• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi is one of the best ways to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
WiFi is only viable for certain characters, and usually only for those characters who have strong ground/onstage games and don't rely heavily on baiting and punishing, or quick reaction.

What that guy said about bad habits is true as well. Many things are much less punishable online than they are offline, so prolonged exposure will cause people that have a winning mentality (almost everyone), to start doing the things that work.

WiFi isn't completely useless in that it helps give some rudimentary matchup exposure, but for anything at the highest levels of play, it's not very useful (unless, as I said, you play a character that has a great, on stage, grounded camping/keepaway game [like Snake or Diddy]).

Also, WiFi does ruin offstage ventures, not only do lag spikes eat inputs, they can also cause certain inputs to register at inopportune times.
"Many things are much less punishable online than they are offline,"

Which is why i play alittle more cautiously and i pay attention to lag spikes.

Personally i stay away from bad habbits, the only thing i'll make a habbit of is an aerial that combos into itself

" don't rely heavily on baiting and punishing, or quick reaction."

while i do rely on this, in some circumstances with lag; yea not so much so

"so prolonged exposure will cause people that have a winning mentality (almost everyone), to start doing the things that work."

i really..try to stay away from this. So instead of camping and spaming 15 lasers or arrows, i do between 1-3 then approach. Its so incredibly boring to spam, i prefer getting in peoples faces and hand to hand combat

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
I'm sorry to say this, but even if you play "with friends", i think it is more recommended to play offline. I guess playing wi-fi with wireless is one thing, but even when played with wire cable or even with slight modifications to make wi-fi better, wi-fi will still have that lag input that will screw up your timing.

That's at least what i think.

ShadowMarth-JTW

Smash Rookie
From the last few posts I've read those all are logical opinions.
"WiFi is only viable for certain characters" this quote by PhantomX is true.
I find it hard to be able to play in wifi's lagfest Being a Marth main and all.
I've been told many times that "you can't do much about lag so get over it"
Tried it and it just doesn't work for me. the lag screws with my ability to get reads or punish(Definitely punish) my opponent. which may seem weird since the gameplay seems somewhat slowed down
but it just doesn't work for me that way. Sometimes I'm in a situation where i have to get a read to end a really close match but then the lag spikes completely screwing up my input or just not sensing the input at all. On top of that it just takes the fun away for me. I've gone from being synced to play to being instantly bored because of the lame lag.

THIS IS JUST ME.

BSP

Smash Legend
Even if lag does cost the game once in a while, you do still get the opportunity to get MU exp. and to play other people. I'd recommend offline, but wifi still does have its merits even if lag irks you to no end.

~Major bump btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom