• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS Matchup Discussion

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Alright, for now I'll just copy and paste stuff from the Q&A thread that I posted a couple days ago:
I believe there is a chart regarding the dsmash chain that ZSS has on us. To prevent it from being a true 0-death, one needs to DI up on each hit.
Here's the thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4401279
Also not exactly the same but ZSS apparently has a CG on Sheik too but it can be escaped.
Check this thread out: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228857

If ZSS shields that is an advantageous position for Sheik. Sheik has a couple options that work on ZSS's shield, jab with various cancels, ftilt? (dunno if its good according to Frame data), and chain. Also if you happen to get an autocancel bair, nair or fair, you will have frame advantage. Mix in throws and you have a whole slew of ways to **** her if she shields. ZSS's fastest options is jab OoS which is 8 frames (almost as good as a typical grab), but remember that you can shield her 3rd jab hit pretty much every time, just make sure you DI down. ZSS is weird, but one should utilize the fact that ZSS has no reliable way to stop you from shielding. Her grab is too slow, and she only has frame traps which once you know will make the MU easier.
I would like to add she has different options OoS that may see more use. Namely the SH uair OoS which is 9 frames and a very good option. I would still say that ZSS in a shield is a bad position for her, but not as bad as say Olimar? Dunno, I really don't know ZSS at all. My one comment would be, some of her main spacing attacks have long start up but short cooldown. More specifically her sideb, d-smash, and her paralyzer shot. Which means when you are trying to break her spacing, you need to be aggressive when you choose to attack, because you are going to have to attack her during her startup or not at all, because you will be put in a frame trap aka a guessing game if you try to punish her post lag.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
SH uair is not a good option at all unless you are a ****** that enjoys staying above ZSS. Most ZSS will jab cancel and go for a down tilt or something else. I've even seen a few run away and pivot grab.

ZONING

ZSS really only has one good zone against Sheik which is the middle one and even then it's not like we don't have range with needles. Sheik can shield pressure the hell out of ZSS and unless you mangle your spacing you can do so with relative impunity. All of her grounded attacks are extremely deliberate or are fast but with low damage knockback/high cooldown. (utilt/dtilt are both decent, but not great). We can also camp her and force her to approach too w/needles. Hooray for people that are tall and floaty.

SHIELDING

Also, shield is a much better option than spotdodging in this MU because side b lasts long and you're unlikely to punish a dsmash out of spotdodge/shield because its cooldown is nonexistent (like MK's fsmash). That's not to say never spotdodge, but treat it like you would Lucario. Powersheilding ***** ZSS harder than most characters.

The two non dsmash things I worry about (please learn the range of that move):

1) At the beginning of the match. ZSS's glide toss is fantastic and allows her to move around the stage extremely quickly. The armor pieces have a ******** amount of hit stun and knockback, which is really bad since we are so light and our recovery sucks. I would recommend patience and to focus on getting rid of the items as quickly as possible or chucking them down on the ground. Don't throw them back at ZSS because they'll probably catch them since they have much more experience w/items.

2) Frame traps in the air. ZSS's up air can create quite a few problems for Sheik since it is hella strong and can frame trap when spaced well. It also has decent range all around ZSS. Bair/Fair are also ridiculously strong but their range is purely horizontal so they're more telegraphed. Diagonals are good places to be as long as you're outside of uair range.

RECOVERY

ZSS pretty much has to recover high or else we tether the ledge and she dies. She's going to rely on her second jump + up b, floatiness and down b kick/flip stool as ways to avoid punishment. As is most of the case, bair is probably your best edge guarding option since it hits diagonally and ZSS doesn't have too many options in that zone.

MISC

Di up on the down smash so you don't get 0-death. Bair is disjointed/strong but since ZSS jumps too high it takes a while for zss to space it right (maybe she can hit with it as she rises? I can't remember).

Oh, one more thing. Her foward roll is top tier; like Lucario/MK/Pit good. I'd look for it a little more often than normal if you find her in close quarters. Her air dodge is also on the MK/Wario/Pit tier, so keep that in mind too .

55-45 (Slight advantage) because while she ***** in air her options to get us in the air are pretty limited. I feel pretty confident in this MU just because I have played a couple of ZSS mains (nothing on the Snakeee/Nick Riddle level, but then again few are) and have never experienced problems.

+ Our mobility/shield pressure/range are awesome, we can edgeguard with relative ease.
- ZSS, although deliberate, is fairly strong and has ACTUAL combos (please don't get down smashed near the edge unless you love getting spiked)

-Cross-

Smash Ace
SH uair is not a good option at all unless you are a ****** that enjoys staying above ZSS. Most ZSS will jab cancel and go for a down tilt or something else. I've even seen a few run away and pivot grab.
9 frames out of shield seems like a pretty good option to me (2nd fastest option OoS after jab OoS). Unless Sheik is fully spaced, uair has enough horizontal reach to hit Sheik OoS. It is by no means a bad option

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I agree for the most part with what Ricosta is saying. Luckily for me, there are a few ZSS players in the area (Sovereign, Y.b.M., Solecalibur, and Lokii), but unfortunately I've only played two of them before (Sov and Sole) and only one while I've mained Sheik (the other was while maining Mario).

I'd like to emphasize what Rico mentioned here:

"ZSS really only has one good zone against Sheik which is the middle one and even then it's not like we don't have range with needles. Sheik can shield pressure the hell out of ZSS and unless you mangle your spacing you can do so with relative impunity. All of her grounded attacks are extremely deliberate or are fast but with low damage knockback/high cooldown. (utilt/dtilt are both decent, but not great). We can also camp her and force her to approach too w/needles. Hooray for people that are tall and floaty."

However, I personally believe that utilt is great while dtilt is good for ZS. They both poke particularly easily and set you up to eat at least one uair or something. (Upair hits in a mushroom top area above her and is big.) Think like this: "-D", but flipped up and you've got a rough estimate.

I'm still trying to figure out how to punish ZS's middle zone in more diverse ways than needles, however and while playing DK, I figured out that his ftilt interrupts her startup for side-b (which is what you'll usually die to) so I got to thinking that a spaced DA would also get through, but I need to test a bit more.

I would recommend attacking from close outside range in, because her jab beats ours. Point blank period. Her jabs are annoying and it's very rare that you'll see a competent one go into their third jab. They know it's bad. I think jab1->jab2->dtilt is what I've seen the most because they want you in the air. We beat them on the ground and she ***** us in the air until we're under her.

Tagging with uair is not a bad idea at all when you get her up there. I'd say mix up your throws. You may be more inclined to do stuff from Dthrow, but try to get some fthrow in and see how they react to it. Sometimes getting the throw and watching what they do will net you more damage in the long run than chasing immediately. I would suggest some GR stuff, but I don't remember the distance/trajectory she goes... but I might have fair/uaired her from it.

All in all, ZS is someone that wants you to just fall or jump into the ****... so to speak. Firewhip, dsmash and the like are going to be used to punish a dumb approach. I would think playing a bit more deliberately is your best option in this matchup unless you have the technical skill to be both fast and smart. Oh yeah, even if you know the grab is bad, look for it. A lot of SZ's run under you to pivot (or after a blaster/dsmash). Punish that **** super hard.

Going back on the thing with the item... you have no excuse not to learn how to handle these items. Go into training mode and toy around with a bouncable/recatchable item... or set P2 up as ZS and work on making those items comfortable for you. ZS hates people who can use items just as much as we hate ZS/Diddy that can do it. Remember, if you attack their shield --- what can they do? Jab? (uptilt does stop items from connecting, be wary!) Trust me, with our tools, if we get our hands on an item it will work just as well (or better) as it does for them.

Glidetoss->dsmash is stupid, but they can only throw in four directions. And to start your item game always throw the piece down first. Seriously. It bounces, it has a cool hitbox, is an anti-air and you can do **** afterwards. In fact, a lot of ZS's will juggle two to all of their pieces just like that to bait an approach. It's a stupid MU until you get it and then it gets really fun afterwards. Granted, I haven't played Y.b.M. or NR, so take this with a grain of salt. It's just my interpretation.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
The range and height on it is really not that good for it to be of major concern. If you have even decent spacing you really shouldn't be getting hit by this unless you bungled a fair or something. Not mention it takes even longer to cover the back.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
If you are talking to me, I've played ZSS before, and I have experience with playing against her with other characters, namely Marth. She may be floaty and her SH height is very high (One of the most annoying things about playing her), but uair is fast enough that it will still hit while she is rising from her SH. It will hit Sheik, unless Sheik is crouching. Just saying, if you are going to shield pressure, space well or else you will still get punished.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
It basically has enough reach to hit Sheik's head while standing fairly close to ZSS, but as I've said before your spacing shouldn't be that bad. Bair and retreating Fair/Nair easily get out of the range.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I've found that I'm not too great at this MU so sometimes I go to Zelda.

I wish NR lived a lot closer. Playing Snakeee helped but friendlies can only help so much.

Jab pressure around mid to high % is awesome for us.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I've found that I'm not too great at this MU so sometimes I go to Zelda.

I wish NR lived a lot closer. Playing Snakeee helped but friendlies can only help so much.

Jab pressure around mid to high % is awesome for us.
I can play serious friendlies if you ask, but I can't always get in the mindset to play my best it depends sometimes.....But if I need motivation to play 100% the following are extremely effective:

1) Ranting about how awesome Nick Riddle is
2) Mentioning how you haven't seen me around or place very high lately
3) Just flat out telling me I suck

There are definitely more triggers than that to bring out my real potential, which I honestly can't get into the mindset for at all lately :(.
Actually, if you see me playing a tourney set, try and yell those things out as loud as possible if you don't mind :D

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
best advice ever guys.

Fair-> crawl isn't grabable or jabable for zero suit. It is literally one of the game changers in the matchup because zero suit is a mid range character and if you penetrate and **** her shield into a crawl you are virtually untouchable. Now go and prosper in this matchup my young ones, girl on girl action in tight suits is quite appealing to me o.O :D

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
<3 ya Snakeee, I'll keep those things in mind.

As far as the discussion goes, you of all people can help here since you used to second Sheik. Care to share anything?

Also, we certainly have to play again. You were so chill at Apex man.

solecalibur

Smash Master
This MU is stupid, I dont think I've ever lost to any in a sets in tounry but their always close since your kill options seem limited and they seem obvious but w/e, if we start short hop forward bing for pressure your needles can stop it , seriously like practice that it will save you a lot of time, uhhh idk haven't played many recently

-Mars-

Smash Hero
best advice ever guys.

Fair-> crawl isn't grabable or jabable for zero suit. It is literally one of the game changers in the matchup because zero suit is a mid range character and if you penetrate and **** her shield into a crawl you are virtually untouchable. Now go and prosper in this matchup my young ones, girl on girl action in tight suits is quite appealing to me o.O :D

Wow man good ****.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
can she low ftilt or utilt it?

choosing crawl still allows her to roll away but

still a good choice :)

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
She can still dtilt or ftilt you, probably DA as well, all of which are faster OOS than a grab, I duno why grab was brought up as a legit option in this matchup. Can we crouch needles?

FIERCE

Smash Journeyman
^ LOL, nope. >_____<

I find that getting on the stage from the edge is the hardest thing to do for me in this match up. The needles are my real downfall though. ;[

-Mars-

Smash Hero
yes but sheiks jab is faster than zss' dtilt so she could potentially fair>crouch>jab and be safe on your shield? dunno i'll have to test.

Also, I thought ZSS ledge options were really good?

Edit: Nefarious B were you the other ZSS at R3 besides kokaloo? played him but didnt get a chance ta play you.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I kind of play the MU with him a bit already, Clowsui, lol and come mental mistakes away from wins every time. Have at him, sir.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I play this matchup occasionally, but I play both sheik/ZSS alot.

Its kind of a weird match, I honestly think its kinda even with maybe a slight advantage for ZSS.

Sheik can punish ZSS's approaches and jump its very well, with high consistancy, and if you get ZSS under pressure she cannot shield throw, so you get to take a few more risks be very scared of her u-tilt(3 frames), and d-tilt(4 frames) however, both lead into combos or nasty setups depending upon damage.

I wouldn't try to jump in big time on ZSS too much her u-smash is going to catch you if you get too predictable and you gotta be careful of d-smash, its hit about as high as ZSS head. D-tilt you will see used as well because we can crouch under your air and d-tilt your landing. Use needles to punish over B whiffs and what not, when you are not in dacus range. You should go for gimps when ZSS is off the edge its a scary thing because of your needles, normally though we can recover anyways, but you might as well, you really need to gimp us once because of how long it takes for shiek to kill, and the fact that ZSS can **** out damage/knockback if she lands certain moves.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i jump on zss all the time. good thing i am not predictable ♥

but seriously, much like against olimar, jumpins are mad good cuz zss doesnt have an option that covers diagonal space. if i can maintain that zone and retreat when i cant, i usually ****. i treat this matchup like fighting olimar, except zss is less campy, better recovery, better close range (aka funner <3)

Judo777

Smash Master
i jump on zss all the time. good thing i am not predictable ♥

but seriously, much like against olimar, jumpins are mad good cuz zss doesnt have an option that covers diagonal space. if i can maintain that zone and retreat when i cant, i usually ****. i treat this matchup like fighting olimar, except zss is less campy, better recovery, better close range (aka funner <3)
wait but how do you know get uaired? Zss uairs covers diagonals incredibly

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
oh yeah, it does

well generally i do jumpins when the zss is in the habit of using side b's and lasers. i needle camp a lot so i make them do that. her uair is kind of a big commitment cuz her short hop and full hop go so high, and shiek underneath is gonna ****. if i am spacing my shorthops i can either get a good approach or avoid the uair entirely. thanks for reminding me of that option though

Judo777

Smash Master
oh yeah, it does

well generally i do jumpins when the zss is in the habit of using side b's and lasers. i needle camp a lot so i make them do that. her uair is kind of a big commitment cuz her short hop and full hop go so high, and shiek underneath is gonna ****. if i am spacing my shorthops i can either get a good approach or avoid the uair entirely. thanks for reminding me of that option though
oh i see ok i was just wondering.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm, now that i think about it, i have been baited into jumping by a laser/side-b, and then i got uaired when i jumped in

i think another good approach to mix in (if you are at a certain range) is walkup jabs/ftilts. lol. i forgot that her shield grab is bad, she does have a jab and utilt out of shield but those do lame damage, i just gotta watch out if i do happen to hit her shield.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
It may be best to stay grounded in this MU the more I think about it.

We are effective against her in 2 different ranges and when we take to the air we can get hurt. No need to get hurt right?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
fair and bair should out range uair which make them really good jump in options.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
ZSS Uair is dumb, and trading aerials with her is a bad idea. As long as we avoid Dsmash and mistakes, we should stay grounded and basically turtle her to death.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
what? no way zss uair should stuff those all day.
really?... I'll test it I guess. but I can't see uair out rangeing those.

by that I mean you can jump in range for both moves without fear of being hit by uair. As chok mention jumping is risky so throwing those are sheilds isn't going to be a huge risk for you.

Judo777

Smash Master
really?... I'll test it I guess. but I can't see uair out rangeing those.

by that I mean you can jump in range for both moves without fear of being hit by uair. As chok mention jumping is risky so throwing those are sheilds isn't going to be a huge risk for you.
I dont think it can i could be wrong but zss uair is freaking insane. easily 2nd best uair. Its hitbox is HUGE and disjointed

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Yea, it easily stuffs us and there is no benefit from trading with it. Easy to say that the air is bad for us.

Shield dashing at ZSS is probably our best approach tool since her Shield grab is bad. Can we duck under her grab? I think we can since G&W can.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
ZSS's grab also has a blindspot

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv286/EPsilon933/Lucario_Utilt.gif

No, not just sideB, grab as well lol. Esam can attest to getting in it a bit playing his brother.

and yes, uair hitbox is freakishly huge.

Also, what's the best way to deal with being on the ledge against a ZSS that's onstage? I get freaked out about that dsmash and uair, I time my getup to avoid dsmash, but she can always do some nasty unfun mixups :(

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i think i would ledge drop and chain to see what kind of options she uses

at least if ur hanging from the chain, she cant hit u with dsmash. just retract if she tries to go down and do something stupid. it would probably help to maybe ledge drop, jump away, so that ur chain is longer so she cant do anything stupid lol.

as far as the options to use to get back up... im not sure lol. it seems like just a big mindgame, with certain options of both characters winning against others. hmmmmmm

what can zss do when sheik's hanging from a chain?

space for side b... scare with dsmash threat... if we ledge jump she can usmash or uair. our ledge jump air dodge is probably pretty decent if she doesnt see it coming, and u shield or jab immediately if zss is in range... uhhh idk

:D

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I know this is a little old, but I played dMT in a few friendlies at Poly and wanted to share what I learned.

I feel that overall, Sheik wins because her landing game is so easily exploited by Sheik (sheik juggles hard). I won most of the friendlies though, because I'd think I was losing and look down and see I was still in the lead. Sheik's damage racking ability isn't great, and her ability to kill is obviously not great either.

I dunno, 6/4 Sheik IMO.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I know this is a little old, but I played dMT in a few friendlies at Poly and wanted to share what I learned.

I feel that overall, Sheik wins because her landing game is so easily exploited by Sheik (sheik juggles hard). I won most of the friendlies though, because I'd think I was losing and look down and see I was still in the lead. Sheik's damage racking ability isn't great, and her ability to kill is obviously not great either.

I dunno, 6/4 Sheik IMO.
Wait what? Your post really didn't make any sense.

I think the matchup is even. ZSS can't just throw out her usual spacing options due to needles and Sheik being extremely good at punishing things, Sheik also can exploit ZSS when she's beneath her and wins the close range game. On the other hand, ZSS can kill Sheik earlier and Sheiks recovery stuggles against ZSS. ZSS also ***** Sheik in the air.

Even IMO.

Top Bottom