• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Your experience at MLG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
My experience was great.

This national tourney was more like a gaming version of a big family reunion where we can just kick back and have some fun. The only thing I didn't like about it is that we couldn't really play friendlies during the torunament matches. Which I understand I suppose.

I agree with YO above me. It was REALLY cold in there and there weren't nearly enough chair and my legs were starting to cramp bigtime. lol

Overall, this tourney was a hell of a lot of fun and hope to go to another one. :)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yo: yea the phone was returned but I forget to who. Also we were 3 for 3 this time in controllers being lost and returned, bringing out 2 event total to 7/9. Not to bad.

Dwoobie

Smash Cadet
I think a lot of the factors like commentators and stage sizes have to do with the fact that Sony and other companies cooperate with MLG, where as Nintendo just ignores them. I know that MLG would love to live stream the Smash matches, but they just don't have the rights.

By the way, who do you main? Assuming that avatar is of you, I definitely played a friendly against ya.
thats understandable. i didnt see any wii symbols on the stations for brawl but saw 360 and ps3 ones on the halo and tekken station signs.
hehe i main DDD and my tag was JIM. i wore the same green bass pro hat on day 1 that i have in the avatar pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_its_YO

I had to play Meep first round whos not only MD/VA but lives in the same city as myself. It was a disappointment to drive 9hrs to face him and not someone out of my region. I know many other players experienced this but i guess it could not be avoided.
i played my buddy round 1 who ive been playing against for the past like 3 months who came down with me. but im sure its all by random seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPat

tl;dr it would have been nice knowing even a tentative time you planned on having doubles sign-ups.

i remember hearing on the loud speakers everyone could sign up for doubles after 3pm on saturday

Dwoobie

Smash Cadet
I had to play Meep first round whos not only MD/VA but lives in the same city as myself. It was a disappointment to drive 9hrs to face him and not someone out of my region. I know many other players experienced this but i guess it could not be avoided.
i played my buddy round 1 who ive been playing against for the past like 3 months who came down with me. but im sure its all by random seeds

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Why isn't MLG using some of the good brawl TO's to do seeding and run the tournies? It seems a lot better than what you guys are doing. There's also no reason for what happened to krstydez to go down at all. Also just out of curiosity is there a round time limit? That seems as though it would cut down on a lot of the problems also.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I don't see what the big deal about Krys is, he didn't show up to the station for a while. I was actually next to Sky as he was waiting and Krys being called out. If he doesn't show up he doesn't show up.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I don't see what the big deal about Krys is, he didn't show up to the station for a while. I was actually next to Sky as he was waiting and Krys being called out. If he doesn't show up he doesn't show up.
What's a while? Did you look at the times? Do you remember the stuff as well as Krystedez did? He did show up followed the rules and got DQ'd because someone gave him the wrong time and said his match ended at the wrong time. That sounds pretty messed up to me. As well as the chance of him losing to his opponent were very low.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I don't have the exact times memorized nor do I know the exact situation, I just know about him being called to a station and didnt show up. Did the info desk give him the wrong time? That's mad lame.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
They keep it cold in the venue so it forces people to buy MLG embroidered hoodies!
lmfao oh my god I know. I froze my *** off that entire time, hahahaha.

Also, regarding people getting DQ'd for not showing up on time-- they were saying "arrive 1 hour early" every 2 seconds. They said it before any matches started and repeated it several times constantly throughout the day.

If someone was told to arrive at 12:00pm and they didn't try to get there at 11:00am, then it's their own fault.

There's no way around that.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I don't have the exact times memorized nor do I know the exact situation, I just know about him being called to a station and didnt show up. Did the info desk give him the wrong time? That's mad lame.
So you didn't read his post don't know the situation and are just stating your opinion. I see that makes perfect sense.

ook

Smash Lord
One thing I'd like to bring up is the Infinite Grab Release on Ness and Lucas. Although Marth's version of it was banned from the tournament, Donkey Kong's is not. One of the Lucas mains in the Lucas MLG Rep Thread
With DK's, ness/lucas can DI behind him or in front (or, if DK doesn't turn around, you can just DI away out of range). So he has to read your DI every time.
I don't see how Cheese could have done the infinite to beat you guys O.o
unless you weren't DI'ing or cheese just has insanely good reaction time

Also, maybe it was cause I was wearing sweatpants, but I LOOOOOOOVED the temperature in the venue. It was such a nice break from all the hot sweaty tournaments.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
So you didn't read his post don't know the situation and are just stating your opinion. I see that makes perfect sense.
no lol sry

i just said what i thought from what i saw at the venue

but yea as MMM said, they drilled the one hour early concept into our heads

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
no lol sry

i just said what i thought from what i saw at the venue

but yea as MMM said, they drilled the one hour early concept into our heads
Even if they drilled the one hour concept early into your head there's still things people need to take care of in between rounds to be able to continue to play at a top shape throughout the course of a tournament. Long tournies such as these are physical and mentally draining. Just warning a player to show up an hour in advance isn't enough. Then deem it there fault for not being there. However, like I said earlier round like would put an end to the confusion. 40 minutes per round should be enough. Assuming of course you have enough stations to have everyone play if not. Then split up but still have the 40 minute limit. Don't allow anyone to play until the 40 minutes are up since it just throws the order off and adds more to confusion. Also have a place that will show match times and station and not just an info desk, giving a hour warning and saying tenative scheduling would all make things run smother. You should be able to get round times at more than one place.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Tournament Attendance 101: Don't leave the venue. Starve if you need to.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
The big deal is the tentative schedule bull crap that was happening. You don't have to agree with me, all I am doing is being brutally honest and showing exactly what happened. If you can't understand, how I could I possibly expect you to see my point?

And on that note I want to say that overall the information desk near the entrance was very helpful in addressing bracket concerns and times; the only problem was that the brackets themselves were being sent by the team up by the actual games. That is a long line of information travel, and I didn't expect everything to be perfect. But the way the information was administered before it got to info desk, let alone the players, wasn't done in a timely fashion nor was everything formally addressed in the tournament thread like a tentative schedule.

IMO, if it aint in the thread, it's dead.

and lol @ OS, I'm gunna be like Ally/M2K/otherprosIseendothis and powernap right next to the tournament desk so I can avoid hunger and boredom while waiting hours for my match! No, really!

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
With DK's, ness/lucas can DI behind him or in front (or, if DK doesn't turn around, you can just DI away out of range). So he has to read your DI every time.
I don't see how Cheese could have done the infinite to beat you guys O.o
unless you weren't DI'ing or cheese just has insanely good reaction time

Also, maybe it was cause I was wearing sweatpants, but I LOOOOOOOVED the temperature in the venue. It was such a nice break from all the hot sweaty tournaments.
Ook, the actual release animation is 40 frames long. If you can't read DI in that time you have SLOOOW reaction time.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Also, regarding people getting DQ'd for not showing up on time-- they were saying "arrive 1 hour early" every 2 seconds. They said it before any matches started and repeated it several times constantly throughout the day.

If someone was told to arrive at 12:00pm and they didn't try to get there at 11:00am, then it's their own fault.

There's no way around that.
First off, they did not start saying "arrive 1 hour early" every announcement even until Saturday, and if/when they did on Friday, they were impossible to hear over the other announcer if I was even there in the corner. If I was not playing a match, I was checking the info desk, not listening to AZ yell out matches for the next hour.

I was there from the time I finished my match with DEHF (Before 10 PM???) until 10:40. I asked right then and there when round 3 was going to begin, just so I could make sure to be back in time for it. They said they still wouldn't start until 11:30. So I departed to get a drink because I was tired, and would be on my way back in 15-20 minutes. When Day called me, It was 11:04 and I was on my way down anyways, so I had made it back in less time than I thought, right at 11:06.

Every time I left like this, I would double check and even tell AZ I would be right back (I did that when I was waiting for my match before at least). If he didn't hear me or I didn't say it loud enough, I don't know about that then.

I don't get how tentative scheduling means you can just reschedule not even 5 minutes after a person asks you when a match is, especially if it was almost a full hour before I asked. I was there an hour early. Matches looked full, stations were still filled.

Anyways I'm done ranting about it maybe? I'm just stating my points.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
They keep it cold in the venue so it forces people to buy MLG embroidered hoodies!
I'm pretty sure by now MLG knows some of the contestants/spectators that they will be dealing with; thus it is decently cold in there. I'd rather have that then boiling heat and sweating kids that probably haven't showered.

I didn't think it was cold to be honest, very comfortable. But I'm from Michigan, where the weather forces you to adapt constantly.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Doesn't Charizard have an infinite standing grab release on the Mother Brothers as well?
while i was waiting for my opponent, there was a set next to me where someone used ness vs PT and the PT used a GR CG on Ness. Charizard took a small step before each regrab. The crowd called a ref over, and he said it was legit since he moved forward.

He allowed it since it wasnt standing

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
Two questions:

When was the earliest "be here 1 hour before your match is scheduled to begin" announcement? I heard it enough times on Saturday, but only twice on Friday (during round 3, after Krystedez's DQ, & right when the venue was closing down).

Can they split the announcements for Brawl and Tekken better? It wasn't always noted what game the round "X" announcements were for. The same mic & speakers were used to announce for everything, and until you either recognized the announcer's voice or names being called, it wasn't always simple to know if it was important to be listening in (even while near the stations). Also, some DQ warning announcements were mixed in with announcements for Tekken bracket matches.

Overall, I enjoyed it, even though I was limited to spectating. Great event, as expected.

Xyless

Smash Master
I agree with Oranos. I got really confused with the Tekken/Brawl announcements, since the voices sounded similar and they were coming from the same place.

Sharky

Smash Master
regarding doubles set-ups, if you just separated the tables that were connected to each other by a few feet then you'd instantly have more seating space.

I notice a lot of talk about getting heats and rounds done on time, yet complaints about people's matches being called earlier than scheduled. These two don't make much sense in tandem.

The guy who made the VGA suggestion to eliminate the lag has a good idea, I hope MLG jots that down.

Lack of friendlies was really annoying, as many people (myself included) were stuck waiting around at the venue for hours just to play one set. Warm-ups at the beginning of the day just didn't cut it when you weren't even scheduled to play until 3 hours later, yet couldn't just come down later because you were afraid of being DQ'd.

Perhaps MLG could allow a separate section (or at least row of tables) where people could bring their own setups for warm-ups and friendlies? I'm sure they could have been lined up against the back wall or something, and as the tourney matches weren't being played on those tv's it wouldn't really make MLG look bad or anything, it would show that they are accomodating the needs of the players but in a way that doesn't cost them anything. If MLG is afraid of liability for hacked wii's then they can just ban that stuff, but again, nothing tournament-related would be played on these set-ups. To prevent theft you could make stickers or tags to put on the wii's and TV's or even mark the discs if need be with numbers which would be registered and given to security up front. If someone tried to leave with something that wasn't registered with them, they would get busted.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Those VGA cables have not solved the lag issue for me, I have the same ones and still have minimal lag

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Tournament Hosting 101: Brawl tournies are hosted very poorly if you can't even eat in between rounds =/.
There was a restaurant right outside the door, free hot pockets, free dr pepper, free doritos, free beef jerky, and even free gum for ultimate freshness. =P

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Eating a hardy, freshly cooked meal is kinda important OS. It means the difference between playing at top form and just not caring

i can vouch for that since i left the venue to pick up some food, and did waay better in friendlies when i came back

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I want to make fun of you for saying a hardy freshly cooked meal when "going to eat" involves "where is McDonalds" for most players... and there was a restaraunt making food right outside the venue XD

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
i did go to that on day 2, didnt like the food. Especially since the pizza was under a heat lamp.....

Try harder to troll me please

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'll request that MLG bring a full-time Mom on staff to make you lunch

Kaila

MLG That Bracket Girl that makes cookies <font col
Eating a hardy, freshly cooked meal is kinda important OS. It means the difference between playing at top form and just not caring

i can vouch for that since i left the venue to pick up some food, and did waay better in friendlies when i came back
I bet I had to follow a worse schedule than you did.

It isn't impossible to get out and get some food. When I was a non-staff member, they only had gum being passed around. I would bring my own snacks to eat during the lulls. If food was that important to you, you could have found a way to make due. Quit making Johns.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
*high fives tanooki*

One day, I'll be able to go to the staff party

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
for me food wasnt the problem, I just went to get a caffenated drink that my dad could make that would super charge me :D

...boy did I get supercharged D:

oh and dont mention dr pepper. I almost got sick from drinking half a can of that... I can't drink it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom