• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Matchup Thread // OUTDATED

-Mars-

Smash Hero
So I've noticed, which is why I've largely stopped contributing to this particular character board.
Nobody cares.

Also if the ratios are going to entirely reflect the opinions of the board only and if we are going off of recently, then all of Zeldas matchups would be disadvanataged to all of the characters above her. Some of the negativity around here could probably stand to be toned down a tad but whatever.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I've largely stopped contributing to this particular character board.
As have most competent players.

Nobody cares.
You mean you don't care.

Also if the ratios are going to entirely reflect the opinions of the board only and if we are going off of recently, then all of Zeldas matchups would be disadvanataged to all of the characters above her.
You are correct good sir! The only except are the Ice Climbers, which are more neutralish.

Some of the negativity around here could probably stand to be toned down a tad but whatever.
We're not being pessimists, we're being realists. Zelda sucks.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I for one don't want this board to turn into the Captain Falcon boards............but whatever.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ok maybe Zelda doesn't have matchups like we initially thought when we came out with the original matchup ratios........but I still don't think Kirby beats us, Zelda beat Icies, and she beats Fox.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ok maybe Zelda doesn't have matchups like we initially thought when we came out with the original matchup ratios........but I still don't think Kirby beats us, Zelda beat Icies, and she beats Fox.
Kirby I can see, but for the rest of them... how is Zelda supposed to approach in those match-ups?

In the case of fox, how is Zelda supposed to contain Fox?

Granted, Icies is more re-evaluation of of Icie's capabilities then Zelda's.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Kirby I can see, but for the rest of them... how is Zelda supposed to approach in those match-ups?

In the case of fox, how is Zelda supposed to contain Fox?

Granted, Icies is more re-evaluation of of Icie's capabilities then Zelda's.
You see Fox is actually a really intriguing matchup for me coming from Zelda's perspective. When you first look at it, it seems as if Fox would just get destroyed by Zelda. She has a huge range advantage on him, he's light(granted Fox will be killing her around the same time as she kills him), she can shut down all of his approaches etc.. But then you actually get in the match and Fox has an insane pressure game on her.

I think Zelda has to play the Fox matchup differently from the others. Of course she will be approaching the entire match.......but really how is that terrible for her? You get into that fsmash/dtilt range and Fox is forced to either run away or reset the spacing. he has a good close range game, but he can't really do anything to Zelda at that mid-range unless she whiffs on something because she was baited.

When she's in that mid-range zone she has Fox in a bad position. He really can't approach safely with anything and he always has to be weary of an IDA or an fsmash. The thing is you can't just throw smashes out there at will because one whiff and Fox will hit you with a dair and it costs you 25%.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Yeah yaaay you're correct... the OP of this thread is going to get a complete overhaul now that we're doing re-discussions as well. The matchup chart is totally out-of-date.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303

Still working on this chart, but this is the general gist of it.
That mostly looks pretty good to me, but there are a couple of things I'd like to ask about it:

- I thought that we soft countered King Dedede, mainly because he's such a huge target for lightning kicks. The D3 boards list it as 60:40 for Zelda IIRC.

- I thought the ZSS vs Zelda matchup was more like 35:65 ZSS' favour, but maybe that's just me...

- IMO, the Peach matchup isn't that bad. 40:60 or 45:55 seems more realistic.

Other than those, the list looks reasonably accurate.

MrEh

Smash Hero
- I thought that we soft countered King Dedede, mainly because he's such a huge target for lightning kicks. The D3 boards list it as 60:40 for Zelda IIRC.
The only reason why the Dedede boards think that they are soft countered is because they're big and have no chaingrab. However, how many Dedede players have played a competent Zelda? Chances are, very few. The matchup is probably 60-40 if the Dedede player has never played Zelda enough.

Once you play the matchup a lot, it becomes way more even. This is the case with most of Zelda's matchups, because her playstyle is so predictable and her nonexistant aerial range makes Dedede laugh. It gets to the point where Dedede even has a slight advantage. Dedede can just shieldgrab Zelda all day, beat the unholy crap out of her in the air, and edgeguard her hard. The fact that Dedede has more range and hits like a truck also helps. The matchup is still neutral though.

As for ZSS, eh. It's ZSS. lol

As for Peach, the matchup is indeed that bad. Peach forces an approach, has a superior airgame then Zelda, and all sorts of other fun things to screw with her. It might be arguable for 40-60 (personally, I think it's 35-65), but 45-55? No way.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lucario and Luigi should be switched to 40. Fox and Kirby should be changed to even. We had Dark Peach even come in here and say that the Peach matchup wasn't that bad(he's even used both characters in tournament), but I guess his opinion doesn't matter so so be it.

MrEh

Smash Hero
We had Dark Peach even come in here and say that the Peach matchup wasn't that bad(he's even used both characters in tournament), but I guess his opinion doesn't matter so so be it.
Dark Peach only uses Zelda against players he knows he can win against. He will always use Peach first, and then use Zelda to clean up if he knows he can win. If he only uses Zelda against players who he knows that he has a guaranteed win on, it's no wonder his opinion is a bit skewed.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
What does that have to do with his opinion of the matchup? He is a top Peach player saying that the matchup isn't that bad. If NinjaLink were to come in here and say the matchup wasn't that bad everyone would get down on there knees and bow to him<_<.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Toon Link's are discussing Zelda stage counterpicks and bans!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209912

It'll only take like 2-3 minutes. Just post what you think is a good/ bad stage for Zelda (against Toon Link) and why.
It can be like one sentence or something. Just put some amount of an explanation please. ^_^

Zelda Zelda hoo

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
What does that have to do with his opinion of the matchup? He is a top Peach player saying that the matchup isn't that bad. If NinjaLink were to come in here and say the matchup wasn't that bad everyone would get down on there knees and bow to him<_<.
It's called fawning & seeing as certain people base this on 2 players, well......

How about trying things yourself or finding strategies that work instead of deciding matchup numbers based on something you don't even do?

(Not directed at anyone in particular)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
It's called fawning & seeing as certain people base this on 2 players, well......

How about trying things yourself or finding strategies that work instead of deciding matchup numbers based on something you don't even do?

(Not directed at anyone in particular)
well the last thing we need is for every n00b and his mother to say how much the maychup can change once you grab a smashball.

But, as is normally the case, neither extreme is preferable.

Regardless. I've played Peach vs. Zelda a lot. Even against good peaches, the matchup seems very winnable. Just clearly disadvantageous.... which is pretty much a dead-on description for a 60:40

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Alright... time to de-sticky this thread and put up the more streamlined one.

I think we all need to thank Royal for making this though.I've linked it to the directory thread so it won't be forgotten.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
*plays revele for thread*

*has a moment of silence*

I loved this thread.....some really good times/arguments/moments/debates in here.

Top Bottom