• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071

M@v

Subarashii!
Yeah, but I like to act like they're not because I think it's funny.
At Sktar Mister Eric was there, and I thought I saw someone who looked like Mr. Eric. I confused him for Mister Eric lol. Now I know they are different people. They look completely different btw.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
shoutout to iRJi

for posting pools and for being informative and stuff

west coast is about to bring so much heat to apex lmaoooo

iRJi

Smash Champion
taking any and all yugioh money matches, 5 or 10 dollars
:017:
I will take you on that bet.
Thats because you are a well known player from winning HOBO 12 :smirk:

There is however a guy on one of the pools listed as Admiral Brigadier Y... and for all I know its some badass name taking, *** kicker from Japan or Africa.

Last year they streamed one of the least hyped boring pools, skipped out on the crew battle and played many amazing matches off stream.

This time around they are saying "low level players pool enjoyment doesn't matter because they dont have a chance anyway", "we want to get all the good stuff on stream" etc. Now this is great for me, because I've spent 0 money supporting Apex and I'm gonna sit down on my couch, order a pizza and watch for free.

For what the entry is worth, if a low-mid level players wants a chance to fight a top level player from around the world he could just do a few money matches. Don't forget, the opportunity to face a top player even in pools means alot to some people.
Wrong. We are saying "We shouldn't have to play out EVERY SINGLE MATCH despite the top 4 already being decided almost 3/4 of the pool" It is indeed a waste of time in that aspect.

shoutout to iRJi

for posting pools and for being informative and stuff

west coast is about to bring so much heat to apex lmaoooo
Thank you.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I will take you on that bet.

Wrong. We are saying "We shouldn't have to play out EVERY SINGLE MATCH despite the top 4 already being decided almost 3/4 of the pool" It is indeed a waste of time in that aspect.

Thank you.
Not all pools would be so easily decided. Upsets happen. Why allow mid level players to enter at all when you've already decided the top seeds? What actually a waste of time is friendlies and crew battles because no one has any hope of getting anything.

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Just so everyone knows, I will NOT be updating the MM finder thread any more by 3:00 PM EST tomorrow.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Not all pools would be so easily decided. Upsets happen. Why allow mid level players to enter at all when you've already decided the top seeds? What actually a waste of time is friendlies and crew battles because no one has any hope of getting anything.
What are you even talking about. I question if you even read my post to begin with lol.

Allow me to resay this.

We have 32 setups for brawl. The average RR pool (From 10 people) takes about 2 hours hours to finished, and thats IF we use 2-3 setups per pool. Now, in compestation for the time, the players in the pool have to play against each other until everyone finished their matches. While I am not against this, as it allows more games to be played, the first 4 seeds of the pool are normally determined around the first hour, and the rest is fluff so people have more time to play despite it not having an impact. I understand that a lot of you are traveling from across the U.S, or even over seas, but I need you guys to keep in mind that we are here to run an event as efficent as possible, and not nessesarly cater to everyone playing everyone. We simpley won't have the time for it if we did RR pools. However, this brings us to the second point.
Bold to clarify. Nothing has been clear cut. Going into pools, there are 4 top seeds out of the 10/11 people within the pool. Each player plays the bracket out until 4 new top seeds are made.

Edit: You are right in terms of upsets, however, this type of bracket style does not disallow upsets.

Cassio

Smash Master
Bracket pools ought to be fine, but if the experience of those borderline bracket players and below are to be considered (seemingly arguable) then that makes it considerably more important that they are seeded as best possible compared to RR. Of course thats the difference between any RR and bracket as far as accurate results go, if a bracket is seeded perfectly both should produce similar results.

Not to suggest things were or were not seeded well, Im sure others will make a judgement on that.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
anyone know when they are going to update pools?

some people have been left out on accident, myself included

W.C.N

Smash Lord
I like how people think their "Tournament Experience" ends when they are finished with their pool

do you people come only on the day of your pool and leave the venue when your done?

again quit your btiching and enjoy the event

I prefer when people were getting hype about their pools now their just complaing about the style that weve known about for months

zmx

Smash Lord
I think it's fine the way it is.

Time constraints are a huge issue like it's been said before. That's probably the biggest issue. This fixes it.

And once again mid-low level players are not going to make it far in the first place, no matter what kind of pools you do. Ths is Apex after all. Why exactly is catering to them a good thing? Don't like it? Get better. That's like the golden rule of tournaments.

And what difference will it make? They'll get like 2-4 less matches in tournament? That can be more than made up for in friendlies with you know, the literally hundreds of good Smashers around them.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
Don't forget to follow me on twitter

<-------

Also I will have the Dreamcast and Powerstone 1 and 2 so everyone can get f***ed up in that real quick during downtime and what not.

Armada

Smash Lord
I guess me/M2k is not register for teams (both have paid). M2k is not online so I can't contact him so if anyone on the Apex website can write us in I would appreciate that =)

LLDL

Smash Hero
I guess me/M2k is not register for teams (both have paid). M2k is not online so I can't contact him so if anyone on the Apex website can write us in I would appreciate that =)
Hey Armada. Please log into your registration account and you will see an option that says set Melee team. Type in CT Mew2King and then you will be all set.

LLDL

Smash Hero
anyone know when they are going to update pools?

some people have been left out on accident, myself included
No you've been in pool 28. We'll get the others who were left out though =)

Edit: Unless you meant Brawl.

Edit: Nope you're in Pool 26 in Brawl.

Armada

Smash Lord
Hey Armada. Please log into your registration account and you will see an option that says set Melee team. Type in CT Mew2King and then you will be all set.
Done!

At first I thought I did not remember my password cause I took a completely random one but yeah I fixed it now.

LOE1

Smash Lord
anyone know who optimus rubas is?

pretty nervous for these pools here lol

Rykard

Smash Ace
i think i might be more excited to play doubles at this tournament than singles for melee. any idea when those brackets go up? im assuming later tonight

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
We will likely be fixing some small issues in brawl pools. Will post the fixes tomorrow morning/afternoon. Won't be too much changed but you will need to look at it most likely.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Will Apex staff allow viewers at home to vote on or suggest pools matches we want to see? For the most part the pools look boring because WF wont be played out, but some WSF matches look pretty interesting and watching the entirety of any one pool sounds pretty boring.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I figured Ayuha was a Japanese player.

Man Pool 10 is loaded!!! Lol.

Also, thanks Gheb for the mention of me and Trump teaming and both being from FL. Assuming I don't get moved, it'll be fun to play ya!
I thought he was Hawaiian.

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
same dude

hawaii / canada WC

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think people have to remember that time constraints are a huge issue.

Last Apex we missed a lot of hype Brawl matches since they had to run several things at once offstream to finish on time and they didn't even get to do the USA vs World crew battle that was hyped up for so long. And I think this was largely because pools took way too long to finish for both Brawl and Melee.

At least bracket pools will go by fast. Regarding it sucking for low seeds....it does but it's not like they would have made it far anyway. And more importantly, I'm sure they will find plenty of good players to play friendlies with, it's not like the 2 tourny matches they get is everything and then they have to go home. This is Apex after all.
why does everyone care about how many tourney matches Scrubs get to face? lose to 2 players or 9...does anyone else see how many matches that just jumped? and with Brawl those sets can take 24 minutes a piece...

you want 1 stock matches....do you realize that 1 stock doesnt determine skill in brawl? how many people lost in the gannon gauntlet to players they beat in tourney?

Oh and wait with all this extra time what can the scrubs do???? play friendlies, watch entertaining matches, make friends with the hundreds of players around them???

quit your *****ing and enjoy this great event, honestly

does anyone remember why M2K vs OCEAN was on a small tv way off in the distance? because melee still had to finish their stream matches and WE NEEDED TO HURRY to be late on the schedule
I like how people think their "Tournament Experience" ends when they are finished with their pool

do you people come only on the day of your pool and leave the venue when your done?

again quit your btiching and enjoy the event

I prefer when people were getting hype about their pools now their just complaing about the style that weve known about for months
I think it's fine the way it is.

Time constraints are a huge issue like it's been said before. That's probably the biggest issue. This fixes it.

And once again mid-low level players are not going to make it far in the first place, no matter what kind of pools you do. Ths is Apex after all. Why exactly is catering to them a good thing? Don't like it? Get better. That's like the golden rule of tournaments.

And what difference will it make? They'll get like 2-4 less matches in tournament? That can be more than made up for in friendlies with you know, the literally hundreds of good Smashers around them.
First of all, MELEE pools were not what held up the tournament last year. Not to turn this into Melee vs. barlw, but all of Melee's setups were stolen for the entirety of day 2 just so barlw could finish their pools. Melee was done on DAY 1. You say bracket pools will go by fast, as if that's a good thing.

Low level players complaining about only getting 2 matches for their $15 entry fee is PERFECTLY legitimate. Sure, people can play friendlies and do other stuff after their tournament matches, but for the people that come FOR THE TOURNAMENT MATCHES, they are getting royally ****ed. The whole idea of bracket pools just discourages newer players from entering at all. Why would they waste their money entering when it's only going to buy them two sets, at least one of which is guaranteed to be a curb stomping by a top player? They could just spend $20 for the spectator fee instead of spending $50 to enter and get the same experience minus two tournament sets. Why are we charging $15 per set? That's ridiculous. They might as well MM two people for $15. At least then they would have a chance of actually making money instead of wasting it.

Saying **** like "get better instead of complaining" is ******** because instead of getting better, a lot of new players will just quit. Who can blame them? Why would I want to try to improve at a game with a community that nickels and dimes less skilled players at every corner? New players should be given the best treatment possible because they are the ones filling the pot without any expectation to get a return. The top players are the ones who will enter even if they don't get the most "fun" format for them because they are more interested in competing with other top level players, not getting in the most number of tournament sets to improve and have a new experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom