• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
I would get paired up with another DK first round. :(

Oh, and then some guy named Salem, dunno who he is though.

And I guess Mikehaze after that... hmmm...

Loljk, it's gonna be enjoyable. :)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Top tier seeding: When you get two players that use the same character that only 3 people use to play on the very first round.

MT_

Smash Ace
I don't know why people are complaining so much about having same character players in the same pool. The characters that people main aren't (and shouldn't be) a factor in seeding.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I would get paired up with another DK first round. :(

Oh, and then some guy named Salem, dunno who he is though.

And I guess Mikehaze after that... hmmm...

Loljk, it's gonna be enjoyable. :)

If this is a melee post, it might be the same salem from brawl, I think a Marth user from melee maybe.
If you are playing brawl, GL, he's one of if not the top ZSS.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I don't know why people are complaining so much about having same character players in the same pool. The characters that people main aren't (and shouldn't be) a factor in seeding.
It is not a factor.
It is just sad.

ook

Smash Lord
DK dittos are HYPE!

Also, I was pretty excited to come to apex before, but now that the pools are out I'm VEEEEEERRRRRYYYYYYY EXCITED.

1st round nervous nick from screwattack
2nd round Mikeneko

YES I feel like I actually have a chance to get out :bee: and have some super hype matches.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
It's unreasonable to expect yourself to be the only main of a certain character within your own pool.

Also, realize it's probably 10x harder to double-check for regional conflicts under the bracket pool format, compared to the traditional round robin format. That's not an exaggeration.
Oh right... Bracket pools.... Kinda lame that people aren't guaranteed to play a top player now.

Also, I have to go win-loss-win in order to get to the same place that fatuik gets to by simply losing his first match... Seems pretty lame that a first round has such arbitrary seeding.
http://i.imgur.com/4K9js.gif

Oh well, guess these things aren't designed for us mediocre/bad players.
Now this... is a legitimate complaint. I'm trying to figure out what could be done about this.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
If this is a melee post, it might be the same salem from brawl, I think a Marth user from melee maybe.
If you are playing brawl, GL, he's one of if not the top ZSS.
It was complete sarcasm, I know how beastly Salem is. My bad for the confusion. xD

MT_

Smash Ace
Also, I have to go win-loss-win in order to get to the same place that fatuik gets to by simply losing his first match... Seems pretty lame that a first round has such arbitrary seeding.
http://i.imgur.com/4K9js.gif

Oh well, guess these things aren't designed for us mediocre/bad players.
If both you and fatuik lose your first match you end up in the same place in losers bracket because everyone in the "first round" of losers bracket gets a bye. If you go win-loss-win then you would end up a round further than fatuik in losers bracket if fatuik had lost his first match.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
the giant chasms of byes are fun to look at

making pool predictions atm

What's The Point

Smash Master
The bottom 3 Brawl pools seem significantly weaker than the rest. Especially 31, the top half, with Kiwi and a ScrewAttack guy getting byes to meet each other in round 2.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
If both you and fatuik lose your first match you end up in the same place in losers bracket because everyone in the "first round" of losers bracket gets a bye. If you go win-loss-win then you would end up a round further than fatuik in losers bracket if fatuik had lost his first match.
Wrong. Look again.

Tesh

Smash Hero
MT is wrong, because 2 byes face each other in the LB, there is a round 2 losers bye on each side so whoever loses sets D and B will advance 2 rounds in losers

is there a way to make the 3 man sections of the bracket feed into the 3 bye losers bracket? seems fairer than giving someone 3 byes for losing once

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Byes are, and will always be extremely stupid :/
There is not really anything that can be changed about that afaik >,<"
Lower Seeded people just have bad luck in that aspect :S

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'm registered for melee but was left out of pools. I tried to contact the Apex guys but I've heard nothing so far.

I registered under "Don't Blink!".

Hopefully they get it sorted out.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Byes are, and will always be extremely stupid :/
There is not really anything that can be changed about that afaik >,<"
Lower Seeded people just have bad luck in that aspect :S
This is exactly why round robin is better and more accurate. I'm pretty dissappointed that this is being used as a time saving measure even though the tournament is significantly smaller this time around, I know it won't affect major players, but it just seems really unfair to the people making up 75% of the entrants.

Coffeeblack

Smash Journeyman
They did last year,

BUT

you need a universal remote to change the channel in order to setup a gamecube.

We had to buy one last year. There is a Radio Shack across the street. The cheaper, big, fat remote didn't work. The 2nd one we tried worked.

I suggest you bring one, if you or a friend has one.
thanks for the info man.

probably gonna lug a CRT on the greyhound anyway hahaha

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Speaking of Shofu, is he in Brawl or Melee? I noticed he accidentally signed up for Melee and when I asked him about it, he said he indeed meant to sign up for Brawl. I gave him Keitaro's FB. Was Shofu switched to Brawl? He's one of the most well known Pokemon players on YouTube and is flying in from Cali, so it'd suck if he got entered in the wrong game. D:

Didn't feel like looking at all the pools, so many names... So just found mine.

So yes guys, Shofu and PrincessPipher really ARE going, these aren't just troll names, Shofu confirmed on a livestream he already bought his plane ticket.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This is exactly why round robin is better and more accurate. I'm pretty dissappointed that this is being used as a time saving measure even though the tournament is significantly smaller this time around, I know it won't affect major players, but it just seems really unfair to the people making up 75% of the entrants.
Same here, I can't believe they really are taking that route, the whole experience is very short for a very significant amount of players.
Man, SRT was a very large tournaments and they still made Round Robins (although 1 game, not Bo3), and even the least experienced palyers got plenty of games.
Apex, though, still gives preference to a Crew Battle.... (funny enough, that means the "highlighted" players get even more experience/reward).

Tesh

Smash Hero
Same here, I can't believe they really are taking that route, the whole experience is very short for a very significant amount of players.
Man, SRT was a very large tournaments and they still made Round Robins (although 1 game, not Bo3), and even the least experienced palyers got plenty of games.
Apex, though, still gives preference to a Crew Battle.... (funny enough, that means the "highlighted" players get even more experience/reward).
Really sad, despite all of the Japan meatriding from TOs since last Apex, we haven't adopted a better way to make pools faster. Large 2 stock or Bo1 pools is way more fair than bracket pools because it still test you against more than like 1 person.

Not even kidding, top seeds only have to win 1 match and they get out.

Its kind of sad that "getting out of pools at apex" wont mean anything this time.

M@v

Subarashii!
^You don't win just one match to get out even as a top seed (By that logic I would get out with one win because I have a bye first round). If you make it to winners finals, that's guaranteed top 3. Losers Semi's is the guaranteed 4th spot.

Do you even math?

Zoap

Smash Master
I don't see my name in any of the melee singles pool brackets. It could be that I was meant to be one of the double Zavages, but I'll let you guys figure that out.

Shaky

Smash Ace
^You don't win just one match to get out even as a top seed (By that logic I would get out with one win because I have a bye first round). If you make it to winners finals, that's guaranteed top 3. Losers Semi's is the guaranteed 4th spot.

Do you even math?
I'm pretty sure (I may be mistaken though) that they said that WF and LSF are not played out.

M@v

Subarashii!
^They have to be played out. If they are not played out, you cannot determine who the 1,2,3,4 seeds are for the bracket.

Tesh

Smash Hero

Do you even math?
meh same thing, the point stands just fine. round robin is better.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
The bracket pool format being used this year basically looks like: a 10 player bracket in which 6 players receive byes, with the final two in winners awarded "first seed" into the main bracket, and the final two in losers awarded "second seed" into the main bracket. Winners Finals and Losers Semis are not played out.
no point. We are reseeding it from that point on.
For those who are wondering.

zmx

Smash Lord
I think people have to remember that time constraints are a huge issue.

Last Apex we missed a lot of hype Brawl matches since they had to run several things at once offstream to finish on time and they didn't even get to do the USA vs World crew battle that was hyped up for so long. And I think this was largely because pools took way too long to finish for both Brawl and Melee.

At least bracket pools will go by fast. Regarding it sucking for low seeds....it does but it's not like they would have made it far anyway. And more importantly, I'm sure they will find plenty of good players to play friendlies with, it's not like the 2 tourny matches they get is everything and then they have to go home. This is Apex after all.

Tesh

Smash Hero
You could run round robin pools fast as long its not a 6-9 stock set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom