• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi is one of the best ways to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

'V'

Smash Lord
I've actually found myself to play worse when going from online to offline matches. That might just be me though.

D20

Smash Lord
Wow. Just wow. Seriously? Man up and travel for some competition. This is one of the reasons why I dislike the Brawl community (nothing against the game). The Brawl community hides behind their TVs and computer monitors and never actually have to FACE their competition. Plus, I'd rather drive for 2 hours and play guys like Drephen and Watty than turn on my Wii and play someone called MarthMaster360 or IkeIsAwesome23.

I have made some of my best friends from traveling for competitive Melee. I have met awesome people from all over the US and have had some of the greatest times of my life. You guys can do it with Brawl, too. Quit looking for an easy way out... *insert Robert Frost poem here*.

PS - LAG.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Some of us do not have the luxury of having money and traveling privileges

So before you go bad mouthing others D20; not everyone has an organized smash scene, not everyone has the freedom, and rights to do as they please-- maybe you should reflect on that some more before you go **** posting in a thread designed to help the already, aforementioned people

D20

Smash Lord
Some of us do not have the luxury of having money and traveling privileges

So before you go bad mouthing others D20; not everyone has an organized smash scene, not everyone has the freedom, and rights to do as they please-- maybe you should reflect on that some more before you go **** posting in a thread designed to help the already, aforementioned people
No johns. Also, you do realize that you live right in the center of one of the biggest smash hubs in the country? Columbus has 50+ player tournaments every other month.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
That doesn't exactly mean that he/she has the rights to do as pleased.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I pay for my own bills and we're in the middle of bad economic times. So while you use mommy and daddys money to drive 4 hours to a smash tournie, im paying my own health insurance and working on something called life

I dont john, thats such a childish retort. Can you come up with something more original please?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Wow. Just wow. Seriously? Man up and travel for some competition. This is one of the reasons why I dislike the Brawl community (nothing against the game). The Brawl community hides behind their TVs and computer monitors and never actually have to FACE their competition. Plus, I'd rather drive for 2 hours and play guys like Drephen and Watty than turn on my Wii and play someone called MarthMaster360 or IkeIsAwesome23.

I have made some of my best friends from traveling for competitive Melee. I have met awesome people from all over the US and have had some of the greatest times of my life. You guys can do it with Brawl, too. Quit looking for an easy way out... *insert Robert Frost poem here*.

PS - LAG.
Quoted for epic fail of a post. I laughed so hard reading this. Condescension, generalization, unoriginality... this post has it all.

In other news, WiFi is one of the best ways to improve!

Who knew?

:034:

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
thank you for this. why some players say wifi isn't, i don't know. i tell them it is.

hmm yes, very good read.

Dracospawn

Smash Journeyman
I could tell you that but then I'f have to...ummmm
If you wanna get better, get a couple of offline friends, and have a smashfest.
What offline friends? Everyone in my vicinity that I am aware of sucks at SSBB. If you dislike online so much stop posting here.

:034:[/QUOTE]

PS - LAG.
Can't travel to tourneys. Don't have the time, the desire, the money and I am pretty happy beating the crap out everyone I meet online. I'm not even old enough for a job yet. Can't meet anyone offline I wanna play so what else am I supposed to do? CPUs are boring now. You learn from online anyway. You see people who are better than you are, a challenge, without even leaving my room. Besides I have a life, school to worry about, the last thing I need is to tourney.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
You guys are right. I'm dumb.

So, who all is going to *pound* 4?
Obvious sarcasm is pathetically obvious.

Why is it that all the trolls seem to think everyone who posts in these boards only plays WiFi? Like this n00b asks who's going to *pound* 4 as if he's 100% certain none of us are. The level of knowledge and insight that trolls display is slipping these days. It's getting too easy and boring to argue with them :(

D20

Smash Lord
I'm sorry I don't share the same opinion that almost everyone in this thread has. I'm not a troll. I'm not a n00b. I'm actually a fairly well-respected member of Melee community.

I apologize if I came across as overly aggressive with my original post... I was not trying to start a flame war. Allow me to clarify my position.

Coming from a community that was built on face-to-face interactions, I find it difficult to imagine that playing Smash online would be an adequate means to improve one's game. These games rely on split-second, often frame-perfect, timing, and any type of lag would ruin the learning experience for me. In addition, I find that the level of competition will almost always be higher when playing at smash fests or at tournaments. Quite simply, the unskilled (and unmotivated) players stay home and the quality players show up. As I said before, I would much rather know that I am having solid competition than deal with the hit-and-miss of online gaming. Finally, when playing someone in person, you have the ability to have a conversation with them and learn both how and why they make certain choices. I just disagree with the statement that "WiFi is one of the best ways to improve".

~D20

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
but it's been proven as such >.>

obviously it depends on who you're playing and ofc there would have to be minimal lag.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
1st: ADHD (Diddy Kong) - played wifi extensively
2nd: Ally (Snake) - played wifi extensively
3rd: M2K (MK)
4th: Lain (Ice Climbers, King Dedede)
5th: Anther (Pikachu) - played wifi extensively
5th: Atomsk (King Dedede, Luigi) - played wifi extensively
7th: Pikapika (Pikachu) - I think played wifi extensively
7th: Reflex (Pokemon Trainer)
9th: Ksizzle (MK, Snake) - I think played wifi extensively
9th: Judge (MK) - played wifi extensively
9th: Fatal (Snake) - I think played wifi extensively
9th: Shadow (MK)

----

Results have been disagreeing with you D20 for quite some time. There are many players who have used wifi as a jumping off point for live play, including myself. Wifi gives you everything you need, then you go to tournaments/smashfests and learn the in-an-outs of offline play and continue to improve that way. The best online players though are also great offline players.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
In addition, I find that the level of competition will almost always be higher when playing at smash fests or at tournaments. Quite simply, the unskilled (and unmotivated) players stay home and the quality players show up.
See but the problem here is that you are making a grossly uninformed generalization. How many online tournaments have you actually participated in? I'm going to guess very few if any at all. Therefore you cannot accurately compare the level of 'competition' between online and offline tournaments because you don't have enough first hand experience on the matter.

The second sentence I quoted is just ridiculously insulting and has nothing to back it up but your own guesswork and arrogance. This thread explains how WiFi can be used at times when tournaments are unavailable, and by people who cannot attend tournaments, to improve their match-up experience and their ability to use their character.

Basically what you're saying is that there are two groups: the unskilled and unmotivated WiFi players who never attend offline tournaments, and the skilled players who strictly attend offline tournaments and scorn WiFi. That is a very shallow and uninformed view of how this community works.

D20

Smash Lord
1st: ADHD (Diddy Kong) - played wifi extensively
2nd: Ally (Snake) - played wifi extensively
3rd: M2K (MK)
4th: Lain (Ice Climbers, King Dedede)
5th: Anther (Pikachu) - played wifi extensively
5th: Atomsk (King Dedede, Luigi) - played wifi extensively
7th: Pikapika (Pikachu) - I think played wifi extensively
7th: Reflex (Pokemon Trainer)
9th: Ksizzle (MK, Snake) - I think played wifi extensively
9th: Judge (MK) - played wifi extensively
9th: Fatal (Snake) - I think played wifi extensively
9th: Shadow (MK)

----

Results have been disagreeing with you D20 for quite some time. There are many players who have used wifi as a jumping off point for live play, including myself. Wifi gives you everything you need, then you go to tournaments/smashfests and learn the in-an-outs of offline play and continue to improve that way. The best online players though are also great offline players.
I guess Melee =/= Brawl. I stand corrected.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I guess Melee =/= Brawl. I stand corrected.
Sigh... I tire of this. Just leave these boards please. If you love Melee so much and dislike Brawl, why post in a Brawl forum at all? Ignore us. A respected non-troll in the Melee community can often become a disrespected troll in the Brawl community pretty easily. Especially when it comes to WiFi.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
nysyarc, calm down. he agreed with us

D20 was just showing his point of view. honestly i had my own doubts of wifi brawl until i actually started playing it a lot. mr apr 2009 join date, can u imagine what it would be like for someone who has played melee for years to hear about laggy wifi play and honestly believe that people could improve from it?

i only know because of my own experiences that wifi is very useful. i could never imagine that with melee unless there was 0 lag whatsoever. i couldn't imagine what mvc2 wifi play would be like.

but the pace and nature of brawl are good enough to withstand a little bit of lag

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Wifi is useful but i can now say i got a lot better by going to my first tourney. U cant compare, tournies r more fun and help u improve more. Wifi is still great to improve with but it cant compare to tourney experience.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
nysyarc, calm down. he agreed with us
When did I give the impression that I'm not 'calm'? Also at what point did he agree with us? >_>

mr apr 2009 join date
You realize that Smash exists separately from this forum right? I won't explain the implications of that because I really shouldn't need to.

can u imagine what it would be like for someone who has played melee for years to hear about laggy wifi play and honestly believe that people could improve from it?
And why should that give him the right to come in here and stir up trouble? If he's ignorant to the reasonings behind WiFi being a good way to improve, and if he was really a respectable person, he would ask about it rather than barge in here with this:

D20 said:
^^^ You call that "just showing his point of view"? That's generalizing and insulting every person who plays Brawl online.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Even if Online does help you improve, I'd rather take my chances in person. At least I know when I play my peers personally I have a good 80+% they are better than me, therefore I can improve. I used to play wifi alot and all it did was give me something to do when I was bored, it didn't improve my skill for any of the characters I played. =l It was ok though when I played some of my friends but that wasn't too often either on wifi.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I'm sorry I don't share the same opinion that almost everyone in this thread has. I'm not a troll. I'm not a n00b. I'm actually a fairly well-respected member of Melee community.
so why are you posting on brawl boards? oh wait to troll

solecalibur

Smash Master
Even if Online does help you improve, I'd rather take my chances in person. At least I know when I play my peers personally I have a good 80+% they are better than me, therefore I can improve. I used to play wifi alot and all it did was give me something to do when I was bored, it didn't improve my skill for any of the characters I played. =l It was ok though when I played some of my friends but that wasn't too often either on wifi.
You learn better the more you win since everything went RIGHT whlie winning -bboy

Just because you lose doesn't mean you improve you have to still try

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i'm not understanding how people play online, doesnt it **** up ur timing offline? i wanna play online but the lagg is ridiculous, i have a wired connection and my speed i think is pretty good, but its stil lto laggy, i just wanna know how others cope, or if im doin something wrong.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
i'm not understanding how people play online, doesnt it **** up ur timing offline? i wanna play online but the lagg is ridiculous, i have a wired connection and my speed i think is pretty good, but its stil lto laggy, i just wanna know how others cope, or if im doin something wrong.
it does, and things like infinite's, can be alot more trickier to time online so can spacing. People argue that certain characters do better, well they're wrong. Everyone is affected by lag equally. And to those that take advantage of lag, will find themselves in a tight bind when they cant use those tactics offline.

People that learn to play alittle more cautiously online, like i have, tend to do better in the long run vs those who abuse lag.

In retro spec, when the online player goes to an offline environment the transition usually goes over pretty well since they have no lag. Plus i'd argue that the online player will probably be the better predictor

Dracospawn

Smash Journeyman
I could tell you that but then I'f have to...ummmm

I apologize if I came across as overly aggressive with my original post... I was not trying to start a flame war. Allow me to clarify my position.

Coming from a community that was built on face-to-face interactions, I find it difficult to imagine that playing Smash online would be an adequate means to improve one's game. These games rely on split-second, often frame-perfect, timing, and any type of lag would ruin the learning experience for me. In addition, I find that the level of competition will almost always be higher when playing at smash fests or at tournaments. Quite simply, the unskilled (and unmotivated) players stay home and the quality players show up. As I said before, I would much rather know that I am having solid competition than deal with the hit-and-miss of online gaming. Finally, when playing someone in person, you have the ability to have a conversation with them and learn both how and why they make certain choices. I just disagree with the statement that "WiFi is one of the best ways to improve".

~D20
You say I'm afraid to meet people in real life? Yeah right. As nysyarc said, you are insulting all who play online, your calling all who play online cowards because they don't can't or do not like to tourney. Thats why everyone here dislikes you. Besides whats so great about melee's online? Oh yeah, IT DOESN'T HAVE ONLINE. I rarely ever lag now though, don't know why but I'm just a lucky one I guess. Besides I can't fight anyone face-to-face for reasons I explained in my previous post. Also Living in GA (thats right Atlanta, georgia) not many people around here like brawl that I know about it. And as I said before, those few suck compared to me. Wi-Fi is good for reasons I already explained

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So I'll get the most out this by taking the final exam on the first day of class? Why does that sound strange to me?
lol that -does- sound fishy, eh? There may have been some exaggeration in there, but the point was to engage in online brawl using things like the AiB ladder, etc where you'll find awesome competition and yet at the same time, it's not just a match here a match there, time to go home, like a tourney. Over wifi you can play for endless hours against the same level of higher competition you'd find at tourney's which leads to your own game improving.

On a side note, I wonder if Wifi has enabled the number of high skilled players to be a larger number than what ultimately would be achieved in Melee.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Ok guys for everyone whos excuse for not playing wifi is messing up your tech skill or timing. Seriously this is brawl we're talking about. You can relearn your tech skill (ie Basic spacing, Zoning, SH LOL) in 5 minutes no joke.

Face it Brawl is 95% mindgames, you do not combo many hits into to each other and the ones you can are stupid easy (D3's infinte, Utilt Juggles). In brawl each and every hit is about forcing your opponent to get hit, and guess what mindgames are what are least affected by lag. The only chars who can truly whine about how their tech game is messed up is probably IC/Diddy/Maybe Peach.

Spacing in lag takes about 5 seconds to adjust to aswell so thats no excuse. And if you're whining about people abusing wifi, well give them the bird, and find people who treat wifi as friendlies/Serious tourny practice, they people who play wifi as a seperate game (roll spamming etc) lose out at tournies. Whereas if you play properly against someone else playing properly you work out traps, what works what doesn't and good decision making.

I'll concede that some things on wifi are unpunishable as apposed to offline but learn them and don't rely on them.

Just remember that Lag doesn't affect your decision making unless you make it, and decision making is what Brawl is all about.

(PS I went from last (45th or so) to placing 5th, 13th and 5th in my states last 3 monthlies off wifi practice)

Browny

Smash Hater
nix already knows it... but i agree with all that anyway :p

tru fax: The only people who claim wifi makes you worse, therefore refuse to play it, make no effort on their part to actually play properly.

Like I can plan as wolf on wifi. I can either spam fsmash and blaster whilst claiming that thats all wifi allows me to do, and hate it. Or I can play properly, and play properly.

simple problems require simple solutions?

Flamingo

Smash Lord
wifi starts bad habits, and eliminates the ability to use frame perfect tech skill.

-buffering most of your moves
-difficult DACUSes (such as Sheik's)
-inhibits and discourages more risky off-stage play due to the possiblility of accidently fast falling to death.

Wifi is fun, but not viable for serious business tourney preparation practice.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
wifi starts bad habits, and eliminates the ability to use frame perfect tech skill.

-buffering most of your moves
-difficult DACUSes (such as Sheik's)
-inhibits and discourages more risky off-stage play due to the possiblility of accidently fast falling to death.

Wifi is fun, but not viable for serious business tourney preparation practice.
Ok from memory you have about 10 frames at least to buffer a move and buffering properly out of most moves should be muscle memory. Wifi can't take away muscle memory, so you should still be buffering a few frames after inputting your other attack or air dodge.

Once again how does wifi screw up that? Its muscle memory you wouldn't be able to do by sight alone. And as another point its sooo vital to be able to do Sheik's DACUS to practice isn't it. And there are no other hard DACUS's from memory as I've been able to do all the others consistently over wifi.

Your last point is the problem with everyones attitude towards wifi, it doesn't matter who wins on wifi. Do you think that you play it to win every match? You play it to practice properly, you chase them anyway and if you happen to fastfall don't rage and say that since you can't win wifi is bad practice, you just keep chasing until you never fastfall or even SD when gimping off the edge. If you can do it in lag you can do it offline.

Wifi is completely viable for brawl, as AZ pointed out the results speak for themselves.

Edit: LOL, frame perfect tech skill in brawl, that aint melee son.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
WiFi is only viable for certain characters, and usually only for those characters who have strong ground/onstage games and don't rely heavily on baiting and punishing, or quick reaction.

What that guy said about bad habits is true as well. Many things are much less punishable online than they are offline, so prolonged exposure will cause people that have a winning mentality (almost everyone), to start doing the things that work.

WiFi isn't completely useless in that it helps give some rudimentary matchup exposure, but for anything at the highest levels of play, it's not very useful (unless, as I said, you play a character that has a great, on stage, grounded camping/keepaway game [like Snake or Diddy]).

Also, WiFi does ruin offstage ventures, not only do lag spikes eat inputs, they can also cause certain inputs to register at inopportune times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom