• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi isn't that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
64 is a different story, many people did not know about double-jump cancel
Those same people probably thought that Ness was bottom tier in 64 also O___O

Seriously, what???????

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
lol Yoshi going up that much.

But he's still better then 4 people, so it he's not that bad

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Yoshi doesn't win many tournaments.

Therefore, there are few people who can win tournaments with Yoshi and have choosen to do so.

There are many people who can win tournaments with Meta Knight and have choosen to do so.

That is the primary difference between the perception of Meta Knight's ability and Yoshi's.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Yoshi doesn't win many tournaments.

Therefore, there are few people who can win tournaments with Yoshi and have choosen to do so.

There are many people who can win tournaments with Meta Knight and have choosen to do so.

That is the primary difference between the perception of Meta Knight's ability and Yoshi's.
Yoshis consistency in tournaments of Fall 08 put him over several notable characters, including Mario and Lucas.

And do you need to bring MK into this? Were not scrubs here.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Is Yoshi horrible? No.

Again, I'll say that Yoshi is NOT good. His shield sucks too hard to be very high. Still, he is much better than bottom 5. He should be above Samus, Lucas, Ike, Mario, PT, and Ness in my opinion.

Yoshi should definately not be above Samus, Lucas, Ike, Mario or Ness.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Yoshi had a complicated Meta game with alot of AT's, hes good as a counterpick, but not as a main.

He is underrated, but not by alot your low tier, your low tier what can we do

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you guys never give up do you? TC, it's like this, if he isn't bad, why are his tournament records so terrible? Don't say it's because all the Yoshi players suck, because I know they don't. If he had something going for him, you'd think there'd be at least ONE person who was winning with him consistently. I'm not asking you to make Yoshi the next Metaknight, but the fact that NO ONE wins consistently with him (that we know of) should be setting off some kind of alarm in your head.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The tournament ersults are not necessarily the final determining factor on a characters placement tier wise. it is their potential, their matchups and other things.

Tournaments are also affected by who is being played.
hence why a character like Wario will do better than marth, even though marth is the better character.
Most of Marth's bad matchups are with high and top tier, characters who see lots of play.
Wario's are spotted and so his worst matchups won't come up as often.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
The tournament ersults are not necessarily the final determining factor on a characters placement tier wise. it is their potential, their matchups and other things.

Tournaments are also affected by who is being played.
hence why a character like Wario will do better than marth, even though marth is the better character.
Most of Marth's bad matchups are with high and top tier, characters who see lots of play.
Wario's are spotted and so his worst matchups won't come up as often.
I know tournament results aren't everything, but when not even ONE Yoshi player has been able to win consistently, that's pretty fishy for someone who's supposedly mid tier. If I actually saw some of this supposed potential with my own eyes, I'd be convinced. Just ONE player, that's all I'm asking, like how Lucario has Azen (because you have to admit, he'd be a lot lower than he actually is, if we just had a bunch of random Lucarios getting "meh" placings).

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I know tournament results aren't everything, but when not even ONE Yoshi player has been able to win consistently, that's pretty fishy for someone who's supposedly mid tier. If I actually saw some of this supposed potential with my own eyes, I'd be convinced. Just ONE player, that's all I'm asking, like how Lucario has Azen (because you have to admit, he'd be a lot lower than he actually is, if we just had a bunch of random Lucarios getting "meh" placings).
I agree, Lucario could easily be five or ten placings lower if not for Azen.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Well that depends like I said, its possible that the reason you don't see yoshi's playing consistently is because of what is going on. Yshi just runs into his wort matchups early.

Or, it can be that he sees incredibly low play.
have you seen bigman's yoshi?
Or green ace's?
Those are two yoshi's who are extremely good from what i hear.
Let alone that Azen mains everyone >_>

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Well that depends like I said, its possible that the reason you don't see yoshi's playing consistently is because of what is going on. Yshi just runs into his wort matchups early.

Or, it can be that he sees incredibly low play.
have you seen bigman's yoshi?
Or green ace's?
Those are two yoshi's who are extremely good from what i hear.
Let alone that Azen mains everyone >_>
Yes, I've seen Bigman (not Green Aces though). And I can see (edit: meant to say he) does not suck. Which is why I find it disturbing that they aren't winning much. I am convinced that the fault lies with their choice of character, not the players themselves.

bigman40

Smash Master
Um....I may be an excellent candidate to look at a good Yoshi, but I haven't been able to get to ANY tourneys. I've only been to one (which was my first) and I placed 13th of 40 in that. I was going to IC3 (for those who don't know, that's Impact Clash 3), but my ride chickened out on me. My next chance I'll probably be getting to a tourney is until like march =/

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Yes, I've seen Bigman (not Green Aces though). And I can see they do not suck. Which is why I find it disturbing that they aren't winning much. I am convinced that the fault lies with their choice of character, not the players themselves.
Not really, bigman and green ace don't go to tourney's often because they either
A. cannot afford it
B. Cannot go
C. Jesus hit them with lightning on the ride there.

when they do play they do well, they may not win, but they place well given the choice of their character.

Yoshi isn't expected to win, he shouldn't, but the placement of the character also matters because it still details how far they were capable of going.

Hmm its late, i need to celebrate my B day today afternoon.
Good ni-morning.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Um....I may be an excellent candidate to look at a good Yoshi, but I haven't been able to get to ANY tourneys. I've only been to one (which was my first) and I placed 13th of 40 in that. I was going to IC3 (for those who don't know, that's Impact Clash 3), but my ride chickened out on me. My next chance I'll probably be getting to a tourney is until like march =/
Well until one of you does, this debate is pointless. Low tier until proven Mid right? Hopefully this thread won't devolve into another clone of the many, many "Yoshi is better than people think!" threads polluting the Yoshi board.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I remember the good ole days when Yoshi was the 8th best character in the game.

O wait..... there were only 12 characters in that game.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Bwett, Nc1pride & Lilb.

I'll be honest, I dont even participate in tourneys, I go and I watch them....like cheap television.
I usually don't see yoshi's when I go to watch a tourney, actually out of 7 I watched in DEC and January, I saw 2 yoshi's.
If every tourney was just 13 participants.
Multiply by 7.... there were 91 people I saw in tourneys, and yet out of the 91 only 2 were yoshi's.
Want to multiply that for say....more tourneys?
Yoshi's dun play, then again this is Canada....we're all busy staying inside cuz it's cold.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Yoshi mains just give up. Stubborn people are just stubborn people. I can agree that Yoshi isn't the best, but when he's below so many terrible characters (including SBR) it's just sad.

InB4 mod quote

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Before I go

Y'know Metaknight isn't that bad either. Why isn't metaknight higher on the tier list!!!!!!!!
You know, your not clever or being funny by saying. Get with the times, the jokes down. All I see is a sad post trying to be funny with the matter at hand.

Yoshi is being underestimated severely. (and Lucas being praised...)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Yeah, Lucas sucks more than people think.

In b4 "Lucas isn't that good" thread
If doesn't move to bottom tier by the next tier list, I will make that thread.
I mean the voting was done on personal tier lists. And some of lists I saw were really really bad.

(Mario in high tier, Lucas and Ness BOTH in low tier LOL, Ness maybe but Lucas? Shows his ignorance)

I don't lose faith in the SBR because some of you know their ****. But the others need to get their heads out of their ***** and do some research.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Why shouldn't he Yoshi above Samus?

Because Samus is better overall. She has a better projectile game than Yoshi, has a better recovery, and has a better edgeguarding game. She is also heavier and has better tilts.

Plus, Samus can always turn into ZSS to avoid a bad matchup.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Why are you people naming the best Yoshis? What the **** is that supposed to prove?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Because Samus is better overall. She has a better projectile game than Yoshi, has a better recovery, and has a better edgeguarding game. She is also heavier and has better tilts.

Samus is not better overall. She already has a poor projectile game, so being better than Yoshi doesn't prove much. Woopty do! Wario has a better recovery than Snake. Is he better?

Again, edgeguarding is debatable but Yoshi seems to do better. His superior aerial mobility (best in the game) Yoshi is heavier and Yoshi does have better tilts.

Those were crappy points nithix. Your ignoring the fact that Yoshi has WAY better matchups, consistently better tourney results, better at KOing, CGs and plenty of good tricks on many characters. (CG and infinites!)

What does Samus have? A semi infinite from D3? That alone would put her below Yoshi for me, but she also suffers from KOing and a poor projectile game.
Zair saves her from mediocrity.

And I agree with Raph.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace

Yoshi has an advantage over Samus, and goes more or less even with ZSS. Yoshi has a better grab game, overall better matchups, better (but still crappy) tourney results, a better air game, and he's faster on both the air and ground. Oh, and can Samus wavedash? I thought so.

Also, Bwett beat Dojo (a great MK) on Battlefield, a stage where MK has a decent advantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrcMLqFwI6M

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Yoshi has an advantage over Samus, and goes more or less even with ZSS. Yoshi has a better grab game, overall better matchups, better (but still crappy) tourney results, a better air game, and he's faster on both the air and ground. Oh, and can Samus wavedash? I thought so.
Nitrix needed to be more convincing. I mean tilts and recovery? His post was doomed to fail.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Also, Bwett beat Dojo (a great MK) on Battlefield, a stage where MK has a decent advantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrcMLqFwI6M
Uh, hello, people win matches that aren't 30:70 often enough. This is proof that high leveled Yoshis can be high leveled MKs, but it doesn't say anything as to why he should be higher on the tier list. I've seen every other low tier play that well.

Also, Samus can break out of that "infinite" prior to 127%, meaning she's got it no worse than Yoshi does against DDD.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
You guys are so biased that it isn't even funny.

Nitrix needed to be more convincing. I mean tilts and recovery? His post was doomed to fail.

Please try to explain why Samus has a bad recovery.

K 2

Smash Lord
Lol, if Yoshi always airdodges at the end of flutter kick, doesn't that make him usmash bait?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
You guys are so biased that it isn't even funny.

Please try to explain why Samus has a bad recovery.
It's not bad. It's excellent, but tilts and recovery don't make a character.

And Raph, I said semi. It's possible to break earlier, but it still deals effective damage. Yoshi is by far better of than Samus vs D3.

Us, Biased? I don't even MAIN Yoshi, and Snowstalker is sick of Yoshi hate. Give us a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom