• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Matchup Thread // OUTDATED

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I was just trying to point out that 50:50 seems to be what people are gravitating towards as their most likely answer, since I would like this to end soon since its clearly going nowhere.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
To Kown...

the learning curves are different. This is why it changes.
Firstly, this is irrelevant ^^ In a matchup we're looking at how these characters are played when their learning curves are completely fulfilled, looking at anything in between and up to this point is not necessary in a matchup discussion. Metaknight can be said to have an easy learning curve and beats out the entire cast, including those with incredibly steep learning curves (I've said this if you're implying Pit is more 'technically' steep than Zelda and so beats her in the matchup, because this is not the case).

Secondly, this is a character vs character matchup. We're not taking stages into discussion. If Yoshi's Island is good or bad for either character, that's the pinnacle of a counterpicked stage right there.

I don't main Pit and yes, you're right, I don't know his advantagous and disadvantagous stages that well. If I pick Yoshi's island thinking it's neutral between the two when in reality it could be bad for Pit, I have counterpicked against him unknowingly =)

On a neutral stage, where neither has advantages and vice versa, the matchup is neutral, as has been agreed on by Pit mains, by Zelda mains and disagreed on by Maniac and the odd poster in between. Just read the passed few pages and you'll get the jist of it.

I'll fix this for you now Kown:

noob pits = noob zeldas
okay pits = okay zeldas
above average zelda = above average pit
excellent pit = excellent zelda

I'm sticking to my guns with this one:
- 50 : 50 when neutral
- ?? : ?? with counterpicks

Coffee™

I need it....
Just pointing out if you read the posts of the Pit mains you will see that the majority of their posts actually don't say that the matchup is neutral.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I know that the the pits who say it's NOT neutral tend to fit into one of two cataegorites:

A) They just pop in and give their two cents and pop out

B) they are maniaclyricist and post things that everyone else disagrees with be it zelda mains or other pit mains. It's one thing to be stubborn, it's another to be truthy.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
You guys should end this and do Sonic or Diddy or DK next so Riot can do research this weekend when I head out to his place.

I like feeling like I'm being helpful, after all. And I feel I owe you guys since I lurk the Zelda/Shiek boards cause those two are insanely fun to play.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
We should probably just put it at even until the Pit boards discuss the Zelda matchup(unless they have already?).

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I always dread playing against Pit, no matter who I'm using. That's not to say they do well against me or my mains; even if the match is going fairly evenly, I've never had less fun playing Brawl than when I was playing against a Pit.

That said, I think the matchup is pretty even in this case. Looking at the different types of spacing that occur in any match, I would propose the following:

Long range (across FD) - Pit's arrow spamming gives him the edge here, Zelda may be able to NL a couple but eventually she will have to get closer.

Medium range (half-2/3s of FD) - Since this type of spacing is never stable - both players are either closing in or getting away - it's not as important as the others, but when it does exist it's pretty even, maybe - a very tentative maybe - Zelda has a slight advantage. SH Din's glides are OK if distance needs to close, but Zelda can harrass with Din's aimed at the ground well enough to force an approach and start her excellent defensive ground game. On the other hand, Pit can close distance faster than Zelda, so if he has the match momentum behind him he can get in closer than Zelda would like and start building damage.

Short range (1-2 character lengths apart) - Zelda shines here the most, where Pit is within her range but she isn't within his, and Pit's approach options all fail to a smart application of Zelda's top-notch defensive abilities. Pit will either continue to attempt to get inside Zelda's fortress or increase distance and try to force Zelda into a position where she has to approach. Since Pit camps better than Zelda, this will be his best option, so Zelda must maintain this spacing as much as she can, for she will win if she does. Also, sliding Usmash and at higher %s Dtilt put Pit above Zelda, which sets up for all of her aerial killers. so Zelda has all her options at her disposal at this range.

Close range (less than 1 character length apart) If Pit is here, Zelda's defense has failed. Very uncomfortable for Zelda, easily her worst spacing set. Pit's smashes are faster here, he can build damage and annoy at the same time with side-b, and Zelda will not like the end result. Fortunately, because of its nature this spacing set is not very stable either, as Zelda will either get hit away and therefore reset the spacing (often to Long range which still isn't good, but at least that Pit is out of my face T_T) or Zelda will manange to get a Dsmash/NL(if she knows where here invincibility frames are) in edgewise and reset the spacing to Short range, so it comes down to who it's more easy to do this for, which is obviously Pit.

Now for Y-axis spacing:

One above the other: Good for the character on the bottom, for obvious reasons.

Both on the ground: See above.

Both in the air: Pit has a slight advantage here, it actually depends on who has the match momentum but Pit's options hurt just a little bit more. Zelda can kill, yes, but Bair/Fair require good precision and Uair is used when Zelda is below Pit (see above). Therefore she needs to be on the offensive to use them properly, and for that she needs momentum gained from the Short range play. On the other hand, Pit's aerial killers place him next to Zelda, making it much easier for him to kill, so he gets the nod here.

Onstage/Offstage aka gimping situations: Pit again has the advantage here, superior aerial mobility, recovery, and aerial killers that are easier to land means that Zelda will have a harder time recovering than Pit. This advantage matters more to Pit than Zelda: Pit's kills happen here more often than not, while Zelda has no problem killing from the stage.

Overall: Zelda's ground game is superb at the right range, but to utilize it she's got to get Pit there, which is hard considering Pit outcamps her. Camping can't last the whole game unless one character is named Snake, however, so Pit will need to come in closer to kill, which means passing through Zelda's defenses, a difficult task at high levels of play. In the end, the better player and/or the proper counterpick will decide this one. 50/50.

Coffee™

I need it....
B) they are maniaclyricist and post things that everyone else disagrees with be it zelda mains or other pit mains. It's one thing to be stubborn, it's another to be truthy.
Yep, clearly everyone that mains Pit totally disagreed with me. There is a difference to disagreeing and being ignorant to responses in favor of your own subjectivity or stating anything as long as it supports your argument wheter false or truth like certain "Sonic The Hedgedawgs" here :laugh: ....

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
Even, no more meaningless posts
Updating
And next time i hope there won't be biased responses D=
I know i know, I am also kind of biased but let's just wait to see what will the next match-up will bring ;3

Edit : Grammar >_>

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'm just ticked because the stuff he was posting was WRONG. not just fabouritism, but WRONG and no one else was agreeing with him (for obvious reasons). He wrote long responses to be sure, but they completely ignored all ratoinal argument. maybe once in a while there was a good poitn, but how much credence can you throw to someone who is just flat out lying to make pit look better. (what zelda in her right MIND would CP jungle **** against pit. that's like begging to die.)
Every post he made showed very little understanding of Zelda's game and a gross overestimation of pits abilities (pit can use BF better than Zelda and Luigi's mansion just as well my foot.) You could argue I show the same fovouritism to zelda I suppose, but that wouldn't be true because at least I had the other zelda mains behind me. he didn't even have the pit mains agreeing with him on those points. It was just more of the same wrong-wrong-wrong argument for the sake of argument and I was frankly tiring of it because it really didn't further the matchup status any because, well, it was just wrong. not many decisions can be made on faulty information.
And I know what he'll do after reading this. Get defensive then go into denial, then point fingers. and I don't really care when you're wrong you're wrong no matter how many times and ways you try to deny it :chuckle:

on a side note, it's disappointing that was the main focus of the pit matchup discussion. I would have appreciated more Admiral Bowser types in here who clearly had a better understanding of the matchup to weigh in :ohwell:

anyhow. *waits for next matchup*

I hope it's Pikachu :3

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I here by claim this matchup EVEN 50-50.
The matchup percentage will change depending on the counterpick stage, that of which Luigi's Mansion is Zelda's best CP and Norfair is Pit's best CP.
And most neutral stages are even, cept for Pit's Disadvantages at Yoshi's Island (unable to glide under, and shy guys block arrows) and a few disadvantages for Zelda at Lylat Cruise (The Tilting stage to screw up recovering)

