• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YGD - As the snow melts, the mighty Dinosaur rises once more!

Best Yoshi Attack

• Total voters

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If you were to SH Uair > Nair, you would only be able to hit with the hard hit of Nair.

I'd say Down B is a good option to use on a forced get up. It does a nice amount of damage (21%, I think), and isn't a commonly used move so it's good to stale that instead of, say, Usmash. The problem is that the rising hit can be DI'd so that the actual fall misses. Fsmash would be good as well.

Choice

Smash Champion
first and 2nd hit don't combo though, right? or do they?

if uair-> nair wont work, then maybe utilt -> sh nair ff

Sharky

Smash Master
unless they know how to DI it, it combos. And they have to DI differently depending on how far away you are when you start your down-b

Scatz

Smash Champion
Derp, gotta come in and correct people.

Yoshi can lock using the hard hit of Nair. Slice showed that it might be possible in this video starting at 2:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhaBzJpVSXQ#t=02m10s

I said that it might be possible to lock with the sourspot of Nair at higher percents considering that downB stars lock opponents (Nair and downB stars might have the same properties). It needs to be checked though.

As for maximizing damage, your best bet would be a choice between Charged Fsmash and DownB.

Surprised you're playing Yoshi Choice. I wished I played you more at MLG Raleigh. D:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Happy birthday, Slush!

A couple of things that I want to address in this thread:

1) Certain characters can just air-dodge the second hit of the down-B. I'm not sure what determines this, but I think if a character is lightweight they'd be able to do it. I've seen Zero Suit Samus do it despite being a tall character.

2) Choice, now that you are using Yoshi, let me give you some tips:
- I know that you said that you don't want to change your controls, but having tap jump off for Yoshi is absolutely necessary. It doesn't give you any benefits and just makes recovery a large hassle since conserving your double-jump is critical. Personally, the only control changes I made was Tap Jump off and L set to jump (so I can still do Egg Toss Slide while keeping the controls the same for any other character I play).
-B-air is your friend at basically ANY percentage. It combos into u-tilt/up-smash at low/mid-percentages, and if it's staled enough it can even combo into a u-air at high percentages while you and your opponent are both in the air. It has so little ending/landing lag that it's useful for basically any combo/string you can think off.
-Use Egg Lay a lot. Best air-grab in the game by far, and has a lot of secondary uses (B-reversals, resets, the ever-so-rare Egg Lay Cancel...).
-Egg Toss also has a lot of uses. I know that you play Falco and probably think that in terms of campability they are not so good, but that's not all they are used for. They can set up combos, create frame traps, and can even save you from being grabbed. They are also one of the most versatile projectiles in the game since they can go pretty much anywhere yet still stay in one place (if that makes sense), so dodging properly thrown eggs is a hassle even for the speediest of characters.
-Use Falco for Lucario lol.

Hope this helps you, Choice. ^_^

Scatz

Smash Champion
Actually, it's not completely necessary to have tap jump off. Firefly has tap jump on, but B-sticks. As long as it's not hindering his game, then it should be fine. It's highly preferred though for most Yoshi mains.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I already said he should stay with tap jump on because he is used to it and he can DR this way. "absolute Necessary" is nothing.

and I already said strong hit nair can lock but no one believed me =(

and when you asy "it combos if they don't DI out of it" (downB) sounds so bad. You need to word it different because it's not even easy to DI out of it. But you need to beware that every character from Sheik/Zelda and lower in weight can airdodge the second hit (but they somehow rarely do it lol) and punish you with everything :/
downB is one of our or our best punish move because it doess 19% and can kill at about 130% (sort of average). The difference between DI'd downB second hit and non-DI'd second hit is really big though (like 30%) but at least it has no hitlag with reduces the reaction window.

Choice

Smash Champion
strong hit of nair can lock, i likey =)

do you think you got enough time to dash jump downb on someone when they're forced to get up? i guess i'll be able to test all this when i play this week, but school making it seem as if that wont be til sunday /=

thanks a lot for your advice polt. i'll probably quicker use wolf for lucario than falco though, honestly.

edit: btw, happy belated birthday slush =p

Yikarur

Smash Master
the stars hit in frame 26 if you buffer a grounded jump downB, thats waaay too slow for locking.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I feel so sad guys, I'd love to help the discussion with Yoshi, but you guys are just so much more knowledgeable in him than I am.

*cries* And I was your mod!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Dont feel bad yink, you don't even main yoshi. Regardless, you already helped out and just feedback and commenting in general is a step forward in the discussion. I'd rather have someone who doesn't know as much try to get involved as it helps us realise the smaller details that to the more knowledgable mains would be second nature and obvious, but to those trying to learn wouldn't understand. If they never speak up they might never figure it out.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Gashi actually has a very good point. You know you have complete mastery over a topic when you can teach it to someone with confidence. If you feel shaky about what you're saying, then you obviously haven't mastered it yet.

And that is how I study for school. Mad people ask me questions, and if I can't answer them well, I look it over myself. If I can, then huzzah!

Choice

Smash Champion
geez yink, l2yoshi.

yikarur, i mean what if you do this:
dthrow someone onto platform (or get them up there somehow)
then uair or utilt or usmash the front of their shield to make them slide off, nair them when they hit the ground to force get up and then down b. would such a thing work out?

if not, what do you think would be the best guaranteed damage on a forced get up?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Choice I don't even want to hear it :laugh: .

I'd say I know more than a regular person. I DO use him, and my Yoshi's not bad. You guys just always beat me to the info and I don't particularly like repeating it haha.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
[Collapse=The Yoshi's LedgePlay Creed]This is my ledge. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My ledge is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My ledge, without me, is useless unless i am playing a MetaKnight. Without my ledge, I am useless. I must ECE on my ledge true. I must aim straighter than my enemy who is trying to gimp me. I must egg him before he footstools me. I will...

My ledge and my eggs know that what counts in this set is not the amount rounds we fire, the flashiness of our ledge DR, nor the damage we give. We know that it is the stalling that counts. We will Deltacod...

My ledge is a dinosaur dragon turtle thing, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its frame data, its options, its techs and its shenanigans. I will ever guard it against the ravages of Snakes and bats with sharp objects as I will ever guard my butt, my feet, my tail and my nose (omfg especially my nose) against damage. I will keep my ledge safe and open. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before Sakurai, I swear this creed. My ledge and myself are the defenders of this tournament placing. We are the masters of Hades Planking. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory or getting 17th again is Yoshi's and Metaknight is banned, but peace![/Collapse]
My ledge input

D

Deleted member

Yo gaiz, im playin h0ly n1ghTmare in ladder playoffs, but i havent played brawl in forever and i am very bad now.

Who should i quickly learn so i can win :D

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
[collapse=the yoshi's ledgeplay creed]this is my ledge. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My ledge is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as i must master my life. My ledge, without me, is useless unless i am playing a metaknight. Without my ledge, i am useless. I must ece on my ledge true. I must aim straighter than my enemy who is trying to gimp me. I must egg him before he footstools me. I will...

My ledge and my eggs know that what counts in this set is not the amount rounds we fire, the flashiness of our ledge dr, nor the damage we give. We know that it is the stalling that counts. We will deltacod...

My ledge is a dinosaur dragon turtle thing, even as i, because it is my life. Thus, i will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its frame data, its options, its techs and its shenanigans. I will ever guard it against the ravages of snakes and bats with sharp objects as i will ever guard my butt, my feet, my tail and my nose (omfg especially my nose) against damage. I will keep my ledge safe and open. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before sakurai, i swear this creed. My ledge and myself are the defenders of this tournament placing. We are the masters of hades planking. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory or getting 17th again is yoshi's and metaknight is banned, but peace![/collapse]
my ledge input
~ <3 ~

:005:

Noobicidal

Smash Master
[Collapse=The Yoshi's LedgePlay Creed]This is my ledge. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My ledge is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My ledge, without me, is useless unless i am playing a MetaKnight. Without my ledge, I am useless. I must ECE on my ledge true. I must aim straighter than my enemy who is trying to gimp me. I must egg him before he footstools me. I will...

My ledge and my eggs know that what counts in this set is not the amount rounds we fire, the flashiness of our ledge DR, nor the damage we give. We know that it is the stalling that counts. We will Deltacod...

My ledge is a dinosaur dragon turtle thing, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its frame data, its options, its techs and its shenanigans. I will ever guard it against the ravages of Snakes and bats with sharp objects as I will ever guard my butt, my feet, my tail and my nose (omfg especially my nose) against damage. I will keep my ledge safe and open. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before Sakurai, I swear this creed. My ledge and myself are the defenders of this tournament placing. We are the masters of Hades Planking. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory or getting 17th again is Yoshi's and Metaknight is banned, but peace![/Collapse]
My ledge input
Worth the read.

Choice

Smash Champion
i played a little bit today with yoshi, and already feel like i'm getting a much better feel to this character =) i had some pretty sweet stuff but i think my friend wasn't all that content with being knocked around by yoshi so i didnt record anything. next time i'll make sure to preface it saying i want to save the vids and tell him he can get critique from his respective character boards as well (though i kinda doubt he will go through the trouble of asking).

egglay seriously is so much better than i ever thought it was. same with eggtoss. on a sidenote, i dont think i use my up b well since this concept of up b-> dj instead of the other way around is kinda foreign to me. normally its like if i'm up b'ing its a mix up or i'm in a terrible position (like with my other characters)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
With yoshi, it's better to save DJ if possible and just up b. You have 5 up bs now and your DJ is super important as it's your only upwards recovery move

Now of course you can use DJ to mx it up, recover high or something, but be sure not to waste it, we're really one sided without it.. Watch vids and you'll understand how it works.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
kk, will do. yoshi is so weird, but pretty sweet =)
I agree. I saw my friend using him so I fell in love. I love using Yoshi. The grabs are what I like most...oh and bair being amazing in general.

If you can, you should CP PS2 for Yoshi.

Actually...we should probably talk about stages that're good for Yoshi now that you use him, yeah?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There hasn't been a Stage discussion since... I believe my thread, With the last post being in October last year.
The one before mine was MC-killa's thread which was back in 2009 of July.

Choice

Smash Champion
i figured i'd just go to yoshi's island =3

that or ps1/ps2, though i really should start cp'ing more to benefit my characters than caz i enjoy the music i guess. what stages are good for yoshi and why?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
We don't really have much when it leans towards Stage Discussion.

But stages we do good on are mostly stages with Slopes you can do Yoshi Bomb Shenanigans on (Yoshi's Island Pictochat), Stages we can plank/shark (Delfino Halberd).
For plain regular stages, SV and PS2 are pretty good.
And I believe FD, so we can GR CG around 15+ characters across the stage for extra damage or free USmash since there's no platforms to ruin the CG. If a more detailed list of our best stages is needed, I could possibly write that up for about 3 or so of the stages I mentioned.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yoshi is such an balanced character, he does well on every stage (except maybe brinstar? no exp.)
His best stages are probably Distant Planet and PS2 (imo).
Yoshis Island is good for gimmicks, Halberd is good for sharking + earlier kills.
Delfino is somehow good for Yoshi, a lot of transformations favor him, and more recovery options because of sharking and stuff = good.
I love that Yoshi is so agile <3

Scatz

Smash Champion
Actually...we should probably talk about stages that're good for Yoshi now that you use him, yeah?
That would require Yoshis to do "work" by posting and thinking. Most of them are alredy super lazy, but either way, if someone needs input to stages, I can give my thoughts.

Choice

Smash Champion
That would require Yoshis to do "work" by posting and thinking. Most of them are alredy super lazy, but either way, if someone needs input to stages, I can give my thoughts.
yoshi boards sound like the wolf boards =o

Scatz

Smash Champion
Well, you have a few strand Yoshis that wanna take this board to another level in terms of research, discussion, etc. But we need almost everyone to help out cause we're lacking so much information that could possibly help us [Me doing jab data & shield advantage data. Celes doing grab release shenanigans & DJ armor data. LostMagic (known as Wuvzz) doing a Yoshi tutorial and Airborne doing an advanced version].

Depster

Smash Champion
Yoshi is such an balanced character, he does well on every stage (except maybe brinstar? no exp.)
His best stages are probably Distant Planet and PS2 (imo).
Yoshis Island is good for gimmicks, Halberd is good for sharking + earlier kills.
Delfino is somehow good for Yoshi, a lot of transformations favor him, and more recovery options because of sharking and stuff = good.
I love that Yoshi is so agile <3
Brinstar is great stage, too

Top Bottom