• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why MK should NOT be banned (the opinion from someone who actually fights them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
was it a highschool game? in HS, there's no shot clock, so you can do that. it's amazing if used well, you can literally let 8 minutes off the clock without possession of the ball (team wise) changing. edit: organized street ball also lack a shot clock. I've played a game and got 5 minutes off the clock in the fourth quarter with a 4 point lead. my lil bro, who used to play ball in high school, did the 8 minutes thing.

that stops in college (35 second shotclock) and the NBA (24 second shotclock).

you remove the timer and it theoretically provides shorter battles because you can't time out your opponent, but at the same time, because you can't time out your opponent, you can literally chill and play as safe as possible for as long as possible, winning or losing, because you have all day to try and make that move that will allow you to win.

of course, that's all theory, but I'm sure that without a clock, any matchup that requires camping (aka Wario vs whoever he has to really camp to win) can take as long as it needs without that tense moment towards the final minutes of the clock counting down because there is no clock to begin with.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
But people still do it; I don't get it. Is it because they can just say they were playing defensively like stingers said
Because people don't them on it when it happens.

Going under the stage back and forth where 90% of the cast can't reach you isn't defensive play.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Ugh........ This is impossible. We should just ban MK I'm sick of all this crap.
MK is my favorite character ever, but if banning him is best for the community I'm all for it.

fml

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Because people don't them on it when it happens.

Going under the stage back and forth where 90% of the cast can't reach you isn't defensive play.
actually... it is... if you are in a position where you opponent can't get you, you can assume that you are safe, thus well defended...

but this isn't war.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Ugh........ This is impossible. We should just ban MK I'm sick of all this crap.
MK is my favorite character ever, but if banning him is best for the community I'm all for it.

fml
If you don't think your character is banworthy then fight it.

I don't think he's banworthy either, but people are too chicken to call people on stall tactics.

actually... it is... if you are in a position where you opponent can't get you, you can assume that you are safe, thus well defended...

but this isn't war.
If it makes the game unplayable, near impossible to hit them, then it's stalling.

I find it amusing how many rules and stages are created/banned simply to accommodate a character undisputed as being the best character in the game.

I kind of agree, but at the same time, he isn't the only offender of the rules we want to place, other than IDC (which is already taken care of). He's simply the biggest reason of why we want to place said rules.

The same character that has no disadvantage towards him in either stage or rival character.

This is arguable, but it doesn't matter, since it hasn't stopped him from being defeated.

And that he hasn't been banned simply to clean the game up and make it more interesting(never mind balance) is quite the amusing spectacle.

Thing is that we can't ban him for simply being the best character in the game. He doesn't make characters freeze, blow up, and minus one technique, doesn't make the game impossible to play. We cannot mistake broken for gay. He's a functional character, his techniques are just gay.

Truly it speak leagues for the integrity of most players as well as the true motive of greed instead of competition that plagues tournaments.

This is what the pro-bans are working on. Trying to get him removed, not because he's broken, but because he is gay enough to make everyone either quit their character for MK, or quit the game altogether.
Not to sound like an anti-ban. I'm just being fair.

However, I must admit, your argument pretty much says that MK is without a doubt, gay, and that this thread highlights his gayness as a problem.

Can we replace the word "gay" with something else? I feel bad using the word gay like it's a bad thing.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
If you don't think your character is banworthy then fight it.

I don't think he's banworthy either, but people are too chicken to call people on stall tactics.
It's a thin line between stall tactics and defensive tactics.

If it makes the game unplayable, near impossible to hit them, then it's stalling.
Thus why I said this isn't war.

Can we replace the word "gay" with something else? I feel bad using the word gay like it's a bad thing.
cheap?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
do you mean that MK isn't allowed to use fire crackers?
or mk isn't allowed to use items?

if items were on, there isn't any reason mk shouldn't be allowed to use them too @.@

Kaffei

Smash Hero
do you mean that MK isn't allowed to use fire crackers?
or mk isn't allowed to use items?

if items were on, there isn't any reason mk shouldn't be allowed to use them too @.@
I mean like, we turn on Cracker Launchers, and when they appear, MK is NOT allowed to use them.
This destroys air planking, and platform planking. This also breaks Tornado... so..... idk

I mean like, we turn on Cracker Launchers, and when they appear, MK is NOT allowed to use them.
This destroys air planking, and platform planking. This also breaks Tornado... so..... idk
That would be unfair to Metaknight.

That's like saying that only white people are allowed to eat Doritos, but if a black person eats it, we must stop everything and make that black man starve.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC

That's like saying that only white people are allowed to eat Doritos, but if a black person eats it, we must stop everything and make that black man starve.
that sounds familiar.....

Kaffei

Smash Hero

But MK already has so many options. He's such a good character. It's unfair how he can press B and rack up 60% damage on Ally.

MarKO X said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFgXF0a_Yw4
loooooooooool

But MK already has so many options. He's such a good character. It's unfair how he can press B and rack up 60% damage on Ally.

loooooooooool
How unfair can it be to press A and rack up 100% on M2K?

looooooooooool 2x

etecoon

Smash Hero
In the interest of a more interesting meta game, I see two options. Namely, people can't be trusted not to stall the **** out of matches. Which is fine in that they're playing to win, but on the other hand, it's literally killing the metagame...and if we let it continue then Brawl will die in a year or two.

Just think about Pound 4, and all the stupid stalling **** that happened there. Atomsk/Lee vs. Ling Ling/Excel, M2K/Ally, Ksizl/Ally, etc...the way Brawl is going now is just plain uninteresting. None of us get excited over systematic, deliberate, and unbeatable stalling. If you say you do, you're a liar. I dare you to sit through an 8 minute match of nothing but watching M2K scrooge some ICs on Smashville and tell me that the match grabbed your attention the whole time.

Ban scrooging? Oh, well then he counterpicks FD next time and planks the ledge.

Ledge grab rules? Oh, he'll just go to back SV and platform camp him the whole time. He bans SV? Oh, he'll just pick one of his many other campable stages, like Rainbow Cruise, or Battlefield, or Brinstar, or Delfino or Halberd...there's no way to stop it. And let the metagame continue to evolve in the direction we are already watching it go towards and I can guarantee you that Brawl will be dead within a year, 2 at max.

If you don't see a problem, you sincerely lack foresight. There has been enough precedent set already that what I said cannot be called baseless conjecture. There have been too many times where the Brawl Community has said, "Oh, just let the metagame evolve and it'll all work out in the end." Anyone with this mindset is supporting the death of the game, because we all know now what an evolved metagame looks like. Barring some extremely convenient glitch being found that will rid us of these problems, we need to act now. Here are the two options I PERSONALLY (!!) see. If you have any other ideas, please share them. If one of your other ideas is to do nothing, then just don't say it, because it's not working.

* 1. Legalize items and keep MK
Why do I think that items are the solution to the problem? Take a look at Jack Kieser's Items Standard Play thread to look at what they currently consider legal items.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164675

(Sandbag) (Food) (Warp Star) (Bunny Hood) (Beam Sword) (Lip’s Stick) (Star Rod) (Super Scope) (Fire Flower) (Motion Sensor Bomb) (Freezie) (Smoke Ball) (Pitfall) (Mr. Saturn) (Green Shell) (Banana Peel) (Franklin Badge) (Screw Attack)

With the following items available as Counterpick items (read the thread if you're confused about the idea of Counterpicking items):
(Assist Trophy) (Dragoon) (Metal Box) (Home-Run Bat) (Hammer) (Ray Gun) (Cracker Launcher) (Gooey Bomb) (Hothead) (Spring) (Unira)

Now, considering just the items on random. How could these items collectively change the metagame enough that MK's Planking isn't an issue? Instead of going through them one by one, just look at them enough to see how many of them can be used to SAFELY combat 1. A character on the ledge, 2. A character in the air, and 3. A character under the stage.

The only major problem there is #3, none of those items can effectively combat a character under the stage. Of course, through the beauty of Counterpick items, Hotheads (or Dragoons, maybe) become situational but effective anti-scrooging options. However, this all relies on random spawn, right? Of course, but you have to consider that merely by stalling in a manner that prevents you from reaching them, there's a 99% chance that they're also giving up the opportunity to grab an item before you. This actually gives decisive, fullproof ramifications to avoiding combat on or off the stage. And I'll leave it at that.

* 2. Ban MK and leave things the way they are
This has been debated to hell and back, and you all have an opinion on it. I'll just ask you to consider what you've already read in this post, and I'll remind you that MK is the only problem character that has ways of getting around the ledge grab rule. Pit and Charizard can both glide (making scrooging possible), but neither of them have safe recovery options outside of that, making it riskier (I'd argue that Pit's Up B isn't considered safe when you're dealing with being off the stage 100% of the time). Kirby and Jigglypuff are the only characters besides MK that can really air camp (Pit and Charizard both have 3, IIRC, which doesn't really give them enough airtime to safely camp the way MK can), however, they don't have the safety that MK has during the eventual retreat back down to earth that makes MK's air camping so dangerous.

Anyway, I hope that people read this and give a serious opinion on what I just said. I'm writing this purely in hopes of a better Brawl metagame, because nobody likes the one we're facing today. Thanks.
stingers is a smart man

I think banning MK is the more likely solution because allowing items challenges the status quo SO much, we've banned them for basically a decade and I think a lot of people just don't consider it an option. it's too bad because I don't feel like MK is broken/ban worthy when played aggressively or defensively within reason, but his ability to bypass stalling rules is unparalleled and I don't think anyone has come up with a legitimate solution to that.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
It was in the grand finals right after dojo 3-0ed M2K the first set. Everyone in the venue was watching and no one noticed including the TO.
That news is kind of frightening.

It shows how hard a ban on something that can appear minute such as EDC, can be difficult to enforce. I bet a lot of us have had EDC used against us and simply didn't notice. That doesn't mean it hasn't had an effect on gameplay though.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Okay, well MK can only stall> time out if he has the lead.. right? So why doesn't the other person get a lead first.
That's not that bad of an idea.

Couldn't all MKs just start with a 10% handicap? It's easy to enforce, ****s over his timing people out, will barely make a difference in the matches where he doesn't plank/scrooge out the timer.
You can try and jump off stage and follow him (on smashville anyway).
You know, I honestly wish the word "cheap" didn't have such a stigma surrounding it because of scrubby players. "Gay" is so derogatory and means the same **** thing as cheap generally does, anyway.
It shows how hard a ban on something that can appear minute such as EDC, can be difficult to enforce. I bet a lot of us have had EDC used against us and simply didn't notice. That doesn't mean it hasn't had an effect on gameplay though.
Honestly the IDC shouldn't be banned. The only reason it's banned is for stalling, and there is a stalling rule which IDC falls under (makes the game unplayable).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
L-cancelling and the like just increases the tech skill required to play the game. It creates depth and makes the overall game less casual and more appealing to better players.

It also increases the gap between n00bs and players who are dedicated and skilled.
No, it doesn't increase the depth, it increases the skill gap, it's what sirlin calls an "arbitrary skill test" and serves to only increase entrance barriers.

That news is kind of frightening.

Well it's banned for stalling, if nobody notices then it can't be stalling, therefore the ban serves it's purpose.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The more we bend the game for Meta Knight to be viable, the more the pieces fall into place for him to be banned. It won't be long before if all of these rules were put in place, that Meta Knight would just find yet another option around it and remain just as overpowered and influential over the community.

Where do we draw the line, guys, seriously?

And why do I get the feeling that none of what we discuss here will matter and the SBR is just having a ball watching us theorize and talk about what could happen. And just shrug it off. Not to be pessimistic, but,

theunabletable

Smash Lord
LOL

10 lols
Am I wrong in some way?
Well it's banned for stalling, if nobody notices then it can't be stalling, therefore the ban serves it's purpose.
Exactly. It's only banned for stalling, and if you're not stalling with it what's the big deal (since the stalling rule already covers that, anyway)?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Am I wrong in some way? Exactly. It's only banned for stalling, and if you're not stalling with it what's the big deal (since the stalling rule already covers that, anyway)?
Because the rule against stalling is a theoretical underpinning, it doesn't ban a specific action which makes it pretty much an unenforceable fuzzy rule.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Then why even have the no stalling rule if it doesn't do anything at all because it's too vague?

Look at the Melee ruleset. Peach Bombering against a wall infinitely is illegal, but using the bomber on the wall to recover isn't.

Doing a wall CG isn't illegal, but doing it non-stop against a wall is classified as stalling.

If you're able to tell that Peach bombing the wall non stop to stall and if you're able to tell the difference between doing a wall CG and stalling with a wall CG, then how is it so difficult and fuzzy to tell the difference between using the IDC as a mixup, and using it non stop for 8 minutes?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Let's hack brawl so that MK explodes if he touches the ledge.
Somebody please hack Brawl so that this happens.

It'd be ****ing hilarious to watch. LMAO

[EDIT]

Oh, and Down Smash shield breaks MK. And Tornado thunder spikes him in the air, but using it on the ground puts him in the ground like DK's Side B.

HoN3Y64

Smash Apprentice
Somebody please hack Brawl so that this happens.

It'd be ****ing hilarious to watch. LMAO

[EDIT]

Oh, and Down Smash shield breaks MK. And Tornado thunder spikes him in the air, but using it on the ground puts him in the ground like DK's Side B.
l0l0l0l0l that'd be SOOO FUNNY LMROFLOL

solecalibur

Smash Master
That's not that bad of an idea.

Couldn't all MKs just start with a 10% handicap? It's easy to enforce, ****s over his timing people out, will barely make a difference in the matches where he doesn't plank/scrooge out the timer.
What so after one f-air he can plank and its not my fault for losing

You can try and jump off stage and follow him (on smashville anyway).
Then he will u-air down-air gimp you if you try to follow him not all characters have good recoverys, also I'd like to mention we are not always going to be right next to metaknight , what if he hits you and flys towards the other end of the stage

You know, I honestly wish the word "cheap" didn't have such a stigma surrounding it because of scrubby players. "Gay" is so derogatory and means the same **** thing as cheap generally does, anyway.
people think calling something gay is bad because some people are referred to it as, I could care less there just words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom