• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox

primusfan

Smash Ace
I'm thinking about asking my parents for a 360 for my birthday (in April). There are so many great games that i'm missing out on. I play on my friends 360 sometimes but i'd like to have my own. I'm thinking about just getting the core version since it's less expensive. Does anyone in here own the core version? I ask cause all my friends own the Premium. So should I just get a core; or spend the extra $100 to get a premium?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Always go premium. You'll regret it later if you don't.

I am stuck in a limbo as to what to get. I am set on a PS3 as of now with Mercenaries 2, any future Ico games, and a few other titles. However, I am getting bored with what I have now. (just my PC really as I just use my PS2 for Guitar Hero) Tomorrow, I am bringing some games that I don't play anymore (Bully included. It was a fun game for a few minutes, then meh) to see how much I can get store credit-wise. Anyone want to show me some good titles coming out for 360 that isn't Halo feel free to PM or IM me on AIM (Name in profile; I am always on).

The biggest draw with the 360 is I can get it now, it has some really good games out, and Live is a great program. PS3 has the Blu-Ray, the higher end hardware (which in the long distance could be really useful as games get bigger), and I don't have to buy a Wifi Adaptor (really petty, but I hate buying add-ons like that for anything. I spent the extra dough to get an internal one in my laptop)

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Mass Effect.
Crackdown.
Bioshock.
Army of Two (also on PS3).
Grand Theft Auto IV (also on PS3, with exclusive after content for 360).
Overlord.
Too Human.
Stranglehold (also on PS3).
Forza Motorsport 2.
Lost Planet.
Banjo Kazooie.
Assassin's Creed (also on PS3).
Blue Dragon.
Lost Odyssey.
Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (though I'm sure you already plan on getting it for PC, Eric).
Fable 2.
Halo Wars.
Halo 3.

That list, along with others like Guitar Hero 2, DDR Universe, the Half Life 2 pack, and various Arcade titles, makes me pee my pants.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Bioshock is supposed to be on PC, I know. But what else will be on PC?

I already pre-ordered Assassin's Creed for PS3 today, but i can definitely switch it if I see a reason to.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Yeah, I'm just chiming in to say that Assassin's Creed is half the reason I'm planning to get an XBox 360. The game looks great.

The other reasons are Kameo, Oblivion, Halo 3 and the fact that the PS3 is too ****ing expensive. I'm sure I'll get some more games too, but those four are my must haves.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Careful with Oblivion. It's nothing like Morrowind which you could be immersed for months in just side quests and exploration. Oblivion is a much more combat oriented game while still being an RPG. It's head and shoulders above most games though. Just the PC has the benefit of infinite mods.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Careful with Oblivion. It's nothing like Morrowind which you could be immersed for months in just side quests and exploration. Oblivion is a much more combat oriented game while still being an RPG. It's head and shoulders above most games though. Just the PC has the benefit of infinite mods.
Yeah, but the only computers I have in my house that aren't more than four years old are laptops, and I don't think they could handle Oblivion. If I could buy it for PC, I would, but it's not going to happen.

As for the combat bit, I'm honestly happy about that. One of my main gripes with Morrowind was that the combat kind of... sucked. Melee combat was just mashing the attack button over and over, and ranged combat was even worse. I hear good things about fighting in Oblivion, and I'm **** glad for it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The combat is quite amazing and easy to get into. You'll have a blast.

My main problem was that it didn't take me long to overpower all monsters and I even started doing Oblivion Runs without taking out my weapons (average can go an 30 minutes to an hour; my shortest was 4 minutes).

Make sure to get that pack too for the add-ons.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*Over 2 year old bump!*

Rumor: ATI already won next gen Xbox deal

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15936/1/

"We've learned from industry sources that AMD / ATI has already won the GPU deal for the next generation XboX console. It looks like Microsoft was happy with first Xeons GPU and it wants to continue using the same, especially since the new ATI GPU should keep the compatibility with legacy games.

The consoles refresh was supposed to happen in 2010 but due to the recession both Microsoft and Sony have decided to push its plans for 2012 and keep the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 alive for more than it was originally planned.

We don’t know how the GPU looks like but judging from the timeline when it is supposed to be delivered we suspect that it might be a 28nm part."

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
****... ATi sucks compared to Nvidia. I refuse to use their products due to their lack of Linux support as well as the lack of ease in going dual card.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Happy 4th birthday, Xbox 360! It has been exactly 4 years (November 22nd, 2005) since the Xbox 360 launched in NA. I bought my 360 (20 GB Pro console with Call of Duty 3 included) in May of '07 and I'm currently on my 3rd 360. (got the RROD twice...) :)

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
Happy 4th birthday, Xbox 360! It has been exactly 4 years (November 22nd, 2005) since the Xbox 360 launched in NA. I bought my 360 (20 GB Pro console with Call of Duty 3 included) in May of '07 and I'm currently on my 3rd 360. (got the RROD twice...) :)
im so sorry for you.

X1-12

Smash Champion
what good non-shooting, non-racing games are there exclusive to the 360? including unreleased ones

I know about: (not sure how good they are..)
Fable 2 +3??
Star Ocean Last Hope (I hear there's gonna be a ps3 international version though..)
Banjo Kazooie (n64 ones were beast.. is this one?)

and yes I've posted the opposite on the PS3 thread

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
what good non-shooting, non-racing games are there exclusive to the 360? including unreleased ones

I know about: (not sure how good they are..)
Fable 2 +3??
Star Ocean Last Hope (I hear there's gonna be a ps3 international version though..)
Banjo Kazooie (n64 ones were beast.. is this one?)

and yes I've posted the opposite on the PS3 thread
Not exclusive, but Batman: Arkham Asylum's a great game for the 360. Yeah, you can play as the Joker on the PS3, but it's still a great one on the 360

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
My xbox 360 doesnt read disks anymore :(

is there any way to fix it?

im not covered by warranty and really dont want to spend the money. is there any way to fix this by myself?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
SentUAMessage is going to America! AND it's the British version (apparently). Aparently they're going to make less jokey intros and outros but hey, that shouldn't make much difference, it'll just be slighty more serious.

SuperKaylo, MrPointyHead and MSNJane are one of the best things about Inside Xbox so you Americans are in for a treat.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Is USB Storage In The Xbox 360's Future?

http://kotaku.com/5496600/is-usb-storage-in-the-xbox-360s-future

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/xbox-360-gaining-usb-storage-support-in-2010-update/

Currently the only external storage solution for the Xbox 360 is the Microsoft-produced Memory Unit, a relatively expensive way to add up to 512MB of storage to your console. That could all change this spring, according to Joystiq's information, when the Xbox 360 receives an update that will allow standard USB storage devices to function as Xbox 360 storage.

According to the documentation, the update will allow consoles to recognize USB drives from 1GB to 16GB, formatting them with an Xbox 360 system partition of 512MB, with the remainder of the space used to store game saves, DLC, Xbox Live Arcade titles, and even disc-based games, which can be played from the drive as long as you have the original disc inserted in the console.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
red rings kill small children
I have had one xbox for over 3 years, no red rings...if you don't screw with your xbox and mod it like a stupid person, then you'll be fine. What do you expect i you play your xbox, everyday, for 18 hours each day. only red death awaits

F8AL

Banned via Warnings

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Awesome, good thing I haven't gotten a memory unit yet then.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Xbox 360-branded 16GB drives from SanDisk coming in May

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/26/xbox-360-branded-16gb-drives-from-sandisk-coming-in-may/

Microsoft phasing out memory units and 120GB hard drive

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/26/microsoft-phasing-out-memory-units-and-120gb-hard-drive/

Xbox 360 Memory Units and the 120GB hard drive are being phased out. Acknowledging what's been in the stars since February, the Xbox spokesman stated that "the channel is being drained" of the storage options. The same goes for Memory Units, which, after today's official announcement of USB support, makes the MU even less useful.

Also, a rumor of an Xbox slim is floating around the Internet atm.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I have had one xbox for over 3 years, no red rings...if you don't screw with your xbox and mod it like a stupid person, then you'll be fine. What do you expect i you play your xbox, everyday, for 18 hours each day. only red death awaits
That's not true, my cousin rarely played his and he got red rings of death. Their PS3 is played way more and so far its not broke itself. You cant blame the consumer for Microsofts failings.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I've had a 360 since it's release.

Although it is temperamental.It thinks games are DVD's on occasion.It still works pretty much fine.

Never had red ring.

finalark

SNORLAX
So yeah, interesing story

I was haging out with some friends and my 360-owning buddying and I got into a debate over what the better console is, the PS3 or 360. Being a hardcore PS3 fanboy, I fight to the death to defend my console of choice. Then my friend made an offer, if he goes out and buys a PS3 to actually give it a change, then I have to go pick up a 360. I agree to these terms, not really thinking about it.

Fast forward three months, he actually does it. Not wanted to look like a prick who doesn't uphold his end of a deal, I plan to go out and pick one up this weekend. But I'm kind of new to owning a 360, so could you Microsoft fans give me some pointers?

Anyway, games that I want:

Mass Effect (I actually picked the first one up despite not yet owning a 360)
Mass Effect 2
Dead Rising
Sega All-Stars Racing (because the 360 is admittedly better)
Halo 3 (say what you will, but I like the Halo series)
Shenmue II
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Alan Wake
Portal 2
Perfect Dark 0

So any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks all!

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
That's not true, my cousin rarely played his and he got red rings of death. Their PS3 is played way more and so far its not broke itself. You cant blame the consumer for Microsofts failings.
yeah i can, as i've said i've had it for over three years and it's fine, you can't blame mircosoft for people's failings, i think it's simply the luck of the draw, when it comes to 360's it's a good machine and i prefer it over the PS3 for miles, it just has better....well everything ^^
I've had a 360 since it's release.

Although it is temperamental.It thinks games are DVD's on occasion.It still works pretty much fine.

Never had red ring.
Yeah it thought one of my cracked halo 3's was a dvd :laugh:

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
Fast forward three months, he actually does it. Not wanted to look like a prick who doesn't uphold his end of a deal, I plan to go out and pick one up this weekend. But I'm kind of new to owning a 360, so could you Microsoft fans give me some pointers?

Anyway, games that I want:

Mass Effect (I actually picked the first one up despite not yet owning a 360)
Mass Effect 2
Dead Rising
Sega All-Stars Racing (because the 360 is admittedly better)
Halo 3 (say what you will, but I like the Halo series)
Shenmue II
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Alan Wake
Portal 2
Perfect Dark 0

So any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks all!
For one, don't play your Xbox like mad. Get an Xbox live, and make sure you get a controler that has a chargeable battery pack, not the ones where you have to put batteries in it.

Games you should get:

Unreal tournament 3
Gears of War (get 2 if you want, but one is just better in my opinion)
CoD (all of them, they are better on the 360, trust me)
Bayonetta (It's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better on the 360)

btw don't get perfect dark, it sucks

finalark

SNORLAX
For one, don't play your Xbox like mad.
Elaborate. I kind of plan on spending my weekend playing Mass Effect for a billion hours stright....

Get an Xbox live, and make sure you get a controler that has a chargeable battery pack, not the ones where you have to put batteries in it.
I never particularly cared for online play, but I'll probably use it some degree. The arcade models they have in the Best Buy near me come with 12-month subscription and a controler with a charagable pack. So I'm set there.

Games you should get:

Unreal tournament 3
Gears of War (get 2 if you want, but one is just better in my opinion)
CoD (all of them, they are better on the 360, trust me)
Bayonetta (It's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better on the 360)

btw don't get perfect dark, it sucks
While I don't like the CoD series, I always liked Unreal Tourney, so I'll probably look into that. And I'm planning on borrowing both Gears games from my friend, but I didn't really like Bayonetta (I never really liked 'beat-'em-ups). I might pick up Perfect Dark for cheap used, if not just for the lulz. Thanks for the advice.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Consider getting Halo 3. That's a great game to start off playing--my first Xbox game as well.

Top Bottom