• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5/17 GIGABITS - May I have another Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
After a our successful Brawl Tournament with over 130 people in attendance it's time for a second Brawl. The Gigabits May I have another Brawl Tournament

So heres the run Down:

Tentative Date:

May 17th 2008

Format: Doubles, Singles

Time:

Doubles Starts: 11:00am

Singles Starts after Doubles but not earlier then 2pm

-Note For those that haven't been to a Gigabits Tournament before these are an all day affair if participating in Doubles and Singles you will probably be here from around 10am to around 9pm or later (depending on how many people show).

Gamer Fees:

Doubles: $10 admission per player ($20 per team)
Singles: $15 admission per player

Rules= Stock
Stock = 3
Handicap = Off
Damage Ratio = 1.0
Friendly Fire = On
Self-destruct = -1
Items = Off

Pools - If pools are held, pools will be 2 stock.

Both tournaments are Double Elimination as well as best two out of three with the semifinals and finals best 3 out of 5.

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium 1
Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

Banned:

Pipes (Yoshi's Island - Melee)
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Onett
Green Greens
Corneria
Green Hill Zone
Norfair
Jungle Japes
Pokemon Stadium 2
Bridge of Eldin
Big Blue
Mario Circuit
Shadow Moses Island
Port Town
Skyworld
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
New Pork City
Summit
75M
Mario Bros. Old
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
WarioWare
Spear Pillar

Prizes:

Doubles:

First Place team will receive 50% of doubles admission
Second Place team will receive 15% of doubles admission
Third Place team will receive 5% of doubles admission

Singles:

First Place will receive 50% of singles admission
Second Place will receive 15% of singles admission
Third Place will receive 5% of singles admission

Snacks and Food Available for Purchase at Gigabits (stock permitting)

- Pepsi Products (Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Teas, Juices, and more)
- Bawls
- Monster
- Redbull
- Headshot
- Dominos Personal Pan Pizzas (Gigabits sells 1 topping Dominos personal pan pizzas for 5 dollars including a can of soda).
- Chips (Lays Producets)
- Candy (Lots of different Candy Bars, Airheads, etc etc)
- Doughnuts, Honeybuns, Etc.

Also located just in our Plaza is:

Dominos Pizza
Silver Mine Subs
Anmol Indian Cuisine
Miss Saigon Vietnamese
Lazy Moon Pizza (30 inch pizzas, huge slices run like 3-4 dollars which is awesome)
Jeremiahs Italian Ice
Millie's Jamican Cafe
Great China Chinesse
Fusian Sushi and Japenesse
Broadway Pizza
McDonalds
Bangkok Square Thai and Sushi
El Cerro Mexican

all that just in our plaza and more in the area. Yes, you are allowed to bring outside food and drink into the store.

12243 University Blvd.
Orlando, FL, 32817

Across The Street from UCF in the plaza with McDonalds and the El Cerro Mexican Restaurant. The plaza is called University Shoppes.

Gigabits is in the middle of the plaza next to Miss Saigon Vietnamese and Anmol Indian Cuisine.

Directions:

Coming off 417 (toll road):

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida, University Blvd.

Go straight down university heading for UCF. Gigabits is in the plaza on the left side of the street at the intersection of University Blvd and Alafaya Trail. (Across the Street from UCF).

Coming off 408 (toll road)

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida - You stay on 408 till it literally turns into Challenger Parkway. Stay on Challenger Parkway until you reach the intersection of Challenger and Alafaya Tr.

Hang a right on Alafaya Tr.

Contiune on Alafaya Tr. until you reach the intersection of University and Alafaya. Turn left here and take the next right then again the next immediate right and you will be in Gigabits' Plaza.

See GIGABITS website at www.gigabitslan.com

*NOTE* Gigabits will provide some TVs and WII systems but we will need more so we can hold friendlies and make the tournament go smoothly.

Results Here

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
A few things:

We are probably going to do preregistration for this tournament. I need to work out on the details on that.

Second this tournament will be limited to 128 people for singles.

Zoro

Smash Champion
You guys are the greatest :)

Is it possible to have any more setups?
We arnt making this a 2 day tourney so we have to find ways to make it go faster
More tvs? start earlier?

we cant have this going till 4 am

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
You guys are the greatest :)

Is it possible to have any more setups?
We arnt making this a 2 day tourney so we have to find ways to make it go faster
More tvs? start earlier?

we cant have this going till 4 am
Well I'm not sure where we would put them.

As for making it go quicker - pools are two stock and doubles now starts earlier.

derf

Smash Ace
just dont have pools. i have no idea why you guys are so set on them. 128 man bracket will still finish in a timely fashion.

i never understood the need for pools anyways. pools is for multi-day, nation-wide tournaments like FC where your numeric placing actually matters (for bragging rights). for smaller tournaments, the only thing that "matters" is who wins money. and pools dont affect that
if youve got a 100 man tourney, and say 10 pools, then each pool has 10 people. each pool then plays 9+8+7+...+2+1 = 45 matches (handshaking lemma for you fellow math dorks). 45 matches/pool * 10 pools = 450 total matches before brackets even start.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I've talked to a few people who agree that 40/20/10 would be better than 50/15/5 for these early brawl tournaments.

I was hoping we could have another voting session in this thread.

(hopefully people will vote!) :)

:::VOTING TIME:::

For this tournament would you prefer a 40/20/10 pot split over a 50/15/5?

40/20/10 - +1
50/15/5 - 0

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
the two stock pools ( if there are pools) will do that much. 2 stock 5 minute time...that's ok for pools.

Also, if people pre-register, or you absolutely cut off registration at like 11, we'd be able to start on time, instead of everybody trying to register at noon. -.- that was lame. If people are running late for the 11 thing, they can call somebody to reg for them, right?

Also, you're going to hear it from the FIU crew about the date...but honestly, every saturday in May has a tournament on it...and since that tournament is so far south, and it's just Brawl, this one should be left on this date. : ) It shouldn't interfere with Manko's, which is in tampa...or Linguini's, which is south, but it's Melee

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
the two stock pools ( if there are pools) will do that much. 2 stock 5 minute time...that's ok for pools.

Also, if people pre-register, or you absolutely cut off registration at like 11, we'd be able to start on time, instead of everybody trying to register at noon. -.- that was lame. If people are running late for the 11 thing, they can call somebody to reg for them, right?

Also, you're going to hear it from the FIU crew about the date...but honestly, every saturday in May has a tournament on it...and since that tournament is so far south, and it's just Brawl, this one should be left on this date. : ) It shouldn't interfere with Manko's, which is in tampa...or Linguini's, which is south, but it's Melee
Yeah I saw the tournament down there, but based on the turnouts so far in Florida I think two on one day will be fine and like you said its way south and theirs a tournament every single Saturday in May.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
I'll be here as usual. Anyone want to team? (unless you want to team again Will)
I would like to team again with you so we can get used to each others play style, at the same time I kinda want to team with either Darrel, Kevin, or Kaniel for the next one. For Brawl I want to try and team with everyone I know at least once =)

we'll see what happens as it gets closer.

Finch

Smash Lord
Hmm. I have like 3 weeks to get way better at brawl and find a teammate...

gl self

edit: is cassanova on smashboards? I think MK + TL would be a badass team.

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
just dont have pools. i have no idea why you guys are so set on them. 128 man bracket will still finish in a timely fashion.
The reason for pools was not for more matches it was because of the logistical issues of holding an originally over 128 person tournament.

The biggest seeded bracket I have is 64 people.

I guess I could always use 4 separate 32 person brackets and have top people in each advance to a final bracket.

The only problem with that comes in that no one could hear me. I needed someone to manage each group of people.

Maybe we could have someone manage each bracket. Could work. I will have to think about this.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I know, Fred...it sucks, but they said their program won't do seeded brackets for a 128 man bracket or anything like that. I guess they could do unseeded, or they could use a different program, but it's definitely a headache, and I like their program... -.-

Are you actually thinking about coming to this?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
The reason for pools was not for more matches it was because of the logistical issues of holding an originally over 128 person tournament.

The biggest seeded bracket I have is 64 people.

I guess I could always use 4 separate 32 person brackets and have top people in each advance to a final bracket.

The only problem with that comes in that no one could hear me. I needed someone to manage each group of people.

Maybe we could have someone manage each bracket. Could work. I will have to think about this.
the main problem here is that people in losers then play the other people in their bracket, instead of going across the bracket as they should...so idk.

derf

Smash Ace
not particularly. i just have a math degree....and im nosy

idk i might stop by if im in orlando on one of the tournament dates. but i cant handle 100 man tourneys. i think id go crazy

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
the main problem here is that people in losers then play the other people in their bracket, instead of going across the bracket as they should...so idk.
Well the idea here is that its like a cross between pools and brackets.

What I would do is by seeding separate the top seeds into each bracket. Everyone that is unseeded will be randomly put into each bracket.

So essentially its like a 32 person bracketed pool instead of every one playing each other.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Darrel you need a teammate.
I don't want to slow you down.

Also as far as the exponential/linear thing. We're dealing with small numbers, so while the reduction of a stock isn't as effective as it could be, it should actually cut down time a good bit anyways.

Or better yet let's just have logpools

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
I would like to team again with you so we can get used to each others play style, at the same time I kinda want to team with either Darrel, Kevin, or Kaniel for the next one. For Brawl I want to try and team with everyone I know at least once =)

Sounds good.

derf

Smash Ace
Also as far as the exponential/linear thing. We're dealing with small numbers, so while the reduction of a stock isn't as effective as it could be, it should actually cut down time a good bit anyways.
if they're super set on pools they should just run 2-3 sets of 6 man, 2 stock pools. that could work. itd still take twice as long as melee pools

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Derf, Finch, Fenrir, Proteus, PureKorea and Exarch!!

Can you guys please vote for either a 40/20/10 pot split or a 50/15/5?

I personally would rather the 40/20/10 and I need to know if others would too.

Zoro

Smash Champion
Man im soooo bad at math

I have to take the cpt today for math since i didnt get a high enough score on my sats for math

I havnt taken a real math class in 2 years
My school is kinda ghetto our teachers let us copy so we just get in a big group and copy the answers and I use a ds on tests because our teacher lets us use it. So i go to the picto chat and we all give each other answers.. I never actually learned algebra.

Im paying for it now lol

*off topicness*

lol

Derf, Finch, Fenrir, Proteus, PureKorea and Exarch!!

Can you guys please vote for either a 40/20/10 pot split or a 50/15/5?

I personally would rather the 40/20/10 and I need to know if others would too.
uh i vote for....the first one

derf

Smash Ace
wow technology ****.

anyways rx ill pass on voting on the pot split...i would vote but i just cant see myself being a brawl regular at this point.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

Jacon is May 16-18th...JACON? WTF IS JACON!?!?! GIGS>>>>>>>>>>>JACON. Seriously though, Ill attend Jacon on Friday....but thats it. Saturday is just out of the question. I can even crash at my friends hotel room on Saturday if this runs late so i dont have to drive far away to get back home.

to the FIU group, your jewish holocaust oven III is so far south of orlando (3-4 hour drive) that it really shouldn't interfere too much with your attendance overall. If you do move your tourney Seibrik, dont make it may 31st.

This is the time where i will finally stick to my main most of the tourney, instead of continually playing gangsta watch. Im sure i will fare better with more Diddy action. You will slip, and you will get ***** (literally, aliens face **** style)

You can go ahead and sign me (GDX) and my boy Force up for this for both teams and singles right now. And you dont need pools for 128 people. Hard knocks did straight brackets for its 128 and that didn't run very long at all. For only having 5-6 TVs or so at hard knocks, i'd say that their tourney went quite well. And you guys will have double the TVs than they did, so no pools will be just fine for this if you are capping at 128 (I mean, if doing pools is your thing than you can go ahead, but I dont believe they'll be necessary). A shame cause you'd probably break your own record for attendance

Loto/Fear: Ill bring a much bigger and better TV than last time. It will be an actual TV, and not some little monitor. I dunno what i was thinking. Also, I may buy one of those open-sided coverings with the blue tops to put over our chairs for both shade and to block out some of the glare. They arent too expensive, and im sure walmart has them somewhere.

Fenrir: If it comes around, im looking forward to our ike/diddy rematch

Raef: This time you will **** penguins. im sure of it

Can't describe how amped i already am. Something about gigs made that tournament like crack, where other tournaments were cigarettes

oh, and im fine with the 40/20/10

Zoro

Smash Champion
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

Jacon is May 16-18th...JACON? WTF IS JACON!?!?! GIGS>>>>>>>>>>>JACON. Seriously though, Ill attend Jacon on Friday....but thats it. Saturday is just out of the question. I can even crash at my friends hotel room on Saturday if this runs late so i dont have to drive far away to get back home.

to the FIU group, your jewish holocaust oven III is so far south of orlando (3-4 hour drive) that it really shouldn't interfere too much with your attendance overall. If you do move your tourney Seibrik, dont make it may 31st.

This is the time where i will finally stick to my main most of the tourney, instead of continually playing gangsta watch. Im sure i will fare better with more Diddy action. You will slip, and you will get ***** (literally, aliens face **** style)

You can go ahead and sign me (GDX) and my boy Force up for this for both teams and singles right now. And you dont need pools for 128 people. Hard knocks did straight brackets for its 128 and that didn't run very long at all. For only having 5-6 TVs or so at hard knocks, i'd say that their tourney went quite well. And you guys will have double the TVs than they did, so no pools will be just fine for this if you are capping at 128 (I mean, if doing pools is your thing than you can go ahead, but I dont believe they'll be necessary). A shame cause you'd probably break your own record for attendance

Loto/Fear: Ill bring a much bigger and better TV than last time. It will be an actual TV, and not some little monitor. I dunno what i was thinking. Also, I may buy one of those open-sided coverings with the blue tops to put over our chairs for both shade and to block out some of the glare. They arent too expensive, and im sure walmart has them somewhere.

Fenrir: If it comes around, im looking forward to our ike/diddy rematch

Raef: This time you will **** penguins. im sure of it

Can't describe how amped i already am. Something about gigs made that tournament like crack, where other tournaments were cigarettes

oh, and im fine with the 40/20/10
Now you too know the powah of gigs

Shadowex3

Smash Apprentice
I think if we're going to cut anything back it needs to be stock AND time, otherwise you wind up either always going into sudden death or encouraging people to set up a tent because they've got so few lives.

As far as pools vs brackets goes I've always been a fan of pools mostly because your guaranteed at least that many matches before getting knocked out of the tournament.

[edit]

Also there needs to be a mandatory deodorant/bath rule in place. If people want to show up on 3hrs sleep that's their business but ffs at least take a bath and slap on some speedstick.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter

Over the summer, QDVS may not be able to go to certain tournaments because of how far away he lives. I would team with you if he couldn't come and we both needed teammates.

I'll vote for 40/20/10 Rx-. I like the more even split.

PS-We should smash this week.
Thursday or Friday is good.

Exams until then.

And thank you for voting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom