• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi isn't that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I played as Yoshi for the first time ever and did pretty well. I wouldn't main him though, lol. :]

Yoshi is top tier.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
I frequented the Yoshi boards at one time. No, he's not bad, but who would you put him above? Without any bias, who do you think Yoshi is a better character then on the tier list that's above him?
He's better than Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Ness, and Lucas. Maybe above Ike, even. Probably not any higher than that though.

So basically, bottom of E tier rather than F tier.

But honestly, its pretty much a pointless argument anyway, as tier lists don't really matter.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Samus has four projectiles. She has more than any other character in the game, except maybe Olimar, if you count the differences in the Pikmin. Yoshi only has one. Her Homing Missiles are useful at slowing down her opponents. She doesn't even have to control the angles of the Homing Missiles, whereas Yoshi is dependent on the direction of your analog stick.

I think it's ironic that you say that tilts don't make a character, but you speak about Yoshi having better tilts. I guess one of the reasons why Snake can KO so early is because of his outrageous tilts. Of course, tilts don't make the character, according to you. What is more, I find it silly that you say that Yoshi is heavier. Really? What I can recall from SmashWiki concerning weights is that Samus is the seventh heaviest, and Yoshi is right below her.

I was mocking Nitrix. You got me on the weight thing, who would have thought? :( Check and mate sir GG

Those were crappy points nithix. Your ignoring the fact that Yoshi has WAY better matchups, consistently better tourney results, better at KOing, CGs and plenty of good tricks on many characters. (CG and infinites!)

What does Samus have? A semi infinite from D3? That alone would put her below Yoshi for me, but she also suffers from KOing and a poor projectile game.
That Samus doesn't have great kill moves is irrelevant in my opinion. She can rack up damage fairly quick, which makes up for the lack of kills moves. Not to mention, being the seventh heaviest character in the game, she can last quite some time before getting knocked off the stage.

Sorry, but this is coming from a Samus main: Samus is garbage. Don't let that statement get to you. It doesn't mean I think anything better of Yoshi.

1. Wave-dashing doesn't exist in Brawl, unless you're playing Brawl+. 2. Wave-dashing has only two purposes: spacing and grabbing the edge to edge-hog. That these are unnecessary in Brawl, especially edge-hogging the edge, makes the use of wave-dashing irrelevant. Samus doesn't need to wave-dash, because she can space very, very well against her opponents. And since Brawl allows you to grab the edge while facing the opposite direction, wave-dashing doesn't mean anything.[/QUOTE]

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yoshi would be top tier is he could spit fruit juice like in Super Mario Sunshine.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
You know what? I think this thread should be closed. It's useless now that it's just filled with inb4locks and one-liners from people who didn't bother to read the OP. I saw what happened with Sonic-he places well, and most low tier mainers (read: people who actually care about the game) agree that he should move up. And the SBR still puts him at #31. It doesn't matter if Yoshi won a bunch of huge tourneys and moved up to A rank. Most SBR members still have their Yoshi sucks glasses on. Or maybe they're too obsessed laughing about whorenados and Dedede's infinite grab to care.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
You know what? I think this thread should be closed. It's useless now that it's just filled with inb4locks and one-liners from people who didn't bother to read the OP. I saw what happened with Sonic-he places well, and most low tier mainers (read: people who actually care about the game) agree that he should move up. And the SBR still puts him at #31. It doesn't matter if Yoshi won a bunch of huge tourneys and moved up to A rank. Most SBR members still have their Yoshi sucks glasses on. Or maybe they're too obsessed laughing about whorenados and Dedede's infinite grab to care.
It would matter if someone actually did it. Do you think People would be clamoring for Sonic to move up if he just sat around wallowing in mediocrity? I think not. If for some reason you can't get to tournaments, you're just going to have to accept that no one will be willing to believe you on word of mouth alone and move on. As for this thread, you have another one just like it, so just pick one and put it out of its misery.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi would be top tier is he could spit fruit juice like in Super Mario Sunshine.
I didn't think that attack was THAT special compared to Mario's FLUDD in the game. I know it had some quirks to it which you NEEDED to remove barriers etc. in order to complete 100% of the game, but I still think that IMO, it was relatively the same as Mario's FLUDD in terms of attack power. I don't really care if you disagree with me because when I played the game, I NEVER really relied on it to defeat my enemies.

Even if it is SLIGHTLY more useful than Mario's FLUDD, (IYO) just face it. With Sakurai's unoriginal mind, in Brawl, it would probably just turn out to be EXACTLY like Mario's FLUDD (Down B) AND Squirtle's charged Water gun. (Neutral B) Imagine if that happened! It would be like the situation where there are already 3 Landmasters for all of the Starfox characters! But this time, not only are there 3 Landmasters, but there are also 3 attacks which just push back your opponents dealing no damage whatsoever! *Shudders and shakes head trying to get rid of the thought.* Ugggh... I hope that NEVER EVER HAPPENS during my life. EVER...*Prepares herself for when that time comes...*

Chaco

Never Logs In
I didn't think that attack was THAT special compared to Mario's FLUDD in the game. I know it had some quirks to it which you NEEDED to remove barriers etc. in order to complete 100% of the game, but I still think that IMO, it was relatively the same as Mario's FLUDD in terms of attack power. I don't really care if you disagree with me because when I played the game, I NEVER really relied on it to defeat my enemies.

Even if it is SLIGHTLY more useful than Mario's FLUDD, (IYO) just face it. With Sakurai's unoriginal mind, in Brawl, it would probably just turn out to be EXACTLY like Mario's FLUDD (Down B) AND Squirtle's charged Water gun. (Neutral B) Imagine if that happened! It would be like the situation where there are already 3 Landmasters for all of the Starfox characters! But this time, not only are there 3 Landmasters, but there are also 3 attacks which just push back your opponents dealing no damage whatsoever! *Shudders and shakes head trying to get rid of the thought.* Ugggh... I hope that NEVER EVER HAPPENS during my life. EVER...*Prepares herself for when that time comes...*
Well it had that disentegrating effect in Sunshine.

I agree though FLUDD could of been so much cool, with all nozzles, inhances speed, super jump, Tornado spinny, but FLUDD just did squirt water. Lol. The nozzles were BA though.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Well it had that disentegrating effect in Sunshine.

I agree though FLUDD could of been so much cool, with all nozzles, inhances speed, super jump, Tornado spinny, but FLUDD just did squirt water. Lol. The nozzles were BA though.
That's what I meant about it removing barriers but I don't know what they're called but I CAN tell it's one of the oddest looking barriers I've ever seen! Despite FLUDD having additional nozzles and Yoshi's attack having that effect in it, Sakurai would just turn it into something that would hinder them like it did for Mario. Yoshi however, managed to escape from getting a c***** move in his arsenal. And Squirtle? Oh, he was probably thinking of something along these lines while creating Squirtle's moveset: "We just had to have this. It is Squirtle after all!" Ehh... Give me a break! PUT IN WHAT THEY DO FROM THEIR RESPECTIVE GAME OR TURN IT INTO SOMETHING ELSE! I only have 1 question for Sakurai from all of this: "Did you even PLAY these games in general?"

Chaco

Never Logs In
That's what I meant about it removing barriers but I don't know what they're called but I CAN tell it's one of the oddest looking barriers I've ever seen! Despite FLUDD having additional nozzles and Yoshi's attack having that effect in it, Sakurai would just turn it into something that would hinder them like it did for Mario. Yoshi however, managed to escape from getting a c***** move in his arsenal. And Squirtle? Oh, he was probably thinking of something along these lines while creating Squirtle's moveset: "We just had to have this. It is Squirtle after all!" Ehh... Give me a break! PUT IN WHAT THEY DO FROM THEIR RESPECTIVE GAME OR TURN IT INTO SOMETHING ELSE! I only have 1 question for Sakurai from all of this: "Did you even PLAY these games in general?"
I doubt he did.

But it is a ****ty move. I'd much prefer having FLUDD have atleast a trip effect.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I doubt he did.

But it is a ****ty move. I'd much prefer having FLUDD have atleast a trip effect.
That would make it better in general, but I don't know if tripping PLUS pushing them away from you to try and land a blow on them would be very helpful at all. Like pretty much everyone else around here, we've all got our fingers crossed for the next Smash Bros. game which will hopefully remove tripping, c***** moves like this, better online, better...*rants on for 2 hours and refers to her b****list of why Brawl could have been a better game...*

...and hopefully EVERY character can be unique AND have unique move sets. And that everybody, is why Brawl fails in comparison to Melee. Any questions? Oh wait... I seemed to have trailed off from the main question. Errr...yeah... I think they should just replace FLUDD in general for the next game. TBH, I think that ANYTHING ATM would be better than that! Just count yourself lucky that Yoshi didn't get a move like that because LUCKILY Sakurai DIDN'T play the game!

Chaco

Never Logs In
That would make it better in general, but I don't know if tripping PLUS pushing them away from you to try and land a blow on them would be very helpful at all. Like pretty much everyone else around here, we've all got our fingers crossed for the next Smash Bros. game which will hopefully remove tripping, c***** moves like this, better online, better...*rants on for 2 hours and refers to her b****list of why Brawl could have been a better game...*

...and hopefully EVERY character can be unique AND have unique move sets. And that everybody, is why Brawl fails in comparison to Melee. Any questions? Oh wait... I seemed to have trailed off from the main question. Errr...yeah... I think they should just replace FLUDD in general for the next game. TBH, I think that ANYTHING ATM would be better than that! Just count yourself lucky that Yoshi didn't get a move like that because LUCKILY Sakurai DIDN'T play the game!
Lmao, we'll consider it lucky. Maybe a poison effect like the white pikmin though. I'd gasm over that...

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Lmao, we'll consider it lucky. Maybe a poison effect like the white pikmin though. I'd gasm over that...
Who wouldn't? That'd make Yoshi even more undeniably good in battle! We'll just have to wait and see what the future holds for the next Smash Bros. game and see how it'll affect this community in general. Also, I hope that it's a game that EVERYONE will enjoy and not just be a temporary splinter in people's minds like Brawl was and still is to this day.

The next game better not turn out to be a ticking time bomb for the competitive smash community. IMO, I think some people who used to play the game competitively have formed angry riotus mobs in Japan where ever it is where Sakurai worked, protesting for a better Smash Bros. game for the Wii. IF it does turn out to be like what I mentioned earlier, I personally am going to stay away from these boards for a LONG time because complaints will come flowing through here like no tomorrow and people won't be willing to have proper discussions anymore...

Marshie

Smash Apprentice
Captin Falcon Isnt That Bad........(its true hes my seocndary!) newai I would hate spitting fruit juice to replace any of yoshis specials... amirite?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Ummm...IDK what game you guys have been playing for the last 9 months but the FLUDD is known as a buff in Mario's moveset, much better than his tornado in Melee anyway...please don't make me post the sticky again...please...

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Mario's Tornado in Melee was much better than Brawl Fludd...

It actually helped Mario recover in Melee, you are aware of that right? >_>

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Yeah, because a move has to help you recover to be considered good!

How about the facts that 1) Mario's recovery is still pretty good in Brawl without the Down B, and 2) FLUDD is an extremely good edgeguarding tool?

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
em i the only one who notices this topic when....kinda out the window? the main question
was a persons opinion on how yoshi isnt that bad and should be moved a bit more up in the tier list, and now the final comments are what if marios Fludd had a different quality?
ill leave that for the hackers for now im interested to what is here,

tough already debated and maybe even old rules, changing peoples minds wont happen until
we actually show them hes better, wich will be hard as hell cause i cant argue those top tiers are
there for a reason, there no walk in the park no matter how Pro you are with the lower ones
but still a respect wouldnt be bad tough sometimes i wish i could go to the other low tiers
to see how they argue/debate n thes ekind of things usualyl i see Yoshi´s mains fighting to be
higher, crossing lines and coming up with new moves

i wonder how the others are?...umm well ill check them out one day other than that ill
continue to main yoshi and put out a good fight for him whenever i win or lose at least
i can proudly say i came there to have fun and Win, not just arrogantly try to Win

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Mario's Tornado in Melee was much better than Brawl Fludd...

It actually helped Mario recover in Melee, you are aware of that right? >_>
The tornado in Melee was purely used to help recover in Melee, both for extra distance and as a stalling tool to protect against edgeguarders, hence the name tornado stall. However, Mario's recovery was terrible in Melee compared to in Brawl and the cape itself now can stall in the air; Mario's recovery in Brawl >>> his recovery in Melee and the tornado was a terrible move for all practical purposes besides recovery. The FLUDD in Brawl helps Mario edgeguard and FIHL acts as a powerful defensive tool against many characters, more than I can say for the tornado in Melee. Now the tornado in 64, that's a different story...

Atria

Smash Journeyman
The tornado in Melee was purely used to help recover in Melee, both for extra distance and as a stalling tool to protect against edgeguarders, hence the name tornado stall. However, Mario's recovery was terrible in Melee compared to in Brawl and the cape itself now can stall in the air; Mario's recovery in Brawl >>> his recovery in Melee and the tornado was a terrible move for all practical purposes besides recovery. The FLUDD in Brawl helps Mario edgeguard and FIHL acts as a powerful defensive tool against many characters, more than I can say for the tornado in Melee. Now the tornado in 64, that's a different story...
Umm... Yeah to tell you the truth, I was kinda biased about the usability of Mario's FLUDD in Brawl. I heard that people DID use it for edge guarding, but I thought that overall from what I heard before, people thought that the move in general was bad because the knock back from it was apparently negligible making it a bad move overall. So I stuck with that opinion seemingly as though NO ONE uses it against me in a battle. Although, I'm pretty sure that that opinions have changed now so maybe I should go take a look at that thread if you're that confident about the fact that it's a buff for Mario. Not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying that I should pay more attention to characters that are barely used against me. (Not saying that everyone hates Mario.) It'd probably cost me a match if I got caught off guard from not knowing that. Thanks for the advice Judge Judy! Sorry for being a biased jerk... >_> (I know you didn't recommend me to go look at it, I think I'm doing the wrong thing looking down at Mario's 'buffed' FLUDD move. People will eventually criticize me for the fact that I'm biased about the move when I haven't actually seen how good it is for myself. Also, I can't handle complaints too well...>_>) Anyways back on topic...

IMO, I don't think that Yoshi is a terrible character. I just think that a lot of people are turned off from him because of his special move set. That's what turned me away from him when I played the first Smash Bros. game because I thought that most of his special moves were rather situational apart from his ^B. Also, another thing that turned me away from him was his lackluster recovery move. His midair jump is godly IMO as you can't flinch from ANY attacks that are landed on you, but opponents were still able to knock me off the stage which I found rather annoying. Even with that buff he got in Brawl regarding that boost he got with his ^B. However, I don't think that it was THAT great because I still had some issues grabbing that ledge. It just feels WAY too similar to Olimar's tether recovery move to me IMO because some opponents could still edgehog me which I found really irritating. Also, I'm not that great at using Yoshi. I've tried and failed as he doesn't suit my play style.

This might make you think that I look down on him as a character, but I don't really. I've had my fair share of challenging matches against some Yoshi users. Therefore, I think that Yoshi has the potential to be an annoyingly difficult opponent to face. Although then again, those other characters that you mentioned, (Ike, PT, Samus, Lucas, Mario and Ness.) they also have the potential to be great characters too, but it's just just that some of these characters are hindered more than others. For example, you think that Yoshi should move above those mentioned characters, but he has issues which hold him back more compared to those characters.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Well Mario's recovery (and everyone else's except Ganon) is much better in Brawl thanks in part to auto-sweetspot and lighter gravity. Mario's tornado in Melee helped him so much more than his FLUDD does in Brawl. FLUDD is a horrible and highly situational edgeguarding tool anyway, almost all of his other attacks would make better edgeguarding choices.

If Mario did not have FLUDD and could rising tornado in Brawl, he would certainly be a much better character than he already is.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Well Mario's recovery (and everyone else's except Ganon) is much better in Brawl thanks in part to auto-sweetspot and lighter gravity. Mario's tornado in Melee helped him so much more than his FLUDD does in Brawl. FLUDD is a horrible and highly situational edgeguarding tool anyway, almost all of his other attacks would make better edgeguarding choices.

If Mario did not have FLUDD and could rising tornado in Brawl, he would certainly be a much better character than he already is.
The FLUDD is actually a good move but more useful in some match-ups than others, and IDK if having the tornado would of really helped Mario much in the long run. Anyway, the FLUDD is essentially a setup move and the unique physics of water hitboxes come in handy often. The FLUDD is far from horrible and not nearly as situational as you make it out to be.

Read this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196174

prOAPC

Smash Lord
In what way?

Ness and Mario maybe, but Lucas.

LUCAS!

Please tell me you`ve heard of such mediocrity on Lucas part. I mean, he just plain sucks.

I learned that the hard way...
you suck with Lucas, that doesn't mean that Lucas sucks

Yoshi is good, he has good match ups vs high/top tiers, but vs lower tiers, those match ups are not the same, just learn how to play Yoshi and i'd be easy. I'm the reason why a my friend stopped maining Yoshi, now he mains Lucas lol

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Yoshi isn't bad at all. It spites me that he's on the bottom of the tiers I see everywhere. Also, the Egg Roll being a bad special? I don't agree with this. It is very useful and is far from being a terrible special. I use this a lot and it helps. A lot of players don't know how to counter it at first, and it's useful for mindgames and/or quick/easy damage when catching them off guard. I personally like the Egg Roll. The worst special of Yoshi's in my opinion is his Egg Lay. Though, this is all just my opinion and goes along with my playstyle.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
Thats why you airdodge when they get close. Its better maybe take a hit after the airdodge then getting footstooled to death. Against a good yoshi that wont happen often.

(lock please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom