• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Matchup Thread // OUTDATED

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Okay I lied, its sleep time for me. and as swast said love jump is too situational to be considered consitently (though will definately save you when used) only real time I can see it be used is after fsmash or dsmash and wont really prevent pit from gimping you.

so i will reply tomorrow hopefully with more theory.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Pit does not not hate platforms at all. You'd make Pits very happy if you counterpicked Battlefield as it is one of his best stages. Luigi's mansion isn't all that good of a counterpick either as even though it prevents Pit from fully abusing his recovery it doesn't do much else for you. Pit can pin you against the pillars with his multihit moves and can easily refresh his smash attacks against them. The mansion itself also stops one of the main advantages Zelda has over Pit and that is killing him at a lower percentage than he kills you.

You'll be dying way earlier than we ever will. Sure it may be a good Pit stage.......but not against Zelda.

By this time Pit would have already recovered from using Angel Ring. The only way you're going to hit Pit with a Dins Fire after an Angel Ring is if he extends the Angel Ring, which isn't very likely.

This is true.

Keep in mind Pit can fly under most stages if he is forced to recover from a low angle and even if he can't fly under the stage then 3 jumps accompanied by air dodges surely means he won't be an easy target to hit.

Nair and Naryus **** airdodges and Naryus will send you out even further....wasting your jumps. Dins also has a large hitbox so if your forced to use WoI and you recover high, it's not inconceivable for Dins to hit.

As far as edgeguarding Zelda is concerned its really not too hard for a Pit to do. Love Jumps can be interrupted by Arrows as can FW at its startup. There is also the issue of Wing Refreshing that allows Pit to come after you using the aerial mobility of his up B and after attacking retain all of his midair jumps with which he can proceed to WOP you as well as another up B with which he can use to pressure you with or return to the stage. Put all that together with the fact that Zelda generally has poor aerial mobility then you can see its not to hard for Pit to take you out offstage.

I'm pretty sure fair outranges Pits' bair and fair, i'll just lightning kick you to the face. Zelda isn't just helpless while she's out there as Farore's has great overall distance so attacking on the way back isn't out of the question.

Her horizontal aerial mobility is actually decent. I could drop down and uair you as i'm recovering. Uair has a surprisingly big hitbox, it's disjointed, and it has a load of priority. I've hit numerous Pits trying to gimp me with my uair. Sitting on the stage shooting arrows might actually be a better option for you in some cases......unless i'm recovering from way out on FD and I can't risk a laggy attack on the way back.

Zelda trying to gimp Pit almost laughable to some extent. All she has against a recovering Pit is Dins Fire and although that has a fairly large hitbox it is entirely possible to avoid it through Gliding, Air dodging and using WOI to recover high in a Snake like fashion. Also keep in mind that a recovering Pit can fire Arrows at an opposing Zelda to stop Dins Fire spamming.

Correction, I have Naryus, nair, and uair.

I'll correct you here

Ground game = Pit's (Correct me if i'm wrong here but honestly all I see Zelda having over Pit here is the range of her Forward smash and the angle that her Dsmash sends you flying, aside from that I don't see what problems Pit has with her Ground game.)
Air game = Pits
Killing % = Zelda's
Camping = Pit's
Gimping = Pit's

Her ftilt has a ton of range(almost as much as fsmash), so we have two moves that completely outrange you on the ground.

Dsmash is faster than anything you have on the ground(frame 4) besides your utilt and Pits' utilt lacks range to say the least.

Dtilt,usmash,Naryus, and dsmash all come out very quick.

We have bair OoS.........that beats any of your OoS options. One powershield and you'll eat a frame 5 lightning kick to the face.

How on earth is Pits' ground game better?

This matchup is definitely in Pit's favor most likely a 60:40. Personally I've never found it too hard.
Responses in bold

Coffee™

I need it....
You'll be dying way earlier than we ever will. Sure it may be a good Pit stage.......but not against Zelda.
It is not just a good Pit stage, it is arguably Pits best neutral stage. Despite what you may think Arrows are just as effective here as they would be on other stages, the ledges only prevent things like Arrow Looping from being as effective. The ledges also set up well for Pit's Uairs and Nairs and also allow him to space Fairs without being punished.

Nair and Naryus **** airdodges and Naryus will send you out even further....wasting your jumps. Dins also has a large hitbox so if your forced to use WoI and you recover high, it's not inconceivable for Dins to hit.
Zelda's Nair doesn't have much knockback so unless Pits at higher percentages(most likely when you would have been better off landing a tilt or smash attack) it won't really be that troublesome. Nayru's I can see happening from time to time but all in all it is just a guessing game as a recovering Pit can as easily Fair you while returning to the stage if you expect an air dodge. Din's Fire is good and the best option of you have at gimping Pit, all i'm going to say is don't underestimate the manuveurability of WOI.

I'm pretty sure fair outranges Pits' bair and fair, i'll just lightning kick you to the face. Zelda isn't just helpless while she's out there as Farore's has great overall distance so attacking on the way back isn't out of the question.
Zelda's Fair doesn't outrange Pit's Fair and if Pit is doing a WOP on you and you somehow managed to land a slower (unlikely to sweet spot) Fair on Pit all you will be doing is sending him back towards the stage where he can simply edgehog you for a KO. Keep in mind Pit doesn't even have to Fair you to WOP you as he can do it offstage with multiple Arrows.

Her horizontal aerial mobility is actually decent. I could drop down and uair you as i'm recovering. Uair has a surprisingly big hitbox, it's disjointed, and it has a load of priority. I've hit numerous Pits trying to gimp me with my uair. Sitting on the stage shooting arrows might actually be a better option for you in some cases......unless i'm recovering from way out on FD and I can't risk a laggy attack on the way back.
This is pretty situational and as you said Pit has the option of simply staying on the stage and gimping you with Arrows whilst waiting for an opportunity that he can jump off the stage after you. Brawl is a game of options and Pit just has a too much at his disposal when Zelda is offstage.

Correction, I have Naryus, nair, and uair.
Which aren't all that helpful as I explained above.

Her ftilt has a ton of range(almost as much as fsmash), so we have two moves that completely outrange you on the ground.
Just so you know, Pit's Ftilt and possibly his Fair have greater range than any of your moves. Zelda's Fsmash included. Her Fsmash outranges all of Pit's other moves but her Ftilt does not. Pits Fsmash, SH Fair and Dtilt will all get by it.

Dtilt,usmash,Naryus, and dsmash all come out very quick.
So do Pit's Arrows, Jab Combo, Dtilt, Fsmash, SH Nair, Utilt, Upsmash and Dsmash. Once again we have more options here.

We have bair OoS.........that beats any of your OoS options. One powershield and you'll eat a frame 5 lightning kick to the face.
IIrc Pit's Jab is a frame 4 move, I could be wrong but I doubt it. Either way it's fast enough OoS to cause problems on a powershield.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I don't see how BF would be Pit's best nuetral stage over FD.

"Just so you know, Pit's Ftilt and possibly his Fair have greater range than any of your moves. Zelda's Fsmash included. Her Fsmash outranges all of Pit's other moves but her Ftilt does not. Pits Fsmash, SH Fair and Dtilt will all get by it."

Zeldas fsmash has as much range as Marths........I don't think your fair or certainly your ftilt match that in range. I'll have to check on the ftilt.

Pit's jab comes out on frame 5. It is still nowhere close to a lightning kick as far as OoS options go.

Pit's arrows are only fast when they are shorthopped, grounded arrows come out on frame 20 unless the chart in the Tactical Discussion forum is wrong.

So basically whenever we're in fsmash range, Zelda's ground game beats Pit's. Hyphen smashes are also useful in close range situations and are extremely quick.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Another thing to note and watch out for is mirror shield gimps, you may not expect itbut pit can mirror FW, both beginning and ending (though the ending one isn't useful). It is absolutelly hilarious to see a zelda teleport into a blastzone.
2 things about that:
a) you'll virtually never get that off. miriror sheild has crap range and zelda wouldn't use farore's near that close to you.
b) release the control stick and then re-aim whee you want to land. You'll survive every time. it's only if you keep holding onto the direction that she'll warp the wrong way. Trust me, I play against mario a lot.

"Just so you know, Pit's Ftilt and possibly his Fair have greater range than any of your moves. Zelda's Fsmash included. Her Fsmash outranges all of Pit's other moves but her Ftilt does not. Pits Fsmash, SH Fair and Dtilt will all get by it."

Zeldas fsmash has as much range as Marths........I don't think your fair or certainly your ftilt match that in range. I'll have to check on the ftilt.
I'll help you out here: Zelda's Ftilt has more range than her fsmash (with the exclusion of the very last hit of her fsmash) and both moves outrange anything pit has. BTW, the range of the moves is nearly identical. it's barely worth splitting hairs.

