• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi is one of the best ways to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol lain...

But seriously, though I'm going against what one of the best players out there said, wifi has helped me a bunch. Maybe not a whole bunch at getting better, but definately with matchup experience. I faced several characters at my last tourney that I would have no idea how to fight if it weren't for wifi.

And it's called wifail, not lagfi.

2Sko

Smash Cadet
That really gets me mad, with all the hate on wifi...
The this I am trying to say is all the great players like M2K, NinjaLink, Azen and the others rarely or never play wifi, are they too good for it?

Whatever, I do agrree wifi is one of the best ways to improve...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
2sko, it's just that they have the really good players in their vicinity very often, and have the freedom and resources to go to tournaments

for someone like me with a small crew and a town filled with melee players, wifi is one of the only ways for me to challenge myself besides playing with lvl 9 comps

Marthos

Smash Journeyman
Wifi is really the only means I have to play anyway, besides every other weekend with my friends. I've definitely noticed that getting on with some more experienced people has improved my play considerably.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
People often say that going to tournaments is the best way for a player to improve. While tournaments can help significantly, I'd like to disagree on a certain level.

Wifi is given a bad stigma. People say it doesn't help at all, is useless and if anything, just makes you worse. This is pretty well.. untrue. Honestly, I've learned more and gotten better from wifi than I have going to the many tournaments and smashfests I've attended in real life.

Now, I'm not talking about "With Anyone." That thing is utter garbage. If I use it I always pick MK and easily outplay the low level players because well.. 999/1000 times I have much more experience than them. I play it when I'm very bored and have no one else to play. Let's be honest, With Anyone is geared towards the casual player. You won't get better playing here, especially since the lag is often much worse than a simple 1v1.

Wifi gives you the proper match up experience you need to be able to go to a tournament and know what to expect from each character. It lets you delve into your character more to discover more options that he or she may have in certain situations. It makes you smarter. When I play wifi I feel like I have to be one step ahead of my opponent because I must account for the input lag.

If you want to get the most out of wifi, find someone who is way better than you and is willing to **** you repeatedly. Don't play a player way worse than you that will allow you to get away with a ton of stuff that normally you would get ***** for in tournaments. If you're able to find a high level player that you can learn from you will quickly improve and soon be able to compete on a high level as well (though don't expect to overcome your mentor most of the time, he gets better as well and since he may have essentially taught you how to play the game (depending on just how much he taught you) he probably has a good idea of what you are going to do in each situation).

Don't let wifi games be your only practice. Because once you go out to the real world and play your timing may be very screwed up. You want to practice your control before and after wifi in TRAINING MODE. You don't have to play against a CPU, just make sure your control is perfect. You want to try and get to a point where you don't make mistakes (not talking mental mistakes, but physical mistakes so that your character does exactly what you want them to without fear of messing up). I'm talking down to the pixel, if you want Marth to be able to tipper a fair every time then aim for a certain part in the back ground of the stage and just Short Hop Fair repeatedly and try to hit it. A lot. And I mean a lot. Practice makes perfect. Do it every day if you can. Make your character look very smooth. Having excellent control over your character is very important.

Wifi combined with training mode is what brought me and a lot of other rising top players (not saying I'm a top player) to the tournament scene. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to compete because I lack transportation to be able to go places near every day to play. By all means, tournaments and talking to top players will help substantially. But that's on the weekends (usually not every weekend), get your **** down during the week and learn your match ups. Though if the input lag/visual lag is terrible, don't bother :laugh: :mad088:

Discuss...

Yeah, I've been doing this lately, and getting my *** kicked repeatedly, and yet I don't find myself getting any better. (cue the YOUR DOING IT WRONG posts) But, competitive Smash Bros. isn't for everyone. Maybe it's not for me.

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
I agree wi-fi is a good way to improve. Problem is how can you improve if all of the pros are afraid of wi-fi and your stuck with almost nothing but scrubs only few decent players....... that's what happened to me ;-;

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Playing offline seems a lot easier afterwards for some reason.
Cause there's no lag, lol Despite having adapted to the point you don't notice it anymore, you do in fact still brawl better when there is no lag, meaning that even "unnoticeable" lag is still game affecting, somehow. I guess to combat this you just have to practice both so much that regardless of which one you're in you're still top of your game.

and this..

Wi-fi helps you fight all types of skilled level characters and see them pull off things you never thought were possible, I also like how the input delays helps you get a even better reaction time.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Wifi, more liek, Why Try?

I have to agree though; people say that wifi messes you up but after I'm done playing wifi it takes only one or two matches to adjust to the lagless environment, and vice versa (it's harder to adapt to the lag though).

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
I can only play on wifi, so basically, yeah, it's the only way i've become better.

MXblaze

Smash Apprentice
I agree wi-fi is a good way to improve. Problem is how can you improve if all of the pros are afraid of wi-fi and your stuck with almost nothing but scrubs only few decent players....... that's what happened to me ;-;
There are plenty of good people on the allisbrawl ladder.

MXblaze

Smash Apprentice
I agree, though. Before I played wifi, I used to spam almost nothing but fox's upb. Imagine if I went straight to a tourney with those skills. I wouldn't even be able to get a hit on the other player.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Depends.
Friendlies with people who play Brawl well without items. Great!
Random wifi Brawl learning noobs tactics. Terrible! That's not skill!

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
Playing online is like playing with weights. The more lag there is, the heavier they get. We all know what weights are good for.

Of course, you can't just lift religiously and expect a change.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Is a yellow connection any good? I haven't seen any posts mentioning yellow dots/circles.

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
You want to practice your control before and after wifi in TRAINING MODE.
lol ive been doing this for a long time, it helps a lot, last thing you would want to do is go sign on directly to wifi and not get any offline practice.

btw ive had very minimal lag games (the ones where it feels very normal, no visual lag) im talking about how i can easily cg in green connection...... what does blue connection feel like O_o

imho i think wifi is a very good thing.... in my situation without it i would be a terrible brawl player........ i might even be useing items (shutters) if it wasent for wifi. Im an only child, my friends are jocks with xboxs (idk why im the only one on the team with a wii :/), and my cousin is terrible lol. So i am able to have absolutely no practice offline (other than just f**ing around with cpus so i dont get used to wifi lag. wifi has made a serious improvement of my gameplay. i wouldent even have been able to join a2 or evenn heard of a2 if it wasent for wifi either.

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
Copy Pasta from my thread:

Hey guys. I'm pretty tired of playing laggy matches, so a while ago I got myself the wired lan adapter.

Virtually no lag, and it brings up the other side's connection as well. Today I decided to make a group for anyone else with a wired connection, so we can all play together with almost ZERO lag. I thought it would be a great idea, and I hope it catches on.

I made it public because I don't know how someone is supposed to prove that they have a wired connection, so please don't join if you're using a wireless connection to play WiFi.

If you have a wired wifi connection, join my group.

http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=1325

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Hmmm, actually Anther was talking to me about this once. He said that it helps him stay relatively up to date with other region's metagames, and helped him be a little bit more consistent (especially during the early days of Brawl) because he'd have matchup experience vs most chars so no randoms would take him down.

And AiB I think has the best competition for the ladder, a lot of good players there O_O

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I know, right? I think the ladder is for more than just good players but like its for pro's that don't play for cash or something weird.

dustymountain

Smash Rookie
Too bad no one I know in real life (irl) doesn't suck. (Seriously, i've beaten everyone I know who plays brawl and claims to be "unbeatable" or good irl.) I blame halo for there patheticness.

(warhawk FTW)

Prince17

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
Phaz#755
NNID
Legendlar
3DS FC
3840-7049-1098
agreed.like someone else said people at tornaments pick high-tier characters (i dont believe in tiers only how you use acharacter unless u spam with sonic/snake or u are meta knight)on wi-fi your friends will pick anyone mario, olimar, donky kong maybe even so you can learn how they use those characters and learn to avoid getting hit by that character.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
I concur. I always get peeved when people talk about how terrible wifi is. If it weren't for wifi, I would still be a casual player with probably less than half of the ability I have today.
Same with me. I played Melee for years but I was still casual in the ned because of a lack of good opponents. In Brawl I became competive.

Also, I became competive in Smash64 only since I tried it online.

agreed.like someone else said people at tornaments pick high-tier characters (i dont believe in tiers only how you use acharacter unless u spam with sonic/snake or u are meta knight)on wi-fi your friends will pick anyone mario, olimar, donky kong maybe even so you can learn how they use those characters and learn to avoid getting hit by that character.
Tiers DO exist and spammy Sonics suck badly.
I'm kinda main Sonic myself, and against a good player a predictable Sonic is a dead Sonic.

But if you mean that the Sonic spams mindgames, then yeah, they can be kinda hard to beat.

Marthos

Smash Journeyman
I agree with that quote from LotM. If it wasn't for Wifi, I probably wouldn't even be able to play brawl since I live in a smash bros. wasteland. I'd still be a casual player.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I really don't like Wifi as I have huge 2 second lags and I rather play against CPU and learn nothing than suffer that lag.

BSP

Smash Legend
I concur. I always get peeved when people talk about how terrible wifi is. If it weren't for wifi, I would still be a casual player with probably less than half of the ability I have today.
smae with me. I think wifi's great, but with anyone modes make you worse.

Supreme65

Smash Apprentice
I think it increases one's abilities a little Steel. If nintendo makes Wifi non-lagging like MKW then were getting somewhere. But as for now. Not too much. But if u had a good connection with someone. (I have earlier this year.) Then It's fun experience. Wifi ='s 50% of ur ability cuz of lagging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom