• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YESZ! It's Captain Falcon! (B+)

D

Deleted member

Captain Falcon
needs updating

This thread will be about how captain falcon has changed in Brawl+ (B+) and strategy discussion. please keep it serious.

This post:
-Full changelist
-Changelist analysis
-General strategyguide (in progress!)
-character specific (in progress!)

Full Changelist
B+ brought a lot of change, and from the beginning CF has had a LOT of benefit from this. He went from rock bottom tier a somewhere in the top 8. To better understand why he is so good, let's take a look at what was changed about him.

- Triple Jump Glitch is fixed

- Aerial Lag Reduction (ALR)
-Most characters reduced to 50%
-Captain Falcon reduced to 40%​

-Hitbox Code v1.1(BKB = Base Knockback, KBG=Knockback Gain)
-Falcon: Reversable Knee
-Falcon Raptor boost BKB set to 86, KBG set to 43​

Frame Speed Modification
none (yet)​

-Character Specific Momentum Settings
Global 92.5%​

-Character Specific Gravity and Jump Power Modifications
Chara ID SH FH FF DGrav Grav Filler​

Falcon 9 0.900 1.050 1.150 1.200 1.100 0​

These are the character specific changes, of course there are more, but these concern specifically CF.​

Changelist Analysis

so what do all those numbers mean? I'll discuss each change in order, starting with the upB glitch. I will also give a (somewhat subjective) rating on how usefull the change is.

Triple jump glitch fix

This was a simple bug fix that happened with both CF and ganons upB. whenever you used it to grab a ledge, and then got back on stage, you then still recieved the cooldown lag from the move.

by fixing this, CF doesn't have this stupid disadvantage anymore.

usefullness: 3/5

Aerial Lag Reduction

now here is a change that is arguably one of the most important changes made. In vBrawl, you recieved tons of lag after an aerial. In melee and SSB64 you could L-cancel to reduce or even remove this lag. Brawl+ has chosen to simply reduce the lag, thus not requiring an L-cancel.

as you can see in the chart, CF has his lag reduced to a mre 40% which is the third lowest in the game nwo (Ivy 30% ; Link 35%). This is a huge advantage for Captain Falcons strong aerial-focussed game.

usefullness: 4.5/5

Hitbox changes

-reversable knee

This one is more than just cool. If you sweetspot someone with the "back" of you knee, they fly the other way. This wil suprise some people and probably maske them DI the wrong way.

-Falcon Raptor boost BKB set to 86, KBG set to 43

This is simply a slight improvement on the raptor boost, though you should still use it sparringly due to the cooldown lag.

usefullness 2/5

Frame speed modifications

None? That doesn't really help CF at all.

Some changes will more than likely be made in the future. but for now there is nothing in this section.

usefullness 0/5

Character specific momentum

CF fall into the general category here, but that doesn't make him general at all. becuase you keep your momentum AND captain falcon has a quick dash, you can approach at very hight speeds.

usefullness 3/5

Gravity and jump modifications

now this is where most characters get their "speed" from. these values determine wheter or not you can quickly FF, how high you jump etc.

Chara ID SH FH FF DGrav Grav Filler
Falcon 9 0.900 1.050 1.150 1.200 1.100 0
Shorthop: 0.9
reduces the SH slightly, lowering the time to SHFF also slightly
Full hop (or jump): 1.050
this is a very subtle change to keep CFs jump at the same height it was, by compensating the increase in gravity.
FastFall: 1.150
Increased is faster SHFF. simple. beware of FFing offstage.
"down"grav: 1.2
This is sometimes a confusing value. it is in effect on every occasion except when you are puposefully rising, like jumping and upB, but NOT when you are hit upwards.
CF has the second highest Dgrav, shared with fox (sonic 1.250).
this means that CF is one of the least floaty characters in the game. bad for recovery, very good for SHFF and on stage in general.
gravity: 1.100
you fall faster. since your normal jump is compensating for thie height, your fullhop will simply be faster. nice.

overall the jump/grav values have been a great benefit for CF. now he isn't just running fast, he IS fast

usefullness: 4.5/5

General strategy guide
Now that you know how awesome Captain Falcon has become, let us look at how we can put that in practise by utterly destroying our opponent. How? Read on.

I will put this section in 2 parts, offense and defense. If you want the whole moveset number stuff, go to http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198565
keep in mind that some moves have changed, those are discussed in the changelist analysis.

Offense
This is the area that Captain Falcon rules. his aerial combo like no other, and his knee is quite strong if you sweetspot (which you should anyway).

Setups/approaching
in order to combo your enemy, you need to approach him. Since CF lacks projectiles you can't let them do it for you.

some standard approaches:

dash -> dash attack
not very usefull since your opponent will more than likely shieldgrab you, but can be used if you opponent expects a dashgrab.

dash -> dashgrab
actually quite usefull, if you can condition your opponent to shield your approaches. the best way to do that is using you knee as an approach.

dash -> nair
this is arguably one of the better approaches CF has. it hits twice, after wards you can either grab or followup with knee/another nair.

dash -> fair (knee)
this approach is not so much the approach itself, but has some follow ups, and as mentioned above, put your opponent in the habit of shielding a lot. why? because verfy few opponents are willing to get "the knee" in their face.

dashdance -> grab
dashdancing is a very good mindgame, and keeps your ooponent guessing when you are actually going to make the approach. grabbing them gives you the most options, but almost all things mentioned with "dash" can be read as "dashdance"

Comboing
once you either grabbed your opponent or send him flying, it is time for some followups.

Dthrow -> knee -> knee
best used when opponent is around 20%. when you land this your opponent is very likely to be already off the edge.

Dthrow -> Dthrow -> ...
you can chaingrab the fastfallers (fox, sonic...) up to 50% with this, and then just knee/nair whatever to finish.

Uthrow -> Uair -> knee/Uair
another decent combo that racks around 35% damage.

raptor boost -> knee -> knee
the reason this commbo works is because nobody expects a raptor boost. worth 45% og damage if you land the second knee, which can be a tad hard on fastfalling characters.

dash attack -> knee
if you manage to land that rare dash attack, going for a knee is your best option.

Edgeguarding
so yu got your opponent off-stage, now what?

Knee
a very solid option when your opponent is far, and on just above/below stage height. If this hits your opponent is done for. don't be afraid to go far, CF can recover better than yo umight expect.

Dair
for when you opponent is recovering low. it's good spike and hitting with it is almost certain kill. watch out for recory moves such as Ike's, you might not survive those.

Uair
Use on opponents recovering high. go for backwards version to send them further off-stage

Falcon Punch
wut? Your not serious, are you? yes you can actually use this move somewhat like the knee. since your opponent is limited in his options, you might actually land this, for maximum coolness points.

Bair
hang on the ledge, jump off hit 'em with a bair and get bck on the ledge. very few opponents survive, but watch out for fox's upB and the like.

Defense
Coming soon!

Character specific matchup
This is arguably the most important and also most difficult part, because in knowing your opponent lies the answer to victory. here YOU can make major contributions. do you know how to destroy PT? have an idea how to not lose against MK? share it!

this is the end for the guide for now. it still needs soem major updating so don't be too harsh on the critique please.:bee:

D

Deleted member

that thread was never meant to be serious. I also put my nmae on the list as guide writer (check first thread) and this spot was still open there

Mit

Smash Ace
I was not aware of the reverse Falcon knee feature, although I'd like to know why it was put in. As a vanilla Brawl Falcon main I don't think I'd like that one bit. In many cases it would like cause your opponent to survive the knee instead of die from it, as they'd go back towards the stage instead of away (if you were trying to kill them).

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Mit - It's a different hitbox. When you knee them, they aren't going to go backwards if you would have regularly had a sweetspotted knee. What this does it take one of the hitboxes behind the sweetspot, and give it the ability to send people backwards. Thus INCREASING the chance you'll sweetspot with it.

..At least, I believe.

GPDP

Smash Ace
You forgot hitstun. Hitstun is what made Falcon rise from bottom tier in the first place. Without it, even with all the other changes, he'd still be mediocre.

D

Deleted member

well I heard that the knee has now a hitbox extending to his chest or something, and I can land sweet knees quite easy.

that said I can't confirm there has actually been an increase in the hitbox(es)
I will check it with the other BRers

Mit

Smash Ace
"frames of sweetspot" "sweetspot hitbox"

Sweetspotted knees (unless they changed how they work in Brawl+ entirely) don't have specific frames and locations where they must be hit. In vanilla Brawl it's all timing. If you hit at the beginning of the knee animation, it's a sweetspot, no matter where you made contact with your opponent. You can sweetspot knees with your calf muscle.

I'm guessing they extended the entire knee's hitbox range behind him and maybe added a few frames to the time you can actually sweetspot a knee, although I still don't know how much I'd care for it.

That has to look crazy as well.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
alright, i don't know the actual terms used here then. kind of surprising to me, as much time as i floated around that IRC, but there're a lot of terms thrown around so i'm not too incompetent, hah.

anyhow, they don't have a hitbox size modifier yet. they can only alter the original ones, in KnockBack, direction of KB, and frames of exposure(Edit: and the effect the hitbox has, as in the electricity the knee gets).

i'd imagine they probably just added the same effect the hotbox had on the front, but the backwards hitbox, which i'll assume exists since how else would this've worked, was given its own sweetspot in the same period of time as the original and with a totally different trajectory.

storm92

Smash Ace
I love the Bair WOP-esque combos off the stage.
CF is too much fun in B+.

Does anyone have anything out of Dtilt yet? I know the rare occasion when I use it I can usually follow up with an aerial, but when the heck can and how do I lead into this thing, besides edgeguarding?

luvs2pluck

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have anything out of Dtilt yet? I know the rare occasion when I use it I can usually follow up with an aerial, but when the heck can and how do I lead into this thing, besides edgeguarding?
The Dtilt basically leads into everything a Dthrow would at the same percents, except Dtilt is a much better option because your opponent has much less time to DI it. The obvious problem with Dtilt is you pretty much have to be trying to land one to get it, theres no time to actually do it. Possibly when jabbing someone from the edge and they are out of grab range, so use Dtilt instead.

I also have EPIC news, Falcon has a grounded Dair > Pawnch combo on himself from like 108% to 125%

This also works on a few other characters (not many though). Of course knee also combos at this percent and kills from anywhere as well, but its much less cool.

D

Deleted member

the Dtilt is best used as a defensive move, disturbing an opponent that is stupid enough to dash into you.

EDIT:
ran a few tests on the Dthrow. it varies between 0 (jiggly) up to 5 (bowser) and that lst one was because I went side to side on FD, and might even have squeezed in a sixth if I used shorter dashes.
I will put up the complete list tomorrow or something

CloneHat

Smash Champion
My little sister was playing one of my friends who sucks at teching, and she hit him with a RAPTOR BOOST TO FALCON PUNCH COMBO. Twice. Use it on someone who doesn't expect it and it's hilarious.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
the Dtilt is best used as a defensive move, disturbing an opponent that is stupid enough to dash into you.

EDIT:
ran a few tests on the Dthrow. it varies between 0 (jiggly) up to 5 (bowser) and that lst one was because I went side to side on FD, and might even have squeezed in a sixth if I used shorter dashes.
I will put up the complete list tomorrow or something
DI, DI, DI. -_- god, im sticking to the old b+ thread.

D

Deleted member

ehm, it was already mentioned that it was based on bad DI. read.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Just got Brawl+, quick question. DThrow is ONLY supposed to chain on Fast Fallers right? I don't want to go trusting the CPU's DI and stuff.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
Just got Brawl+, quick question. DThrow is ONLY supposed to chain on Fast Fallers right? I don't want to go trusting the CPU's DI and stuff.
it only chains with bad DI. if someone DI's down and away, the most you'll get is a dash attack or if you're lucky a uair. trust me.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
Down & Away isn't even the best DI. It's even harder to follow up if they DI like this

if someone DI's up i find it easier to hit them. after playing D1's sheik, he found the best possible solution of DI'ing down and away, and tech roll which put him in a pretty safe spot. maybe DI is character dependant since sheik is a fast faller, she'd probably want to stay near the ground. she's pretty easy to combo just hard to approach/set-up combos.

Magus420

Smash Master
if someone DI's up i find it easier to hit them. after playing D1's sheik, he found the best possible solution of DI'ing down and away, and tech roll which put him in a pretty safe spot. maybe DI is character dependant since sheik is a fast faller, she'd probably want to stay near the ground. she's pretty easy to combo just hard to approach/set-up combos.
That angle that's pointing upwards is the default trajectory not how I was saying to DI the throw...

The angle of DI there makes them go a bit lower and more horizontal on the d-throw than down and away does.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
That angle that's pointing upwards is the default trajectory not how I was saying to DI the throw...

The angle of DI there makes them go a bit lower and more horizontal on the d-throw than down and away does.
i think i see what you mean, its also kind of what i meant but i guess i worded it wrong. i figured to go lower you had to DI lower

shanus

Smash Hero
DI'ing up and in from a dthrow at high percent can be very hard to follow up with

BEES

Smash Lord
Triple knee should be possible still. It's a very rare setup, but it's only a matter of time before someone pulls this off on video. A triple knee with a reverse knee thrown in should also be possible, but even harder to predict.

Combos not mentioned in the OP:
Fthrow-Knee (normally worse than dthrow, but it's useful to mess up opponents that expect the dthrow)
Dair-Dair-Knee (pretty common setup)

Kishin

Smash Ace
Triple knee should be possible still. It's a very rare setup, but it's only a matter of time before someone pulls this off on video. A triple knee with a reverse knee thrown in should also be possible, but even harder to predict.

Combos not mentioned in the OP:
Fthrow-Knee (normally worse than dthrow, but it's useful to mess up opponents that expect the dthrow)
Dair-Dair-Knee (pretty common setup)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kFsJeJEgUU&feature=channel_page

Does that count? (not me)

Clever_Sleazoid

Smash Apprentice
Dthrow in a Falcon Ditto is terrible, it's all about uthrow, becomes your ace in Falcon Dittos.

Dtilt is amazing. I just have to say. It can lead into knees and uairs at high percents, jabs at low percents, sometimes dash attacks. It's tricky to use but it has quite the large range actually, and can easily be worked in while youre pressuring.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Dair x3-> Raptor Boost -> Knee.

It is a really easy combo to perform, Its not a true combo because the dairs can be teched but some people may miss the tech so you can get keep using Dair then Raptor Boost and finish with a sexy Knee.

sandbags06

Smash Cadet
ive just started messing around with falcon in brawl+, and just out of curiosity, whats his best grab option while moving? the reverse grab, normal dash grab, or dash cancel grab? or is it all situational?

Top Bottom