• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Hi, this is FullMetal, TO for melee at Apex 2013.

Please be assured we are doing our best to provide all players with a memorable and enjoyable tournament experience. Please direct all complaints concerning melee bracket pools to me, I will answer as best I can after I am off work tomorrow at 7pm est.

Once again, thank you for your support and participation in Apex 2013.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Calling it. Shofu is taking pokemon

:phone:
I hope so!

Pokemon is VGC only this year which SUPER disappoints me cause Pokemon has like... No offline OU tourneys. I was really looking forward to entering and maybe even getting to play Shofu in OU, but it's only VGC this time which I have no idea how to play, so I didn't enter. =/

I think Shofu's gonna get top 4 at least in Pokemon still, he got 4th at his state's VGC regionals. I dunno about winning though, I think hands down he'd win if Pokemon was OU but it's not so... Yeah... ;_;

M@v

Subarashii!
For those who are wondering.
ugh, why. It makes it easier on TOs too. Why go through the trouble of reseeding 1-4 on their own when they can let the bracket play do it for them? Oh well, w/e they want to do I guess.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
ugh, why. It makes it easier on TOs too. Why go through the trouble of reseeding 1-4 on their own when they can let the bracket play do it for them? Oh well, w/e they want to do I guess.
My scene is small and thus I have no experience in pools, but wouldn't the matches of WF and LSF be longer than the re-seeding? I imagine it'd be done to save time.

Could totally be off, though.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
My pool has Vinnie, Trump, KenniRawr, Kairo, TheJimbonator, Junebug, Ayuha, OldManGrey, ScaryLB59 and myself - Vinnie, Trump, Kairo, Junebug and ScaryLB59 are all good players that are surely capable of making it into the bracket. Other pools - especially the latter three - seem to be weaker in comparison. Not that I didn't expect pools to be hard but this pool has five players that are all good enough to be able to make the bracket. And we don't even know how well Ayuha or myself end up doing against them. I know this particular pool is already considered for changing because trump and ScaryLB are both from the same region and are also teaming with each other but I'd also like the fact taken into consideration that some pools are significantly harder than others and hope some changes in that regard could possibly be made. The last three pools all have 3 good players - our pool has 5.

[That's not to say that I think I myself have been seeded poorly or that I'm not objective here - I'm sure most people will agree that Pool 10 is leagues beyond Pool 30, 31 and 32 in terms of difficulty].

PS and if the pool remains the same, good luck to ScaryLB59 and to whomever else I will have to play! ^_^

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Oh lol nevermind then. Still tough luck for trump if neither him nor ScaryLB will be switched out <_<

W.C.N

Smash Lord
why does everyone care about how many tourney matches Scrubs get to face? lose to 2 players or 9...does anyone else see how many matches that just jumped? and with Brawl those sets can take 24 minutes a piece...

you want 1 stock matches....do you realize that 1 stock doesnt determine skill in brawl? how many people lost in the gannon gauntlet to players they beat in tourney?

Oh and wait with all this extra time what can the scrubs do???? play friendlies, watch entertaining matches, make friends with the hundreds of players around them???

quit your *****ing and enjoy this great event, honestly

does anyone remember why M2K vs OCEAN was on a small tv way off in the distance? because melee still had to finish their stream matches and WE NEEDED TO HURRY to be late on the schedule

huMps

Smash Ace
Hey Full Metal - I see JesiahTEG and gravy are in the same pool. These two live together lol. And probably play each other for like 2 hours a day.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I personally hate bracket pools just cause for anyone who isn't a top player, they have their hard matches early on, it's not like round robin pools where you can just get ***** by the first seed in your pool to get it out of the way, or play people you know you'll beat for warm-ups for the harder sets. For low/mid seeds, we have our hardest sets first or second round. ;_;

But with 300+ people and with what happened last Apex, I don't blame them at all, but that's my two cents on why I hate bracket pools.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Hooray for ending up in one of the pools that has 5-6 decent players and being seeded as one of the lowest even though I had apex pts. Oh well. Still got this.

:phone:

Cassio

Smash Master
lol, my pool has Abadango, Teevee, Shaky, Roller, Pink Fresh, Izumi, Jrugs, Doom, snow shard, and twinaphex. Even roller didnt get a bye. This pool will put hair on your chest.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Hey Full Metal, A player with the name Zavage is in 2 different pools for melee, pools 25 and 32. Don't know if it's been pointed out yet.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Round Robin with Bo1 would be better than bracket pools IMO. Players pay a lot of money to get there, and enter the tournament, just to play someone like Nairo or whoever, and get directly to losers bracket. With RR Bo1 you get the same amount of matches, while still getting some people on/above/below your level, mostly, without being (nearly) eliminated by losing 1 set. But I guess, it's too late to change that by now. It could be 5 Stocks as well for example. That would probably be a good compromise overall. But even not, its still better IMO.

I wonder how big the time difference is between Bo1 RR with 10 people and a Bracket Pool Bo3 Matches with 10 people...
Lets try to calculate that. Lets say we have 32 TVs for Brawl. Therefore only 1 TV for every pool. Most Matches take approx. around 5 Minutes.

With 10 people RR, that would mean sum(1to9) Matches -> 45 Matches. If they all take 5 minutes, that would be 225 Minutes to complete one pool. Approx. ~4 Hours.

Now for the Double Elimination Bracket with 10 People, WF and LSF, LF, GF not being played out. But sets are Bo3.
A set would take ~15 Minutes. (Extra time for banning/counterpicking added, but most sets only end with 2 matches, without the third match). I used Pool 1 to count the total amount of matches: 14 Matches for that Bracket Pool. That means 14 * 15 Minutes = 210 Minutes. That's 3 1/2 hours.

So, seems like Bo1 RR would be almost the same, time wise. Maybe a poll would've been a good solution. Should probably be done for the next APEX if its too late now, which I guess, is the case.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
lol, my pool has Abadango, Teevee, Shaky, Roller, Pink Fresh, Izumi, Jrugs, Doom, snow shard, and twinaphex. Even roller didnt get a bye. This pool will put hair on your chest.
Ah I know that pool. I hope you get in that top 4 man! ^^

Actually, on that topic, good luck to everyone at this year's Apex. I honestly hope you all break the barriers you were hoping for and achieve more than you thought you would. This should be a really great tournament. =)

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I have no idea why Melee is running USA vs The World again. Tradition? It's a foregone conclusion, it's patronizing, and there are far better suited regional battles that could be used instead.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
why does everyone care about how many tourney matches Scrubs get to face? lose to 2 players or 9...does anyone else see how many matches that just jumped? and with Brawl those sets can take 24 minutes a piece...

you want 1 stock matches....do you realize that 1 stock doesnt determine skill in brawl? how many people lost in the gannon gauntlet to players they beat in tourney?

Oh and wait with all this extra time what can the scrubs do???? play friendlies, watch entertaining matches, make friends with the hundreds of players around them???

quit your *****ing and enjoy this great event, honestly

does anyone remember why M2K vs OCEAN was on a small tv way off in the distance? because melee still had to finish their stream matches and WE NEEDED TO HURRY to be late on the schedule

Pretty much this.

If you are bad enough to worry about losing 2 sets straight, you should be HAPPY that you aren't forced to play more considering afterwards you can do whatever you want. I would hate to know I'm out of a pool and then be forced to play the other mediocre/bad players in my pool when I want to go watch the top player matches or play against them.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Doesn't seem too much harder than the other pools i've seen tbh

Most of these pools are just hard as **** no matter what lol
I'm not sure about either of that tbh.

But I don't wanna come across like I'm complaining. It probably wouldn't matter to me in which pool I ended up so I'll just practice and try my best no matter who comes.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I have no idea why Melee is running USA vs The World again. Tradition? It's a foregone conclusion, it's patronizing, and there are far better suited regional battles that could be used instead.
With no Unknown I honestly just want to run off the stage 4 times and then play friendlies. Heck, send in Vwins twice or something. I don't care about this event.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Whoa, let's be honest here, scrubs aren't going to take 24 minutes to finish a set.

That being said, when you have this many pools of this many people, that half hour you save can add up

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace
Kind of mad that I have somebody from my region round 2 of pools at an international tournament, but what can you do

Tesh

Smash Hero
Seems like this that type of thing would be even more important when pools are such a short run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom