• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5/17 GIGABITS - May I have another Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
35/15/10/5/2.5/2.5 - 12
40/20/10 - 6
50/15/5 - 0

Thanks for voting guys, keep it up!!!

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
35/15/10/5/2.5/2.5 - 12
40/20/10 - 6
50/15/5 - 0

Thanks for voting guys, keep it up!!!

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
I wanna change my vote to
35/15/10/5/2.5/2.5

This would be ideal for a solid 128 player event. However it would be too cheap if it is ~60 players. I like the idea of reducing the 1st place prize pool a bit to give to the lesser places though.

If below than 90 players: 40/15/10/5
If above 90 players: 35/15/10/5/2.5/2.5

Thoughts?

Also, I talked with Fenrir in between classes and I told him a little bit about re-structuring the pools into a more productive system. MWarhead talked to me about it and here is the breakdown.

Suppose there are 128 players for the event. Instead of dividing it out into pools where it takes as long as the slowest pool (lets face it, some pools know how to finish faster than others) we could separate it into four seperate 32 player brackets in which an even amount of seeded players are distributed. The top 8 (maybe more or less than 8) would advance to a new 32 player bracket. I would get all round 1 upper/lower bracket matches done first, the reason for this:

1) Everybody gets to play at a reasonable time, instead of waiting 2 hours for your bracket to come up
2) The player base is cut in half after this, sure not all of the people eliminated will leave at the time, but it will definitely clear the place up for you guys.

So we'll keep you guys updated with the new plans. We certainly don't want to crank it out till 6am again, so I think this will make it a little easier for you guys as well as the gigs guys!

I just can't wait for the day when we have so many people coming to Gigs events that we'd have to rent out a room at a hotel convention and run a two-day event, now THAT would be epicness.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I like cecil's split myself. and with top 5 I have more of a chance of actually getting some money :p

Oh and please please please don't do pools again, I think that actually made the tournament longer and if you decide to do only 2 stock matches that leave almost no room for an awesome comeback making the games less enjoyable, I think everyone agrees that 3 stock is the perfect amount of lives for brawl. and with preregistration I'm expecting doubles will start closer to noon than 2, therefore cutting 2 hours off the day already =D

_Raef_

Smash Apprentice
I think you guys should be more harsh when it comes to DQs.
My second DOUBLES match I HAD TO WAIT for OVER 20 MINUTES for the other team to show up and I had to tell you guys twice to call them on the mic, then they showed up and I had to play them for about ANOTHER 20 MINUTES to beat them. It took around 50 MINUTES to do my second round match.

If a team/player doesn't show within 5 - 10 minutes of when they're called, they should forfeit the match or be DQ'd from the tourny, theres just too many people and not enough time to be nice about it.
AND its not fair to the other 100+ people at the tourny.

The 4/19 Gigs tourny registration started at 11am and the tourny ended on 4/20 at 6:30am!!!
Thats almost 20 HOURS, I see why the finalists split the pot, they must've been EXHAUSTED.
Not to mention you had to stand most of the time, it was hot, crowded, just STRESSFUL.

Hopefully it'll run more smoothly next time Mwarhead.
Good luck, and nice try for your first Brawl tourny, GREAT competition and GREAT turnout!

I vote for TOP 4:
35/20/10/5

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I dont have a problem with this date, as far as interrupting my tourny goes.

I do have a problem, however, with MISSING THIS ****!

With that in mind, Im stuck with two options.

Move Brawl BashIII up a week earlier (not caring about low turnout if u go to another tourny, to me it'd just be a practice tourny for gigs at this moment)

Option 2,
Find alternate host for my tourny this one time.
I'd rather do the first, as that allows me to attend both tournies.

Lemme hear your thoughts, if any.

Cloudstealth

Smash Journeyman
Well somebody has to change the date, because two awsome tourneys should not be held on the same date. I don't want to miss either of them.

nevershootme

Smash Master
as it stands there's melee tourney at ZP (may 10th), Gigs (17th), tampa (Manko on the 24th). so switch ZP Brawl tourney to may 3rd or 30th, or switch the Gigs tourney somewhere else? I mean i see that there should be a tourney every saturday throughout may.

not to mention the hell-raising gas prices as of late. 4 bucks a gallon for the highest quality of gas in miami... and 3.50 the lowest. you don't wanna kill peoples wallets just for gas.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Nah gigs isn't gonna change. You can't expect CFL to come to every SFL tourney. We don't expect SFL to come to every CFL tourney. Besides gigs is gonna get 100 people again no matter if SFL is having a tourney on the same day so theres no motivation for them to change the date anyway.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Raef: don't be so quick to judge. At no point in the tournament (aside from when the wrong results were either given to the hosts or put in the computer) was the whole thing held up by one match. Of course, it was a bit of a problem for you guys...and us...but it wasn't a big deal.

Also...nice try? seriously? um...this was probably the smoothest run tournament anywhere near this size. Yes, the place is small...it wasn't unbearably hot...it was warm at times, but that's what happens when 130 bodies try to warm the room to 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. As far as standing...well, there isn't room for 150 chairs. sorry. A lot of what you're complaining about, you don't seem to realize is unavoidable... When you have roughly 50 people wanting to register still at noon...when it was supposed to be starting at 11:30...either, you can turn all those people away and lose customers, lose pot size, and screw people out of the tourney, or you can start a bit later. I'm sorry, but it's not reasonable to turn 50 or so people away. There were a lot of moments like this...and tell me this. Name one other tourney near this size that has run more smoothly.

As far as Gigabits vs Seibrik Tourney...Um, I don't know that this one is avoidable. I know a lot of people that might come to this would want to go down for the Melee tourney...so I personally thought that competing Brawl tournaments would be better than Melee vs Brawl...so people don't have to decide. Of course, it's not the ideal situation...but explain a way out of this. The week later is Mankosuki's tournament, which should NOT compete with Gigs, since they're in the same-ish area. The week before is Linguini's...the week before THAT is too soon, and if we delay it two weeks, we can just hold two tournaments in slightly more time. Like I said, it's not the ideal, but I don't think it can be avoided. I know a large number of CFlians would go to a gigs tournament...even if some went to seibrik's...so it's kinda out there.

And the top 8 thing Cecil put out there is a very good idea...very very good idea.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
So then I can just make it the same day as Mankos, a week later. I don't care about interfering with my tourny, if people would rather go to mankos or w.e. the point is i do want to host one sometime soon, but i personally wanna be able to go to gigs. Thats the issue. you shouldn't change ur date for that, I should, its a personal thing.

So for now, the brawl bash will be the 24th, i will update my thread later tonight.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter

If below than 90 players: 40/15/10/5
If above 90 players: 35/15/10/5/2.5/2.5

Thoughts?

Also, I talked with Fenrir in between classes and I told him a little bit about re-structuring the pools into a more productive system. MWarhead talked to me about it and here is the breakdown.

Suppose there are 128 players for the event. Instead of dividing it out into pools where it takes as long as the slowest pool (lets face it, some pools know how to finish faster than others) we could separate it into four seperate 32 player brackets in which an even amount of seeded players are distributed. The top 8 (maybe more or less than 8) would advance to a new 32 player bracket.
This is all PERFECT!!

I totally agree with all of this, and I hope it goes exactly this way.

Too Good, Too Good.

/excitement!:chuckle::chuckle:

nevershootme

Smash Master
Dividing into 4 divisions (mini tourneys) sounds like a plan. But you are taking the top 4 players from each division in this case. Unless you were gonna get the 1st and 2nd place of each division (top 8) and seed them accordingly for the grand finals.

What about seeding players so they don't get matched up with the player they've played before. Such as crews and the like...

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Dividing into 4 divisions (mini tourneys) sounds like a plan. But you are taking the top 4 players from each division in this case. Unless you were gonna get the 1st and 2nd place of each division (top 8) and seed them accordingly for the grand finals.

What about seeding players so they don't get matched up with the player they've played before. Such as crews and the like...
he said he's taking the top 8 from EACH of the divisions, leading to a 32 man bracket....it's kinda a pseudo-pool system

Shadowex3

Smash Apprentice
That would work, allthough you'd have to be careful to make sure that people didn't wind up playing the same people each tournament. I think number the TV's and turning off the computers helped a LOT as well.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i dunno. for having 128 people, i think this tourney was ran about as smoothly as it could have

I like the different payouts for both over and under 90 people that cecil said, even though half of his idea came from fenrir. Im sure all of gigs tourneys will be 90+ though.

Actually, the brawl portion of manko's tourney is on sunday...If i were insane enough, i could go to jewish holocaust oven III saturday and manko sunday, like i did for oven II/All day brawl day a few weekends ago.

Cant wait for this tourney, and the weekend around it

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
If this tournament is over 100, I'll be very surprised.

Almost half of that last Gigs was UCF students. Now that summer break is in effect, most of those kids will be home, and not willing to drive for a tournament they don't stand a chance at winning.

I expect 85-100, but I wouldn't be surprised by 70-80.

Gindler

Smash Champion
So true Rx so true, I know I'll be home during this and coming back like a 2-3weeks later "/

darn me and my doubles partner really wanted to try and win again (as if we had a chance :p)

Gindler

Smash Champion
So is this really going to be two stock pools? Cause wouldn't 3 stock double elim brackets take so much less time?

Loto

Smash Ace
Considering it was really 167 but a lot of people left because of how late it was running I wouldn't be surprised if it was 120. =/

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
Gonna team with Max for this one... if he cant make it, im down to team with joe tru again, that team was nuts.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
May 17th = after end of semester = I'm definitely going.

Raistlin and I are totally taking teams this time; we've developed some new strageties.

And I'm totally up for the 35/15/10/5/2.5/2.5 split.

And speaking of a seeding chart, what do the seeding POINTS look like right now.

OTRU...

Smash Champion
Gonna team with Max for this one... if he cant make it, im down to team with joe tru again, that team was nuts.
yo but arent we going to new york that weekend?

Im not gonna be able to make it, im gonna be in New York that weekend, same goes for skrach and maybe xYz (let us know Will)

Raistlin

Smash Lord
May 17th = after end of semester = I'm definitely going.

Raistlin and I are totally taking teams this time; we've developed some new strageties.

And I'm totally up for the 35/15/10/5/2.5/2.5 split.

And speaking of a seeding chart, what do the seeding POINTS look like right now.
Truu

or in other words spam side tilt

over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
All you need to do is crouch while facing right. That is auto-win.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone mentioned Lylat Cruise? I don't know if there's a general consensus on this stage not being Neutral, but Seibrik's seems to have removed it from their Neutral list.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
yeah. Don't do pools.

Mwarhead, which guy are you? The one at the counter at the computer? Or the guy who gave me a free water because gigabits is pro.

Has anyone mentioned Lylat Cruise? I don't know if there's a general consensus on this stage not being Neutral, but Seibrik's seems to have removed it from their Neutral list.
Just because seibrik johns about a stage doesn't mean they have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom