• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

you guys need to drop the manlyness agenda

iDoLiZeD

Smash Cadet
I agree with everyone

However,
(ALL MY OWN OPINION)
Being flashy has been apart of smash since..forever.
Being flashy doesn't mean you are bad.
Being flashy does not mean you will lose.
Being flashy gives you rep, its fun and pleases the crowd and embarrasses your opponent.

Why should people "drop the manly agenda" ??
Does it effect you personally?

If people to choose to ignore the obvious, like playing "smarter", then let them.
Stating the obvious won't change anything.

Flame me if you want??

S.G.

Smash Journeyman
How is falcon's manlyness agenda different then the excessive forward smashes and comboes that Shiz does with Falco?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
to all falcon players including myself this is the advice i can give i guess:

sometimes going for that extra hit or extended combo is not worth it... you're not going to be the next falcon superstar because you did a sweet *** combo.

you're going to be the next falcon superstar by winning a **** tournament, if there are **** combos from the beginning to the end then so be it. but primarily the goal is winning not crowd pleasing.

most amateur level falcon players focus on crowd pleasing. it's bc that's the kind of character falcon is and IMO it's the only reason he's ever been played at tournament. he is the luckiest and randomest viable character there is but also one of the coolest.

he's got this sex appeal you can't deny.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I actually was thinking the same thing, but I have a habit of multi moonwalking and taunting for no reason. oh, and bing out of shield. YESZ!

Isai didn't play manly guys. Play like your creator.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
thats why i use falcon as a secondary in friendlies is like a win win.
If i get off then its like 'omg im gettign off with falcon **** in mah pants"
if i lose then its like "meh u beat my secondary...*switch to fox/falco* now lets see whats up"

falcon is bad if u actually wanna win or something

`DNS`

Smash Lord
I actually was thinking the same thing, but I have a habit of multi moonwalking and taunting for no reason. oh, and bing out of shield. YESZ!

Isai didn't play manly guys. Play like your creator.
yeah when i use falco i just spam lasers and when they get close i doubleshine and run away LOL

Abstract

Smash Cadet
i believe Scar 4 Stocked you sir? and Keyword "manly"? Yo let me know when you get out of High School first HAX.(lol)kids these days and stating the obvious...if your falcon is legit you will know for sure.your telling Men to man up?i dont like the sound of that...

wait till this boys sweet 16 he gonna be sooooooooooooooo good.

* Dumb thing to say *

Zengar

Smash Cadet
I can see where Hax is going with this, and agree that Falcon mains should focus more on efficient and smarter play. Mango is the best example atm, look how he completely shuts down Zhu's Falco.

However, it's hard NOT to seem manly with Falcon, and basically the better you are, the manlier you're Falcon is gonna be.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
being flashy is just an excuse so when you lose you can say that u were sandbaggin.
but theres a chance that you win and then it becomes utter ****.
so if u dont care about the money.
its a win win loooooooooooooool.

Abstract

Smash Cadet
Smarter play = higher placing in tourneys, smashfest ect..

Manliness(flashy)= Johns and all type of ****

At least Hax is one of the Falcons that's trying to further his game, i believe he want's to be a TOP professional; not just professional (correct me if i'm wrong)

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Yo, Hax! Your Falcon is manly and all, and I'mma let you finish, but Falcon Punch edgeguarding is a serious mindgame/psychological blow to your opponent.

Well, enough memes, what I REALLY feel is that sure, you won't place high with flashy falcons, and safer falcons do = better falcons, but everyone around you gets like, "OMG PACK IT UP AND TAKE IT TO SCHOOL/HAPPY FEET! THAT AINT FALCO/OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG" when you do something like that and whats a little manliness in a tourney once in a while, eh?

Abstract

Smash Cadet
Idea,why don't we just make a list find out how to fnd out their styles
SS,Darkrain,Isai...etc.

* What situtation do they wavedash in *

* How they Shffle, SS seems to wait i think its just me *

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
This is what I've been saying for a while, and really it's the result of a peach player playing falcon
why do uthrow nair uair knee when I could uthrow techchase dropzone or dthrow tech chase them simply for grabs
I've been trying to do more falcon combos, but I think I'll just play gayer now

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
Why does everyone care so much about winning all the time? Maybe playing gayer will get you more victories but who here plays smash just to win? You might as well be doing school work or doing your job if you just want to do it in the most efficient way. I play to have fun, and that doesn't mean I have to win. I'm not saying I'm a loser and try to falcon punch all the time but if you want to play efficiently and tech chase the whole game go play Sheik or something.

Moooose

Smash Champion
lol
the point of going to tournaments is to try to win
the best games are between two people who are trying their utmost to win,not between two people who are showing off

tubes

Smash Ace
This is what I've been saying for a while, and really it's the result of a peach player playing falcon
why do uthrow nair uair knee when I could uthrow techchase dropzone or dthrow tech chase them simply for grabs
I've been trying to do more falcon combos, but I think I'll just play gayer now
You might get more damage out of just uthrow nair uair uair then you would from three grabs until they tech on a platform and an uair to punish that. And imo dropzone is way riskier than going for a juggle combo.

I know what you were trying to say but I think it was a bad example.

A better example would be: Why grab---> drop zone a Fox's illusion when you can knee them out of the lag and kill them without having to go offstage.

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
lol
the point of going to tournaments is to try to win
the best games are between two people who are trying their utmost to win,not between two people who are showing off
That's true, I'm not saying people should sandbag, but like nothing would be discovered if people didn't try out different stuff and just went with moves they knew worked. I dunno, I know you're saying you could do stuff in friendlies, but it's just not the same. Plus people like Silent Spectre and Scar (who are very flashy and technical CFs, but not necessarily the best, though I <3 them both) get more people interested in the game and therefore we get a bigger community. And if you want to be the most efficient player play someone like Sheik or Fox. Captain Falcon (in my opion) is inherently flashy so don't tell people to not be flashy when they play him.

And let's say Hax is saying not to be flashy so we can win, but Hax does not do that much better than Scar on a regular basis, no offense to either of them. They both have unique styles with the same character, and Hax is claiming here that his is better? Scar is like the flashiest CF there is, and we love him for it. This doesn't mean he loses, and in fact got 6th at Genesis, so I don't see what the problem is.

pockyD

Smash Legend
You might get more damage out of just uthrow nair uair uair then you would from three grabs until they tech on a platform and an uair to punish that. And imo dropzone is way riskier than going for a juggle combo.

I know what you were trying to say but I think it was a bad example.

A better example would be: Why grab---> drop zone a Fox's illusion when you can knee them out of the lag and kill them without having to go offstage.
because you can grab on reaction and from a neutral position, while it's much more difficult to react with a proper height/spaced knee

tubes

Smash Ace
because you can grab on reaction and from a neutral position, while it's much more difficult to react with a proper height/spaced knee
Maybe if your trying to knee them mid-illusion, but what I'm saying is knee them after the illusion ends during the landing lag, but that's not the point.

The point is that if you attempt to grab fox out of his illusion and dropzone, if you mess up the dropzone, you probably die, if you mess up the grab, you also probably die. There are safer options.

That's true, I'm not saying people should sandbag, but like nothing would be discovered if people didn't try out different stuff and just went with moves they knew worked. I dunno, I know you're saying you could do stuff in friendlies, but it's just not the same. Plus people like Silent Spectre and Scar (who are very flashy and technical CFs, but not necessarily the best, though I <3 them both) get more people interested in the game and therefore we get a bigger community. And if you want to be the most efficient player play someone like Sheik or Fox. Captain Falcon (in my opion) is inherently flashy so don't tell people to not be flashy when they play him.

And let's say Hax is saying not to be flashy so we can win, but Hax does not do that much better than Scar on a regular basis, no offense to either of them. They both have unique styles with the same character, and Hax is claiming here that his is better? Scar is like the flashiest CF there is, and we love him for it. This doesn't mean he loses, and in fact got 6th at Genesis, so I don't see what the problem is.
except that playing to win still produces new techniques which are even more efficient or add to the efficiency of previous techniques from the sheer desire to win. See Marth, Fox, Falco, Jiggs, etc...

Also Scar says himself that Hax is probably the best Falcon as of now. I don't know about you, but I would love to see Falcon winning major tournaments.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Maybe if your trying to knee them mid-illusion, but what I'm saying is knee them after the illusion ends during the landing lag, but that's not the point.
Kneeing them after the illusion landing lag is even more difficult, because then you have to space vertically as well as horizontally. Grabbing the illusion is the only option that can be completely initiated on reaction.

Also Scar says himself that Hax is probably the best Falcon as of now. I don't know about you, but I would love to see Falcon winning major tournaments.
Darkrain won TO4 (87 entrants) and SMYM9 (112 entrants) in January and February of this year. Moral of the story: Darkrain is the man.

pockyD

Smash Legend
this is scar

hax is the best falcon right now IMO

hax SS and myself though i think are interchangeable, it's just whoever is playing best is going to **** the hardest

but also it's important to realize that none of us have even slightly similar styles so depending on who we're playing someone might be better or worse against that specific style

as far as darkrain is concerned he has accomplished the most out of any of us and has the greatest demonstrated ability to win national level tournaments, he will always be my default answer to best falcon in the world but right now i wouldn't be surprised if he was super rusty and that SHOULD NOT go against his reputation or credit, so i'm just not even comparing him to '08 and even early '09 darkrain because i don't think it's right or fair

but i think it's a toss up between me hax and SS, honestly i think hax and SS are better than me in terms of ability to win tournaments but i think i'm better than both of them in dittos

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Darkrain makes you think falcon should be higher on the list. Really it's gg. Falcon is meant for fun and if we always wanted to win we would have picked someone better not the most amazing charcter ever. Falcon is the best fun wise don't limit the fun of falcon but IF you need to win yeah play better by all means.

I just need to say Drakrain again.

Hax

Smash Champion
lol I made this thread cause playing smart should be a given for any character, but the falcon community in particular loves to do crazy **** with their character. just realize that knee isn't always the best option and you might win a few extra games

if i'm the best falcon then us falcons are severely behind other characters in today's metagame. for all we know we could be some of the best players, but a fox/falco/sheik/jiggs worse than us would still win cause of matchup. darkrain is definitely the best right now though, scar.

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
Well I think you guys are all amazing, I'm just saying that the randomness/flashy aspect of Falcon is not necessarily a bad thing. Hax may very well be the best Falcon, I'm not arguing with that (plus Hax is awesome). But just because it is flashy does not mean that it isn't smart or effective. The reason Falcon mains do that kind of stuff is because flashiness is effective. Not saying playing smart is a bad thing, just arguing what it means to play smart.
And my comment about winning all the time was just that I think to improve you need to play a lot more risky than a lot of people are willing to. If M2K had never started off the stage edge-guarding our met-game would not have evolved as much as it had. I wasn't saying sandbagging is cool or anything, sorry about that mix-up.

Hax

Smash Champion
yeah wraith but you have to realize M2K devised his game through intensive friendlies/researching; techniques are typically discovered in such a fashion. to try it out in tourney and risk it being ineffective would be foolish; it's like trial and error: test your product before publishing it.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
yea m2k might have a better falcon than all of us, and all he does is tech chase grab into tech chase stomp into uairs forever

Top Bottom