• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi isn't that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
I would have posted this in the Yoshi boards, but because nobody else goes there except for matchup discussion, I put it here. Please move if needed. Well, here goes:

Is Yoshi good? No, nobody's denying that. But everyone who puts him in the bottom 5 of their tier lists, why? I'll show Yoshi's performance in three impostant categories (tourney results, moveset, matchups)

TOURNEY RESULTS:

Okay, Yoshi's tourney results are pretty bad. However, he's still above 7 or so characters as of the last time I looked at the rankings.

MOVESET:

Let's start with specials.

Egg Lay is more of a LULZ UR TRAPT move than anything else. Still, it's sexy against Olimar and Ice Climbers (seperation FTW), which is probably why he does well against both.
Egg Throw is undeniably his best special. It's a nice projectile, and he can recover with it. All good Yoshis have Egg Throw as a regular part of their diet.
Egg Roll is probably his worst special, but it was buffed from Melee, and slices through Pikmin like a hot knife through Kenny.
Yoshi Bomb is bad when used in midair, but a decent kill move if done on the ground.

His grab game is great. He can chaingrab about half the cast, including the top 4 characters on the current tier list. His standing grab sucks hard, but his pivot grab is among the best in the game.

Yoshi's jab is among his best moves, and probably one of the best jabs in the game. It comes out quick, and is a great get the heck away from me move.
His up and side tilts are nothing special, but his dtilt is a great edgeguarder. His dash attack...meh.

Yoshi's up smash is a great way to end a chaingrab on certain characters, such as Wario. His fsmash is okay too, but you can't really use it on someone who just got out of your mouth. Dsmash isn't horrible, but not NEARLY as good as it was in Melee.

However, Yoshi's best moves are in the air. His bair is amazing as a damage-racker. Dair does hella damage, but can be tough to land. Fair can get a zero death on a good portion of the cast, but it should only be used if you KNOW you'll get a spike. Nair is kewl at gimping, and fun to use due to Yoshi brielfy developing elephantitis. Uair is by far and away his best kill move, getting rid of many characters at 110-120%ish.

On a side note, his recovery is actually one of the tougher ones to gimp. A good Yoshi will air dodge at the end of a flutter jump, keeping some momentum and making a footstool jump impossible.

MATCHUPS:

I already had a nice post about this somewhere else, so I'll just bring it here.

Yoshi's **** matchups? Not exactly common either. Going by our thread (it's still probably flawed, but you go by yours, so I'll go by mine), Yoshi's toughest matchups are Mr. Game & Watch (currently 35:65, highly debatable for 40:60 or 30: 70) and Marth (65:35). IMO, Lucario is also a 35 matchup. He has a slight disadvantage against everyone else in the top 3 tiers, with the exception of an even match with Diddy and maybe ROB. Yoshi mostly has slight advantages, disadvantages, and neutrals in B, C, D, and E. As for F and G, he beats Lucas, Sonic, Samus, CF, Jiggs, Ganon, and PT, goes even with Link and Mario, and has a slight disadvantage against Ness.

Again, I'll say that Yoshi is NOT good. His shield sucks too hard to be very high. Still, he is much better than bottom 5. He should be above Samus, Lucas, Ike, Mario, PT, and Ness in my opinion. I'm probably a little biased, but please SBR, at least read this post.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
"IT'S NOT THAT MY [INSERT LOW TIER HERE] IS BAD. EVERYONE ELSE IS JUST BETTER."

Which means your Low Tier is bad. All of the Top and High Tier characters have very outstanding attributes. Low Tiers are perhaps the most balanced characters in this game. But that's their issue-everyone else is unbalanced.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If top tier were amazing and high tier were really good and Yoshi were pretty decent, pretty decent seems bad in relation to amazing and really good.

Therefore, Yoshi is bad.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Did you even read my post? I actually suggest that Yoshi move up a few spots on the tier list. He's pretty mediocre, I must admit.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I frequented the Yoshi boards at one time. No, he's not bad, but who would you put him above? Without any bias, who do you think Yoshi is a better character then on the tier list that's above him?

bigman40

Smash Master
why do people constantly compare with characters that we KNOW he won't be next to on the tier list? Why don't most of you people try to compare him to mid tier characters, which would make a better judgement on his game than always making judgements on the best characters of the game.

Slasherx

Smash Ace
A pro Yoshi is so hard to spike, that's why footstool is the key in killing Yoshi.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Just knock him off and footstool ggs.

(loljk)

Yoshi isn't that bad, but he's not exactly that good, either. I think he should probably move up a spot or two simply because he has great matchups against a few of the higher tiers.

He's still fun as hell to play, though.

fox219

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi and Craptain Falcon will definitly rise. No offense, but I think Ganondorf will be bottom tier. Yoshi has great matchups. Never read smashwiki to get precise info.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
This is a rather pointless thread. You act like the SBR hasn't already taken this stuff into consideration where they ranked Yoshi where Yoshi is now. Here, how about I copy you?

Pokemon Trainer isn't that bad.

TOURNEY RESULTS: He's D rank, which isn't really good, but is still above all of E rank, which must mean something big at that end of that end of the tournament result spectrum since the difference between D and E is so big.

Movesets: He has three in one! Squirtle's specials aren't too special, Ivy's are pretty good for damage racking, and Charizard's build damage quickly and have a nice punch to them. PT does not suffer from poor specials.

His grab game is excellent. Good grab ranges, nice setups with Squirtle, nothing but powerful throws with Ivysaur, and some good KOing throws with Zard. All three have great pummels, and you can even grab release a lot of the cast into jabs or tilts.

All of them have decent to good jabs. Squirtle's is especially important to his ground game.

Squirtle's tilts are good for racking up damage, but that's about it. Same for Ivysaur, but they're a bit less usable, though dtilt can KO. Charizard's are mainly for KOing.

Squirtle's Usmash is decent, but there rest suck. Same for Ivy, except Fsmash is the decent one, though Usmash does pack a punch. Same for Charizard, though they're probably slightly better overall.

Squirtle's aerial game is great. Ivy is anti-air but still has some nice range on his bair. Zard has a good fair, a decent bair, and then some other stuff.

They have poor recovery overall, though, and they also have fatigue.

MATCH-UPS: PT should never find himself severely hampered because of Down B. A good PT can always fool his opponent.

Move PT up plz.

Don't ypu think this has already been done? Yes, people think lowly of your character, but the same goes for many of G, F, and possibly even E tier. This will change nothing.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You know he does make a somewhat valid argument, dont be such ***** guys.

Yoshi will prolly move up a bit, but still, who the **** cares, he still sucks.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I think sonic should be bottom of bottom because I heard of a secret move created by OS called d-tilt. :(
Our metagame is shattered.

:093:

Tennet

Smash Champion
PFFT Yoshi is bad man, theres just too much against him.
Meta Knight should move up because he isn't that bad.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
His only huge weakness is a bad shield. Other weaknesses are easy to overcome. Also, how many of the people who posted here actually read my post? For the millionth time, just because I think he's underrated doesn't mean I think he's good. I just believe he's better than a few (4 or 5?) of the characters currently above him on the tier list. He's bad, just less bad than what everyone says.

TimeZone

Smash Rookie
I loved yoshi in melee...he was my main....but in brawl...hes..well different:/
in a bad way....
i personally think he was better in melee in brawl...but..thats just me...

Twin_Scimitar

Smash Cadet
Yoshi does have potential. Especially because of a few decent matchups against top/high tier characters. I think he will eventually be above Lucas, Ness, Samus, Ike, and possible PT (not sure though).

No I don't main him, but I do play him as a secondary. I don't think he will ever be top. But perhaps he will be in the middle or even top of low tier. That's just my thought though.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
TC has a point. Yoshi is not bad, he`s a good character with lots of tricks to him .

Yoshi should be higher than the characters above him. I dont see what Mario, Ness and LUCAS ( SBR will never explain that...)

I suppose it`s because of Melee, or because of peoples own stupidity. Did you know, they`re actual people who thought Yoshi was bottom tier in 64. LOL

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Yoshi definitely belongs below all three of them lol

64 is a different story, many people did not know about double-jump cancel

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Yoshi definitely belongs below all three of them lol

64 is a different story, many people did not know about double-jump cancel
In what way?

Ness and Mario maybe, but Lucas.

LUCAS!

Please tell me you`ve heard of such mediocrity on Lucas part. I mean, he just plain sucks.

I learned that the hard way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom