• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Mlg Ban Mk? What Will Be There Ruleset?

Destrawr

Smash Cadet
Scrub without MK = Scrub
Scrub with MK = Pro

That's the way it works =/

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
@people who say "get better", DMG proved its literally impossible to hit MK when he planks correctly. even if you do something frame perfect, you lose
He proved it was technically possible. No one has ever proved that any of that is humanly possible. I would prefer to see results first.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
aight this is gonna be huge, and i think mlg will grow with brawl now added. This is what the community wanted for so long. Here is the thing. Do u guys realize why mlg dropped melee in the first place. Melee wasnt dying... or anything like that. in the beginning mlg signed these pros. People like ken, Killer OR,, isai, chudat etc. These guys won, alot and mlg was collecting because they sponsored the winners. MLG is greedy, tbh cause all of a sudden these random guys called DA with PC chris were winning everything and people they didn't sign or sponsor was winning. They saw inconsistency with who was winning and they DONT wanna give everyone sponsorships. So once the winners started changing it made mlg look bad ad coincidently melee was dropped after there sponsored players were losing.

With brawl the way it is. It will be EVEN MORE inconsistent than melee. ADHD wins one day, ALLY wins another, and their top 16 wont always be top 16. What happens when someone rises up from friggin timbuckto and beats all there sponsors with mk. Goodbye brawl.
They also were forced to drop all non-xbox games otherwise they would have lost rights to Halo (their flagship title), but sure let's ignore that and say that it was because new players were winning.

If you've payed attention to Halo at all in the past year or two you would see that different teams have been placing in the top 8. The top teams who have been top teams are still placing well but there will ALWAYS be new and young talent who will rise and up and compete with and beat the best. Halo has seen a good amount of top team changes this past season but they aren't dropping Halo are they?

New players placing high and doing well isn't going to cause them to drop a game.

Banks

Smash Hero
I suppose in the end, its all Sakurai's fault.......He had one to many drinks when he wrote the script for brawl. Although does anyone notice that Sakurai has the tendency to boost his characters? Kirby in SSB64 was crazy, he was nerfed slightly in Melee but could still kick ***.

Then Brawl came out and he had MetaKnight in a tier completely on his own and DeDeDe has an infinity chain grab....I don't know if that was intentional but I know MetaKnight was.

Plus, Tripping....
kirby is the worst character in melee aside from Pichu, just fyi

he was nerfed hardcore from 64 to melee, then buffed back up for brawl.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
Alright well do you guys think they will keep the same ruleset and im sure they will get rid of all the hacks.
They'll more than likely use the SBR ruleset, I really don't see why they wouldn't at least. And as for hacked stuff, MLG will be buying new Wii consoles for this so they'll have nothing on them. There won't be any hacked material.

Banks

Smash Hero
lol MLG officials have to play through subspace emissary five hundred times because you can't transfer data

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
With an SD card, yes. But that may require hacking. I forget what does and what does not after being able to do anything to my wii...
I feel like without hacking you should be able to save data to an SD card and load it onto another system. Otherwise what's the point of the SD card for the Wii?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
MK is like the most entertaining character in the game. if MK got banned brawl would be so boring to watch. =[

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
Again, I really don't think they'll have to. They might only have to play through it once and put the data on an SD card and put it on all the other Wii's.

Bwoodboy18

Smash Cadet
MK is like the most entertaining character in the game. if MK got banned brawl would be so boring to watch. =[
I couldn't disagree more, how could watching nothing but MK be fun? If I was new to the world of smash and saw a tourney where any character was overused it would make me think twice about wanting to get involved plus all of the planking that can be done using him would make things worse.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
Yea, between planking and gliding under the stage I find MK to be the most boring to watch. That and I just feel like I see the same move spammed over and over again.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
An aggressive MK is more fun to watch than almost every character.
The problem here is that this is now an argument of opinion. Because I can say that no matter how the MK plays, I find it boring to watch. But, you can enjoy any playstyle of MK and regardless of what anyone says, your opinion isn't likely to change.

So...basically this argument would end up going nowhere, haha.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
IMO, this entire MK issue could be averted by having the loser counterpick a different stage AND ban a character.

This way, people would be forced to pick up more than one character as well as making sure MK stays in check. Pro-ban? Ban MK. Anti-ban? Ban your counter.

Of course, it'll never happen with so many people having the mindset that this is a standard fighting game that should have similar tournament rules and such.

Hmm... What I would like to know is what ever MLG decides will affect it affect the community here at all?

It would be interesting to see how things turn out is all.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
he isn't being banned. MLG only care about money.
Not true actually. They care about fair rules for their games. Yes, they need to make money, they ARE a business. I can say with a fair amount of conviction that even with an MK ban, they would probably still sell out their passes at every event.

IMO, this entire MK issue could be averted by having the loser counterpick a different stage AND ban a character.

This way, people would be forced to pick up more than one character as well as making sure MK stays in check. Pro-ban? Ban MK. Anti-ban? Ban your counter.

Of course, it'll never happen with so many people having the mindset that this is a standard fighting game that should have similar tournament rules and such.
I don't disagree that Brawl should be treated a little differently than a normal fighter, but I'm not sure that's the best way to handle things. Yes, it would force someone to pick up multiple characters but someone shouldn't necessarily HAVE to learn more than once character.

What if someone literally spends every possible minute using a character (for arguments sake, a low tier character like Ganon). Let's this person has mastered this character to the extent that they literally play that character to perfection and no one is able to beat them. This person could, theoretically, 3-stock their opponent and not take a single hit and then next game the opponent could ban their character and, while general techniques maybe transfer over, they don't know the in's and out's of whoever they have to choose to play as for the next round and they lose. Is that fair? Is the opponent truly better?

There's just a lot of questions with it. I really don't think a middle ground is going to be possible. I think it needs to be a black or white situation. Either ban MK or don't. The best idea may be to allow him at Orlando and see what happens. See if they live stream gets positive feed back; see if there are too many people stalling as MK; see what happens. And then, based on Orlando's results (in terms of placings and ratings), make the decision about MK being banned in Columbus.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I can't wait to see $12,500 national win all because of planking...

jeez, just wait patiently for the official rules... banned or not you're still fighting for $2k every MLG tourney.

heck who knows if MLG feels like making custom maps. just stop going to conclusions quickly as the announcement was ****ing 3 days ago.

chill pills kids
I do beleive someone should get mlg to use the no tripping hack, its harmless and it only makes the gaemplay better. I dont wan to trip into ikes fsmash and lose 2k

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I do beleive someone should get mlg to use the no tripping hack, its harmless and it only makes the gaemplay better. I dont wan to trip into ikes fsmash and lose 2k
Then I suggest not dashing at Ike when he is fsmashing.

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
What countries is MK banned in??? I personally don't know what they will decide but the online qualifier starts soon so a decision will have to be made. A lot of people would be upset if he got banned I think but the tournament would be a lot more interesting and we would def see a nice assortment of characters.

Bwoodboy18

Smash Cadet
I am still for banning MK, I have nothing against him personally but I would like to see him banned so we see a lot more diversity and skill level with the rest of the roster.

People keep saying MLG will lose money, there not just hosting Brawl its not even there main event Halo 3 is then they have Tekken 6 and Modern Warfare 2. So what if they lose a small amount of players who use MK I highly doubt it will put a dent in there ability to make money.

People keep saying MLG will lose money, there not just hosting Brawl its not even there main event Halo 3 is then they have Tekken 6 and Modern Warfare 2. So what if they lose a small amount of players who use MK I highly doubt it will put a dent in there ability to make money.
MLG also wants big names at their events, M2K springs to mind here.

JOE!

Smash Hero
lets look at it this way for a second:

will MLG make more money from a plethora of MK players joining?

or from a WAVE of players coming to the event with their respective characters now that they dont have to deal with the little *******?

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
no one thats runs an organization like mlg would think like that. you dont just lose $$$ cuz you dont care. you make money cuz its your job (literally and figuratively)

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
I think people are really missing the point that since there are only a certain number of player passes, I would put the odds at 90% that they sell out all of those passes regardless of MK being banned or not. In which case, they've made exactly the money they wanted to make for that event. I'd bet that even if they sold 80-90% of the total passes, they'd still be making money on the game.

Bwoodboy18

Smash Cadet
no one thats runs an organization like mlg would think like that. you dont just lose $$$ cuz you dont care. you make money cuz its your job (literally and figuratively)
There is also the possibility that, if there is a large number of MK users other people who might not be able to compete will be turned off and not show which could mean they would lose more money in the case MK isn't banned or restricted to some extent.

MLG is trying to make money true, but I'm also sure there trying to sponsor the game to get people to play it as well which if there are like say 15 tourney brackets with nothing but MK out of lets say 20 that also might turn people away.

These are possibilities that should be considered no one says it will happen though but its good to keep things like that in mind.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well for the practicality of banning him, which makes more money? Spectators or MK only pro's? The decision should be based off that.

Now the only thing that makes me mad is the people who say "learn the match-up". Brawl turned from competitive (warily used) fighting game to "who can beat MK the best". To place decent in a tournament you have to be an average player with above average meta knight handling skills...

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
Not true actually. They care about fair rules for their games. Yes, they need to make money, they ARE a business. I can say with a fair amount of conviction that even with an MK ban, they would probably still sell out their passes at every event.

I don't disagree that Brawl should be treated a little differently than a normal fighter, but I'm not sure that's the best way to handle things. Yes, it would force someone to pick up multiple characters but someone shouldn't necessarily HAVE to learn more than once character.

What if someone literally spends every possible minute using a character (for arguments sake, a low tier character like Ganon). Let's this person has mastered this character to the extent that they literally play that character to perfection and no one is able to beat them. This person could, theoretically, 3-stock their opponent and not take a single hit and then next game the opponent could ban their character and, while general techniques maybe transfer over, they don't know the in's and out's of whoever they have to choose to play as for the next round and they lose. Is that fair? Is the opponent truly better?

There's just a lot of questions with it. I really don't think a middle ground is going to be possible. I think it needs to be a black or white situation. Either ban MK or don't. The best idea may be to allow him at Orlando and see what happens. See if they live stream gets positive feed back; see if there are too many people stalling as MK; see what happens. And then, based on Orlando's results (in terms of placings and ratings), make the decision about MK being banned in Columbus.
The first point absolutely disqualifies the second. MLG is smart people. They can do the hours of reading through tournament results and get sufficient data to make the determination on their own, but they shouldn't sacrifice one tournament just to make one determination.

Let me tell you this, SBR had two polls concerning MK for a vote in the rule set, and both times the additional votes have failed to make the required super majority for a rule set change.

Top Bottom