• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Hey, I wondering if anyone could help me with this problem. See im at school and they set it where the MTU is too low to connect to live, cant even change it with my router. So lately i been thinking......Would it be possible to use one of those internet usb things u plug into your laptop, connect your laptop to my xbox, and connect to live that way?
I don't see why not.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
I'm considering getting a 360, but I don't know. My parents aren't exactly fond of my hobby of playing video games, and the only time I'm allowed to is during Friday night, with a few exceptions such as holidays. The main games I want are SSFIV and Halo: Reach. Honestly, I'm not too interested into their other titles that I can already get on the Wii. So what should I do?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I have been in your shoes.

Only one thing you can do: Do really good in school and after you get some reward, beg them to get you an xbox.

They might say yes, but then you'll always be waiting for the weekend to play it, and then your time will be up and you can't wait for the next week. Nothing you can do about those feelings.

Also you could try sneaking your xbox and play it, at the risk of being grounded.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'm considering getting a 360, but I don't know. My parents aren't exactly fond of my hobby of playing video games, and the only time I'm allowed to is during Friday night, with a few exceptions such as holidays. The main games I want are SSFIV and Halo: Reach. Honestly, I'm not too interested into their other titles that I can get on the Wii. So what should I do?
Maybe you can find a part time job and buy your own 360? Then you can buy all the great exclusives the console has! :)

I have been in your shoes.

Only one thing you can do: Do really good in school and after you get some reward, beg them to get you an xbox.

They might say yes, but then you'll always be waiting for the weekend to play it, and then your time will be up and you can't wait for the next week. Nothing you can do about those feelings.

Also you could try sneaking your xbox and play it, at the risk of being grounded.
Not worth it IMO.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Lol what you said is another option. But, it also depends on his/her age too.

I remember earlier when I wanted to work to get my own things but couldn't, because I was only 13.

But I still feel doing good in school and asking when you do a good thing, can help.

Or like F8Al said, get a job. : 3

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm not old enough to get a job. Maybe in a few years...
Not going to dare sneaking on, my parents would kill me
Guess I'll try improving in school, but I doubt that will work considering the grudge my parents have against games in general.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I'm not old enough to get a job. Maybe in a few years...
Not going to dare sneaking on, my parents would kill me
Guess I'll try improving in school, but I doubt that will work considering the grudge my parents have against games in general.
Do you have any brothers? If so, maybe try asking them if they want to split it? (Like, maybe if you get money for your birthday or Christmas/other holidays.)

Show them that you can concentrate and get good grades in school, balance a regular life and play video games at the same time!

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
Do you have any brothers? If so, maybe try asking them if they want to split it? (Like, maybe if you get money for your birthday or Christmas/other holidays.)

Show them that you can concentrate and get good grades in school, balance a regular life and play video games at the same time!
I don't have a brother, just a sister. I have enough money to buy it (money from holidays, not earned) but my parents won't let me use it.
Thanks for the advice, hopefully I'll be able to maintain a really solid GPA this semester.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
If you guys want some 0 point achievements and sweet avatar clothing, then this is for you!

http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/03/10/xbox-live-labs.aspx

As a part of our ongoing commitment to improve Xbox LIVE, we are rolling out an optional testing program called Xbox LIVE Labs. Xbox LIVE Labs performs a number of network tests from your console to Xbox LIVE. These results are recorded solely for the purpose of testing and improving the service. Although we want your support, participating in Xbox LIVE Labs is entirely optional and voluntary. These results are recorded solely for the purpose of testing and improving the service and will not be used to identify you.

If you choose to participate, each completed test rewards you with a cool Avatar item and a zero point achievement as a thank you for your contribution.

There are a total of three Avatar items and three zero point achievements that you can earn for each completed test, including a lab coat, brain helmet, and crazy mad scientist hair!

Xbox LIVE Labs runs from March 10-27 and is open to all Xbox LIVE members living in the United States.

You will not be able to participate in other Xbox LIVE activities, such as gaming, watching movies or downloading music, while running Xbox LIVE Labs, and your Internet connectivity may be slower than usual.
If you ask me, this is stupid. If I turn on my 360, I expect to play games, not stare at it.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Good point. plus they are getting testers for free basically, because 3 0 point achievements and 3 avatar items I wouldn't use are basically worth nothing. Now if they paid me actual money I would do this.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
This also takes a lot of bandwidth, so this is definitely not for people with ISPs with bandwidth limits.

finalark

SNORLAX
Forget achievements and avatar crap, how about a free month of XBL Gold? I can guarantee that they would be more people that way.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Xbox 360 System Update Preview

http://majornelson.com/2011/03/29/xbox-360-system-update-preview/

We are conducting an open call for US based participants* for a public preview to help us prepare for an updated Xbox 360 disc format. This is an important update as we continually strive to improve our products and we could not do so without the help of our great Xbox community. As part of the preview program, you will receive a copy of Halo: Reach along with other possible rewards.

- We’re looking for multiple thousands of participants, so your chances of making it in are good.
- This opportunity is open to Xbox LIVE Members in US region only*. :mad:
- To avoid any problems, read the survey carefully and double check all the information you provide.
- While both Xbox LIVE Gold and Silver members can sign up, priority will be given to Gold members in the selection process.

*SIGH* Another US exclusive 360 thing. :mad:

EDIT: Closed now.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
There is a free XBL gold weekend which will run from Thursday April 21st to Monday April 25th.

Just thought I'd let any silver/free members out there know.

finalark

SNORLAX
There is a free XBL gold weekend which will run from Thursday April 21st to Monday April 25th.

Just thought I'd let any silver/free members out there know.
Awesome, five days of Reach and stuff.

Man, I wish that Silver members could play online. I understand restricting some of the nicer features of XBL to Gold Members but something as basic as online play should be free.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
i miss my 360. :'(

my sister randomly popped by one night & was like "OMG KINECT!" and i've lost it ever since...

XBL: Squeee Woxy

(once i take it back)

finalark

SNORLAX
Not gonna lie, the first time I used my hands to navigate the Xbox menus my mind was blown.

Then I tried to actually play a game with it.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
just wait until child of eden is released, hand waving looks dope on that thing

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
They just changed the free XBL weekend for only Europeans...:mad:
Finally something other than U.S. only stuff..

Not that it helps much, as I don't actually have any games that could be played online, or even a TV that works with a 360.

teva

Smash Cadet
My xbox is just collecting dust atm until Battlefield 3 comes out. God I can't wait for that game! =)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The only reason I use my 360 at this point is to play Black Ops with Team SWF and to play some demos or classic games/DVDs.

I haven't actually been doing a boatload of gaming lately.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
So yeah, Hulu Plus is coming to the 360 tomorrow. It'll be free for a limited time (till May 6th) to all silver free/gold XBL members.

I don't think Hulu Plus is available here in Canada so as usual I am :c

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Develop Rumor: New Xbox console on desks at EA

Source: http://www.develop-online.net/news/37618/Develop-source-New-Xbox-console-on-desks-at-EA

The successor to the Xbox 360 console is on desks at an unnamed Electronic Arts studio, Develop understands. The new hardware, sent to EA last month, is a very early build with no casing – it is in fact being stored inside a PC shell.

The source believed, but did not have certain information, that the new Xbox would launch by the end of 2012. The individual expects an announcement will be made, at least in some form, at E3.
Microsoft is scrambling/rushing to steal Nintendo's thunder at E3 lol.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
A new dashboard updating is coming on the 27th

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/09/source-xbox-360-spring-2011-update-launches-may-19-adds-paypal/

Aside from offering support for the new Microsoft disc format -- which will "be used in future game titles releasing later in 2011" -- the spring system update will enable PayPal support on the console, extending the payment option "to new international markets." PayPal will be "the only user facing feature" of the update.
Nothing too drastic, at least they're adding PayPal support.

Top Bottom