Sagemoon, best Pit on the WC, MIGHT give his opinion on this matchup another day.
So that' enough angels. Return back to skyworld and let the Zeldas continue back on their matchup discussion for another character.
I hope the next discussion is against the yellow rat :)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
eh. didy is all about momentum. as long as you don't let him build a banana fortress he's no problem. He has trouble starting his banana game against zelda due to her awesome glide tossing abilities and nayru's love. and he's excedigly easy to gimp after you connect with a downsmash. conversly, once he starts juggling zelda and putting bananas where he wants them, he's REALLY hard to stop :ohwell:

we win in priority and range here, but if he's smart he can get around our smashes fairly easily if he predicts them because he's very mobile. on the flipside, if we predict his approaches well, we can smack (or sparkle actually :laugh:) him out of any rout he might take with our superior priority/range. and diddy will approach to a certain point... that's just what diddys do. I suppose we probably have the advantage on any stage where his banana games don't work because it's harder for him to hold onto his momentum once he gets it, but we probably have a slight disadvantage on stages where he can just because it's easier for him to keep momentum than it is for us.

his banana games work very well on mansion, so I'd CP battlefield honestly. as for my opinion of the numbers for this matchup. iunno. I haven't played enough GOOD diddys. when I do play I normally win, but I attribute that to me being better more than I do Zelda being better. so.... meh. whatever it is, it's not more than 60:40 either direction.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
This is probably one of my hardest matchups personally - I strive to beat diddy in all ways possible because I got absolutely owned by one in a couple of sets, which ended 3-0 everytime. I just had no clue what to do, so I developed this drive to practise hard against him. Looking at it now, I'd say it's in Zelda's favour, but only just... 55:45, but still never 100% sure.

I've come to the conclusion that once the bananas are out and in his possession... the matchup immediately swings in his favour. Nayru's is handy, but laggy. A good diddy will bait this. However, Nayru's lasts a very long time and may catch diddy out. The moment a banana is reflected on the floor and is thus in Zelda's 'possesion', diddy will get into a panic and attempt to claim the banana immediately. He needs them to build the momentum in winning. I recommend Zelda dash grabbing bananas, because it outprioritises his own dash grab.

Once Zelda has a banana, she's like an explosion. She can attack diddy so well with glide toss to smash approaches, and they definitely hurt him. She'll kill him quite early as well as she'll be using FSmash a lot more whilst possibly saving USmash for the kill. Once in her range she dominates him - his attacks are easy to spotdodge and she can nayru's any bananas he throws out to claim as her own.

But diddy has some mean comebacks... his side b goes through Nayru's and hits her if she isn't invincible. His aerials are very good, and with fast aerial movement he can spike Zelda easily if he catches her during FW animation. He's much better at gimping her than she is gimping him.

Zelda's upsmash is key in stopping his aerial approaches, but normally he wouldn't be relying on them, he'd be focussing on bananas instead.

Overall I'd say:

- Bananas dictate the match. It's 55:45 either way. The match swings either way based on how good Zelda is at acquiring those bananas and reflecting them with Nayru's, or how good Diddy is at stopping her from getting them whilst putting out the offense at the same time.

Coffee™

I need it....
I'm just ticked because the stuff he was posting was WRONG. not just fabouritism, but WRONG and no one else was agreeing with him (for obvious reasons). He wrote long responses to be sure, but they completely ignored all ratoinal argument. maybe once in a while there was a good poitn, but how mtoinal argument. maybe once in a while there was a good poitn, but how much credence can you throw to someone who is just flat out lying to make pit look better. (what zelda in her right MIND would CP jungle **** against pit. that's like begging to die.)
Every post he made showed very little understanding of Zelda's game and a gross overestimation of pits abilities (pit can use BF better than Zelda and Luigi's mansion just as well my foot.) You could argue I show the same fovouritism to zelda I suppose, but that wouldn't be true because at least I had the other zelda mains behind me. he didn't even have the pit mains agreeing with him on those points. It was just more of the same wrong-wrong-wrong argument for the sake of argument and I was frankly tiring of it because it really didn't further the matchup status any because, well, it was just wrong. not many decisions can be made on faulty information.
And I know what he'll do after reading this. Get defensive then go into denial, then point fingers. and I don't really care when you're wrong you're wrong no matter how many times and ways you try to deny it :chuckle:

on a side note, it's disappointing that was the main focus of the pit matchup discussion. uch credence can you throw to someone who is just flat out lying to make pit look better. (what zelda in her right MIND would CP jungle **** against pit. that's like begging to die.)
Favourism and Idiodicy much?

I would have appreciated more Admiral Bowser types in here who clearly had a better understanding of the matchup to weigh in :ohwell:
Thats only obvious because he AGREED with you.

(Sonic The Hedgedawg. Worst poster on Zelda boards) and with that i'm out, have fun with the rest of your matchups.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
You posted that and you won't stick around for his reaction? Was there any point in posting that at all then...?

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Maybe we should invite some diddy mains to the boards and get them to discuss it with us?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Take it to PMs, No Off-topics
Pms are really stupid, if your going to argue about a matchup, why not enable everyone the option of viewing the argument? If you don't want to read it..........scroll down. That's the beauty of the internet right there, you only have to look at what you choose to look at.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hey, since you guys are discussing Diddy, I decided that this week we would dicuss Zelda in the Diddy forums too.

I'm at work right now, so I'll add my two cents later.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Hey, since you guys are discussing Diddy, I decided that this week we would dicuss Zelda in the Diddy forums too.

I'm at work right now, so I'll add my two cents later.
Beautiful, hopefully we can both cooperate and agree upon a final matchup ratio. NinjaLink plays both characters, so maybe we could get his input on the matchup as well.

Count

Smash Champion
Diddy may be annoying for you guys, and I can't speak for all Diddy mains, but I have a rough time with Zelda. Her high priority and range make approaching for Diddy quite difficult. Her relflector can do a good job of stopping our nana game, causing us to have to find alt ways of approaching. I can't speak for all Diddy players-but at least one Diddy main fears zelda as much as you guys fear Diddy.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
How come everyone talks about reflecting banana's when catching them is wicked easy? Just run at the crap-face and dash attacks once he throws and you've caught a banana and positioned yourself closer to him. Then you can glide toss up-smash or any other option and he is now in a horrible position. Glide toss to grab is one of my favorites because no one expects it...

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
GodAtHand it's easier said than done. A good diddy won't mindlessly go into auto-pilot mode and start glide tossing at you, he'll bait attacks and invoke reactions from you until you do something laggy - that's when he starts the offense.

But apart from that, dash attacks and SH aerials or airdodges make it easier to catch bananas...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Nayru's love and grabbing are both very effective tools for getting bananas. but each have their own situation and each is very helpful if applied right. Like I said. learn to read diddy before he learns to read you and react accordingly. he has a way around about every thing we do, but we have a way to stop just about everyting he can do as well.

and because people don't really care about this, but I'd like to disspell any rumors that you should actually listen to Maniaclyrisit about the matchup/
Favourism and Idiodicy much?
yes from you. honestly anybody that read what I posted vrs. what you posted could clearly see that. telling zelda she's better off on jungle japes than luigi's mansion. telling us pits upsmash is as good as zeldas, that pit KOs zelda as easily as she does him, that battlefield is a large advantage for pit. it was obvious that you are just saying what you want to say with absolutely nothing and nobody backing you. face defeat and GTFO.

Thats only obvious because he AGREED with you.
No it's because, unlike you, he gave actual reasons that are true for why things are the way they are. you just say "pit can do this, this and this..." and then half the time that's not true and 75% of the time you ignored what zelda CAN do. your posts ranged from jaded to absolutely worthless and I don't think there will be much dissent with that opinion. Honestly getting in an argument with a ZELDA MAIN about how to use zelda's usmash in the course of normal battles. It's like you have absolutely no uncerstanding of the character... and apparently very little understanding of your own if you think you can do all the things you claim you can

(Sonic The Hedgedawg. Worst poster on Zelda boards) and with that i'm out, have fun with the rest of your matchups.
and he leaves as he came, with unsupported claims. Clearly the worst poster on our boards right now is Maniaclyrisist, but that's just my opinion. Maybe if we're lucky he'll go back to the pit boards where his worshiping the ground pit walks on will be more tolerated.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
^Talk about an Overkill...

Anyway, moving on. As already stated, the momentum is everything in this battle. The one that gets it to his/her side will win.

I think it's worth mentioning that Diddy's aerials can be fast and deadly, so they need to be watched out for. If Zelda is in ground she'll have no problems with them at all, but if she's airborne, Diddy's pressure game can cause lots of trouble to her.

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
Just to clear up one thing, not trying to invoke more arguing, but Battlefield is a great stage for Pit. It's advantageous for Pit if his opponent is above him, which is what Battlefield is built for. And the platforms do nothing to hinder arrows, in fact, they help because most people believe that arrows are useless because of platforms where really I can just loop my arrows around and hit you anywhere on this map, even through platforms (Arrows go through them when they are aimed upwards). Well, that was my bit, sorry to distract form the Diddy talk.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm going to sticky this.

Enjoy.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I'm having Ace who plays Diddy over on Saturday night with maybe a few other smash players. Maybe he will tell what he thinks of the matchup when we are done.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
And for the record, on that catching topic, two things.

1) I swear to freaking goc! Riot/GodAtHand catches bananas by accident half the time.

2) He teams with me(And my Diddy) so catching bananas is alot more second nature to him.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
BF probably isn't the best counterpick against Diddy.

His best stages are all the neutrals. It's kind of a misconception that FD is his best stage by a lot... while it is his best stage, BF is also an excellent stage for him.

CP a non-neutral. I'm not really sure what Zelda's good stages are, so I can't really give a solid suggestion.

I'm not really an expert on the matchup, so I don't really have any input, except that a reflector only gets you so far. Yeah it gives you a tool a lot of other characters don't have, but if the Diddy is fairly close, he'll glide toss -> dash attack, which will pick up the banana AND connect with you if you tried reflecting. So just be careful about your reflection use.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
BF probably isn't the best counterpick against Diddy.

His best stages are all the neutrals. It's kind of a misconception that FD is his best stage by a lot... while it is his best stage, BF is also an excellent stage for him.

CP a non-neutral. I'm not really sure what Zelda's good stages are, so I can't really give a solid suggestion.

I'm not really an expert on the matchup, so I don't really have any input, except that a reflector only gets you so far. Yeah it gives you a tool a lot of other characters don't have, but if the Diddy is fairly close, he'll glide toss -> dash attack, which will pick up the banana AND connect with you if you tried reflecting. So just be careful about your reflection use.
actually that's wrong. Nayru's love has hitboxes, so it counters all glide tosses that go into her. the banana will get reflected into diddy if he tosses forwards and diddy will eat crystals it he tosses down instead.

mansion does nothing to hinder diddy's game really so honestly zelda does a lot better on BF than she will on mansion. Green Greens isn't an awful stage either, but I would normally choose battlefield as I think most tourneys ban green greens (eff you DDD)

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Battlefield is so good for Zelda though, That stage can't be any more in Diddy's Favor than 50:50. The platforms can screw up his banana barrage and allow you to retake the momentum. And then there is all the fun stuff Zelda can do with platforms...

Top Bottom