• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6/21/08 Chesterland, Ohio: Enter The Fray 3 - HOST IS AWOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Tch. That makes it a no-go for me.

However, I completely respect the decision, and hopefully I'll have a chance to compete in some tourneys later in the summer, mmkay?

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Those who can't make the new date but who still want to go to a good event on the previous date should check out Smash and Coffee. I know I'm hoping to go to both.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for the advertising Xiivi!

Smash and Coffee is in Northern Indiana on the 7th. We'd love to have you all come out. Should be a good time.

The venue is great.
The host is incredibly good looking.
The coffee is free!

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
i might actually be able to make this one seeing as its not out of state =D
along with me might come 3-6 others if they feel the need to come on this day cause i deff cant wait to try out my skills against people who are sitting next to me rather than through the p.o.s wfc that is set up

Xlaurousislx

Smash Apprentice
i would love to go...postpone it one month!!

I'd have to see what I could do...It's gonna be at this gaming shop that normally doesn't have smash tourneys....so basically when I can call the dude up and tell him that i can represent about 15+ people alone, then he will have it (not to mention there may be a couple dozen from Marion and the boys from Mt. Gilead being there)

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I think Wigz meant this tournament.
Wigz, if you're ever able to come here, I'll have a tournament prepared, whether or not it be this one.
I'm holding more and more STD's which'll be biweekly during the summer for anyone close enough to care.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Sliq beat me to the punch.

Argue away on the stages everyone. Make a good case and we can make the right changes.

Just don't hope to have anything changed for being stoopid.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Castle Siege is fine as a counterpick. Sure you can get gimped by the stage, but that's rare. If you do lose just because of the stage (which is quite predictable, so it's actually your fault), prove you're better by winning the next round. I actually typed about 3 times this much because I mistakingly assumed Silhouette implied Castle Siege was NEUTRAL. That would have been a problem. Actually, if there's anything to change, it should be Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Story, and Pokemon Stadium (melee) going neutral.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
im going to have to agree with Silhouette in saying that castle siege is a stoopid level for the fact that when the level is in the middle of switching, it could easily screw someone over on the ledge let alone the fact that the playing field shifts so many times while actually playing on the map.
i do think yoshi story should be neutral though, and not so much the Poke stadium (melee) because of the windmill being screwy

Edit: Also, why isnt corneria (major spelling error) on the counter picks?

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Actually Para, your spelling of Corneria is quite correct! I can also agree with Corneria becoming a neutral, and as for Castle Siege, everyone should be fairly familiar by now of where the ledges stand when the level changes. Yoshi's Story is a neutral at most tournaments (I believe, at least at every tourney I've been to), and I also agree with the point about PS1.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Corneria should be a counterpick, but not neutral. Want to play a DDD there as your neutral selection?

Again, maybe this should be bumped back another week due to Father's Day... my odds of attending would increase :D

EDIT: Who is Wigz? Is that WGS? I played a Gamebattles match against a Wigz once - same person?

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Corneria should be a counterpick, but not neutral. Want to play a DDD there as your neutral selection?

Again, maybe this should be bumped back another week due to Father's Day... my odds of attending would increase :D

EDIT: Who is Wigz? Is that WGS? I played a Gamebattles match against a Wigz once - same person?
I would agree on the Father's Day subject. I would be paying 40-50$ for this and then come home and have nothing for my father. How embarrassing would that be!

Xlaurousislx

Smash Apprentice
I would agree on the Father's Day subject. I would be paying 40-50$ for this and then come home and have nothing for my father. How embarrassing would that be!
......True

If this one does get postponed, it would be more practical to also postpone or reschedule the one in Marion the day before...I dont think they will care too much to replan it

What say you?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion

I think you're are thinking of Chuck-Wigz, who is not Master WGS.. You used Bowser against what I can only assume would be his Snake? He's in [p2w] so I know him through the crew. And whats the deal on the postponing guys, you we need to move it another week with respect to Father's Day, or is another move way out of the cards? I just want peak attendance and a good experience out of this.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
I would prefer another postponement. In light of the events that happened this year, missing father's day for this would not look good at all. XD

If you don't postpone it, it is no big deal, I would still attend. I wouldn't be complaining if you did, however.

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
I think you're are thinking of Chuck-Wigz, who is not Master WGS.. You used Bowser against what I can only assume would be his Snake? He's in [p2w] so I know him through the crew. And whats the deal on the postponing guys, you we need to move it another week with respect to Father's Day, or is another move way out of the cards? I just want peak attendance and a good experience out of this.

Well, I think everyone was fine with the movement to the 14th until everyone realized it was Father's Day weekend. (No one seems to think that far ahead, haha.) I think most people would still come despite father's day, but it is enough to turn some people away. Either way I think you'll get a good attendance.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
See I would like to postpone it to ensure higher attendance, but then I think I'm screwing over the people that keep crawling back to their bosses and asking off work over and over.

Thoughts?

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
See I would like to postpone it to ensure higher attendance, but then I think I'm screwing over the people that keep crawling back to their bosses and asking off work over and over.

Thoughts?
That is a good point, and some bosses may not like it, but then again, you'll still work the week before, if you can get it.

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
Lylat Cruise and Yoshi Story should be neutral. I've never seen an argument for Yoshi Story not being neutral. Is it because of the randomness of the ghost platform? Because that's not a very strong argument. Lylat Cruise sways a little...also not a good reason to make it a counterpick. The tilting is very predictable and it only serves to make camping with horizontal firing projectiles a little harder, the same way FD makes camping with said projectiles incredibly easy. My point: if FD is neutral, so should Lylat Cruise.

Next, Norfair and Pictochat could be considered neutral Counterpick (typo). Norfair's Lava is just as easy to dodge as Halberd's stuff. You can see it coming a mile away, and the wall from the back can be shielded so big dumb fights for the capsule are unnecessary. Only unfixable issue with Norfair is possibilities for easy camping, but I've never seen this be an issue.

Pictochat is more up to your discretion. It can be silly sometimes but not a whole lot more silly than most other stages.

Last. Don't ban Castle Seige, I've only seen someone gimped by the stage switch once and it was definitely their own fault. It's a good stage.

Edit: meant to say that Norfair and Pictochat should be COUNTERPICK not Neutral. Sorry for the Typo.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
My bosses are cool. If I need time off moved later on in the week, they are cool with it as long as I let them know in advance instead of the week of. Other people are not that lucky however.

I'll come either way, so it is up to you.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Lylat Cruise and Yoshi Story should be neutral. I've never seen an argument for Yoshi Story not being neutral. Is it because of the randomness of the ghost platform? Because that's not a very strong argument. Lylat Cruise sways a little...also not a good reason to make it a counterpick. The tilting is very predictable and it only serves to make camping with horizontal firing projectiles a little harder, the same way FD makes camping with said projectiles incredibly easy. My point: if FD is neutral, so should Lylat Cruise.

Next, Norfair and Pictochat could be considered neutral. Norfair's Lava is just as easy to dodge as Halberd's stuff. You can see it coming a mile away, and the wall from the back can be shielded so big dumb fights for the capsule are unnecessary. Only unfixable issue with Norfair is possibilities for easy camping, but I've never seen this be an issue.

Pictochat is more up to your discretion. It can be silly sometimes but not a whole lot more silly than most other stages.

Last. Don't ban Castle Seige, I've only seen someone gimped by the stage switch once and it was definitely their own fault. It's a good stage.
You want Norfair and Pictochat stages to be neutral? Both stages can kill you. I don't care if you can see it coming 4 second beforehand (sometimes even less), if you're in a bad position compared to you opponent for when the lava/random obstacles come, then the stage can gimp you, and that is something that shouldn't be included in neutral stages. Besides, Norfair messes up my upB spikes with Zero Suit :p (just joking around there, experienced players never fall for that anyway). Seriously, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon Stadium 1, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza... There are stages that are more worth of being neutral than Norfair/Pictochat that are rarely included in tournament neutral lists.

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
fear4, I don't agree with Norfair neutral at all. Even ignoring the lava. The platform layout definitely helps some and hurts others. It's not a neutral layout.

Also, the thing with Lylat's tilting is it screws over characters who rely on autocancels. Yoshi's Story Brawl is fine because the uneven layout simply forces you to be cautious of your autocancels. The tilting in Lylat can randomly screw over your autocancel though. Makes using Ganondorf's thunderfoot useless, which really stinks.

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
You want Norfair and Pictochat stages to be neutral? Both stages can kill you. I don't care if you can see it coming 4 second beforehand (sometimes even less), if you're in a bad position compared to you opponent for when the lava/random obstacles come, then the stage can gimp you, and that is something that shouldn't be included in neutral stages. Besides, Norfair messes up my upB spikes with Zero Suit :p (just joking around there, experienced players never fall for that anyway). Seriously, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon Stadium 1, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza... There are stages that are more worth of being neutral than Norfair/Pictochat that are rarely included in tournament neutral lists.
Woah! sorry sorry! TYPO!

I definitely didn't mean to say that Norfair and Picto should be neutral! Major Typo. I meant to say that they could be Counterpick. My Bad.

Also to Xiivi: At what point to you start getting rid of stages because they aren't great for one character. For example, in Melee, Dreamland 64 made it harder for fox to kill with Up Smash. Usmash was a huge part of Fox's game, the same way thunderfoot is a huge part of Ganondorf's Brawl game. If you're a character that doesn't play as well on a certain stage, you choose it as your ban am I right? Lylat cruise isn't so ridiculous to not call it a neutral.

It's not like I'm telling you to make 75m neutral and saying "if you don't like it, choose it as your ban". Lylat hurts certain parts of a small handfull of character's game's. Smells like a neutral to me.

NeroKiks

Smash Rookie
can someone please tell me when this is?

i am really interested in attending, i just need the date

i've seen many different dates and i'm just curious to what the date actually is

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
Also to Xiivi: At what point to you start getting rid of stages because they aren't great for one character. For example, in Melee, Dreamland 64 made it harder for fox to kill with Up Smash. Usmash was a huge part of Fox's game, the same way thunderfoot is a huge part of Ganondorf's Brawl game. If you're a character that doesn't play as well on a certain stage, you choose it as your ban am I right? Lylat cruise isn't so ridiculous to not call it a neutral.
Fox could still get great kills at decent percents with up-smash on N64. Sure, it wasn't a great stage for him, but it didn't completely destroy his game just because up-smash killed at a higher percentage. This stage can literally punish you for using the move. You might do the dair with perfect timing as Ganondorf, then the stage tilts, and you end up having to eat a forward smash due to lag. This effects anyone trying to autocancel a move. There's a difference between Fox having to wait longer to get his up-smash kills and ganondorf losing an entire approach and even getting punished for trying it altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom