• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Mlg Ban Mk? What Will Be There Ruleset?

Bwoodboy18

Smash Cadet
A lot of pros play MK. Pros are the ones getting sponsored. Which generates money for MLG and the player. Most people who want MK banned are scrubs who don't usually attend tournaments or they are top players saying these things so they can have one less hard match up, for their own advantageous gain. MLG won't ban MK because if they do, they will lose the customers that actually do go to tournaments, since the majority of traveling pros play as MK. It would definitely be a bad financial decision if they ban MK because of this. I thought this was obvious. Apparently not. -_-
In my opinion, there not very "pro" if all they know how to do is use MK. I'm pretty sure not all the pros are gonna drop there controllers and walk out if there beloved MK gets banned.

But it doesn't matter to me, I don't care what happens just as long as I get a good match win or lose.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
A lot of pros play MK. Pros are the ones getting sponsored. Which generates money for MLG and the player. Most people who want MK banned are scrubs who don't usually attend tournaments or they are top players saying these things so they can have one less hard match up, for their own advantageous gain. MLG won't ban MK because if they do, they will lose the customers that actually do go to tournaments, since the majority of traveling pros play as MK. It would definitely be a bad financial decision if they ban MK because of this. I thought this was obvious. Apparently not. -_-
It's all been said before. Only thing left is to make it official. MK needs to be banned.

D

Deleted member

Not everyone is a master with Meta Knight. I'm one of those people.

So I'm against a ban of Meta Knight.

Never Emperor

Smash Cadet
From my experiences with MLG, They will not ban MK unless it is accepted in our community.

They will use our rule set.... They are NOT Evo.

From my experiences that is.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
From my experiences with MLG, They will not ban MK unless it is accepted in our community.

They will use our rule set.... They are NOT Evo.

From my experiences that is.
If that's the case then our community favors a ban. Also, if you call yourself a pro and only use 1 character, then that doesn't make you very pro. I'm not saying play with everyone either but having secondaries isn't bad.

TL?

Smash Ace
I'm not going to say whether they should ban him or not, but I doubt they will ban MK.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
No MK means no M2K
no hype -.-
Actually M2K said MK should be limited because the community "evolving" in a way of planking and playing gay is stupid.
That doesn't necissarily mean he's pro ban, but he could just pick up a differnet character.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'm fine with either decision MLG will make in regards to MK, but I'm worried about the audience if they do keep MK in. We know how to deal with MK and accept him, but I don't want them to be bored with slow matches (although, obviously, MK isn't the only character who can make matches last long, but...).

That would make us look really... bad. :(

:069:

Iliad

Smash Lord
Actually M2K said MK should be limited because the community "evolving" in a way of planking and playing gay is stupid.
That doesn't necissarily mean he's pro ban, but he could just pick up a differnet character.
If banning MK means he'll pick up marth and suddenly like **** the metagame with him, I'm all for banning MK.

Bwoodboy18

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure if MK gets banned M2K won't cry, He is to good to just use MK I'm sure he will give us some surprises when he picks someone like Gannon and ***** the competition lol.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I have a (logical) feeling MK won't be banned if the community doesn't make a firm decision. But he'll more than likely be restricted.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
If that's the case then our community favors a ban. Also, if you call yourself a pro and only use 1 character, then that doesn't make you very pro. I'm not saying play with everyone either but having secondaries isn't bad.
By your logic, Daigo isn't a pro either since he pretty much uses only Ryu in every Street Fighter game except for SF3. Even tho he wins tournies all over the world.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
LOL. Funny.

But seriously, I wish the planking and scrooging rules were easier to enforce than texting bans on truck drivers, but we can't all get what we want.

I'm still neutralin this "debate".

Laem

Smash Champion
im glad to say mlg defies the 'rule' of banning mk will lower the amount of entrants(MK mainers). i mean.. its MLG, not a random tourney. people(that includes mk haters even!) are gonna be attracted to this whatever happens.
Banning mk also automatically solves all significant planking issues.

and ADHD is pro.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
MLG won't ban this character... they're a RESPECTABLE gaming league!

Oh wait, they picked up Brawl this season.... Nevermind.
lol @ this

MLG had better ban MK or GF will always be stalling matches. that will cause people to lose interest in this game, FAST. no one will pick it up except more MKs. causing the problem to grow.

@people who say "get better", DMG proved its literally impossible to hit MK when he planks correctly. even if you do something frame perfect, you lose

nevershootme

Smash Master
lol @ this

MLG had better ban MK or GF will always be stalling matches. that will cause people to lose interest in this game, FAST. no one will pick it up except more MKs. causing the problem to grow.

@people who say "get better", DMG proved its literally impossible to hit MK when he planks correctly. even if you do something frame perfect, you lose
it pretty much proves my point that if that's going to happen (win $2k or $12k because of planking), then MLG will more likely to drop Brawl for next year, but there are loopholes... not to mention u are signing contracts with MLG for being on pro status. i dont' care banned or not, but expect the consequences for this cause, don't forget you don't get your winnings until the next MLG after the one u attend is completed

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
im glad to say mlg defies the 'rule' of banning mk will lower the amount of entrants(MK mainers). i mean.. its MLG, not a random tourney. people(that includes mk haters even!) are gonna be attracted to this whatever happens.
Banning mk also automatically solves all significant planking issues.

and ADHD is pro.
Almost all planking issues.
Other characters can do it, but it's not nearly as effective and those characters' options are comparatively limited.
Everyone keep this in mind.

Conti

Smash Ace
Metaknight hasn't won a nationial in how long? That's all I have to say... learn the matchup n get ur game up...

Oh and mk shud have a 40ledgegrab rule... problem solved

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
now what about the issue on akuma being banned from HDRemix in EVO, was there complaints to the extreme and outrage? but still people attended and had fun.
No, there wasn't complaints to the extreme, on the contrary, there were calls to ban him. Everyone knows that Akuma was broken in HDR, and it was through thorough testing that it was well known.

Metaknight is a problem character because the Smash community doesn't know how to handle him. Sure, he dominates the match ups, but anyone with half a brain knows how to beat him. I don't care if he is banned or not in MLG, all I know is that he isn't banned by SBR, and that is all that really counts.

p8nted

Smash Apprentice
No, there wasn't complaints to the extreme, on the contrary, there were calls to ban him. Everyone knows that Akuma was broken in HDR, and it was through thorough testing that it was well known.

Metaknight is a problem character because the Smash community doesn't know how to handle him. Sure, he dominates the match ups, but anyone with half a brain knows how to beat him. I don't care if he is banned or not in MLG, all I know is that he isn't banned by SBR, and that is all that really counts.
SBR is re-evaluating their position in preparation for MLG. With the new planking tactics that people have discovered, MK's planking is legitimately broken. Whether this is enough for SBR to ban him is all that remains to be seen. MLG will be using SBR rules so it's up to us, not MLG, to decide to ban him.

How I see it is that there are two options: either come up with a solid, enforceable rule to prevent planking or ban MK. The way things are going, MK stands a good chance to be banned since there is no rule that can accurately differentiate between true planking and just grabbing the edge a lot.

What's interesting is that I have yet to see a planking mk in tourney so to me it's kind of a mute point and I wouldn't mind even if he didn't get banned.

On another note, M2K told me in person that he plans to quit brawl if MK is banned. Though I think he likes the game too much to actually quit. =^_^=

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
On another note, M2K told me in person that he plans to quit brawl if MK is banned. Though I think he likes the game too much to actually quit. =^_^=
See, I find this sad. Not because it would be a great player leaving, but because a great player refuses to play as anyone other than the obviously highest tier character.

Someone like that obviously has the skill to pick up another character, succeed with that character and bring that character to an entirely new level of play, but for whatever reason they'd rather play as the one character people have any huge issues with. It seems like such a waste to me.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
MLG banning Meta Knight? They might as well put a rope around their necks. They're supposed to support competitive play.
I know, right? Brawl in MLG will result in a much more competitive environment with MK still around.

May the best planker win.

Velox

Smash Ace
But in 2010, MLG hit rock bottom by allowing Super Smash Brothers Brawl to enter it's lineup, amidst pressure from obstinate Brawl fans (people hopelessly clinging onto the doomed and horribly altered nintendo corporation).

KnightMare516

Smash Lord
aight this is gonna be huge, and i think mlg will grow with brawl now added. This is what the community wanted for so long. Here is the thing. Do u guys realize why mlg dropped melee in the first place. Melee wasnt dying... or anything like that. in the beginning mlg signed these pros. People like ken, Killer OR,, isai, chudat etc. These guys won, alot and mlg was collecting because they sponsored the winners. MLG is greedy, tbh cause all of a sudden these random guys called DA with PC chris were winning everything and people they didn't sign or sponsor was winning. They saw inconsistency with who was winning and they DONT wanna give everyone sponsorships. So once the winners started changing it made mlg look bad ad coincidently melee was dropped after there sponsored players were losing.

With brawl the way it is. It will be EVEN MORE inconsistent than melee. ADHD wins one day, ALLY wins another, and their top 16 wont always be top 16. What happens when someone rises up from friggin timbuckto and beats all there sponsors with mk. Goodbye brawl.

Bwoodboy18

Smash Cadet
I suppose in the end, its all Sakurai's fault.......He had one to many drinks when he wrote the script for brawl. Although does anyone notice that Sakurai has the tendency to boost his characters? Kirby in SSB64 was crazy, he was nerfed slightly in Melee but could still kick ***.

Then Brawl came out and he had MetaKnight in a tier completely on his own and DeDeDe has an infinity chain grab....I don't know if that was intentional but I know MetaKnight was.

Plus, Tripping....

nevershootme

Smash Master
I suppose in the end, its all Sakurai's fault.......He had one to many drinks when he wrote the script for brawl. Although does anyone notice that Sakurai has the tendency to boost his characters? Kirby in SSB64 was crazy, he was nerfed slightly in Melee but could still kick ***.

Then Brawl came out and he had MetaKnight in a tier completely on his own and DeDeDe has an infinity chain grab....I don't know if that was intentional but I know MetaKnight was.

Plus, Tripping....
well nintendo hardly does much to work with established communities on feedback to tweak the game... not to mention nintendo doesn't like like dlc' ish stuff...

remember... it's only a party game, not a 1v1 game for which it was designed for

Bwoodboy18

Smash Cadet
Well I never used him so my judgment could be rocky.

Even so, Brawl was half *****. I guess that's why I find it more enjoyable then melee its harder to be good with so much crap to overcome.

Also because my melee has died....it stopped working in 06 T_T

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
SBR is re-evaluating their position in preparation for MLG. With the new planking tactics that people have discovered, MK's planking is legitimately broken. Whether this is enough for SBR to ban him is all that remains to be seen. MLG will be using SBR rules so it's up to us, not MLG, to decide to ban him.

How I see it is that there are two options: either come up with a solid, enforceable rule to prevent planking or ban MK. The way things are going, MK stands a good chance to be banned since there is no rule that can accurately differentiate between true planking and just grabbing the edge a lot.

What's interesting is that I have yet to see a planking mk in tourney so to me it's kind of a mute point and I wouldn't mind even if he didn't get banned.

People do just drop the ban hammer indiscriminately. Once upon a time, Arcades were the thing in the U.S. and consoles were forced to evolve to meet the arcade's standard.

Since EVO's evolution to console in 2002, people are still trying to force the arcade standard to the consoles. For example, in Capcom vs SNK 2, there were two console exclusive characters(Evil Ryu and Orochi Iori). Today, they simply ban them not because they are broken, but it doesn't conform to the "standard".

One of the several factors that I look at when banning a character is the results of other tournaments. Recently, MK is NOT winning a lot of tournaments, especially big money tournaments. This tells me that either, a, the community itself is soft banning him, or, b, people finding ways to defeat him. I'm willing to bet the latter since the same handful of people who were winning are still winning. To me, this points to the fact that people are smart enough to beat a good MK with a perfect main.

Top Bottom