• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlphaZealot the greatest T.O. to date UPDATED June 30 see post 122

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
how can we force ppl to take pools seriously? people around here are notorious for not doing so

just had a tourney yesterday and i ran pools. in my pool for instance everyone went serious against me for the most part, but other matchups in the same pool included ppl doing low tier dittos. i mean yea it sucked for me and im complaining lol, but when pools arent eliminating its like ppl dont care at all.

another pool also had a ton jiggs dittos just for the fun of it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Umm...if they lose and they have a bad seed or don't even play in the bracket then they should take it seriously. I just did a tournament yesterday with 22 people with pools into a 16 person bracket.

The only people who can afford not to slack in pools are the really great players who can make up for a poor seed simply because there are only a handful of people who can beat them. However, these players should be playing each other in R1 instead of R3 if they don't have 1 seeds, which will undoubtedly make them upset and then you can point to their poor pool performance.

You don't have to force people to take it seriously. I think you are mostly listening to the upper echelon people who really don't even give a **** about NEW PEOPLE or NOT GOOD PEOPLE.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Obvious if ppl place bad in their pool that's their fault, but lets say this situation, though this didnt happen, but something similar happened yesterday. What if in my pool Atomsk goes DDD against me and I lose, but against someone else he goes Jigglypuff for the set and drops the set to them. Kind of lame for me, though I can't think of a way to stop it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Then that happens you can't do anything about it. He would really only be able to afford to do that once anyways so its minor considering the number of total sets played in pools. Yea it can **** someone else over but its rare and if you make him play all his matches in a row at the start of the pool it could alleviate the problem.

In general though just don't worry about it.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
The best way chibo is to make the top seeds go first. Meaning they play everyone in the pool before anyone else plays, meaning they can't try to manipulate it based on wins. That's the only thing I thought of to help this (at pound, i made m2k and ally play all their matches first)

Conti

Smash Ace
Wow... I honestly really really like this thread... being still new to the competitive scene I saw abunch of key points that wud just make a future tourny great... 5$ venue... I have like no matchup exp.. having pools wud give me more experiance n such... more feeling of being a part of the tourny (instead at kosher boy gettn ***** by chudats kirby 1st round) and lose 2-1 a diddy ditto... with absolutly no exp... ) at apex last yr for my 1st tourny it was pools that really kinda showed me what I was in for... I also got a chance to play a great player such as adhd and what actually made me transition from mk into diddy... [I like how t.o.s set up pools so that top players are seperated and new players have a chance to get a set in with them] like everything said if that cud happen id try to convince my friends to go to more ... cuz they only wanna go to improve but at a tourny that's really focusd on like better playrs n such... It really wudnt help the new players like myself like u said... having results with new players listed being at 2 tournys n just seeing my name on the list under better players ur right, it shows me how I gotta improve (also maybe when ppl walk in when they pay the venue u shud have a sheet or sometn in a laptop to log the player and their main.... instead of seeing new players up there n their character not listed becuz they weren't that good n noone payd attention to em... give the player a sense of not being a part of that event or the smash community... my friend said he felt like a ghost cuz he barley playd and how it felt like he wasn't part of it (his char wasn't listed... just an example) love this thread tho keep discussin...

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
I'm still thinking about writing it its just been a busy few months for me. I saw tants thread which I would recommend people read cause he has some ideas that I didn't mention:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=264935
yea I know you busy doin other things..
Just wanna make sure this thread is still active for other TO's that need idea's..
but yea we need to play wifi dawg..
give you more practice

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
It was more the top seeds sandbagging, and I know you somewhat use jiggs. But yea, I think I'll make all top seeds do their matches first now.

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
Alphazealot has done so much for this community. I hope he continues to stay blessed and host amazing tournaments.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
This was a good read and I agree with most of this. 48/22/14/8/4/4 looks odd but it probably works fine. There are some questions I have for AlphaZealot or anybody willing to answer these.

1. You said pay out to top 5 regardless of size. Is this for singles only or teams as well? Most tourneys I know pay doubles to top 3 in a 60/30/10 format and fair sized singles pay out to top 5.
2. I believe that T.O's should at least break even and that they shouldn't lose money because they held a tourney. How much would you say is reasonable to pay for a tournament? I'm asking because I held a tourney and the venue price was a ripoff, $275. I did it anyways because I didn't wanna upset the smashers. I had to raise it to $7 because I could've lost $50+ for holding a tourney (can't be losing money like that since I'll be in college soon).
3. I saw that Chibo's recent tournament had pools for placement mainly because it wasn't that big and last minute. What's your opinion on this?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This was a good read and I agree with most of this. 48/22/14/8/4/4 looks odd but it probably works fine. There are some questions I have for AlphaZealot or anybody willing to answer these.

1. You said pay out to top 5 regardless of size. Is this for singles only or teams as well? Most tourneys I know pay doubles to top 3 in a 60/30/10 format and fair sized singles pay out to top 5.
We generally use 55/30/15.

Doubles has generally had less entrants than singles, so this could easily change in the future to entice more entrants.

2. I believe that T.O's should at least break even and that they shouldn't lose money because they held a tourney. How much would you say is reasonable to pay for a tournament? I'm asking because I held a tourney and the venue price was a ripoff, $275. I did it anyways because I didn't wanna upset the smashers. I had to raise it to $7 because I could've lost $50+ for holding a tourney (can't be losing money like that since I'll be in college soon).
You shouldn't go bankrupt holding tourneys. Find a better venue if you can! Another good way to cover it is to simply inform the tournaments of the venue's price and that you'll take money from the pot if venue can't cover it. It's always a lose/lose situation. I personally would just pay out of pocket, but I also wouldn't go broke for it.

3. I saw that Chibo's recent tournament had pools for placement mainly because it wasn't that big and last minute. What's your opinion on this?
Always pools.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@chibo: i believe it's because that increases incentive for doubles while keeping pot sizes appropriate for the amount of ppl in the bracket

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Any reasoning for 55 30 15 over 60 30 10? People were wondering why at my last event.
16 team bracket (32 players) = $320.

$176 for first
$ 96 for second
$48 for third

or

$192 for first
$96 for second
$32 for third

Would you rather receive $24 each for 3rd, or $16 each?

The difference in overall value is huge from the 3rd place standpoint, but now for first.

Let me make it clear:

Making rules to help the one guy/team that gets first is a failing strategy

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
but making rules that help the 3rd place/team isn't really any different. its not like singles where more ppl are getting paid. same amount is getting paid, its just that your taking 5% from the winner and giving it to 3rd place. im not saying its bad per se, i just dont see the exact reasoning as compared to singles.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
My 2 cents:

Also, I highly recommend that if you have the venue for two days or if you have an area where many people are staying the night: THROW A CASUAL TOURNAMENT. These usually can bring more hype for the lower level players than the actual tournament themselves
This has always been a practice at my tournaments I throw.

It's as AZ says, throw the tournament for everyone. Without pools, look at the amount of games 32 people play in a double elim bracket for 10 bucks (Plus venue of course)
2 Games min - 8 people
3 games min - 8 people
4 games min - 4 people
5 games min - 4 people
6 games min - 2 people
7 games min - 2 people
8 games min - 1 person
9 games min - 1 person
10 games min - 2 people.

The majority of the people going to your tournaments AREN'T EVEN PLAYING after just 3 games!
That means 8 people just did three 5 dollar money matches (with 15 dollar spent) and another 8 people did two 8 dollar money matches!
With a $10 venue fee its, three 7 dollar money matches or two 10 dollar money matches.
(These stats are for people who get the Sh** end of the bracket, like playing M2k round only to barely lose game three of the next one.)
Personally, I would be upset.
With cheap venue fees and pools, this will give people more bang for their buck.

I myself am a very low level player who wants to go to tournaments to play people in smash.
If you do pools... you're adding about 6-8 matches (depending on pool size). Those extra matches are what will get those majority to continue to go to your tournaments AND they will have a better chance to become a better player (which in turns strengthens the community...)

Some other tips I recommend for larger (64+ people) tournes (you WILL see these being used at Showdown):
- A printer: These are VERY essential for pools of tournaments with more than 32 people. AZ has done them on paper at his tournes, but that was due to the venues (can't have a printer in a restaurant) and the more lax atmosphere (both are not a bad thing). If he was throwing a national, I would bring a printer for him in case he forgot one. These are TIME SAVERS. If you can bring a large TV, you can bring a printer.

- Delegation of regional TOs: As said earlier by OS: "TOs help when they are at another tournament". These people are people who's tournament you go to because they run things right. If these people are willing to help, they can run brackets while you are in a match. They can help find people. They can help with gathering venue/figuring out payout.They can commentate. They can run DOUBLES WHILE YOU ARE MAKING POOLS!
Also when making pools, try to put a TO in each pool.
Ideally, I would divide the room into 4 parts (during the bracket time, for pools this is already done). Each part represents a "quadrant" in the bracket. Each quadrant TOs runs that part of the bracket using the same TIO file that the main TO is using. Once the final "9" has happened (which isthe loser round AFTER the winner's quad finals.... aka the matches that determine 9th place) collaborate with the head TIO to complete the bracket. Use Walkie Talkies if it comes to that.

- Delegation: I know I said this already with TOs... but this is very important. It can be done with people in your crew/state. Every Ohio tournament I have been to is ran with multiple assistants. Once Semi Finals hits, I rarely have anything left to do because of those same assistants that are finishing up. Also, when delegating: keep shifts if you have to. One person doesn't have to do the same thing for 8 hours. With shifts, you get more energetic people which in turn creates a a more energetic atmosphere. The best TOs are never alone.

- Casual/Side events: As I said earlier, half of your attendance is eliminated by the end of the 2 round of losers bracket. Have something for these people to do besides just watching a tourne. Throwing these extra events raises more hype and it's these events that people will remember when they think of your tournament. I recommend trying to do both at the larger events.
A Side event is a 5-10 dollar tourne that isn't the main event: aka Melee at a brawl only tourne, B+, B-, and other fighters.
A casual event is something meant to be more fun with cheap prizes at cheap entry (Obstacle Course*, RipN challenge**, Ultimate Falcon Championships - tournament with Falcon Only). Casual events don't have to be that organized. We had a Superman 64 station setup just to watch people get frustrated. I went to a tournament that had a Turtles Tournament Fighter Station setup and it was packed. If you do a free entry casual, be prepared to have prizes. Prizes hype the experience.
My next tournament is going to have 3 casual tournaments and I don't think I'll even have 64 people at that tournament.
My last tournament had a $1 reverse main tourn (25 people entered), singles (51 people), doubles (23 teams) and a 4 man crew tournament (8 teams). The latter three was done in one day (a long day... I'm not a god :( )!
When having these events at larger tournament, the main TO SHOULD NOT BE RUNNING THESE!!!!! Delegate this to someone else.
ALSO PUT THE MAIN EVENT AS TOP PRIORITY TO PLAYERS! If a player is still in the main tournament and has a match coming up in 5 mins, don't have them play in a side event. Use setups for the main tournament then the side/casual events. I try to start my side events either the night before, morning after, or after round 2 of losers in singles (when over half the participants are eliminated). If doubles is first, then you shouldn't be doing any side events form the beginning of Doubles until Singles Loser Round 2 are done AT THE LEAST! **THIS INCLUDES MELEE!!!!!!!*** (Unless its the main event of course)

- Atmosphere: The better the atmosphere, the better the tournament. Don't just be sitting at the bracket all day. Go out and hype up matches. Hype Side events. Talk to people 1 on 1 after close or upsetting matches. Be energetic. Having everyone leave the tournament happy SHOULD BE YOUR GOAL! Personally see to it.

- Learn from other nationals you go to! If you didn't like how something was run, try something else.

As for venues... I've been lucky with mine so I have no real input in for that, except try to get sponsors.

*Obstacle Course was a custom stage I made to have players race to the edge of the screen.
**RipN challenge is usually a contest to see who can get the best score in the many areas of Brawl (Cruel Brawl,100 man, etc)
*** I have nothing against running Melee tournaments, but the last 2 I ran had 12 and 9 people in them.

EDIT: Setups - always waive something for Setups if possible! This has been the only thing I disagree with AZ. I don't mind it at his restaurant tourne, because the venue gets you food. Yes people definitely will step it up and bring setups if you tell them to, even if the fee isn't waived. (My tournes have no venue fee plus 6+ screens already there... yes its a great venue and I'm lucky to have worked with it. Point is people still bring setups when asked.)
The reason I disagree is because people risk their equipment every time they bring them to a tournament. I have seen controllers, discs, AND EVEN Full Setups stolen at tournaments (yes people should watch their own stuff, but they can't while they are suppose to play on station 10 on the other side of a crowded room). If they are bringing a setup, Make sure you show some appreciation! Waive that fee (doesn't have to be all of it, but at least half). They are bringing Setups FOR YOU! YOUR TOURNAMENT CANNOT EXIST WITHOUT THEIR SETUPS!!!!
But if you aren't wavering, be prepared to step it up in case people decide not to risk their gear. I sometimes bring 2 SETUPS (with someone in my crew supplying the Wii) to the tournaments I go to and I always have them to the one I host. The TVs I have, are cheap Walmart TVs I got for 60 bucks each. I'm sure people out there can find better deals. The Smashfield (Nope, Capem, Lou + co) Crew has about 7 TVs for a HOUSE TOURNAMENT! Good TOs know the importance of setups, GREAT TOs know to supply them.
The more setups: the faster things go which means the more events you can have (including Melee).

EDIT EDIT::: I'll clean this up and if you want, you can add to the OP :p

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
TheKiest's post is full of win. Tons of good ideas and very true stuff everyone should read it and try to throw a fun "casual tournament". They really up the atmosphere.

---

I would waive set ups if I were
-Running a national or regional tournament
-Running a tournament in a venue that I got for free

But unfortunately the reason I can hold my events is cause I tell the people who own the venues that they get $5 per head and they simply wouldn't under stand why possibly 1/3rd of the people may not pay the fee they were promised *this is especially true with Wings and Brew since they give each person pizza/soda for the $5 fee, for my DU events this is less true so I can take 10-15 out of the venue fees and use it for other things like paying out to 4th place in doubles or giving an assistant TO their venue fee back, etc*.

Ideally there isn't even a venue fee to begin with. And if there is, also ideally, you give discounts or waive completely venue fee. However if money is the only reward you may be disappointed, because I haven't had problems yet in either Ohio or in Maryland and I've never offered an incentive for bringing a setup, whereas tournaments that do offer this incentive typically fall short of their goals cause they just assume people will bring a setup cause there is an incentive.

Regardless of what you do if you are running a tournament for the first time or a tournament of any size larger then 50 you should keep an active tally of who you expect to bring setups and you should stay on top of people to bring them. Constantly remind people that they are needed. You should really do this for any tournament but the smaller ones and if you have already run a few then you can sorta expect the same people to bring setups as the previous tournament you held. If you can't expect this then you have to be gungho again and tell the community you need them to step up.

I'll answer some of the other questions a little later.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Any reasoning for 55 30 15 over 60 30 10? People were wondering why at my last event.
I think its because we are looking at amount of money a player gains by placing in the money. First should definitely get almost twice as much as 2nd, so should 2nd get 3 times as much as third?

Looking at a 16 man Doubles results with 60 30 10 ($320 total)
1: 192 (96 per player)
2: 96 (48 per player)
3: 32 (16 per player)

Looking at 55 30 15
1: 176 (88 per player)
2: 96 (48 per player)
3: 48 (24 per player)

I think he's looking at "who wins money at tournaments". In Ohio, usually the top 2 teams are about the same every time. The fight for third is usually very tough and undetermined. This extra 5 percent is meant to encourage more people to place in the money. In singles, that 5th place money is reachable to many more people. The "reach" for more money inspires more people to do better.

Personally I think this payout suits that theory more (what I use for side events/doubles not part of a circuit):
1st. 60%-(3/4 entry)
2nd. 30%-(1/4 entry)
3rd. 10%
4th. Money back

Looking at this one:
1: 177 (88.5 per player)
2: 91 (45.5 per player) ** To avoid having to use change, you could round the odd number to a even number either way... 176 and 92 or 178 and 90
3: 32 (16 per player)
4: 20 (10 per player)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The main reason I think
55-30-15 is better is because if you get like 7 teams which is typical for a local tournament then 3rd place gets their money back. If you get more then 7 then 3rd place is actually making money.

ADHD

Smash Hero
The main reason I think
55-30-15 is better is because if you get like 7 teams which is typical for a local tournament then 3rd place gets their money back. If you get more then 7 then 3rd place is actually making money.
AZ I wanna go to one of your tournaments ! ^_^

TheKiest

Smash Champion
I like his OPs.... heh. Very well detailed and organized. I will have to steal the multiple posts thing in the future (I just se my extra for setups and housing info)

This thread has inspired me to write a guide... heh

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ideally there isn't even a venue fee to begin with. And if there is, also ideally, you give discounts or waive completely venue fee. However if money is the only reward you may be disappointed, because I haven't had problems yet in either Ohio or in Maryland and I've never offered an incentive for bringing a setup, whereas tournaments that do offer this incentive typically fall short of their goals cause they just assume people will bring a setup cause there is an incentive.
Haha, you only had 4 TVs at the last one! Almost a problem XD

(it was a smaller than average tournament, only like 20 people, so not a horrible ratio)

Incentive is suuuuuuuper important for getting setups. I carry a TV in my trunk so it doesn't really matter to me, but back when my TV didn't fit in my trunk I just left it at home if there wasn't a venue waive. I know a lot of others that do the same.

If you can't waive venue fee, you have to individually ask people you know to bring TVs! This'll really help out the tournament.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I like his OPs.... heh. Very well detailed and organized. I will have to steal the multiple posts thing in the future (I just se my extra for setups and housing info)

This thread has inspired me to write a guide... heh
Using in page links is the secret to the best OPs
though unfortunately you have to be a mod to do them :/

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
In fairness at my last tournament if I were really worried of finishing the tournament on time then I could have
-Picked up a TV from my apartment, one more from Quivo's, one from Joey (a member of the fraternity) and use the big screen from upstairs. All of those did exist and could have been obtained fairly easily (just needed a car to to pick ups, everything existed within 12 blocks of the venue).

4 tvs for 22 people was a bad ratio (~1 to 5 ratio) but still not terrible (Pound 4 had a ratio of ~ 1 to 7, and COT 4 had ~ 1 to 8, and Genesis had ~ 1 to 15) and the tournament finished on time (actually a little early). There just weren't as many friendlies as I typically like to see people having. Next time I'll arrange to have that happen. It also didn't help that one of NEOH's TV's was broken.

Also I understand the risk of bringing setups, probably more then most people. On the way to C4 Galore last year I was bringing my tv down the stairs of my apartment. To make a short story short, I fell from the 7th step and dropped my $400 tv and it broke. Haven't been able to use it since. My GF let me borrow her 32inch TV and that is what I've been using ever since. Unfortunately, since it technically isn't my TV, I don't bring it places unless it is absolutely necessary (I brought it to a Wings and Brew once when it was looking like we would be low on TVs but we winded up having 10 tvs and turning a 40 inch TV of Z's away because we didn't have room, lol).

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Buying TVs from a Goodwill store is awesome. I got 2 TVs recently. One of them was like 20 some inches (maybe 24?) with AV ports for $25, and another like 19" or so with no AV for $7.50, then a VCR for $10 so I can use AV on it.

And since I don't care about those TVs too much not needing them at home and are extra ones I keep them at my venue now ready to be used whenever.

Gonna also start keeping and eye out on yard sales soon to buy TVs.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I need to start doing that. For the next 2 years or so these things should be both cheap and bountiful, but after that they will become harder and harder to find.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
hopefully in 2 years there will be a new hd nintendo system so we can forget about this nonsense and use small easy to carry LCDs

also going to look into VGA cables for the wii. i played on one someone had once and there was 0 lag. i need to look into that. if the cables r cheap u could go into a lan center with 20 monitors and hold a tourney needing no TVs.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What what?

Do you know the model TV or what the cables are/where I can get them? I am very interested in purchasing an LCD/Flatscreen of some sort that I can also play Brawl on with no lag. Do you happen to know if this is possible?

Also, I don't know what "VGA" cables are. LOL. I'm totally ignorant on the new-age technology.

Preferably like 20-24 inch.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So what exactly would the set up be so that I can have a 20-24 inch LCD (or some other type of flat panel television) with no lag?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
lol vga cables are like 20 years old, its the standard monitor cable (though DVI is almost the standard nowadays)

if u want a LCD that doesn't lag in general, you can get really close to it with a good brand TV that has a game mode + component cables. I just bought a new TV 3 months ago, it's a LG 32" 1080p. it has a game mode, i use component cables, and i honestly can't feel any lag while playing on it, and neither could other players playing on it like vex. stick to the major brands, sony lg and samsung. you should also be able to bring a wii in (with component cables) to a store like best buy and test it out b4 u buy it on a store model. iv never tried it, but others have told me they let u try em out no prob.

what the monitor cable would do though is hopefully ensure any standard PC monitor can be used without lag, and the picture is reaaaaly nice and clear to. if this is possible, lan center tournies can be awesomeeee.

but yea, if ur looking for a new tv sans lag, recap:
-stick to samsung, sony, lg
-has a game mode
-use component cables (and remember to enable 480p in settings)
-try b4 u buy

Exalador

Smash Lord
Buying TVs from a Goodwill store is awesome. I got 2 TVs recently. One of them was like 20 some inches (maybe 24?) with AV ports for $25, and another like 19" or so with no AV for $7.50, then a VCR for $10 so I can use AV on it.

And since I don't care about those TVs too much not needing them at home and are extra ones I keep them at my venue now ready to be used whenever.

Gonna also start keeping and eye out on yard sales soon to buy TVs.
What also might be a good idea, and what I've done here in the Netherlands, is go to some hotels that still use CRT-TVs. Ask around at those hotels if they are planning to replace them with LCD/Plasma/LED any time soon, and what they are gonna do with the old CRT-TVs.

A hotel near where I'm from was getting rid of 100+ CRT-TVs, which aren't useful for normal use, since they have Hotel-software on it... Nevertheless, they did have a working Scart and AV channel, so perfect for hooking up older consoles :). I bought 25 there for €10 a piece (roughly $13,50 per TV). I couldve got them for €7,50 ($10) a piece if i bought all of em (120 TVs in total i think).

They work perfectly with the wii/cube... + they are all the same TVs, so i can control them all with 1 remote ^^

EDIT: all these TVs have a 52cm (20,5") display

dealth0072

Smash Journeyman
lol vga cables are like 20 years old, its the standard monitor cable (though DVI is almost the standard nowadays)

if u want a LCD that doesn't lag in general, you can get really close to it with a good brand TV that has a game mode + component cables. I just bought a new TV 3 months ago, it's a LG 32" 1080p. it has a game mode, i use component cables, and i honestly can't feel any lag while playing on it, and neither could other players playing on it like vex. stick to the major brands, sony lg and samsung. you should also be able to bring a wii in (with component cables) to a store like best buy and test it out b4 u buy it on a store model. iv never tried it, but others have told me they let u try em out no prob.

what the monitor cable would do though is hopefully ensure any standard PC monitor can be used without lag, and the picture is reaaaaly nice and clear to. if this is possible, lan center tournies can be awesomeeee.

but yea, if ur looking for a new tv sans lag, recap:
-stick to samsung, sony, lg
-has a game mode
-use component cables (and remember to enable 480p in settings)
-try b4 u buy
I'd like to add on to say that I have a Slyvania 720P tv with component cables now, and it has a game mode. I feel 0 lag.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
What what?

Do you know the model TV or what the cables are/where I can get them? I am very interested in purchasing an LCD/Flatscreen of some sort that I can also play Brawl on with no lag. Do you happen to know if this is possible?

Also, I don't know what "VGA" cables are. LOL. I'm totally ignorant on the new-age technology.

Preferably like 20-24 inch.
i have a TV exactly like this. =O fits in my bookbag and has sexy quality. Everyone who played on it said it either had no lag or 1 frame (lol dmt) of lag.

On another note. I think there should be some discount for venue fees. I personally rely on that to make tournies not so rediculously expensive.

Also what's the reasoning for $10 entry fee? I would MUCH more appreciate $5. with $10 I feel like I can't enter doubles (which is really gay) also, its much harder to convince my casual friends to come with me AND team with me ($25 at least, not counting traveling costs). With a $10 fee I pay $50 for one tournament (this includes travel and assumes I enter singles and doubles). And once that starts happening I have to limit tournaments to like once a month. If were cheaper (like ~30) I wouldn't have a problem with going every week.

I'm tempted to say local tournaments should have no entrance cost (which would be amazing for me), but I know this would take away the incentive of top players to attend and people who travel to non-nationals.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Honestly I <3 $5 entry tournaments. Chu Dats biweeklies are $5 entry and $3 venue so its $13 to enter everything and its awesome.

Having a lower entry fee is fine but it is tricky to figure out the combination that gets new people to come but also keeps the higher level talent still interested in your tournament. Ideally you want both crowds and the $10 entry format seems to work for that.

Top Bottom