we've all had the problem if opponents escaping our jabs from good DI. However, after DI'ing out of your jabs, most opponents will instinctively respond with something like jumping, attacking, or even rolling or spot-dodging if they're on the ground. Every once in a while, just end your jab cancels early or jab just a little late to let your opponent out and see what he or she does. If they like to jump out, smack them with a jab -> BAir; if they like to jump and airdodge, run out with an USmash; if they like to just airdodge, jab -> FTilt or grab them; if they like to throw out an aerial, shieldgrab them; if they like to roll away from you, running USmash works like a charm. People who roll into you or spot-dodge are insanely fun to punish; this is where jab -> FSmash is actually an option (or, if you want to be safe against good spot-dodgers like Falco, FTilt works as well).

HOWEVER: Do not punish them right off the bat when you start reading their reactions. Wait a bit longer, conditioning them so that they'll fall into a bad habit, then punish them to get a kill or set up an edgeguard - this is especially true for if you notice them rolling into you and want an FSmash for a kill but they're already at a really high %. Another reason for waiting until later to punish them is because smart opponents will change their actions after getting punished for them, thus nullifying any hopes you'll have of getting them with the same trick twice. Of course, you'll have to know just how good your opponent is - if you overrate them, you might miss out on getting easy hits on them.

tl;dr version:

1. "Mess up" your jab cancels to let your opponent out.
2. See how they react.
3. Condition them into repeating that reaction.
4. Punish them when the time is right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking that a thread with tips like that can be very useful for newcomers and veterans alike - it's always nice to get ideas on how to punish and read people. What do you guys think?
Maybe we can insert this into the guide? =].
@ Penta:
Kirk vs Akashi
Renegade vs Rykoshet
Kimchi vs Rykoshet
san vs mikeray4
Kimchi vs Master Raven
Old, but Renegade vs Ally
Red-X vs Rykoshet
Rykoshet vs Hax

EDIT: I won my first match.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I always wanted to make a video of tips on reading the opponent. Especially for Ike users. My theory was very similar to yours Metroid. However, I was planning on using more basic examples that can help the viewer comprehend it from a beginner's standpoint. I see yours as more of the intermediate to advanced level.

I was thinking of literally showing clips of playing an opponent, pausing it at certain moments and inserting some kinda commentary or text that shows what can be done. It would also revolve around the typical opponent habit. So for example, Ike vs DDD. You know the DDD is gonna camp with the Gordos and when you get close, try to CG you. The trick would be to see how he would go about CG'in you. Does he shield your approach and then grab, or does he go for it straight up? So say if you approached with a poorly spaced F-air and got CG, you could learn to do an empty air jump, spot dodge grab, and jab.

But yea, that was my take on helping people on how to read opponents.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Maybe we can insert this into the guide? =].

EDIT: I won my first match.
Sure thing. Good job with winning your first match.

I always wanted to make a video of tips on reading the opponent. Especially for Ike users. My theory was very similar to yours Metroid. However, I was planning on using more basic examples that can help the viewer comprehend it from a beginner's standpoint. I see yours as more of the intermediate to advanced level.

I was thinking of literally showing clips of playing an opponent, pausing it at certain moments and inserting some kinda commentary or text that shows what can be done. It would also revolve around the typical opponent habit. So for example, Ike vs DDD. You know the DDD is gonna camp with the Gordos and when you get close, try to CG you. The trick would be to see how he would go about CG'in you. Does he shield your approach and then grab, or does he go for it straight up? So say if you approached with a poorly spaced F-air and got CG, you could learn to do an empty air jump, spot dodge grab, and jab.

But yea, that was my take on helping people on how to read opponents.
That's a good example. A video on reading people sounds cool, but it seems tedious to record each common scenario and show how to counter it.

So... would you guys support a thread containing tips like this? Right now, I'm thinking of breaking it up into beginner tips (like Bored's D3 example) and advanced tips (like the jab canceling example above). I'll basically quote the person who gave the tip and then update the original post as more and more tips are suggested.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Another very easy one for beginner's to get the hang of is reading air dodges. A lot of players use air dodges to get back onto the stage if they are knocked above it or if they jump back from the ledge. It is understandable that they would want to air dodge since Ike's aerials have much greater range than most of the other characters'. Now if, when your opponent is falling from above, you full hop and do an Uair, they will most likely do an air-dodge to get past you. Move in the opposite direction from them afterwards and don't fast-fall (so that your Uair is auto-cancelled).

That's just so you don't get punished for it. Whenever your opponent is above you, repeat that maneuver exactly (full hop -> Uair), forcing them to air dodge each time until it is drilled into their head. It should only take maybe three or four times. And then the fun part: when they've got a lot of damage on them and they're coming down, do an empty short-hop right around the same time when you would have done the full hop -> Uair, and then fast fall back down to punish their inevitable air dodge with an Usmash for the KO. If the character in question has a quick air dodge or you're just not feeling that Usmash, Utilt will work just fine in most cases as well.

Also, a thread sounds like a great idea.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Hooray. Everyone wins their first match. Except...

=[

If I don't magically get online today, I will forfeit to San. If I do, one of us (most very likely me) will lose.

C-c-c-combo breaker. =\

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Make sure your opponent knows(and fears) your range. (attack stick recommended for ease of using nair)

For people with lower ranged attacks, spam nair, maybe a couple fairs.
For longer ranged attackers, mix between fair and nair.*
If you zone your aerials well (don't outright approach/get close. If you have to move forward, make sure it's slightly (and an nair/dash)). Most characters cannot boldly challenge Ike to a range contest, and take a risk when they do, so the easiest (and most predictable) thing to do is air dodge.

After a little while, your opponent most likely will not directly challenge you in an aerial battle too much (nair fear), and will start to air dodge 10x more.

30 seconds-->A minute into the game, always expect that the opponent may air dodge, and condition yourself to punishing them.

1.You must keep moving.
Empty hops, fast fall--> dash+shield, FF nair, FF AD, just plain moving around while staying in a position where you can still followup (with an aerial or jab)

2. Look at how they are moving in the air

Usually, you could tell how they're going to act based on how they move in the air(hopefully I can explain this clearly, because this part is mostly character specific). Take note of what they're trying to do by moving around that way.

Trying to evade you? Find an opening? Trying to out-trick you? Many of these things are character specific with the amount of options (and % chance of the opponent choosing certain options differ) and which you think is the best option available to them.

3A.if they air dodge and you're both in the air:

If you're high enough, you can just nair them(non-fastfall) and follow their aerial movement. It should hit them out of it. If you're close enough to the ground, followup with bair or even another nair. Don't fair. If you think you'll miss the nair, just move a little bit away from them and they shouldn't be able to punish you.

Otherwise, you can quickly FFAD-->jab or even grab if you think they're going to shield. Ike falls faster than a large majority of the cast, and chasing them with nair should still work even if they fall a little bit faster.

3B. if they air dodge and you are on land:

If you're near the ledge and their percent is pretty high, go for the upsmash. Either you should get knocked offstage or the opponent if you mistime it and they shield.

Tripping them up with constant movement is how you can get an opening and jab/grab them. There's always the small chance they could attack, so some dash shields may also keep them guessing on what you're going to do.
Some characters are more vulnerable on certain sides, too. You usually want to make sure when they land, you're behind them. Trust me, it's easier that way.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
My Wii came back to life...momentarily. It now has the amazing ability to play fairly well but it might shut down randomly. I should probably sell this on craigslist ASAP, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom