• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

you guys need to drop the manlyness agenda

R.I.Y.P.

Smash Cadet
PLaying smart is definately a lot better than being flashy, but that changes in movement do help with tricking opponents mid match. This may not be a great example, but I hope you'll get the idea. Let's say some falcon takes a stock off of marth and starts multi moonwalking across fd, the marth tippers him with fsmash and falcon dies from being edge gaurded. In this case flashiness does not equal playing smart, however any changes in movement can affect the outcome of approaches with any character. It's more or less knowing your options and playing according to what you think will give the highest payout with minimum risk. Now let's take my example from earlier and modify it a bit. Say the falcon was just getting demolished, couldn't approach, be defensive, nothing. So he decides to avoid getting 4 stocked he has to try something different since nothing seems to be working. The falcon dashes towards marth, expecting another shffled nair, the marth chooses to do uptilt or whatever. The falcon after getting ***** continuosly before, empty short hops to a dash dance moonwalk jump and knees the marth. Not expecting the moonwalk knee, the marth DI's the wrong direction and falcon gets a kill. That is playing smart, adapting and not letting past habbits get in the way of success. Falcons should learn a few things from sheiks players since we seem to need tech chases almost more than any other character and it is such a vital part of our game play. Flashiness is good in moderation but like many things, too much can be bad. Just my thoughts on this thread, good **** hax.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Wow insane carzy guy with a sensible post. GG.
I always make sense to me when I'm posting notice the I in there that's why it doesn't always work.

flashy is alright to do it helps stir the gameplay up and helps invent new techs and ideas. Also it's amazing to just be part of a match where amazing happens like they knee them off and do a a running jump falcon punch. I've taken stocks from randomness like I once falcon punched out of my sheild something didn't click for them and I took a stock and they weren't bad it surprized the crap out of them, being flashy messes with people if you get just plian ***** one stock dude! your F***ed is what you may think. I've heard of one of my friends loseing a pool game because someone called a 5 rail shoot(if that's right)

They called it when it was an easy shot in it got to his head and he lost the game of pool. Also keep in mind I totatly argee with you about playing smart it's simplily people have their limits and people will enjoy it more if they will just be really cool and flashy. It creats new ideas, new players, and combo videos. Being flashy is good as long as you aren't trying to win more than 80% of the time.

Also I don't play flashy don't I do falcon punch more than I land sweetspoted knees in matches.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Those are officially the most awesome vids ever.
I decline to accept Scar nailing that double Falcon punch as him being "manly" that is easily one of the top 3 moments ever seen in melee history. That has nothing to do with "manly"

Plus, Neither of those 2 were coming back, so I would've done the same in his shoes, I mean you gotta go for that if you see the opportunity AND you have stocks left over.
I wish to see this gif/match.....

tubes

Smash Ace
Well it's cool when your 2 stocks up and your gonna win even if you miss the punch. Then it's all EFF YEAH! GTFO MY STAGE!

But lets say Blue lazer was dead, and Scar only had one stock left. Then it would have been really ****ing stupid. It'd be one of those situations where you even if you pull it off, sure the crowd would eat that **** up, but you know coach is gonna make you run suicides all day afterwards for being such a cocky piece of ****.

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why you guys are trolling on Hax, he's absolutely right. There ARE times when a falcon punch is a viable option, but it's a rare occasion. On the other hand, it's not worth losing a tournament match over. Even still, there are better options. Whenever I play Falcon, albeit against spacies primarily, I go for the stomp->Falcon Punch through the platform, but I NEVER play him in tournament.

All he's trying to say is that it's okay to buff the "manly" theme, but keep it in friendlies and you'll do much better in tournament play. It's just friendly advice. Take it or leave it, but you don't have to troll him for it. It's not like he's insulting you--we all do it.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I don't see why you guys are trolling on Hax, he's absolutely right. There ARE times when a falcon punch is a viable option, but it's a rare occasion. On the other hand, it's not worth losing a tournament match over. Even still, there are better options. Whenever I play Falcon, albeit against spacies primarily, I go for the stomp->Falcon Punch through the platform, but I NEVER play him in tournament.

All he's trying to say is that it's okay to buff the "manly" theme, but keep it in friendlies and you'll do much better in tournament play. It's just friendly advice. Take it or leave it, but you don't have to troll him for it. It's not like he's insulting you--we all do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptLrwHqXuOA

the end of this video says everything

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Pfft watch the Isai versus SS matches. Manliness is the way to go. If you play to win then play Sheik. Isai followed that same philosophy. Falcon is the best character in the game if you aren't black and white about winning.

PLENIPPPPP

-MCT-

Smash Cadet
Pfft watch the Isai versus SS matches. Manliness is the way to go. If you play to win then play Sheik. Isai followed that same philosophy. Falcon is the best character in the game if you aren't black and white about winning.

PLENIPPPPP
True. The only time I don't try anything too risky is during crew battles. If I screw up, my whole crew gets screwed up, and that wouldn't be manly at all.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I love it when each character forums inevitably gets the player who goes

WAIT I GOT IT DON'T PLAY LIKE AN IDIOT

the best part about it is that it's the best advice possible - and SOME people actually LISTEN.

Good show.

<3

moTT

Smash Cadet
I didn't really read much of this thread except for your initial post, hax. But yeah, I agree. Like for example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LBv5HmhVh8 4:28-4:31, lmfao. I know I come off as an extreme smart *** or something, but yeah, I had to bring it up. As beautiful as it was, it was ricockulously Scar 2.0. Pretty much goes against everything you said, but hey, there's a couple months between this thread and that tourny, so it may be a moot point. But for the record, yes, I do think you play one of the smartest falcons.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
It's all about impressing people until you start getting in the money.

What difference does it make if PEEF over here tries for reverse knee edgeguards. Its not like I'm in the money. But I really can't tell you when SS wins and when he loses, all he does is do cool stuff, and thats what I want to watch.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lmfao hax you're a scrub for missing that knee and then SDing

moTT how is that scar 2.0 that's like scar 0.8 or something i hit that **** all day

jugfingers

Smash Champion

actionblackbird

Smash Journeyman
I am soooooo...sorry but I TOTALY agree with hax.

I been wondering why I was doing bad because I was thinking of being flashy and thinking of the crowed while WATO n' florida been telling me to play smart, stop doing dumb things and work on it...So...right now, I am decently playing smart, trying to figure out what beat what and so much more. like I started to keep up with H-box and UUAA, learning their **** while getting destroy at the process...is all about playing smart, weather by reading their opponent or figuring out how to get out of the situation. "Oh, I am just throw my **** and see if work." If doesn't work most of the time unless your testing the others priority. Once your opponent see your mistake, your fawked. BUT ANYWAYS..

listen to HAX!!!!! (Witch i'll (maybe) MM him X3)

-play smart D:.

and um...yea darkrain is nasty followed by hax...and maybe between scar and SS for third place...I think.

nuff said

Animal

Smash Lord
punish your opponent effectively and quickly. No need to tech chase an opponent for 30 seconds or combo for 30 seconds for a combo video.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Don't most people play falcon because he is fun as F***? Just know how far to go. moonwalking isn't needed. But without some manlyness it would be just dd>chain throw to knee for to many people.

Quic

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, just do whatever works for you I think, Silent Spectre placing 9th at pound is a testiment to that, he plays really flashy and such, and outplaced every other falcon main, and Hax got really far as well by playing more efficient, just do what works best for you.

Animal

Smash Lord
Hmm, just do whatever works for you I think, Silent Spectre placing 9th at pound is a testiment to that, he plays really flashy and such, and outplaced every other falcon main, and Hax got really far as well by playing more efficient, just do what works best for you.
no. silent spectre doesnt do anything unneccessary really either. He doesnt try and edgeguard with unneccessary knees. Just because he knows some flashy tricks with falcon doesn't mean hes inefficent.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
SS is flashy, but he doesn't make stupid decisions. He is probably the most conservative top Falcon when it comes to off-stage edgeguarding. His ledge canceled dair to uair isn't just flashy, it's an excellent way to take back control with a giant double hitbox if you can land it as consistently as he does. His moonwalks almost always have a purpose to them - watch his set against Jman at Genesis, he pretty much uses stickywalks to fake out Jman and earn free approaches. I think years of being somewhat isolated in California have taught SS what truly works and what doesn't... a lot better than most other top Falcons.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Then he would have never been low tier in any of the games, Ryu was never low tier...

High tier in ST, Mid tier in 3S, High tier in SFA3, and Top tier in SF4.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
captain falcon is the RYU of smash. get at me
Okay. At first I was like, "This could be right." But then I was all,

1. Ryu's metagame relies on zoning and pressure with his projectile. Falcon does not camp (ergo, no zoning) and lacks a projectile to force approaches like Ryu does.

2. Ryu was never Bottom tier. His lowest placement was Mid in 3S.

3. Ryu is only half as manly.

4. Though Falcon lacks the long-distance pressure, Ryu doesn't have the knee for close range.

and 5. Shoryuken is more effective of an attack than the Falcon Dive, seeing as how the dive is mainly use offstage, but the SRK is Ryu's main anti-air option.

Edit cause I was ninja'd: I'd say Fox is the Ryu of smash. With Brawl = Third Strike.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
LOL, dude i only meant like the hero aspect and how they built the game around him. :-D capcom definitely made ryu a solid char in every sf games.( side note: 3Strike was one heeellllla broken game)

but for melee, i do think that the game makers based the "broken" aspect around captain, designing him in a pretty balanced way. capcom definitely based the whole cast and concept of the game around ryu as well.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I <3 3S D:

There was a big tournament in France where Hayao(the best Hugo in the world) won against Sugiyama(arguably the best Necro in the world). Hugo is bottom tier and Necro is low tier.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I <3 3S D:

There was a big tournament in France where Hayao(the best Hugo in the world) won against Sugiyama(arguably the best Necro in the world). Hugo is bottom tier and Necro is low tier.

Needs more Sean. :D

Top Bottom