Pit's jab comes out on frame 5. It is still nowhere close to a lightning kick as far as OoS options go.
he has to drop his sheild first too. Zelda's lightning kick comes out immediately because she can jump cancel her sheild.
It is not just a good Pit stage, it is arguably Pits best neutral stage. Despite what you may think Arrows are just as effective here as they would be on other stages, the ledges only prevent things like Arrow Looping from being as effective. The ledges also set up well for Pit's Uairs and Nairs and also allow him to space Fairs without being punished.
Zelda owns battlefield. it might be her best stage period much less the best of the neutrals for her. it's been mentioned all over the place, but she uses the platforms to her advantage in so many ways and they do nothing to hurt her. You'll be getting hit by her lightning kicks and uairs a hell of a lot more on this stage for one thing... and no way you can afford too much of that.

Zelda's Nair doesn't have much knockback so unless Pits at higher percentages(most likely when you would have been better off landing a tilt or smash attack) it won't really be that troublesome. Nayru's I can see happening from time to time but all in all it is just a guessing game as a recovering Pit can as easily Fair you while returning to the stage if you expect an air dodge. Din's Fire is good and the best option of you have at gimping Pit, all i'm going to say is don't underestimate the manuveurability of WOI.
the last hit of nair has good knockback. it's low for a zelda attack, but it's good for an attack in general. plus it has mostly horizontal knockback. that's what puts pit in a bad position, especially if he has bad DI because he was tring to DI OUT of the attack rather than accepting the attack and DIing to survive it. Zelda also has good aerial mobility due to her good horizontal air speed and acceleration. and all it takes is a sourspotted aerial to gimp WOI. Don't underestimate the size of din's. :chuckle:

Just so you know, Pit's Ftilt and possibly his Fair have greater range than any of your moves. Zelda's Fsmash included. Her Fsmash outranges all of Pit's other moves but her Ftilt does not. Pits Fsmash, SH Fair and Dtilt will all get by it.
as I mentioned before, if her fsmash does, then so does her ftilt... and she has faster options if you are closer. Zelda plain and simple beats you on the ground. Better close range options and better reach for better short range engagements. you have camping on her and that's it ont he ground.

IIrc Pit's Jab is a frame 4 move, I could be wrong but I doubt it. Either way it's fast enough OoS to cause problems on a powershield.
oh we're talking about a powersheild? well then Zelda has lots of options too... and they are all scarrier than anything pit can muster OoS.

Coffee™

I need it....
FD doesn't offer any of the advantages I listed above, it's just a big neutral playing field. The only advantage Pit has here over BF is that its slightly harder to avoid his arrows, but nothing that can compensate for the advantages that he has on BF.

Fair is shorter than Ftilt, but i'm not sure by how much and Pit's Ftilt has slightly more range than Marths Fsmash.

Pit's arrows are only fast when they are shorthopped, grounded arrows come out on frame 20 unless the chart in the Tactical Discussion forum is wrong.
What chart are you talking about?

So basically whenever we're in fsmash range, Zelda's ground game beats Pit's.
If you are at the "tipper range of your Fsmash then yes, since its a faster move than Pit's Ftilt but if you're close than that Pit has more options than you do.

Hyphen smashes are also useful in close range situations and are extremely quick.
The same can be said for Pits.

it's been mentioned all over the place, but she uses the platforms to her advantage in so many ways and they do nothing to hurt her.
Exactly the same can be mentioned about Pit. You don't have an advantage on BF. At worst it is a neutral stage in this matchup and in my opinion I believe Pit has the advantage here.

the last hit of nair has good knockback. it's low for a zelda attack, but it's good for an attack in general. plus it has mostly horizontal knockback. that's what puts pit in a bad position, especially if he has bad DI because he was tring to DI OUT of the attack rather than accepting the attack and DIing to survive it. Zelda also has good aerial mobility due to her good horizontal air speed and acceleration. and all it takes is a sourspotted aerial to gimp WOI. Don't underestimate the size of din's. :chuckle:
If the player DIs badly that is the players fault not Pits so it is irrelevant. Sure it may only take a sourspotted attack to knock Pit out of WOI but the chance of Zelda gimping Pit with an aerial is slim. Din is all you have here tbh.

as I mentioned before, if her fsmash does, then so does her ftilt... and she has faster options if you are closer. Zelda plain and simple beats you on the ground. Better close range options and better reach for better short range engagements. you have camping on her and that's it ont he ground.
"As I mentioned before" Pits Ftilt will outrange your Fsmash as well as Ftilt. Fair i'm not entirely sure of but it is probable that it outranges you. Zelda has less options against Pit at close range than Pit does towards her. And if Pit can camp the hell out of Zelda as well as have a fairly good ground game up close then I fail to see how Zelda will win on the ground.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
FD doesn't offer any of the advantages I listed above, it's just a big neutral playing field. The only advantage Pit has here over BF is that its slightly harder to avoid his arrows, but nothing that can compensate for the advantages that he has on BF.
pit's advantages on BF are small compared to zelda's. and you've given absolutely no idea to believe otherwise.

...but if you're close than that Pit has more options than you do.
but are they BETTER options? Zelda's Dsmash, Dtilt, usmash and nayru's are very fast, very effective at close range, and just all around good.

The same can be said for Pits.
except that pit's usmash <<< Zelda's Usmash.

Exactly the same can be mentioned about Pit. You don't have an advantage on BF. At worst it is a neutral stage in this matchup and in my opinion I believe Pit has the advantage here.
in the opinion of every zelda main, you're wrong. I can't remember the last time a pit beat me on BF or LM.

If the player DIs badly that is the players fault not Pits so it is irrelevant. Sure it may only take a sourspotted attack to knock Pit out of WOI but the chance of Zelda gimping Pit with an aerial is slim. Din is all you have here tbh.
it's not irrelivent because if you don't DI at all the knockback is still bad. I'm just trying to prevent the have your cake and eat it too argument. Some people might argue that it's easy to avoid or DI out of nair. but if you commit yourself to that, you are going to be sent at a bad angle should you fail. even if you have good DI, it doesn't help you recover and it's nice free damage.

"As I mentioned before" Pits Ftilt will outrange your Fsmash as well as Ftilt. Fair i'm not entirely sure of but it is probable that it outranges you. Zelda has less options against Pit at close range than Pit does towards her. And if Pit can camp the hell out of Zelda as well as have a fairly good ground game up close then I fail to see how Zelda will win on the ground.
fair does not. you'd have to time it right to punish her... which is not the same thing as outranging... and who approaches zelda fromt he air? and pit's ftilt has range, but it doesn't have threatening knockback, and it's not too hard to avoid because it's slow for an attack that weak. and it's also highly punishable OoS. To say that Ftilt gives pit the advantage in long range melee attacks is completely ridiculous. it's exactly the same as the DDD mains claiming that DDD's ftilt > Zelda's entire ground game. that's ********. niether pit nor DDD have anything that's going to zone me where his ftilt is going to hit but none of my smashes. Accept it. Zelda beats pit on the ground once they are engaged. it is NOT his forte and it's an area in which zelda excells. you have nothing that counters this inherent advantage. nothing.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Thank you for saying everything I was trying to find a way to say! ^

The only thing I could think to say was "NO!" but you fixed that and made it better.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
in the opinion of every zelda main, you're wrong. I can't remember the last time a pit beat me on BF or LM.
A better way to phrase it would be, "what exactly gives pit such a large advantage on Battlefield that counterbalances Zelda's impressive advantage there.

Because you gotta remember, lots of Pit losses there might simply be because of weaknesses on the players' parts, not a weakness on the characters' part.

Regardless, the point on Luigi's Mansion is well taken. It certainly makes off the top kills almost useless. Since pit has a lot of jumps, glide, good aerial mobility and a far-reaching recovery (which is really, not too useful in this case unless he knocks you away) downsmash isn't that effective in killing him. Granted, Lightning kicks, and f-smash are still kill moves.

Looking at the match-up, I'd say that getting rid of the arrows does not justify the lose of these kill moves, especially when pit dies so early in this match-up. I'd put this in the list of stages for pit to counter-pick Zelda, maybe our choice for ban?

Coffee™

I need it....
pit's advantages on BF are small compared to zelda's. and you've given absolutely no idea to believe otherwise.
I can say the same for you. All you've told me is that you can use lightning kicks and Uairs better which in turn gives me even less reason to believe Zelda has an advantage over Pit here, your post that states
Zelda loves platforms, pit hates them. Zelda loves pillars, pit hates them. This matchup is more dependent on which stage you pick than anything else as the advantage shifts depending on stage.
also leads me to believe that you have no idea how Pit can even use platforms to his advantage and it just sounds like if you are saying BF is good stage in this matchup because it is generally a good stage for Zelda against most of the cast. In the case of this matchup it simply is not.

but are they BETTER options? Zelda's Dsmash, Dtilt, usmash and nayru's are very fast, very effective at close range, and just all around good.
Better is a very subjective term. I can say that because my Dtilt sets me up for a follow up better than any of your moves, or that my Jab Combo spaces me well enough to avoid any move you can throw out which allows me to go back to camping you, I can say my Dthrow, Utilt and Fthrow set me up better than any of your moves to follow up....etc. Zelda has few moves that she can use at close range in comparison to Pit. Better? that for each player to decide but if I have more options than you I generally consider myself to be in a better position.

except that pit's usmash <<< Zelda's Usmash.
Once again subjective. Zelda's Usmash is a kill move, Pit's is a "set up for a follow up" move. In terms of killing Zelda's is better but in terms of racking up damage Pit has this one.

I assume you are EVERY Zelda main? And maybe the last Pits you played have been garbage?

it's not irrelivent because if you don't DI at all the knockback is still bad. I'm just trying to prevent the have your cake and eat it too argument. Some people might argue that it's easy to avoid or DI out of nair. but if you commit yourself to that, you are going to be sent at a bad angle should you fail. even if you have good DI, it doesn't help you recover and it's nice free damage.
It is irrelevant because these are "character" matchups not "player + character" matchups so perfect DI is going to be assumed for the most part almost everytime. What kind of angle would perfectly DIing the Nair send you at anyway? I find it hard to believe that Zelda would be able to followup before allowing Pit to return to the stage.

fair does not. you'd have to time it right to punish her... which is not the same thing as outranging.
Time it right? A fully extended fair should "outrange" your Fsmash i'm not talking about timing it right to avoid the Fmash to then hit with the Fair.

.. and who approaches zelda fromt he air?
It is not live you're approaching from a full hop or jumping over Zelda. SH Fairs and Nairs are good enough to approach Zelda with.

and pit's ftilt has range, but it doesn't have threatening knockback, and it's not too hard to avoid because it's slow for an attack that weak. and it's also highly punishable OoS.
Pit isn't just going to be randomly throwing out Ftilts as you're making it seem. It has medium knockback and Zelda isn't exactly heavy. It will kill you at higher percentages.

To say that Ftilt gives pit the advantage in long range melee attacks is completely ridiculous. it's exactly the same as the DDD mains claiming that DDD's ftilt > Zelda's entire ground game. that's ********. niether pit nor DDD have anything that's going to zone me where his ftilt is going to hit but none of my smashes.
I never said it gave Pit the edge in long ranged melee attacks, I simply said it outranges your Fsmash so don't put words into my mouth. If Pit is at range of your long range melee attacks he will simply shield them and retreat with a fair or the like and proceed to start camping you.

Accept it. Zelda beats pit on the ground once they are engaged. it is NOT his forte and it's an area in which zelda excells. you have nothing that counters this inherent advantage. nothing.
I disagree, Zelda beats Pit at certain distanced ranges on the ground, but if Pit is in closer then he has a definite advantage. You also don't take into account that Pit's Arrows and Zelda's Dins Fire are also part of their ground games. And you can't deny that Pit beat the living crap out of a Zelda if they are at a projectile range. There is also the issue of Pit simply ledgecamping you which you never brought up. They're isn't much a Zelda can do to a ledgecamping Pit and i'm pretty sure that thats also included in ground game .

In short I still say Pit's ground game > Zelda's ground game.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
A better way to phrase it would be, "what exactly gives pit such a large advantage on Battlefield that counterbalances Zelda's impressive advantage there.

Because you gotta remember, lots of Pit losses there might simply be because of weaknesses on the players' parts, not a weakness on the characters' part.

Regardless, the point on Luigi's Mansion is well taken. It certainly makes off the top kills almost useless. Since pit has a lot of jumps, glide, good aerial mobility and a far-reaching recovery (which is really, not too useful in this case unless he knocks you away) downsmash isn't that effective in killing him. Granted, Lightning kicks, and f-smash are still kill moves.

Looking at the match-up, I'd say that getting rid of the arrows does not justify the lose of these kill moves, especially when pit dies so early in this match-up. I'd put this in the list of stages for pit to counter-pick Zelda, maybe our choice for ban?
all pit has on zelda on the ground is his camping game. take away his arrows (which pillars do) and he actually gets outcamped by din's. Pit's approach game against zelda is severely limited and, what's more, the solid ceilings completely eliminate his ability to approach through the air. So zelda has a harder time killing him on mansion. Pit has a ridiculously hard time getting TO zelda on mansion and zelda can kill through the platforms with uair at low dmages still. Pit can't hide under a ceiling forever. if he insists on doing so, use din's to lure him out. regardless, vertical KOs do still happen. they don't become "almost useless" they just become harder to use. And Dsmash is still beautiful. if it doesn't kill with its respectable attack power, which it will at moderate damages, it'll flush pit out of the mansion. it doesn't take much from Zelda to KO him once he's out there, especially if you've held onto your kill moves. Zelda makes a good edgeguarder. not necessarily by following them off the edge, but by goal tending, so to speak.
For Pit. what can he do? he can't camp on luigi's worth a dime and he has an even harder time KOing zelda than he normally has. plus he can't approach her from the air.

As for battlefield. Zelda has a number of nifty strategies which involve battlefield's platforms which have been mentioned time and time again. And the platforms, again, hinder pit's ability to get at zelda from above. it's already a difficult thing to do, the platforms make it even MORE difficult. Also the main platform is not exceptionally large which limits pit's ability to run away. he can still camp, but it's not near as frustrating. Once again, zelda has a number of effective tactics that work because of battlefield's layout. tactics which pit is not immune to and which have been mentioned before AND it is a very friendly stage to her recovery.

I ask again. why would a pit think this is one of his better stages against zelda or luigi's mansion for that matter? they are home to zelda and I have yet to see any way that pit takes advantage of these stages in any way approaching as well as zelda does, or does anything to nullify her advantages in either place.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
all pit has on zelda on the ground is his camping game. take away his arrows (which pillars do) and he actually gets outcamped by din's. Pit's approach game against zelda is severely limited and, what's more, the solid ceilings completely eliminate his ability to approach through the air. So zelda has a harder time killing him on mansion. Pit has a ridiculously hard time getting TO zelda on mansion and zelda can kill through the platforms with uair at low dmages still. Pit can't hide under a ceiling forever. if he insists on doing so, use din's to lure him out. regardless, vertical KOs do still happen. they don't become "almost useless" they just become harder to use. And Dsmash is still beautiful. if it doesn't kill with its respectable attack power, which it will at moderate damages, it'll flush pit out of the mansion. it doesn't take much from Zelda to KO him once he's out there, especially if you've held onto your kill moves. Zelda makes a good edgeguarder. not necessarily by following them off the edge, but by goal tending, so to speak.
For Pit. what can he do? he can't camp on luigi's worth a dime and he has an even harder time KOing zelda than he normally has. plus he can't approach her from the air.
Really, arrows aren't that threatening, get into an "arrows=you're punished" range, and you're good reguardless.

Aerial approaches in general must contend with utilt and upsmash, especially upsmash's godly priority.

For verts, I was speaking in reletive terms, they happen, they're just rare.

D-smash, again, it's still great. It's just not a reliable kill/kill set-up for Pit because of Pit's mobiliby.

My point is, while it impacts Pit, it tends too make kills considerably harder for her, removing a rather large advantage that Zelda previously had.

What pit loses because of that does not outweigh what he gains.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I respectfully disagree adumbrodeus. Pit has to approch on LM. and on he ground no less, that's probably his weakest aspect of the matchup. it takes away his best advantages while taking away only zelda's vert. kill efficiency. that seems fair to me. Pillars also prlong zelda's smash atatcks making them impossible to spotdodge. And the ceilings just make her Usmash work differently, making it chain into itself or dsmash rather than koing outright.
I can say the same for you. All you've told me is that you can use lightning kicks and Uairs better which in turn gives me even less reason to believe Zelda has an advantage over Pit here, your post that states also leads me to believe that you have no idea how Pit can even use platforms to his advantage and it just sounds like if you are saying BF is good stage in this matchup because it is generally a good stage for Zelda against most of the cast. In the case of this matchup it simply is not.
I'm not responding to this. there are multiple reasons zelda likes them. they've been brought up before. I could find them again, but you've not given ONE SINGLE reason to believe otherwise. your response to the argument is consistently a big NUH-UH with absolutely no proof or logical argument as backing. Why bring out cannons to destroy a mosquito. give me a reason to and I will.

Better is a very subjective term. I can say that because my Dtilt sets me up for a follow up better than any of your moves, or that my Jab Combo spaces me well enough to avoid any move you can throw out which allows me to go back to camping you, I can say my Dthrow, Utilt and Fthrow set me up better than any of your moves to follow up....etc. Zelda has few moves that she can use at close range in comparison to Pit. Better? that for each player to decide but if I have more options than you I generally consider myself to be in a better position.
zelda's Dtilt combos into munltiple different attacks, all of which are threatening, and also can semi-lock. her Dsmash and nayru's come out lightining fast (especially dsmash) and they will at the least parry with whatever you throw out. it doesn't so much matter that you have more close range options if Dsmash will win out everytime you get that close. Usmash OoS just destroys if you are close to her and is still very fast.

Once again subjective. Zelda's Usmash is a kill move, Pit's is a "set up for a follow up" move. In terms of killing Zelda's is better but in terms of racking up damage Pit has this one.
okay. now this is just absurd. I can understand loving your main. but you have to pick your battles wisely. Pit's usmash can be safely DId out of VERY early and is limited in knockback and damage. Zelda normally does not use Usmash for KOs. it does a LOT of damage and is meant to outprioritize high attacks. and it does that splendidly. there is very little threatening about pit's Usmash. it doesn't have as much priority as zelda's usmash, it doesn't have as much power, it doesn't sheild poke as well, it doesn't have as much knockback, and it's less reliable as far as being DId out of. also pit does not have zelda's priority in general. if zelda hyphen smashes a usmash pit has less to block it than zelda does to block pit doing the same thing. I never once claimed that Zelda's hyphen smash was an amazing thing but someone else mentioned it was a good option and, again, you jumped right to saying pits was better. it isn't for those reasons. Zelda is famous for her beastly Usmash. is Pit? no. why? because it's mediocre at best. Zelda's Usmash > Pit's Usmash. is Pit's useless? no. but it is not as good as zelda's. Admit defeat once in a while.

I assume you are EVERY Zelda main? And maybe the last Pits you played have been garbage?
no. he's good. which is why he wins on other stages more frequently. on other stages I've started CPing sheik anyway for the ease of gimps. but if we're on battlefield or mansion I don't need to. I've given reasons why. now why do you refuse? or do you just not have them?

It is irrelevant because these are "character" matchups not "player + character" matchups so perfect DI is going to be assumed for the most part almost everytime. What kind of angle would perfectly DIing the Nair send you at anyway? I find it hard to believe that Zelda would be able to followup before allowing Pit to return to the stage.
no. this is a falacy. matchup discussions assume what pros can do. not even the best of the best are perfect. if you have good DI afterwards, you have just as much of a chance of surviving as you did before, but zelda can still get back to the stage no problem and you now have more damage.

Time it right? A fully extended fair should "outrange" your Fsmash i'm not talking about timing it right to avoid the Fmash to then hit with the Fair.
because of the fact that you are airborne, yes, you can get past it if you are high enough maybe. but I'm pretty sure you can't get straight through it. regardless, why risk it? Fsmash is more threatening than fair and if it does outrange with perfect spacing, you'll be lucky to get that spacing 50% of the time.

It is not live you're approaching from a full hop or jumping over Zelda. SH Fairs and Nairs are good enough to approach Zelda with.
my point. jump over zelda. get punished. it's not a happy place to be.

Pit isn't just going to be randomly throwing out Ftilts as you're making it seem. It has medium knockback and Zelda isn't exactly heavy. It will kill you at higher percentages.
if it's his only option to outrange zelda on the ground, then he'll be throwing it out sme often or getting hit a lot. maybe both.

I never said it gave Pit the edge in long ranged melee attacks, I simply said it outranges your Fsmash so don't put words into my mouth. If Pit is at range of your long range melee attacks he will simply shield them and retreat with a fair or the like and proceed to start camping you.
you said pit has a better ground game. he doesn't. he has camping which isn't the same thing. other than that. no.

I disagree, Zelda beats Pit at certain distanced ranges on the ground, but if Pit is in closer then he has a definite advantage. You also don't take into account that Pit's Arrows and Zelda's Dins Fire are also part of their ground games. And you can't deny that Pit beat the living crap out of a Zelda if they are at a projectile range. There is also the issue of Pit simply ledgecamping you which you never brought up. They're isn't much a Zelda can do to a ledgecamping Pit and i'm pretty sure that thats also included in ground game .
I've already posted the reasons earlier. if pit is in close, zelda wins. pit has the advantage while camping and while aerial dogfighting (then again, Zelda has a nice long airdodge to get through that)

In short I still say Pit's ground game > Zelda's ground game.
in shorter..... no. for reasons given.

Coffee™

I need it....
all pit has on zelda on the ground is his camping game. take away his arrows (which pillars do) and he actually gets outcamped by din's.
Pillars do not take away Pits ability to camp. LM only limits Pit somewhat but its still fairly easy to take advantage of Zelda here. Zelda can only outcamp Pit if she is outside of a Pillar where his arrows cannot reach. If she is anywhere inside the mansion then I don't see how she has an advantage. If she is on the same level as Pit then his arrows are faster and if she is on a higher level then when Zelda releases Dins Fire all he has to do is run up underneath her and attack with Uair. Zelda doesn't outcamp Pit here at all except for when she is in a fairly situational position.

Pit's approach game against zelda is severely limited .......*Snip*
As I've said before Pit's approach game isn't limited against Zelda, even in LM. And it isn't exactly that hard for Pit to KO Zelda in here as he can rack up damage far easier in this stage thanks to the limitations of the pillars and rooftops in the stage. Zelda isn't heavy either so he shouldn't really have a hard time KOing her with Fsmash or Dsmash.

As for battlefield. Zelda has a number of nifty strategies which involve battlefield's platforms which have been mentioned time and time again. And the platforms, again, hinder pit's ability to get at zelda from above.
Pit does not care about attacking from above against any character let alone Zelda.

it's already a difficult thing to do, the platforms make it even MORE difficult. Also the main platform is not exceptionally large which limits pit's ability to run away. he can still camp, but it's not near as frustrating. Once again, zelda has a number of effective tactics that work because of battlefield's layout. tactics which pit is not immune to and which have been mentioned before AND it is a very friendly stage to her recovery.
Battlefield is also a very friendly stage for Pit to recover due to his ability to go under the stage as well as sweetspot the ledge easier with his glide and WOI. As for the platforms, just take a look at Pit's moveset Dair, Dtilt, Utilt, Dthrow are all moves that propel you upward and once Pit is under you he immediately excels in racking up damage Battle fields platforms will set you up nicely every time for some follow up, I could go into more detail but hey "Why bring out cannons to destroy a mosquito."

zelda's Dtilt combos into munltiple different attacks, all of which are threatening, and also can semi-lock. her Dsmash and nayru's come out lightining fast (especially dsmash) and they will at the least parry with whatever you throw out. it doesn't so much matter that you have more close range options if Dsmash will win out everytime you get that close. Usmash OoS just destroys if you are close to her and is still very fast.
All I will say to this is that you seem to think Pits close range options are slow, which they are not. Bring the frame rates for Zelda's close range moves, then we can discuss that.

okay. now this is just absurd. I can understand loving your main. but you have to pick your battles wisely. Pit's usmash can be safely DId out of VERY early and is limited in knockback and damage. Zelda normally does not use Usmash for KOs.
DIing out of Pits USmash is not as easy as you make it seem as its execution is quick and the DI you will have to input will change based on where and which part of the attack you are hit

it does a LOT of damage and is meant to outprioritize high attacks. and it does that splendidly. there is very little threatening about pit's Usmash. it doesn't have as much priority as zelda's usmash, it doesn't have as much power, it doesn't sheild poke as well, it doesn't have as much knockback, and it's less reliable as far as being DId out of.
Usmash does like what? 16% when fresh, thats not a LOT of damage. As I said before Pit's Usmash is not about KOing, it is about setting up for other moves, and as stated before DIing properly out of it in such a way that you can always avoid a possible follow up is near impossible.

I never once claimed that Zelda's hyphen smash was an amazing thing but someone else mentioned it was a good option and, again, you jumped right to saying pits was better.
Once again, stop putting words into my mouth. I never said Pits was "better" which is already as I preveiously mentioned a very subjective term. I said Pit's Usmash is more about comboing than it is for KOing, which Zelda's is generally used for. I don't know why you're bothering to tell me it isn't used much as a KO move when you can clearly see that with the knockback it provides it is. It's even listed in your Zelda guide as a great KO move.

no. he's good. which is why he wins on other stages more frequently. on other stages I've started CPing sheik anyway for the ease of gimps. but if we're on battlefield or mansion I don't need to. I've given reasons why. now why do you refuse? or do you just not have them?
Show me a matchup that I can agree with you that he is good. Personally I don't belive he is if he loses frequently on BF or LM. And in your post you say that he wins on other stages more frequently, why is that? Hmm maybe Pit has an advantage over Zelda? :laugh:

no. this is a falacy. matchup discussions assume what pros can do. not even the best of the best are perfect. if you have good DI afterwards, you have just as much of a chance of surviving as you did before, but zelda can still get back to the stage no problem and you now have more damage.
How can a CHARACTER MATCHUP be so directly related to the people that play them. That would be a character+player matchup which it is not. You look at character movesets when discussing, not how well people can play them.

because of the fact that you are airborne, yes, you can get past it if you are high enough maybe. but I'm pretty sure you can't get straight through it. regardless, why risk it? Fsmash is more threatening than fair and if it does outrange with perfect spacing, you'll be lucky to get that spacing 50% of the time.
I'm not talking about being over your Fsmash, i'm talking about clashing or outranging it. As I said before i'm not entirely sure if it does but apparently neither are you so i'm just going to drop it.

my point. jump over zelda. get punished. it's not a happy place to be.
Read what I just posted....you aren't jumping over her to begin with.

if it's his only option to outrange zelda on the ground, then he'll be throwing it out sme often or getting hit a lot. maybe both.
You aren't going to want to outrange Zelda all of the time, i'm just saying its possible. Pit is either going to want to be entirely out of your range or close enough to abuse his own.

you said pit has a better ground game. he doesn't. he has camping which isn't the same thing. other than that. no.
If I am shooting my projectiles from off the ground it is part of my ground game, simple as that.

in shorter..... no. for reasons given.
Reasons...debunked.

May the walls of text continue :laugh:

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I completely agree with everything Hedgedawg is saying and if you looked through the discussion before you came in you would realize that so do the majority of us. Some of us thought the matchup should have been in Zelda's favor. They aren't speaking out now maybe because they don't want to get into a "no way!, yes way!" battle...

Don't be discouraged from arguing though if you can bring up logical statistics and factual battle info. Its certainly better than a Zelda main arguing for Pit.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
gimping pit with zelda. is prettymuch non existant. Dinfire.. doesnt kill and sends them up making it easy for pit to recovery even if hes hit out of wings. How is that a good edgeguard? also its easy just to spotdodge them. and dont give me the "wait for spotdodge to finish" stuff because by the time the spot dodge is finished the din will prolly be long gone -.-. Glide is useless anyway because of zelda upsmash. what are you gonna gimp us with seriously? all of zeldas aerials minus up-air are pretty much either crap range or laggy. also jumping out against pit in the air is DUMB. dont forget your previous argument against mirrorshield gimps "they have to be close range to work" so your gonna put yourself in an easy to gimp situation just so you can have a harder time gimping pit than he is gimping you even though ur supposed to be edgeguarding? give me a break. also when spamming dins for edgeguard its super easy to just...SHOOT an arrow at zelda. Not that hard srsly. finally.anything you can do to our recovery we can do too. simple put arrows own dins in terms of edgeguards because 1) ours is faster 2) ours dont knock the person UP where they can just di down 3. Ours are more manueverable.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
Why does everyone think Pit is at a disadvantage on BF?? I can skillfully loop arrows between the platforms, and have you all ever heard of wing refresh?? It can be abused like hell on BF, on top of the fact that Pit can fly under this stage. Din's fire is no match for the mirror shield, although it becomes useful when Pit is gliding back onto the stage.

In close range, you all claim zelda wins because she has TWO moves that out range pit?? I dunno, theoretically, maybe, but pit was never one to rely on spacing when it comes to close range. In fact, a pit will enjoy the struggle to get in there on you, and probably will... This is where a 50% combo will ensue.

I agree that Pit probably wont gimp a good zelda, and the zelda might get a kill or two using din's fire while pit glides back onto the stage. As far as gimping goes, i still call it even, since pit has a very versatile recovery.

Zelda does have killing power over pit, but she is so light! So dont remove that she is one of the few characters that Pit wont have a problem killing.

When it comes to the air, i dont worry too much about the lightning kick. It hurts, yes, but its quite predictable and avoidable for pit. However, me as a Pit player, would NEVER want to be above a zelda. Whether shes on the ground or the air.

If its a spammy n00b pit, between zelda's NL and killer attacks, it should be no problem. But good Pits are a completely different breed i tell you!! We pit him because he is adaptable and versatile, what i mean to say is, take my arrows away from me and i am still a threat.

This match-up is fun, and Zelda players are very respectable, you KNOW when you get hit by Zelda, and it produces a healthy adrenaline reaction. I get real into this fight.

Anyway, I want to say its 50-50... possibly 55-45 in Pit's favor.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
In close range, you all claim zelda wins because she has TWO moves that out range pit?? I dunno, theoretically, maybe, but pit was never one to rely on spacing when it comes to close range. In fact, a pit will enjoy the struggle to get in there on you, and probably will... This is where a 50% combo will ensue.
Dude, at the top of the metagame, spacing is everything.

It's stuff like this that literally defines advantagious and disadvantagious match-ups.

When it comes to the air, i dont worry too much about the lightning kick. It hurts, yes, but its quite predictable and avoidable for pit. However, me as a Pit player, would NEVER want to be above a zelda. Whether shes on the ground or the air.
5 frames is predictable? I must refine my definition of predictable then, because I thought the best reaction time was 7.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
gimping pit with zelda. is prettymuch non existant. Dinfire.. doesnt kill and sends them up making it easy for pit to recovery even if hes hit out of wings. How is that a good edgeguard? also its easy just to spotdodge them. and dont give me the "wait for spotdodge to finish" stuff because by the time the spot dodge is finished the din will prolly be long gone -.-. Glide is useless anyway because of zelda upsmash. what are you gonna gimp us with seriously? all of zeldas aerials minus up-air are pretty much either crap range or laggy. also jumping out against pit in the air is DUMB. dont forget your previous argument against mirrorshield gimps "they have to be close range to work" so your gonna put yourself in an easy to gimp situation just so you can have a harder time gimping pit than he is gimping you even though ur supposed to be edgeguarding? give me a break. also when spamming dins for edgeguard its super easy to just...SHOOT an arrow at zelda. Not that hard srsly. finally.anything you can do to our recovery we can do too. simple put arrows own dins in terms of edgeguards because 1) ours is faster 2) ours dont knock the person UP where they can just di down 3. Ours are more manueverable.
What's to stop Zelda sourspotting and sweetspotting dairs, fairs, bairs, nairs? One hit and he's paralysed (in terms of recovery) until he reaches the grounded.

Din's is a threat because he cannot airdodge when using his up b. So he'll take damage and have the opportunity of falling to his death. If he's high enough to fall to the ground, Zelda will USmash or Uair, which outprioritises him and has a good chance of killing.

Yes he gets shot up by din's, but what Zeldas are saying is that DSmash, when saved, will always send pit at a ridiculously low, horziontal trajectory, and this with din's or any of her other aerials puts him at a huge risk. Din's will shoot him up, but possibly not high enough for him to grab the ledge, and if he does get high enough, Zelda can edgehog, simply put.

The only thing pit has to recover safely from Zelda are his jumps and arrows. Din's will force him to airdodge, delaying his arrows. Airdodging and arrows in turn will delay his jumps slightly, and that, conclusively, may force him to eventually use up b, which puts him at the risk we Zeldas want him to be in.

As for the other way around, pit can edgeguard Zelda and gimp her, but this is only truly a threat when she's recovering from quite a low distance, and her love jump, which reflects and gives her a huge vertical boost (at the cost of losing her second jump), eliminates this threat. Not necessarily completely, but to a degree where she can return back to the stage a lot safer.

Hope this helps =D

NOTE: To Zelda mains, I know love jump is useless, but it can come in handy during few situations. From my personal experience I find that against Pit and other characters who can aim their projectiles for that matter, I use it a tad bit more. Otherwise, I never touch it.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
Dude, at the top of the metagame, spacing is everything.

It's stuff like this that literally defines advantagious and disadvantagious match-ups.

5 frames is predictable? I must refine my definition of predictable then, because I thought the best reaction time was 7.
Okay, aboutthe metagame comment, i understand this. Thats why i said THEORETICALLY. But people make mistakes, Pit is fast, and will get in on you.

As for the other the 5 frame thing, dont you have to be like basically IN me to sweet spot that?? Im sorry but if i see a zelda trying to get that close to me in the air, its obvious what will follow.
You think id react to your attack when it COMES OUT?? Thats such a silly remark. Id prevent the lightning kick before it even comes out is what i mean. And yes, its predictable.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
What's to stop Zelda sourspotting and sweetspotting dairs, fairs, bairs, nairs? One hit and he's paralysed (in terms of recovery) until he reaches the grounded.

simple : our aerial game is that much better as we do not need to worry about theese things your better off spamming dins and waiting for us to come back and kill us with upsmash. Pit's recovery is very good even without the upB. i would say zeldas recovery is worse and pits edgeguarding is better.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Okay, aboutthe metagame comment, i understand this. Thats why i said THEORETICALLY. But people make mistakes, Pit is fast, and will get in on you.
Assuming people will make mistakes is issue one, it changes it from top levels of metagame to lower levels.

For you to assume people will make mistakes, you need a concrete mindgames advantage, or be more skillful.

As for the other the 5 frame thing, dont you have to be like basically IN me to sweet spot that?? Im sorry but if i see a zelda trying to get that close to me in the air, its obvious what will follow.
You think id react to your attack when it COMES OUT?? Thats such a silly remark. Id prevent the lightning kick before it even comes out is what i mean. And yes, its predictable.
No, she doesn't. Bair is pretty long ranged and the sweetspot is at the edge of the kick's range.

As for it being predictable, this is SH'd OOS, 5 frames from shield, that's not predictable at all.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Pillars do not take away Pits ability to camp. LM only limits Pit somewhat but its still fairly easy to take advantage of Zelda here. Zelda can only outcamp Pit if she is outside of a Pillar where his arrows cannot reach. If she is anywhere inside the mansion then I don't see how she has an advantage. If she is on the same level as Pit then his arrows are faster and if she is on a higher level then when Zelda releases Dins Fire all he has to do is run up underneath her and attack with Uair. Zelda doesn't outcamp Pit here at all except for when she is in a fairly situational position.
pit can do nothing really to stop zelda from putting herself in that position. and inside the mansion unless both zelda and pit are right inside the pillars, you're probably too close to try to camp. it's YOU that only outcamps in certain situations. not us. on luigi's mansion. and uair is not a threatening platfrom poke. with the platform between you it's easy to DI out and it does pathertic damage. zelda will probably not be on that top layer anyway though.

As I've said before Pit's approach game isn't limited against Zelda, even in LM. And it isn't exactly that hard for Pit to KO Zelda in here as he can rack up damage far easier in this stage thanks to the limitations of the pillars and rooftops in the stage. Zelda isn't heavy either so he shouldn't really have a hard time KOing her with Fsmash or Dsmash.
pit has a hard time KOing zelda in general there's no way that's true and then it's true that he doesn't ahve a hard time KOing her on mansion. the stage limitations make it harder for you to approach zelda. seriously... tell me what you are going to do to approach her. what can you do? and pit's fsmash and Dsmash are not near as reliable for killing zelda as what zelda can do to pit. I've said why the stage helps zelda. you say "thanks to the stage limitations" but don't say how that actually helps pit. the stage limitations make it so pit can't camp near as well at all AND that his aerial game is far less effective. Zelda likes to be on the ground and her projectile is unnaffected by pillars. pit has very few KO options compared to zelda. the stage protects people from dying. if it saves both of us a few times, I'll still have plenty of KO options at my disposal. could you say the same, or would your KO moves be decayed?

Pit does not care about attacking from above against any character let alone Zelda.
you mean he has no problems with it, let alone against zelda? because you can bet your sweet booty that's a lie.

Battlefield is also a very friendly stage for Pit to recover due to his ability to go under the stage as well as sweetspot the ledge easier with his glide and WOI. As for the platforms, just take a look at Pit's moveset Dair, Dtilt, Utilt, Dthrow are all moves that propel you upward and once Pit is under you he immediately excels in racking up damage Battle fields platforms will set you up nicely every time for some follow up, I could go into more detail but hey "Why bring out cannons to destroy a mosquito."
glide to try to sweetspot and we'll hit you. Din's, fsmash, usmash, hell even uair. we always have options to harm you out of your glide depending on your position. even if one doesn;t KO, extra damage is not something pit can afford. why are pit mains so obsessed with his little tricks? going undert he stage does not make the stage one of your best stages. it means you have a different option for recovery. whoop-de-do. Zelda is beating you, she knocks you off the stage, you recover to the other side of the stage..... Zelda is still beating you. oh man... the advantage pit just gained there!

well that would be very useful if pit actually used the platforms to "excell at racking up damage" I fail to see how he's gaining any special sort of advantage due to battlefield's platforms.
-dair-explain to me how you are hitting a zelda wo his grounded with dair and you win a cookie. if you can still do that when zelda is UNDER A PLATFORM which she's have to be for that argument to make sense and you get to keep the cookie.
-dtilt-exactly when is pit going to get this off? he has to put himself in zelda's range, stop and then d-tilt. if he's that close unmolestled, zelda's dsmash will come out quicker and knock him away... and it's safe. if he's planing on rushing in with it. he'll have to catch zelda sipping tea or something.
-Utilt- is an even worse idea. its range is attrocious so when you miss with it. which you will, you aren't even protected from zelda's retribution because it has such bad priority too.
-Dthrow... so dthrow is pit's entire moveset huh?

and once he GETS me on a platform what's he going to do? at best he's geting one hit. his multi hit attacks are evn easier to DI out of with a platform between you so those are poor options and besides he pathetic utilt his options seem to be nair, uair, usmash and ... maybe an arrow if we are picking our noses. excuse me for finding noe of these threatening. anything else he tries to set up for gives us more than enough time to block or dodge. Zelda, on the other hand can attack through platforms with her usmash, which traps and sheildpokes making it almost impossible to guard, spotdodge or DI out of if she catches you in it when you are above her. or her LKs, utilt or uair... all of which kill at low damages. every charcter can attack through platforms. SOME charcters actually do it well. pit is no better off with platforms than without judging by anything you've said. Zelda has spectacular platform chase options and increased protection under platforms. Zelda normally dosn't attack from the air so the platforms do almost nothing to deter her approaches. Also, zelda can chase with LIGHTNING KICKS AND UAIRS in complete safety. they are easier to land on battlefield AND they are harder to punish AND impossible to dodge or guard if she cataches you as you land. And dont forget the easy to sweetspit ledge and presence of platforms gives ZELDA more recovery options as well and besides, this is the ZELDA THREAD it's not my burden to explain to zelda mains exactly what zelda can do unless you give me a good reason to. you explained nothing and still have explaind nothing as to why pit has any advantage here that zelda doesn't trump.

All I will say to this is that you seem to think Pits close range options are slow, which they are not. Bring the frame rates for Zelda's close range moves, then we can discuss that.
Nayru's is invincible from frame 5 I think, dsmash come out on frame 4, usmash 6 and dtilt about the same as dsmash I think... maybe it's 5 frames. regardless. at close range those moves are all that matter. at alonger distance she outranges your everything except maybe ftilt, which IS slow and not too threatening.

DIing out of Pits USmash is not as easy as you make it seem as its execution is quick and the DI you will have to input will change based on where and which part of the attack you are hit
it's never been difficult for me... and half the time I just smash the control stick randomly. regardless it's MUCH easier to escape than zelda's smashes which require concious and precise inpunts. hell.. half the time you escape pit's usmash without doing anything. the hits are separated by too many frames.

Usmash does like what? 16% when fresh, thats not a LOT of damage. As I said before Pit's Usmash is not about KOing, it is about setting up for other moves, and as stated before DIing properly out of it in such a way that you can always avoid a possible follow up is near impossible.
if you get hit with only the first hit of pit's Usmash, you are normally safe. even getting hit with the first two is not overly threatening. and it does less damage than zelda's usmash with far less knockback even if all 3 hits do connect. in no way is it more threatening no matter the application.

Once again, stop putting words into my mouth. I never said Pits was "better" which is already as I preveiously mentioned a very subjective term. I said Pit's Usmash is more about comboing than it is for KOing, which Zelda's is generally used for. I don't know why you're bothering to tell me it isn't used much as a KO move when you can clearly see that with the knockback it provides it is. It's even listed in your Zelda guide as a great KO move.
it's not for Koing. it DOES KO, but it's primarily used to punish OoS and to stuff aerial aproaches. and it does that well.

Show me a matchup that I can agree with you that he is good. Personally I don't belive he is if he loses frequently on BF or LM. And in your post you say that he wins on other stages more frequently, why is that? Hmm maybe Pit has an advantage over Zelda? :laugh:
more frequently... as in... more frequently than he does on battlefield and luigi's mansion. there are some stages which are bad for zelda in which he DOES win more often. but stages like smashville and yoshi's island we break even... heck, even FD isn't bad.

How can a CHARACTER MATCHUP be so directly related to the people that play them. That would be a character+player matchup which it is not. You look at character movesets when discussing, not how well people can play them.
excuse me? assuming perfect DI every time isn't thinking about how well people play them? that's just wrong. you assume smart DI, but you don't assume supercomputers are controlling your foes.

I'm not talking about being over your Fsmash, i'm talking about clashing or outranging it. As I said before i'm not entirely sure if it does but apparently neither are you so i'm just going to drop it.
k

Read what I just posted....you aren't jumping over her to begin with.

You aren't going to want to outrange Zelda all of the time, i'm just saying its possible. Pit is either going to want to be entirely out of your range or close enough to abuse his own.
no... he's just going to want to be out of your range or have you int he air.

If I am shooting my projectiles from off the ground it is part of my ground game, simple as that.
i'm pretty sure that's not part of the common definition of "ground game" regardless, it's certainly not what I'm talkign about. argue symantics with me all you want it doesn't make pit any better at that aspect of the game

Reasons...debunked.
but with cold, hard and indisputible facts? not in my eyes.

May the walls of text continue :laugh:
and so they will.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
simple : our aerial game is that much better as we do not need to worry about theese things your better off spamming dins and waiting for us to come back and kill us with upsmash. Pit's recovery is very good even without the upB. i would say zeldas recovery is worse and pits edgeguarding is better.
Against Zelda's DSmash I don't think pit's recovery is good enough without the use of his up b.

Zelda's DSmash when fresh will kill pit at the edge of FD at around 100%. Anything before that and he'll be put at one of the farthest horizontal points on the arena, and his three jumps won't allow him to even sweetspot the ledge. Couple this with a few airdodges from din's and his jumps are stalled for longer, meaning eventually he'll have to use his up b.

He can use his up b early to gain quick vertical height, but Zelda will either edgehog or catch him in USmash or Uair.

I can stand corrected, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've just tested Zelda's fair against Pit's. Zelda's seems to be winning every single time when they hit at the same time, even sourspotted fairs. They don't even trade hits. There seems to be a tiny startup lag to pit's fair.

Bair will beat Zelda's fair. But Zelda's bair will trade hits with Pit's.

My means of testing is not official or anything - I've just gone into training mode at the slowest speed, so it's not frame perfect. But what I was doing is putting a slight delay on Zelda's bair, so that she executes it just slightly after Pit's, and she was trading hits everytime. At similar times she was winning, beating out his bair with hers.

EDIT:: what this means is that Zelda can sneak in a lightning kick vs Pit's aerial game.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
aerials dont trade hits they only have Hitboxes known as disjointed hitboxes. zeldas may have more range but Pits are greater over all because they disjoint from his own hurtbox more so he can send them out effortlessly without worry. if zelda does her attack too early it will simply mean pit can attack zeldas feet and can damage her.. besides sourspots = pit can hit zelda harder afterward because of zeldas lag and low knockback.. also pit has a glide that pretty much is Infinite horizontal distance. so horizontal distance if it doesnt kill pits glide will auto make it back. what pits normally have to do to recovery though is go from the bottom of the stage which requires woi. everything else glides and jumps prettymuch covers.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I see. I do stand corrected!

But how would you cope with a fresh DSmash and the low trajectory it sends you at? On frequent occasions it will force you to up b, which is a position Pit doesn't want to be in vs Zelda because then she can hit her aerials and gimp him, without even threatening with din's.

Glide is prone to din's and dair.

Also, are you 100% sure aerials can't trade? On the peach boards, high level players say they can.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
aerials dont "clash i mean" they trade but only if they have similiar hitboxes and hit each other because they do nothave priority trades are possible. traes mostly happen though wwhen you are hit by weak attack and are already out of the hitstun and can hit him while hes stil in lag from the move.
yes i agree vs d-smash it will be hard esp with dins ruining glide. however if you want and are afraid of zeldas gimp (which will dangerous for zelda btw) then just get hit by din and di back down. point is Zelda has no REAL edgeguarding tactics that work 100% of the time on pit. If zelda uses dins. pit gets hit and goes back. if zelda jumps out. Pit can glide and doesnt need his WoI.

*i say sdangerous because pit will often use woi under the map or under the lip to grab edge and if zelda goes there and gets knocked into the map without double jump shes pretty much dead because of brawls ledge system. she will get stuck under and die.

Coffee™

I need it....
pit can do nothing really to stop zelda from putting herself in that position. and inside the mansion unless both zelda and pit are right inside the pillars, you're probably too close to try to camp. it's YOU that only outcamps in certain situations. not us. on luigi's mansion. and uair is not a threatening platfrom poke. with the platform between you it's easy to DI out and it does pathertic damage. zelda will probably not be on that top layer anyway though.
Luigis Mansion can ONLY limit pits arrows if you are on a higher platform or outside of the pillars. If you are inside the pillars then Pit will outcamp you. As I said you can only "attempt" to camp Pit if you are outside the pillars, for what its worth this isn't reliable in comparison to Pits arrows and if Pit wanted he could simply prevent camping with Dins Fire with his Mirror Shield.

I mentioned Uair because it means you cannot camp AT ALL if you are on an above platform. And what do you mean it is not a threatening platform poke? It's not going to kill you obviously but it will rack up damage and it will shield poke you unless perfect shielded, definitely not an advantages position for most characters let alone Zelda.

pit has a hard time KOing zelda in general there's no way that's true and then it's true that he doesn't ahve a hard time KOing her on mansion.
There is no way Pit has a hard time actually killing Zelda with a smash attack. Stop overrating her weight.

the stage limitations make it harder for you to approach zelda. seriously... tell me what you are going to do to approach her. what can you do? and pit's fsmash and Dsmash are not near as reliable for killing zelda as what zelda can do to pit.
Zelda will be made to approach if she is anywhere inside mansion. The only way Pit will have to approach is if he is inside the mansion beyond the pillars. Once Pit has to approach outside of the mansion you are taking away your acclaimed "advantage/method" of limiting his approach.

I've said why the stage helps zelda. you say "thanks to the stage limitations" but don't say how that actually helps pit. the stage limitations make it so pit can't camp near as well at all AND that his aerial game is far less effective.
Debunked in previous post.

pit has very few KO options compared to zelda.
Zelda has what? A Fsmash a Dsmash, Usmash and Utilt for killing, possibly Ftilt.

Pit has Dsmash, Fsmash, Ftilt, Bair and Glide Attack along with edgeguarding.

The mansion prevents Zelda's Usmash and UTilt from killing reliably which means you only have 3 reliable kill moves in mansion. In turn Mansion only limits Pit's Glide attack. I'm sure you can count which character has the most kill options.

could you say the same, or would your KO moves be decayed?
Yes I can say the same and honestly you aren't going to want to bring up decay on a stage that is easy to eliminate decay on :laugh:

you mean he has no problems with it, let alone against zelda? because you can bet your sweet booty that's a lie.
I mean he does not attack from above, what move is he going to do it with lol. This really leads me to belive you haven't been playing decent Pits if you think Pits generally attack from above. My sweet booty does not lie!

glide to try to sweetspot and we'll hit you. Din's, fsmash, usmash, hell even uair. we always have options to harm you out of your glide depending on your position.
Um... have you ever heard of flying low and sweetspotting the ledge from underneath it....

why are pit mains so obsessed with his little tricks? going undert he stage does not make the stage one of your best stages. it means you have a different option for recovery. whoop-de-do.
Have words in mouth syndrome or something don't ya? I have never said that because he can fly under Battlefield it makes it one of his best stages. It is just a plus to the stage. And really at what point do I seem obsessed with his "tricks?"

Zelda is beating you, she knocks you off the stage, you recover to the other side of the stage..... Zelda is still beating you. oh man... the advantage pit just gained there!
As you said it is a recovery option and is good for spacing. That is all. Stop trying to overglorify something I did not in an attempt to belittle my posts.

well that would be very useful if pit actually used the platforms to "excell at racking up damage" I fail to see how he's gaining any special sort of advantage due to battlefield's platforms.
I just explained it to you....

If you don't understand it then go watch a few Pit matches of some good players against any opposing character on Battlefield and you will see what I mean.

-dair-explain to me how you are hitting a zelda wo his grounded with dair and you win a cookie. if you can still do that when zelda is UNDER A PLATFORM which she's have to be for that argument to make sense and you get to keep the cookie.
SH Dair exists....( preferably chocolate chip please). Why would I be aiming to hit Zelda when she is underneath me where I am in danger of being hit but her Usmash/Utilt...etc I don't know why you think I would have to be over you to Dair you let alone be above a platform. (I'm keeping my cookie)

-dtilt-exactly when is pit going to get this off? he has to put himself in zelda's range, stop and then d-tilt. if he's that close unmolestled, zelda's dsmash will come out quicker and knock him away... and it's safe. if he's planing on rushing in with it. he'll have to catch zelda sipping tea or something.
What is the frame rate for Zelda's Dsmash anyway? Pit's Dtilt is a frame 6 move and his Dsmash is a frame 5 move which should suit your definition of fast enough since keep mentioning your "amazing" OoS frame 5 kick. Also "he has to put himself in Zelda's range?" wait a minue.....I thought you were approaching :laugh:

-Utilt- is an even worse idea. its range is attrocious so when you miss with it. which you will, you aren't even protected from zelda's retribution because it has such bad priority too.
:laugh: You don't know much about Utilt do you? It is his fastest tilt and has fast activation and cool down as well as good priority. And once again you aren't just going to be throwing it out like a blind person, chances are you aren't going to be punished much for it.

-Dthrow... so dthrow is pit's entire moveset huh?
Am I honestly supposed to reply to this?

and once he GETS me on a platform what's he going to do? at best he's geting one hit. his multi hit attacks are evn easier to DI out of with a platform between you so those are poor options and besides he pathetic utilt his options seem to be nair, uair, usmash and ... maybe an arrow if we are picking our noses.
Lol...If you can prove to me that you can DI out of his Uairs and Nairs after one hit which will elevate you off the platform when they start hitting you I will give YOU 2 cookies....:laugh:

every charcter can attack through platforms. SOME charcters actually do it well. pit is no better off with platforms than without judging by anything you've said.
If you say this you are either blind, have never played a good Pit, have never seen a video of a good Pit or anything of the like... Why do you even think stages like Norfair and BF are considered some of Pits best stages?

and besides, this is the ZELDA THREAD it's not my burden to explain to zelda mains exactly what zelda can do unless you give me a good reason to.
Lol... This is a matchup thread. you are SUPPOSED to be explaining exactly what Zelda mains can do in a matchup against Pit.

you explained nothing and still have explaind nothing as to why pit has any advantage here that zelda doesn't trump.
No...You have chosen not to accept anything I have told you because your mind is set in stone that Zelda has an advantage. I'm sure if you got non Pit/Zelda players to read each argument you would definitely be on the losing side here.

Nayru's is invincible from frame 5 I think, dsmash come out on frame 4, usmash 6 and dtilt about the same as dsmash I think... maybe it's 5 frames. regardless. at close range those moves are all that matter. at alonger distance she outranges your everything except maybe ftilt, which IS slow and not too threatening.
Nayru's is invincible from frame 5 I think, dsmash come out on frame 4, usmash 6 and dtilt about the same as dsmash I think... maybe it's 5 frames. Yea...get the frame rates, then we can talk.

at alonger distance she outranges your everything except maybe ftilt, which IS slow and not too threatening.
Been through this already and i'm not repeating myself.

it's never been difficult for me... and half the time I just smash the control stick randomly. regardless it's MUCH easier to escape than zelda's smashes which require concious and precise inpunts. hell.. half the time you escape pit's usmash without doing anything. the hits are separated by too many frames.
As I said in my post it depends on how you are hit with it. It's only really the last hit Pit wants/needs to hit with anyway.

it's not for Koing. it DOES KO, but it's primarily used to punish OoS and to stuff aerial aproaches. and it does that well.
Are you seriously telling me Usmash isn't used as a KO move.... Yes it can punish OoS well and stop aerial approaches but from the Zelda's i''ve played as well as the ones i've seen videos of it is also used as a KO move so don't go telling me its not.

excuse me? assuming perfect DI every time isn't thinking about how well people play them? that's just wrong. you assume smart DI, but you don't assume supercomputers are controlling your foes.
Please read my posts correctly before saying things like this. I said you will assume perfect DI ALMOST everytime since we are looking at CHARACTER comparisons not CHARACTER + PLAYER comparisons

i'm pretty sure that's not part of the common definition of "ground game" regardless, it's certainly not what I'm talkign about. argue symantics with me all you want it doesn't make pit any better at that aspect of the game
If you so choose to think it is not part of his "ground game" then feel free to that doesn't mean that it isn't. And saying that his Arrows don't make his ground game better is just silly.

Also up to now you still haven't mentioned a response as to what Zelda can do to a ledge camping Pit.....

and so they will.
Your turn babes ;)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
That's a lot of stuff I missed. Well even though I havent faced a Zelda in such a long time, I know much about the matchup, especially in Pit's view.

Now, the first thing I see in the matchup, BOTH characters have their own projectile and reflector. But I'm gonna skip to the other stuff.

Zelda is stronger, yes, and seemingly has more range than Pit, but she is lighter.

Zelda's U-tilt and Usmash are very powerful, and because of these moves, it would discourage a Pit from trying to approach a Zelda from above. In addition, the Din's Fire would discourage a Pit from Gliding. Like Bowser, Zelda's U-air is powerful and such. Okay lets just skip to what Pit has, because you need to know about this.

As a Pit mainer, and former Zelda user, yes, Zelda has a reflector against arrows, but Zelda's reflector makes her vulnerable to some other attack, like Pit's longest ranged moves, which are F-tilt and F-air.

Zelda would want her opponent in the air, but so does Pit. A Pit could simply use D-tilt or D-throw or U-throw (D-tilt is better imo) to launch Zelda in the air, then go for U-airs, and other great moves.
Zelda, should she get Pit in the air, she has her U-tilt, Usmash, and U-air. Both characters are VERY good in the air, and it's usually a race to whoever get who in the air first.

Now about recoveries.
We all know that Pit has a lot of recovery options. However, Din's Fire could clip Pit outta his Up-B or gliding at will. And if Pit does try to approach in the air, that would be a dangerous mistake. Pit would most likely be screwed if the Pit has to use Up-B.

For Zelda, her recovery is limited compared to many others, and is vulnerable to Pit's arrow gimping. Sometimes a Pit could just use F-airs, or edgehog Zelda if he can, but he can hurt Zelda's recovery more than Zelda can hurt Pit's recovery, mainly because of how Zelda has a limited recovery and because of her Up-B itself. Zelda's recovery is VERY predictable and could be punished greatly, especially with Pit's arrows being controllable.

For Zoning, Pit usually has SH N-airs, similar function that Zelda's N-air has, but more pressuring. Pit also has SH F-airs, though could be outprioritized by Zelda Fsmash.

Pit could ledgecamp against Zelda, though it wont be as easy at it would be considering the Din's fire and Reflector, but even then, a Pit could airdodge the Projectile.

Dont get me wrong Zelda Mains. Zelda is very good and can stop Pit from approaching from the air (though Pit is bad at that) and outranging him with long-lasting powerful moves, as well as gimp his recovery, and discouraging a Pit from gliding at all in the match.
However, Pit is much greater in the air than Zelda is, despite the lack of strong moves (except the Sweetspot B-air), great at pressuring especially with some of the slow moves Zelda has when they miss, can Gimp Zelda so easily (add that with Zelda's limited recovery), and has the D-tilt, which could give Pit an early lead since it can launch Zelda in the air. Plus some of those Long-lasting moves are punishable. Keep in mind that Zelda is also light (Pit is medium, heavier than Marth) and helps Pit KO quicker, so that Pit isnt the only one that would get KO'd fast.

If you ask me the matchup is in Pit's favor, but not by much. Im either going by 60-40 Pit or 55-45 Pit.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Wow! Everything's so heated! I think we're just gonna clash and get nowhere.
I just feel it's completely neutral, because both characters capitalise on different strengths.

From a Zelda perspective, I feel she is more punishing to Pit when he is in the air than vice versa. USmash and Uair outprioritise him, and they will keep him in the air. If he glides, he'll get a din's. Whereas Zelda, in the air, does have the option to use FW to warp passed Pit's uairs and land on the ground, in which case the tables would turn because now Pit's on top of Zelda and prone to her attacks :O

Dtilt hits on frame 5, has excellent range, and can trip and combo into ftilt, utilt, USmash and DSmash. The first 3 send him back in the air where Zelda wants him. The latter is deadly. It sets up a good gimping opportunity from the edge when he is around 70-100%, otherwise anything over that amount and he'll be KOd if it's kept fresh. It comes out on frame 4, will clash with the majority of Pit's ground-based moves, and normally win out. Its knockback from edge forces him to use his up b, where he is prone to being gimped, thanks to its trajectory.

Now in contrast, Pit can gimp her, but in my experience I find this only very dangerous when she is below ledge level because she'll normally angle FW wrongly due to the constant pressure from arrows. But I use her second jump or preferably a love jump to gain as much vertical momentum as possible straight away, which also reflects his arrows should pit use them right away. Recovering from higher allows me to airdodge arrows safely and FW during the arrow intervals, aiming for the ledge or warping back on stage depending on what Pit plans to do.

I feel both recoveries have advantages and disadvantages, and I'll accept that Zelda is just slightly easier to gimp than vice versa, but to balance it out, I feel Zelda is better on the ground and is anti-aerialist, cutting down a lot of what pit can do in the air. Pit is medium weight, but Zelda's great knockback balances that out, whereas Pit's knockback is weaker, but Zelda is lighter. I feel they average each other out in this respect.

Et Voila!

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I think this match is in Pit's favour, but not by a lot. 55-45 Pit or maybe even 60-40 Pit. Anything over that is a stretch...

This' from my own experience, tho =)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Zelda does better than Pit on the ground generally considering the power and range, plus the great U-air and Usmash.
Pit does exceptionally well in Air-to-air combat on the other hand, especially when his opponent is above him.

I think I said it before, but a smart Pit should know not to approach a Zelda from above, and vice versa.
Im probably going for 55-45 Pit's favor.

Basically if you ask me, whoever could get their opponent into the air has the advantage, unless the opponent knows how to avoid the moves and such.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I'm sticking to 50:50 through my own experience. I feel completely equal to a pit player and it's up to my skill to beat him, and vice versa =D

There are areas where they both excel, and they must capitalise on those areas!

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I say 50:50 as well. I think the reason the argument is heated is because both characters shine in completely different areas and the two sides don't really take the time to consider what the other has that is good...

And please, we need more cheeky sarcasm and useless remarks...

Coffee™

I need it....
For what its worth I think the match is 60:40 in Pits favor. However I don't intend to respond with any more walls of text, since they take too long to write.

Anyway Luigis Mansion is now a banned stage so.....yea

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
For what its worth I think the match is 60:40 in Pits favor. However I don't intend to respond with any more walls of text, since they take too long to write.

Anyway Luigis Mansion is now a banned stage so.....yea
not anywhere I've seen. I guess I don't regularly check such things though. it really shouldn't be.

and the walls of text have taken me away from important coursework hence my not replying to the last one. D:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I actualy only post walls of text when someone says something outrageous or they make me mad:). I think in most cases though, they are somewhat necessary.

Villi

Smash Lord
I think this match is pretty even to slightly in Pit's favore. I would say 55:45 Pit. Zelda has more range on the ground and faster air speed, but Pit has faster ground and attack speed overall.

Top Bottom