• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YGD - As the snow melts, the mighty Dinosaur rises once more!

Best Yoshi Attack

• Total voters

Choice

Smash Champion
even if they're powershielding? should i just start dash up b'ing and keep changing the angle each time?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
so yoshi has recently become one of my favorite character's to mess around with, but i'm hella bad with him. what should i do!?
Understand how godlike bair is, and his pivot, and eggs, and that if you get footstooled it's a sad day. :(

Choice

Smash Champion
yea i footstool yoshi's so i know all about how sad it is =/

by pivot you mean pivot grab, right? what makes bair so great? i'm used to bair working differently is all.

Airborne

Smash Lord
yea i footstool yoshi's so i know all about how sad it is =/

by pivot you mean pivot grab, right? what makes bair so great? i'm used to bair working differently is all.
His bair is his combo starter; all 4 swipes combo into utilt at early percents, the first and second swipes combo into usmash between 50-ish and 100-something, and then the same two swipes combo into SH uair starting around 110%.

Also, keep in mind that Yoshi's nair is very similar to Luigi's, so you can swat people out of stupid **** that you normally wouldn't be able to, and his heavy armor allows nair to be the best revenge hitting move in the game. The only bad thing about Yoshi's nair is that it doesn't have as ridiculous of a hitbox, but it's still kinda ridiculous.

Personally, I believe that scaring people into shield is the most important thing about Yoshi, mainly because his rushdown game with egg lay, and its possible follow-ups, is/are absolutely scary.

Yoshi is a toolbox, as Shiri once said, because he has everything. Although, they're not the best, they still provide answers to situations that some characters can't cope with as easily.

Edit: When the **** did the look of this place change? o.O

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Eggs have two hitboxes so if you throw them right they can't powershield it (or at least not the second hit of it)

If you are playing correctly then you should never be getting footstooled, basically just don't be ******** and you're good.

Pivot grab is very good. Far reach, low lag, lots of follow up opportunity.

Bair autocancels into everything, it's actually quite nice. It has true combos and many options as well.

Also, egg lay is probably the most godly move in the game. It beats out almost everything (even *****nado) and is an air grab. It also can be wavebounced and we have the best air speed in the game making it amazing. It also DJ cancels so you can mindgame and mix up the eff out of everything.

Yoshi also has DR which is basically melee wavedashing, only harder to do and far more satisfying.

He has a grab release CG on about half the cast and has tons of little gimmicks on characters out of release.

Yoshi also doesn't have any fail mu's (except arguably Lucario which is still winnable) and doesn't have any bad stages. He's also really heavy and never dies.

airborne ninja'd me

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Well because the Yoshis seemed to have beat me to it, pretty much what they said.

Also I'd just watch your shield. Out of Shield options aren't good. As a friend once said, "It's more like a prison than it is a safety". Though I'm sure some of the Yoshis disagree with me.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Try and pretend you don't have a shield most of the time and just run away. You're fast as hell in most mu's so keep in mind that running > shield. Ony shield if you're confident you won't get butt ***** for it.

Choice

Smash Champion
is there a guide on how to use egg lay somewhere? i try to use it but i fail most the time instead. also i had no idea there were 2 hitboxes to up b, thats pretty sweet.

edit: i feel like yoshi will prolly help me become much better at not using shield so much, caz i think thats an issue with my current gameplay.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Somewhere we have one...

And go to training mode and throw an egg at the computer. That one hit counts as a two hit combo on the combo count. It's awesome. The first hit is the egg itself and the second is the pop or explosion. Basically think of eggs as snakes nades except they don't have a firey hitbox and they explode on contact.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
is there a guide on how to use egg lay somewhere? i try to use it but i fail most the time instead. also i had no idea there were 2 hitboxes to up b, thats pretty sweet.

edit: i feel like yoshi will prolly help me become much better at not using shield so much, caz i think thats an issue with my current gameplay.
If any character can help you not shield, it's definitely Yoshi. Shielding can mean getting a ton of damage to yourself. I'm sure it would be helpful to your gameplay and style.

EDIT: It also really makes you think about mixups and setups, considering if you're not careful you'll either be forced to shield, or come up with something else.

Somewhere we have one...

And go to training mode and throw an egg at an opponent. That one hit counts as a two hit combo on the combo count. It's awesome. The first hit is the egg itself and the second is the pop or explosion. Basically think of eggs as snakes nades except they don't have a firey hitbox and they explode on contact.
You want me to check the Archive for it, gashi?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
so yoshi has recently become one of my favorite character's to mess around with, but i'm hella bad with him. what should i do!?
Well For starters, a Basic control setup for Yoshi is Tap Jump off so we may have our 5 extra Mini-jumps from Eggthrowing so we won't just use one Egg throw and use our DJ in the process.
We have only 2 OoS options (Platform Drop and Item toss), but even with a shield that pretty much ***** us half the time, it also helps that we cannot be shield poked and with Sacred Spotdodge we can account for using this to drop Shield faster rather then Releasing our shield button and being open for an attack for I believe 17 frames.
Eggthrowing onstage is usually done by Pressing Y+UpB at the same time.
Otherwise if jump is not inputted while trying to Eggthrow. We'll either keep running, Accidently do Egg roll, or just Egglay. Which'll leave us open for quite a long time and depending on who the enemy is playing as, we can most likely be punished for one mistake pretty hard.
Yoshi's Maneuver ability is great, Since Yoshi has little range in most of his moves, and low priority. We have to basically rely on our Air game and use moves like Uair Nair or Bair most of the time, and camping with our eggs. The Eggs explosion is mostly what's good to use against most characters and create a string of moves to bring the enemy up to high percents rather then trying to actually hit them with the egg itself.

If you want to be a fancy/Classic Yoshi but atleast a bit safer if you can implement Dragonic Reverse very well and almost 100% of the time in Matches. Y+B being Jump is what most Yoshi's Go for and with special being R or X. I myself cannot do DR with YBC but use YYA but still have the setup for B being Jump and Special being R+X.

There's Campy Yoshi mains and Aggressive Yoshi's. For a safe Campy yoshi it's just running most of the time abusing our Sacred Spotdodge and Ledge Camping. Deltacod videos are usually good to watch.
As for Aggressive Yoshi's, here is an example of one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n051O9DE05Y
Zude is a Yoshi who can use both DR and B-Reverse pretty well, and it comes in handy when surprising the enemy since most of the time they never know when we'll use it. And also don't know how much distance we get from doing it.
Most of the time if you're offstage and below the ledge, Double Jumping and Airdodging is a safe bet since characters like MK or Lucario would most likely try to gimp us if we tried to use our DJ recklessly.

Techwise, We have quite a few of them. Most of them have no names but a short list of some of them.

Dragonic Reverse - Requires Regular Jump/Double Jump and any aerial to be inputted under 9 frames.
Slope Shenanigans - This video pretty much explains it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpo3QuIG2fo&feature=channel_video_title
DJC Egglay/Item Toss/Egg Throw - Cancelling our Double Jump, we can either Egglay Forward/Backwards, Toss an item in any direction ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb2K6Lo7l7s ), Or Egg Throw Away/towards the enemy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSNF1shhT5c&feature=channel_video_title
There's alot more I can probably explain, but I'll leave that up to others.

Choice

Smash Champion
i'm pretty sure i'm going to play with default controls because that's what i've always done. maybe i'll consider switching some stuff around for dr, caz i have had a bit of a difficulty figuring out a way to get it super consistent.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If any character can help you not shield, it's definitely Yoshi. Shielding can mean getting a ton of damage to yourself. I'm sure it would be helpful to your gameplay and style.

EDIT: It also really makes you think about mixups and setups, considering if you're not careful you'll either be forced to shield, or come up with something else.

You want me to check the Archive for it, gashi?
Yes, please :D

And @ mixups part, yoshi has practically unlimited amounts of mixups, so really, yoshi can beat anyone just by overwhelming them with options they've never seen, like dash > fsmash. (it's fun to mess with people like that)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
i'm pretty sure i'm going to play with default controls because that's what i've always done. maybe i'll consider switching some stuff around for dr, caz i have had a bit of a difficulty figuring out a way to get it super consistent.
I seriously hope you reconsider and at least use Tap Jump off. Otherwise, you'll do an Egg Toss, then lose your jump if you haven't used it already.

EDIT: Posted the right one I think, gashi.

ANOTHER EDIT: Also changed the poll, enjoy. :p

Choice

Smash Champion
thanks for the link yink! (haha that rhymed)

mmm, if i hold up during my primary action of momentum cancelling, would i be able to egg toss without using my dj? right now i've just been holding in between neutral and up and i feel like it works fine most the time, at the very least i havent been gimped the times i accidentally use my dj, but i figure as i practice i shouldn't have an issue using up b while retaining dj.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
IMO I'd just use different controls for yoshi, he gains the ability to do so much more once you get it down.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Dragonic Reverse, makes wavebouncing far easier (especially when you try and reverse wavebounce, that **** it impossible with tap jump on), and takes away the chances of losing your DJ entirely.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Z stop using wrong terminology. DJCEggLay has nothing to do with either DR or Wavebouncing. No Yoshi uses wavebounced egg lays (well perhaps very rarely).
Most Yoshis use B-Reverse Egg Lay or DJC Egg Lay in a fashion that moves like wavebounce with more momentum.

@Slush Priority does not exist in air except vs. MKs Glideattack, Dash Attack and ZSS' Nair. Don't say "Yoshis Move have low priority". You basically say with that "Yoshis Hitboxes doesn't extend his hurtboxes much" which is partly right, partly wrong, we have a huge disjoint in our uair and a small disjoint in our bair (almost unnoticable)

Choice it's better for you do choose standard controls, you're used to it and you can use DR with it (flick the stick up and slide your right thumb from Y to A). Just don't waste your second jump accidently.

What I can recommend are Aerial > other Aerial in one short hop. Thats really effective.
you can Bair > Nair/Uair or Uair > Nair in one shorthop and that close to the ground Nair hit is really nice.
With Egg Lay you can cancel your double jump on a looot different ways, I like it the most when I cancel the DJ in mid high so that if it misses I can do a nair very close to the ground.

You can buffer SH nair/fair and can jump before touching the ground (you can AutoDRLand or buffered DJ AD to DJ Refresh here because you're that close to the ground or DJEgg Lay/DJ Aerial in the opponents face etc)

Fair is sometimes very useful off-stage because it has low cooldown (hitbox > aerial end are about 20 frames) So you can sometimes Fair to force an airdodge and nair afterwards to punish that airdodge (works with uair too while juggling)

=D

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yo yika, I do wavebounce egglays, I do it a lot. If you egglay forward but wavebounce backward it's hard to punish.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
@Slush Priority does not exist in air except vs. MKs Glideattack, Dash Attack and ZSS' Nair. Don't say "Yoshis Move have low priority". You basically say with that "Yoshis Hitboxes doesn't extend his hurtboxes much" which is partly right, partly wrong, we have a huge disjoint in our uair and a small disjoint in our bair (almost unnoticable)
I'm sure there's a few other moves missing, and the Priority part is mostly aimed towards High tier characters anyways.
You basically just said i'm "partly right/wrong" I'm aware of our disjoints, also since our Ftilt is completely disjointed.
But what bothers me about Yoshi compared to other character boards, is that they have either both Hitbubbles AND hitboxes for their character, or just one of them.
Not blaming anyone, but just saying we don't even have very accurate hitboxes while I've never seen Yoshi's Hitbubbles to know exactly HOW BIG Yoshi's nose is to understand why most moves that should've missed always get my/our Nose.

And outside of EY and maybe you Yika, but I doubt any Smash lab member has tried to figure out or work on Yoshi's Hitboxes/Bubbles.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Somewhere we have one...

I don't believe we actually do have one... but I'll be working on that in a month or so.

And, I use Yoshi's shield like it's a good shield. XD 17 FRAME SHIELD GRABS ALL DAY

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I played a match with X and hit him with egg roll a good 5-6 times cuz I was just trying to piss him off.

Choice

Smash Champion
wait, how do you buffer a short hop? i thought whenever you buffer jumps you jump->instant double jump.

also yea, yika i've pretty much been doing what you said for dr's. up + y->a caz its a motion i'm sorta used to (direction + y-> button). i was also considering playing claw mostly as yoshi since he's got such great air mobility.

thanks for all the advice peoples. i'll be trying to work this stuff in and hopefully get some vids of my yoshi soon =)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Happy bday slush!!

I would post an epic pinky pie pic for you but you've seen all of them already :D

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Firefly, Asa wants to mm me at Genesis. Teach me how to fight Oli :o

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Pivot grab his landings and gimp his ***. Except he'll whistle all of your gimp attempts.

Don't get purple Usmashed. It hurts. =[

That probably wasn't particularly helpful. Sorry. =[

Happy birthday Slush!

:005:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Gashi, it's real simple. We **** Olimar's landings. REALLY HARD. He can try to whistle, but whistle doesn't beat grab, and our grab outspaces all his other options. We edgeguard him well, and we avoid him easily. If you get a stock lead and are at high percents, it's very simple to run circles around him and avoid pretty much every kill move he has while running the clock. We navigate Pikmin camping well, we can Bair rush in to start a juggle, or dash grab him, or egg lay, or whatever. Don't freak out when he gets a lot of damage on you when you're at low percents, it's all guaranteed damage, and outside of that, he has very little.

Also:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SLUSH!​

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Yink, I'm insulted that you've placed Egg Roll so low on the poll list. It's a godlike move. ;_;
Dude no. I don't see you killing people or doing a whole lot with it.

wait, how do you buffer a short hop? i thought whenever you buffer jumps you jump->instant double jump.

also yea, yika i've pretty much been doing what you said for dr's. up + y->a caz its a motion i'm sorta used to (direction + y-> button). i was also considering playing claw mostly as yoshi since he's got such great air mobility.

thanks for all the advice peoples. i'll be trying to work this stuff in and hopefully get some vids of my yoshi soon =)
Hey this is what we're here for! :p

@Slush: Have a Happy Birthday song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nghTrcPBp3s

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Dude no. I don't see you killing people or doing a whole lot with it.

Hey this is what we're here for! :p

@Slush: Have a Happy Birthday song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nghTrcPBp3s
I actually use it as an approach/space maker pretty often. I just don't have many vids. =P

do you think yoshi can use this stuff?

http://vgbootcamp.com/entry.php?8-Me...Slip-Mechanics

like what moves can he lock with?
The end of Nair can cause a lock state, but he has no typical jab lock sorta thing. He can definitely make use of this, but no locks. =[

Choice

Smash Champion
hmm, ok so yoshi can uair->nair in a sh right? what i you uair to knock someone off the platform and then nair instantly and hit them with a soft nair, or do you not have enough time for it to become soft nair? after that you could egg lay -> usmash or something i figure. is there anything else that would dish out more damage on a forced get up?

Top Bottom