• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5/17 GIGABITS - May I have another Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Has anyone mentioned Lylat Cruise? I don't know if there's a general consensus on this stage not being Neutral, but Seibrik's seems to have removed it from their Neutral list.

Hahaha. Seibrik's stage list is a bit messed up. There's no reason Lylat shouldn't be neutral...and the general consensus is that it is neutral, so it stays.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Lylat Cruise sucks just as much as Battlefield did in Melee. I think we should find a new fifth neutral.

Hungrybox: I am rooting for you to prevail with awesome new homoTactics for this Gigs.

Frames

DI
Yea, i don't like lylat that much either.

Also, I am gonna own this *****, i got the gayest strategies in the works, u have no idea, ima be mad gay for this ****, like some liberachi + richard simmons ****. Watch out!

Gindler

Smash Champion
Hmmm, I seem to be the only one that likes lylat. Isn't halbred rather "neutrallish" as well? I mean sure it shoots a lazer at you but unless you stand still for 5 seconds you're not gonna get hit.

Finch

Smash Lord
If the claws didn't edgeguard you sometimes and the laser wasn't so ridiculously strong I'd say halberd is neutral, but as it stands it's not.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ah, I've never been edgegaurded by the claw myself. Then again whenever I'm hit it's always on the stage. And I guess I just like throwing people into the laser, as far as the layout of the level goes It's definetly nuetral though. But hey it's not so meh.

blindghost

Smash Apprentice
why don't we just add it to this? there is enough time until the tourney...and you know there's going to be around 100 people again...I say we add it to this. It's not right to have to place top 3 to get any money at all....expand it

so who's with me on this?

35/15/10/5/2.5/2.5
Add me up for 35 system, and for the over/under 90 bit, too.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Doodah, im almost postitive im gonna postpone mine a week, that way everyone that wants to go to gigs can.

(pretty sure its a bit more popular than manko...)

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
The new seeding chart is going to look so interesting. It's going to be all morphed.

I'm excited to see it.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
I personally like 30/15/10/8/5/2/pizza/pizza

As for brackets vs. pools, I'm not sure. Pools are obviously better for noobs like me who need experience. But I also don't wanna be there till 4am!

But seriously about the split, 35 sounds good.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
The bracket idea Cecil posted is a brilliant idea for this...

top 8 advance from 4 32-man double-elim brackets......that should work out where you can't play the same person twice in the "pool" bracket...with top 8 advancing.

From there, those top 8 in each "pool" bracket go into the final 32 man bracket...which is also double elim.

I really, really like this system. It will greatly speed things up, a single person runs everything, so one pool isn't slowing down the tournament. (grr at Q.....jk I <3 Q). LIke I said, you shouldn't have to play the same person twice in the "pool" bracket...so that's cool. We won't have to have two different rule sets (two stock pools...2 matches instead of 3....etc etc etc) and it just speeds things up. I like it MUCH more than just one huge bracket...and quite a bit more than pools.

Also, as far as cash payout, just go with Cecil's setup. that works out really well.

Zoro

Smash Champion
I personally like 30/15/10/8/5/2/pizza/pizza

As for brackets vs. pools, I'm not sure. Pools are obviously better for noobs like me who need experience. But I also don't wanna be there till 4am!

But seriously about the split, 35 sounds good.
YEAH PIZZA!

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
They could even designate certain TVs to the tourney..like those 3-4 in the far back as one bracket, the single TV and the two on the same table beside it as another, etc. etc.

Thats of course, saying they have at least 12 TVs again for 3/bracket, but that shouldn't be a problem

when they say top 8 from a bracket, they mean they're gonna play out the entire 32 man bracket in double elim style like it was a tourney and then take the top 8 standings from that bracket? I hope thats the way they do it...i thought of something else that would be much gayer and i hope they dont think that way too

Im already amped up for this. Its about time i stop failing in tourneys (33rd, 25th, 4th out of 18, who knows at ocala) and actually show something

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
They could even designate certain TVs to the tourney..like those 3-4 in the far back as one bracket, the single TV and the two on the same table beside it as another, etc. etc.

Thats of course, saying they have at least 12 TVs again for 3/bracket, but that shouldn't be a problem

when they say top 8 from a bracket, they mean they're gonna play out the entire 32 man bracket in double elim style like it was a tourney and then take the top 8 standings from that bracket? I hope thats the way they do it...i thought of something else that would be much gayer and i hope they dont think that way too

Im already amped up for this. Its about time i stop failing in tourneys (33rd, 25th, 4th out of 18, who knows at ocala) and actually show something
well...I would assume that, unless they're doing full seeding from the brackets, instead of just elimination, they won't play out unnecessary matches....they'll go until there are 8 players left in the bracket and then there you go

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Depending on whether or not I have the money/time for this, I may be coming. Just don't count on it...

Yeah,... I am super broke and need to save up for Manko's tournament. I was being optimistic when I thought I could go. Sorry guys, I hope to see some of you on the 24th or 25th (of next month).

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
well...I would assume that, unless they're doing full seeding from the brackets, instead of just elimination, they won't play out unnecessary matches....they'll go until there are 8 players left in the bracket and then there you go
yea. Thats the gay way i was thinking of. Basically a 32 man bracket, but if you lose once you're pretty much screwed cause they'll have 8 people by the end of 2 rounds. i hope they dont do it this way, and play out the entire bracket, double elim and all

Edit: Wait actually, I think you are talking about yet another way they could do it. i THINK you are saying to play out a normal tourney style 32 man bracket, and then once there are 8 left, stop the bracket, meaning there'd be the 1 winner of all games, and 7 out of the losers bracket. Is that what you're saying fenrir?

Mwarhead, clarify how you are doing the smaller 32 man brackets when you get the chance -_-

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
yea. Thats the gay way i was thinking of. Basically a 32 man bracket, but if you lose once you're pretty much screwed cause they'll have 8 people by the end of 2 rounds. i hope they dont do it this way, and play out the entire bracket, double elim and all

Edit: Wait actually, I think you are talking about yet another way they could do it. i THINK you are saying to play out a normal tourney style 32 man bracket, and then once there are 8 left, stop the bracket, meaning there'd be the 1 winner of all games, and 7 out of the losers bracket. Is that what you're saying fenrir?

Mwarhead, clarify how you are doing the smaller 32 man brackets when you get the chance -_-

No...it's what I'm saying...it's not a single elim bracket or anything like that...it'd be double elim until all but 8 people are knocked out of each bracket...however that actually happens. I think you can figure it out while there are still more than one person in the winner's bracket, but I think under the edit, you've got the idea...Just keep playing the bracket normally in a double-elim way until 8 are left.

now that's if they're just using this for elimination, which I think they will.

Fenrir/Cecil mad props for commin up with the 32x4 bracket

you guys always have excellent ideas to help us out.

<3
I can't take any of this credit...I just support the idea. lol...didn't come up with it. Gigs is too good.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
Would they seed the top 32 bracket based on placing in lower brackets, or on seeding points? Or both in case of tie breakers?

_Raef_

Smash Apprentice
Raef: don't be so quick to judge. At no point in the tournament (aside from when the wrong results were either given to the hosts or put in the computer) was the whole thing held up by one match. Of course, it was a bit of a problem for you guys...and us...but it wasn't a big deal.

Also...nice try? seriously? um...this was probably the smoothest run tournament anywhere near this size. Yes, the place is small...it wasn't unbearably hot...it was warm at times, but that's what happens when 130 bodies try to warm the room to 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. As far as standing...well, there isn't room for 150 chairs. sorry. A lot of what you're complaining about, you don't seem to realize is unavoidable... When you have roughly 50 people wanting to register still at noon...when it was supposed to be starting at 11:30...either, you can turn all those people away and lose customers, lose pot size, and screw people out of the tourney, or you can start a bit later. I'm sorry, but it's not reasonable to turn 50 or so people away. There were a lot of moments like this...and tell me this. Name one other tourney near this size that has run more smoothly.
1) I didn't say the WHOLE tournament was held up by ONE match, I said it took almost an hour for my second round match because the other team didnt show. Two matches could have been done and over with on that TV if the team had just been DQ'd after 10 minutes.
My point is that you could have saved A LOT of time if you hadn't waited for people to show up to their matches for so long.

2) I COMPLETELY understand why you guys started late, EVERY tourny, no matter what the size starts AT LEAST 15-30 minutes late. However, thats no excuse for it to run for 19.5 hours with over 12 televisions. The pools were the reason it dragged for so long. If it was capped at 128 people, no pools would've been required. OR you could've done multiple brackets instead of pools. Just to START singles took over 2 hours, pools took over 4 hours, and then there was a 42-man bracket after that.

3) HARD KNOCKS had their first Brawl tourny, it was 128 people playing singles and was done in about 9 hours. They were supposed to start at 2:00pm and started an hour late. This was their FIRST smash tourny, they had UNDER 10 TVs, and it ran more smoothly.

I'll admit HARD KNOCKS had advantages, bigger place, more employees, very cool (temperature), and they had 128 person CAP. They didn't have anywhere to sit either though.

Pools shouldn't have played out completely cause what occurred in several pools was that the TOP 4 of each pool had such a high lead over the rest of their pool that they were guaranteed to advance, at that point the pools should have ended, some pools ended it early, but others played it out completely. That was more time wasted. And a lot of people just dropped out in pools because they knew they weren't going to advance or because they were tired of waiting. I know people that advanced and DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO PLAY at that point because they were so tired.

Mwarhead also said that 30 people were refunded their entry fee and had to leave as a result of how long the tournament took, so it was UNDER 128 people regardless and the pot lost a lot of money from that. I see that the 5/17 tourny is capped at 128 so thats good.

You made a good point, the temperature, chairs, and insane amount of people is unavoidable and impossible to control but I'm saying the things I mentioned above could DEFINITELY have been better. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to make the next one better and more efficient, so sorry if this is a lot to take in. And sorry if I sound disrespectful in any way cause thats not my intention.

I know its NOT EASY at all and I admire you for taking on the daunting task of running this BEAST of a tourny, I just hope you take some of the things I said into consideration.
Good luck and see you at the 5/17 tourny Fenrir, :)

Zoro

Smash Champion
1) I didn't say the WHOLE tournament was held up by ONE match, I said it took almost an hour for my second round match because the other team didnt show. Two matches could have been done and over with on that TV if the team had just been DQ'd after 10 minutes.
My point is that you could have saved A LOT of time if you hadn't waited for people to show up to their matches for so long.

2) I COMPLETELY understand why you guys started late, EVERY tourny, no matter what the size starts AT LEAST 15-30 minutes late. However, thats no excuse for it to run for 19.5 hours with over 12 televisions. The pools were the reason it dragged for so long. If it was capped at 128 people, no pools would've been required. OR you could've done multiple brackets instead of pools. Just to START singles took over 2 hours, pools took over 4 hours, and then there was a 42-man bracket after that.

3) HARD KNOCKS had their first Brawl tourny, it was 128 people playing singles and was done in about 9 hours. They were supposed to start at 2:00pm and started an hour late. This was their FIRST smash tourny, they had UNDER 10 TVs, and it ran more smoothly.

I'll admit HARD KNOCKS had advantages, bigger place, more employees, very cool (temperature), and they had 128 person CAP. They didn't have anywhere to sit either though.

Pools shouldn't have played out completely cause what occurred in several pools was that the TOP 4 of each pool had such a high lead over the rest of their pool that they were guaranteed to advance, at that point the pools should have ended, some pools ended it early, but others played it out completely. That was more time wasted. And a lot of people just dropped out in pools because they knew they weren't going to advance or because they were tired of waiting. I know people that advanced and DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO PLAY at that point because they were so tired.

Mwarhead also said that 30 people were refunded their entry fee and had to leave as a result of how long the tournament took, so it was UNDER 128 people regardless and the pot lost a lot of money from that. I see that the 5/17 tourny is capped at 128 so thats good.

You made a good point, the temperature, chairs, and insane amount of people is unavoidable and impossible to control but I'm saying the things I mentioned above could DEFINITELY have been better. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to make the next one better and more efficient, so sorry if this is a lot to take in. And sorry if I sound disrespectful in any way cause thats not my intention.

I know its NOT EASY at all and I admire you for taking on the daunting task of running this BEAST of a tourny, I just hope you take some of the things I said into consideration.
Good luck and see you at the 5/17 tourny Fenrir, :)
Omg bro this is your wat 2nd tournament??

because hardknocks was your first tourney your probably going to compare it to every tournament your going to attend from now on.

Sorry to burst your bubble but tournaments are usually run in small stores like this or peoples houses. Very rarely do we have tournaments at places that big.

Gigs is awesome they have been doing this long enough to know whats what. They know more than you so shut up.

First of all WE DID DOUBLES AND SINGLES DUDE!!!! OF COURSE ITLL TAKE LONGER THAN HK
hardknocks only did singles. They had NO advantage over gigs other than space.
The employees actually know what the **** they are doing. They let us bring GOOD TVS. Gigabits is better in so many ways. They do anything we ask. This was the first big brawl tourney for most of us so now we will try to reduce the time.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Sorry if I misunderstood, but it seemed like you were stating that the tournament was being held by one match with the "AND its not fair to the other 100+ people at the tourny." statement. A lot of the time, we don't like to DQ people...it's kinda gay when you have things happening like Mars apparently calling DQs when people didn't even know they were being called. Every effort is made to give the players a chance to hear and show up to their match. A lot of people stand outside, talk to other people...it gets loud and all that. We can't really ask people to stand inside the whole tournament. Of course, it isn't good that your match was held up. I certainly didn't know it was happening. You probably told me...but hey, we're dealing with a lot of things, so we probably called them quite a few times.

It's already been said that the tournament program that was being used couldn't handle a 128 man bracket. I advised them to just do a huge bracket, but they couldn't...so there you go....it's also already been being stated that there are going to be the bracket splits, so this part is already known...

I was actually really hoping you'd bring HK into this, because I haven't had a chance to completely vent about that tournament yet.
First of all...this is obvious. Gigabits ran two tournaments that day, teams and singles bth occurred....and teams wasn't over before 3...so later start already.
Hard knocks only allowed pre-registration...which either required you to be there a few days before, or sign up online with an extra fee....while this helps in time considerations, it certainly doesn't help the players. Gigabits is all about the players...not the business....isn't that how it should be?
Also...everybody I know at the HK tournament got bracket wrecked into brackets with their crew mates for first round and such...one portion of the bracket was obviously harder than the others... While this happens to some extent at Gigs (some is unavoidable), they certainly take pains to make sure it doesn't happen as much. That's what the pools are for. that's what the seedings are for. I personally went 2 hours between matches at that tourney...the longest I'd ever had to wait...at any tournament.
Also, you couldn't bring your own food...or leave to go get food at HK...you had to stay there...the whole day... that's unacceptable. I'm sorry.
The entire bracket at most times was hand written.

Seriously, to say it was a more smoothly run tournament is laughable. Yes, it went faster...not better. There were SO many hangups there that I can't even touch on them all.
HK is basically a douche of a company...their employees are jerks...they don't respect the players. It's all just a business...and if Gigs has to take a bit longer to cater a bit more to players, then my vote is that they do. I'll admit, this tourney ran too long. but discussions are already under way to make it run faster. Having Cecil, the main tournament runner, back will help tremendously...

This is a classic problem. As far as pools are concerned, I'm really not sure how this could be streamlined. We announced several times that all matches didn't have to be played. My pool finished about 2 hours before several of the others. There are times that a pool seriously comes down to the last match, but it shouldn't have to... It depends on the pool runner...and three or so employees have to trust that the players can run them. It appears we're doing away with pools, though, so that probably won't be an issue again.

ugh. wall of text. I realize I'm being a bit legalistic here...and that's not my intention, but I kinda wanted to touch on some of that.

_Raef_

Smash Apprentice
Omg bro this is your wat 2nd tournament??

because hardknocks was your first tourney your probably going to compare it to every tournament your going to attend from now on.

Sorry to burst your bubble but tournaments are usually run in small stores like this or peoples houses. Very rarely do we have tournaments at places that big.

Gigs is awesome they have been doing this long enough to know whats what. They know more than you so shut up.

First of all WE DID DOUBLES AND SINGLES DUDE!!!! OF COURSE ITLL TAKE LONGER THAN HK
hardknocks only did singles. They had NO advantage over gigs other than space.
The employees actually know what the **** they are doing. They let us bring GOOD TVS. Gigabits is better in so many ways. They do anything we ask. This was the first big brawl tourney for most of us so now we will try to reduce the time.
This is my like 6th Brawl tourny and I've been to countless melee tournys...

Whatever, man..just expressing my opinion.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I'm so going to hit this tournament. I just hope the tournament doesn't run too long so I don't have to leave early again.

And after getting 2nd seat in my pool and getting a freakin' BYE first round. That was messed up.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
even though gigs had singles and doubles, the singles tourney for HK still ran in less time than the singles tourney at gigs. just sayin...

I still loved the gigs tourney though. The environment was so much better (well that, and i actually knew people at gigs, where at HK it was my first brawl tourney and i didnt know anyone) The gigs tourney is still the best of the 5 brawl tourneys ive been to so far.

i honestly think the pools are the reason it lasted so long. Granted, they had no choice not having a 128 man bracket, but still, people wanting to play out all their games really stalled some things.

Oh well, now that gigs is doing 4 seperate 32 man brackets with proabably 3/4 tvs to a bracket, it should run much smoother. And you guys gotta admit, while gigs > HK, HK didnt do bad at all for having less than half the TVs (i think they had 6-7 total tvs used for brawl all day on the right side of the room, and maybe the projector for losers bracket)

You guys shouldn't automatically put down my boy Raef just cause he isnt siding with gigs for all that they did. He may seem so critial, but thats because he's hosted tourneys before, and still does host tourneys, so he knows some of the pains and issues that goes along with it.

i still cant wait for this tourney. I think I have myself under control and i hired alittle angel to tell me when im playing game and watch too much so ill play my actual main, diddy.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm not really trying to be as harsh as I probably sound here...I'm being an advocate for Gigs because I think they try the hardest to please players of any tourney place ever...and I really, really appreciate it.

Hard Knocks kinda made me mad, so that's a sore spot.

I definitely respect your opinions, and you make some valid points, but I'm going to defend Gigs when I see it. You seemed a bit harsh, but I probably do, too...so oh well to that.

Anyways...no offense meant to you. hope you didn't take any.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Yea that's pretty sweet.

But pot split should still be 60 20 10.

Unless a door fee is charged.

Gigs would make more money that way too.

I thin MLG did this in 05.

The bracket thing.

Still.

Pay $20 for singles.

Edit: Or $15 a person($30 a team).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom