• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Your experience at MLG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Guys this thread isn't really for a debate. I just wanna hear your personal experiences. This includes who you lost to/why/how your sets went in addition to your overall experience. We are getting way to off topic.

King~

Smash Champion
i had fun likes usual, almost lost my voice

just the standard complaints that everyone else has made(chairs, AC mostly)

also even though i didnt get upset about it some people would get heated over it, and understood that it was a MW tourney and expected to play someone from the MW. i shouldnt have had to play KB first round of winners, but there was nothing that could be done about that. just saying i wish it where a regionally seeded a bit better.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Oh, you know I didnt even mention my sets with Judo, DEHF, and Big Lou.

Judo: Really super hard to play, I loved the matchup experience, first time I played a good shiek player. I almost lost to him on all three games, it was so close. I really wish I didnt have to face him first round, but he prepared me really well for what was to come.

DEHF: Honestly, I think he was off his game, didn't seem like he was taking me seriously until BF, where he three-stocked me, but seriously, my john for that was that he CG'd me the whole game and I kinda lost momentum the minute we went to BF. I dont like facing Falco there. He SD'd once on Halberd second stock I think, and I 2-stocked him there, and then on Brinstar, it was super close but do note that we were both at 11X's, and I think if he had been a bit more patient getting back up from ledges I wouldn't have saw the opportunity to edgeguard him with F-tilt. He got up and got smacked by it's extended hitbox on the vine.

Big Lou: Just like Judo, this match was really close on the last two games. FD, first game, I jv 2'd him, which was a relief because I know I do well against Luigi on bigger stages. Somehow, second game on YI went really close and he killed me instantly with upsmash on the last stock. And then third game on SV was in my favor by like 40 percent for the whole last stock, until I got an angled up foward smash chop up my *** at 73 percent and I died somehow... I believe it was from me hitting up on the cstick, I was right in the middle of the stage too...

Overall I had a lot of fun with the matches I did play.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I don't remember who I faced first round but it was a pretty good Toon Link. I went Ice Climbers and after that match I decided the IC's weren't my character. So I played Diddy Kong all night to get my skill back with him.

I faced Auspr in my losers bracket round, I 2-stocked him first round. Then in between every game someone was whispering in his ear telling him out to shut down Diddy. He 1-stocked me with 8% 2nd game on Picto and then he won last hit with us both in the mid-100's on BF.

I honestly think I would have won had he not been getting coached and given tips the whole time.

JayFizzy

Smash Cadet
"MLG was quite the interesting trip, might as well recap about it.

The original plans were simple - we had secured a van with Keitaro, myself, Vex, Xzax, Seph, Xionix, Nasty, and Malcom."
-chibosempai

it would be keitaro, me, vex etc. Not myself. If you say myself please know when and how to use it so you don't sound like someone who thinks he's smart but isn't.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
"MLG was quite the interesting trip, might as well recap about it.

The original plans were simple - we had secured a van with Keitaro, myself, Vex, Xzax, Seph, Xionix, Nasty, and Malcom."
-chibosempai

it would be keitaro, me, vex etc. Not myself. If you say myself please know when and how to use it so you don't sound like someone who thinks he's smart but isn't.
schools out bro

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ChiboSempai said:
MLG was quite the interesting trip, might as well recap about it.

The original plans were simple - we had secured a van with Keitaro, myself, Vex, Xzax, Seph, Xionix, Nasty, and Malcom.
It would be Keitaro, me, Vex etc.; not "myself". If you say myself please know when and how to use it so you don't sound like someone who thinks he's smart but isn't.
Fixed your grammar mistakes, noob.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I wasn't worried about that. I was annoyed by an idiot who did a hypercorrection to seem like he was smarter.
Fixed. "About" doesn't work there, and hypercorrection is one word. Why use big words you can't even use properly just to sound smarter? You could have just rephased it to something simpler.

Yeah, this is kind of stupid, isn't it?

Sharky

Smash Master
\

Perhaps MLG could allow a separate section (or at least row of tables) where people could bring their own setups for warm-ups and friendlies? I'm sure they could have been lined up against the back wall or something, and as the tourney matches weren't being played on those tv's it wouldn't really make MLG look bad or anything, it would show that they are accomodating the needs of the players but in a way that doesn't cost them anything. If MLG is afraid of liability for hacked wii's then they can just ban that stuff, but again, nothing tournament-related would be played on these set-ups. To prevent theft you could make stickers or tags to put on the wii's and TV's or even mark the discs if need be with numbers which would be registered and given to security up front. If someone tried to leave with something that wasn't registered with them, they would get busted.
what are people's thoughts on this?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I had a blast at MLG, but would have to give some criticism as well.

For one, the lag on the TVs hurt me pretty bad. I feel as though game one of my first round set I messed up a game winning fart due to the lag. I'd like to believe that this was my own fault, but after replaying it over and over in my head and hearing stories from people like Malcolm who had similar issues, I can't help but think that the lag messed me up. I could also barely play Marth, my main, on the TV. I felt considerably slow and couldn't move as freely =/ Especially in matchups where I need to play quickly, like against ZSS.

I also did not like the attitude of one particular staff member. A woman, who was being particularly hostile. During friendlies she asked me if I was playing, I said no, and she asked me to get behind to line. Okay, whatever. Then I started a match and when she came back around, she gave me even more of an attitude. When I told her I was playing, she hassled me about it still. I was not in a good mood, tbh, so I held up my controller and showed her "Look, see me dashing?! I'm playing!" I then tried to explain to her that she needed an attitude adjustment, where she told me "I'm here to do a job, you guys are here to play games." Thankfully, after Junk and I talking to AZ the situation seemed to resolve itself. I was not in the mood for this at the time, just having lost in doubles, and it really discouraged me from playing any more friendlies.

Other than that, MLG was an absolute BLAST. West Coast, East Coast, Midwest, South, everyone coming together and showing other communities how much we care about this game. The hype was amazing, it might have made me play better. It was also well run and I would like to point out that Dazwa in particular was putting in a lot of work and should be commended for doing such an excellent job. That's not to say that Pierce and Jake weren't doing great jobs as well, they most certainly were. I hope to see them as refs in the future.

Can't wait for Raleigh, hope I can make it

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
That last post reminded me of something I felt that I should make note of.

one small thing that i didnt think was handled correctly, was the double blind system.

I only called a double blind in one of my matches, because me and my opponene got into the dancing around the char. select screen trying to CP each other game. So i called Pierce in for a double blind, at which point he just said 'both of you pick your characters. 3, 2, 1, Go." and we were supposed to pick at the same time. I was caught off guard by this and ended up picking slower than my opponent. It wasnt a big deal at the time, but it seems like it would be to manipulate that system.

What my region uses and what I feel to be a far more effective double blind system, is that player 1, tells the ref, with out the opponent hearing, what character hes going for game 1. the opponent then picks their character, and than player 1 must choose the character that he told the ref. this eliminates some minor problems with the system that was used, and still keeps everything fair. Not to mention it seems a lot more professional in my eyes.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion

one small thing that i didnt think was handled correctly, was the double blind system.

I only called a double blind in one of my matches, because me and my opponene got into the dancing around the char. select screen trying to CP each other game. So i called Pierce in for a double blind, at which point he just said 'both of you pick your characters. 3, 2, 1, Go." and we were supposed to pick at the same time. I was caught off guard by this and ended up picking slower than my opponent. It wasnt a big deal at the time, but you can see how easy it would be to manipulate that system.

What my region uses and what I feel to be a far more effective double blind system, is that player 1, tells the ref, with out the opponent hearing, what character hes going for game 1. the opponent then picks their character, and than player 1 must choose the character that he told the ref. this eliminates some minor problems with the system that was used, and still keeps everything fair. Not to mention it seems a lot more professional in my eyes.
That's always how I do double blinds, and how Jake did ours for doubles O.o

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
That's always how I do double blinds, and how Jake did ours for doubles O.o
Same.

I think I'm gonna start typing up my story tonight, and then hopefully finish the rest of it tomorrow. Wish me luck, everyone >_>

It was also well run and I would like to point out that Dazwa in particular was putting in a lot of work and should be commended for doing such an excellent job.
<3

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.

I only called a double blind in one of my matches, because me and my opponene got into the dancing around the char. select screen trying to CP each other game. So i called Pierce in for a double blind, at which point he just said 'both of you pick your characters. 3, 2, 1, Go." and we were supposed to pick at the same time. I was caught off guard by this and ended up picking slower than my opponent. It wasnt a big deal at the time, but it seems like it would be to manipulate that system.

That's how Solid Jake did all of my blind picks, and that's the only way that they should be done. I'm not sure why anyone would have done it the way that you described Pierce doing it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If Pierce did that, that was stupid. Don't let refs do stupid things, even if 99.9% of their other actions are smart.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I dont think it really affected anything, but it could have and im sure you want to cut down as many chances of that happening as possible. and add to the professionalism and such.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Kiest: For Smash next tournament I will have up a list that says what place you got based on what round you lost in. As for why there is no bracket image: MLG uses an excel file with...rather complicated stuff on it. None of the MLG Tournament Directors actually have a bracket to look at, which makes the "what round did I lose in" hard to answer off the top of your head, or "who do I play next". This is also a problem at the info booth, because excel (for some stupid reason) doesn't let you ctrl+f something in an algorithm (in other words if the cell says =F7'brawl 1v1' or something, and that cell then fills in with "keist" (taking the name from another field) when you ctrl+f the function only sees "F7'brawl 1v1', not "keist". That makes answering the question "who do I play next" or "when do I play" or any question that involves finding your name extremely tedious, which is why we have the info booth because I would not be able to run the tournament if I had to answer those questions from 250 people.
AZ, just a heads-up, but you can get around this by copying everything on to a different place/sheet in the file, but instead of directly pasting it right-clicking, clicking "Paste Special", selecting "values", and pasting. That makes Excel get rid of all the formatting and reading only what's actually being displayed in the cells. Obviously you'd have to copy/paste special every time someone asks for information (unless you havent updated since the last time someone asked), but it's a hell of a lot better than checking the whole file manually.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
AZ, just a heads-up, but you can get around this by copying everything on to a different place/sheet in the file, but instead of directly pasting it right-clicking, clicking "Paste Special", selecting "values", and pasting. That makes Excel get rid of all the formatting and reading only what's actually being displayed in the cells. Obviously you'd have to copy/paste special every time someone asks for information (unless you havent updated since the last time someone asked), but it's a hell of a lot better than checking the whole file manually.
^^ This.

So from what I understand, the TO's (or Tournament Directors... whatever MLG calls you AZ) don't actually have a bracket, but use a excel sheet to do the bracket (which is what I use to do for my house tekken tournaments about 8 years ago). So my question is: Who actually puts the brackets up on the MLG site?

My initial guess is that it is done sometime during the tournament (maybe once-three times a day). But even seeing that image, would be enough to figure out where one would be placing in a match or who they would be up against, even if it wasn't complete (if you are a player that doesn't know, ask an experienced TO, there are prolly 1 TO for every 8-9 players... at least in Ohio... :p )

Again a lot of these little bad things do add up in the long run, but the other little things they did to add to the event (stages, free stuff, refs in uniform, hot pockets being delivered to you during finals, etc) ended up outweighing the bad parts.
But as you already know, AZ, no tourney is perfect and there is always room for improvement. Hopefully, MLG will let you have a little more control at Raleigh since Smash is bringing in the numbers (assuming you are still running it.... I don't recall if you ran it at Orlando)

Crow!

Smash Lord
So, I went to The Showdown this weekend. I'd estimate I spent about 55% of my time at the venue actually playing Smash and about 40% watching it (less playing time on day 2 since I didn't get in the bracket, more on day 1). With ~18 hours at the venue, and assuming 6 minutes per game on average, that comes out to ~100 games played. I believe ~35 of those games were tournament-relevant, despite my poor performance (yay pools!).

So I can compare in case I in the future need to decide betwen traveling to a regional event or to an MLG event, how many games did you all play at MLG?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
MLG events are flat out the worst possible events you could ever go to if you want to play smash. If you want to COMPETE in smash, MLG events are the best possible events you could go to.

Depending on your level of energy and connections in the smash community, playing smash in the hotels at MLG can be rewarding due to the high level of skill and variety of players, but that is no guarantee.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

What the hell?! That is 100% untrue. I have, and never would use a system this stupid. I use the same system everyone uses, which is the system you described.

Perhaps you misunderstood. I often know the characters your opponent plans on choosing, and perhaps I asked him if he was going to choose his standard character, and then told you to go ahead and select your character. I most certainly DID NOT count down 3, 2, 1, GO! That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.

You can ask other people who I referred that called for a double blind if this is true.

Jem.

Smash Master
Pierce is correct. When Rich Brown and I played Mekos and Boss in doubles, he had Boss and Mekos whisper their characters to him, had us pick, and then had boss and mekos pick, making sure they stood true to what they told him.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
well, If i was just being stupid and not paying attention to what was going on outside the character select screen, that was my bad, the only other person that was there to know what happened was MVD. Doesnt matter. If everyone is doing it right that no harm no foul

RATED

Smash Lord
lol you guys travel to play on TVs with lag? wth even if not MLG's fault since most probably the TV's manufacturer company is helping "sponsoring"those events.

I am thinking to save some money to go to "cataclysm"or a name like that. since its december.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
while i was waiting for my opponent, there was a set next to me where someone used ness vs PT and the PT used a GR CG on Ness. Charizard took a small step before each regrab. The crowd called a ref over, and he said it was legit since he moved forward.

He allowed it since it wasnt standing
Charizard doesn't have an infinite. What he was doing is a standing chaingrab, but Charizard happens to inch forward a bit every time, just because of where he grabs Ness. Also, as long as Lucas holds away from Charizard, Charizard only has grab-release D-Tilt on him, and not a chaingrab.

Masky

Smash Master
Charizard doesn't have an infinite. What he was doing is a standing chaingrab, but Charizard happens to inch forward a bit every time, just because of where he grabs Ness. Also, as long as Lucas holds away from Charizard, Charizard only has grab-release D-Tilt on him, and not a chaingrab.
Marth also moves forward when he releases Ness if Ness DIs away. It appears MLG is not aware of this fact, however

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom