• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi is one of the best ways to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I'm talking about control again.

You have to master control over your character. If you've ever watched videos of top players and noticed how fast and smooth they look, that's control. It is as small as making sure you do the correct thing you want to do every time and as large as knowing every option you have in every situation vs any character.
Exactly. Learn, Hone, Apply.

Funny thing is, I found this thread in the European boards by Yuna just a few minutes after I made my first post in here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229530

Apparently, a Swedish tournament is currently in development. :D
lol. And it looks like it's going to be pretty big.
(Thats what SHE said! Har HAr. No...)

mosesrko24

Smash Apprentice
Wifi's great, but top players don't seem to want to play online. Friend Finder threads are inactive, faux finder doesn't have good players, and top players don't respond to pms. I'm not sure what to do...

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
More top players play wifi than you think, but I agree that it can be hard for some people to contact them. Allisbrawl usually has a lot of good players though.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I'm unavailable atm, but i really recommend joining the Allisbrawl ladder. Don't worry if you get beat everytime and have a horrid record, it's how you get better.

mosesrko24

Smash Apprentice
That's cool. Sorry if this wasn't the place to ask. But you're right: You have to get beat to get better. I'm seeking out players who will destroy me, and hopefully Allisbrawl is the place to find them.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
faux finder has some good players.
allisbrawl has more good players.
i've learned what i've learned in 2 environments. wifi, and irl vs. on wifi, it's a combo of friends and with anyone... it culminates in hours various scenarios and situations that add to the total "experience" ... my move sets, approaches, defenses, etc. heh sitting with sandbag in the practice room has actually made me come up with some crazy combos that I then try and sometimes they work, usually tho it just adds to the mind games which is at the heart of battle. IRL where I play there's never lag. we join up and play teams or have little mini battels and round robins or whatever but it somehow always boils down to who's going to be the "prick" and pick metaknight or who's the better marth (I hate dittos) then I go back online and play more wifi cause there's so much more variety. lag issues asside, I still learn way more online.

the third environment I don't actually do... Training Mode. Unlike in TK or VF I see no real advantage to using training mode over the wifi waiting room. could this be expounded on more? I mean there's the obvious; sandbag's physics are different, etc. and you can't program him to run away, LOL! that'd be funny looking, but anyway yeah I just don't get why training mode is important, if it's just to cleanse yourself of lag-brawl that's not really necessary IMO unless you suffer from that specifically.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
you don't need to attack the CPU

and you can practice on different stages in training mode

and if you read my posts it would explain why it's important

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You want to practice your control before and after wifi in TRAINING MODE.
This. If you spend X minutes practicing character control in training mode, then login to wifi where the timing environment is definitely not the same, it would stand to reason you would be ill prepared for what awaits. that's why ppl hate wifi... unfortunately. They login and then get spammed by their own internet connection and it's like 'man F this wanna go over to charlie's we can call up such and such and have team battles.' It's like, lol going into training mode before a wifi login is self punishment or something. wow look all the cool things I can do in training mode, lets get on wifi and do none of these things successfully cause of lag.

and don't be bitter! i'm just trying to keep your discussion alive ^^ I read your precious posts, and I agree whole heartily with your hypothesis. I just think training mode is more optional when discussing Wifi as being one of the best ways to improve.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
this is too good steel

i also used to look down upon wifi and wifi players

until i saw ally's progress, as well as some players like bardull, ispamtornado, and others, who trained basically on wifi only

i talk to the people in OTL now and most of them are pretty skilled, i love facing players who are very good with an underused character because i learn a lot about the character and about the game

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
The AllisBrawl Ladder is okay if you play the good players. Just watch out for those Spammers and People who like to lag while your winning :/.

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
I use to play a guy from gamebattles (MLG), way high up in the ladder, #9 or so, whooped me every single time.

I Never beat him, and probably never will, he taught me so many techniques with many of my characters, despite the button lag we were getting i must say that wi-fi is a great way to get better.

The only thing i have against that is not everybody has a good internet connection.

Chaco

Never Logs In
People often say that going to tournaments is the best way for a player to improve. While tournaments can help significantly, I'd like to disagree on a certain level.

Wifi is given a bad stigma. People say it doesn't help at all, is useless and if anything, just makes you worse. This is pretty well.. untrue. Honestly, I've learned more and gotten better from wifi than I have going to the many tournaments and smashfests I've attended in real life.

Now, I'm not talking about "With Anyone." That thing is utter garbage. If I use it I always pick MK and easily outplay the low level players because well.. 999/1000 times I have much more experience than them. I play it when I'm very bored and have no one else to play. Let's be honest, With Anyone is geared towards the casual player. You won't get better playing here, especially since the lag is often much worse than a simple 1v1.

Wifi gives you the proper match up experience you need to be able to go to a tournament and know what to expect from each character. It lets you delve into your character more to discover more options that he or she may have in certain situations. It makes you smarter. When I play wifi I feel like I have to be one step ahead of my opponent because I must account for the input lag.

If you want to get the most out of wifi, find someone who is way better than you and is willing to **** you repeatedly. Don't play a player way worse than you that will allow you to get away with a ton of stuff that normally you would get ***** for in tournaments. If you're able to find a high level player that you can learn from you will quickly improve and soon be able to compete on a high level as well (though don't expect to overcome your mentor most of the time, he gets better as well and since he may have essentially taught you how to play the game (depending on just how much he taught you) he probably has a good idea of what you are going to do in each situation).

Don't let wifi games be your only practice. Because once you go out to the real world and play your timing may be very screwed up. You want to practice your control before and after wifi in TRAINING MODE. You don't have to play against a CPU, just make sure your control is perfect. You want to try and get to a point where you don't make mistakes (not talking mental mistakes, but physical mistakes so that your character does exactly what you want them to without fear of messing up). I'm talking down to the pixel, if you want Marth to be able to tipper a fair every time then aim for a certain part in the back ground of the stage and just Short Hop Fair repeatedly and try to hit it. A lot. And I mean a lot. Practice makes perfect. Do it every day if you can. Make your character look very smooth. Having excellent control over your character is very important.

Wifi combined with training mode is what brought me and a lot of other rising top players (not saying I'm a top player) to the tournament scene. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to compete because I lack transportation to be able to go places near every day to play. By all means, tournaments and talking to top players will help substantially. But that's on the weekends (usually not every weekend), get your **** down during the week and learn your match ups. Though if the input lag/visual lag is terrible, don't bother :laugh: :mad088:

Discuss...
Yeah, I'm quoting the OP. Sue me.

I have to agree it is good practice, and preparation.

Where as, it will not determine the outcome of an offline match. I'm going to use the example Hylian gave to me. When he played Razer online, GnW vs Snake, he wins. Where as offline he cannot beat Razer's Snake.

TEECO

Smash Ace
I agree.

WiFi is more of a knowledge thing, just dont take the matches seriously. Have fun, and pay attention to what to do, what to not do, priority, hit boxes, what works, what doesnt, scenarios etc.

Toony

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. WiFi is a GREAT way to improve and so are tournaments online or offline.

arch knight

Smash Lord
wifi is great for timing attacks since thats all you do during the match. it is also good for getting a feel for all the different playing styles of other characters and tournement prep

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Where as, it will not determine the outcome of an offline match. I'm going to use the example Hylian gave to me. When he played Razer online, GnW vs Snake, he wins. Where as offline he cannot beat Razer's Snake.

Yeah some people have a greater difficulty coping with online lag than others do. There are great players who can only play great offline and there are others who virtually play the same offline and online.

I think psychology is involved too. Some people play better when they are alone in the security of their homes or a familiar environment. When playing against someone offline competitively there is a bit more pressure. Especially if it is a good player it could sometimes be intimidating to face them directly.

arch knight

Smash Lord
Zen is right offline you deal with people yelling all around you picking on your every mistake and sometimes even trying to screw with your game

Albert.

Smash Master
Where did I ever say it doesn't help you improve? If anything I said the exact opposite.
Uh I never said that you said that but I DO remember some people talking about WiFi in a thread and then you being like "you know, when are marth mains just going to stop playing WiFi?? seriously"

something like that.

just saying!

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Uhh

NEVER said that.

Ever.

I remember a thread like that and I said, "wifi is really good if it isn't lagging."

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
If you guys want to think that playing wifi improves you with its unpunishable airdodges, absence of perfect shielding, delayed attacks, D-smash, longsmash habits, more difficult to punish rolls (A.K.A overall no defense) Then that is fine by me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom