• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people NOW care about Roy and Mewtwo?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
True, more range for Disable would definetly offer better strategies as well as limiting the risk of getting countered by the opponent.

Not bad, sadly though you do realizem that this will never truly replace Mewtwo.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
You sir get extra brownie points for not only supporting Mewtwo, but making your first post just to support him! We need more people like that, whether for Mewtwo, Doctor Mario, Roy, Pichu, or even Young Link. (I don't think I've heard a complaint about Young Link being gone yet, though, besides from myself, anyway.)

I've heard a few people at the last tournament I was at complianing. But most of them were playing Toon link and nit picking. Let's face it: TL is YL with a different costume and a altered moveset. Overall, I don't like either, but Young Link wasn't as overpowered. Dr. Mario could've easily been an Alt. costume for Mario at the very least, Roy staying wouldn't have made the slightest difference to me as I never played him,
but I understand where players who miss him are coming from... Pichu could've worked as a Poke ball at the very least... But Mewtwo?! COME ON!!!! (P.S. thanks for the brownie points!)

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Indeed. It's too bad you couldn't charge it like a Smash Attack; just release when they're close by and they're stunned, no problem. I suppose the longer you charge it, the longer stunned they'd be. That would probably help Mewtwo out a little bit more.
Interesting idea, but I'd rather see it replaced with someting stronger. A Barrier perhaps?

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
On being hacked into Brawl: We've been able to hack l-canceling, melee airdashing, and even make the bosses playable, all of which were though to be impossible. At this point, I'm willing to believe that somehow we can hack trophy models into actual characters.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
i've always felt like lucario was a bit of a substitute for mewtwo which many people probably also assume. I think the idea was to bring in a new character, make hm similar to mewtwo, but a much better player to use. Lucario can be used competitively, mewtwo couldn't. Lucario is like a more aggressive mewtwo minus the mental powers that was released from anger management too early.
Roy was just a stronger and slightly slower marth whose moves had different effects ex- marths up b has knock back and deals little damage, roys dealt more damage and didn't have knock back. So why not just introduce another fire emblem character and play to his strengths in every since of the word. Ike very strong, has ridiculous sword range, good priority and not so bad recovery, while still having a similar move or two to marth but is still a very different character. The point is no more clones. How could Roy possible be changed to no longer be a clone? Either get rid of marth or get rid of roy, i wonder which one they are gunna take out the game...(notice how all other clones that returned to brawl are drastically different luigi who wasn't that much of a clone in brawl to begin, falco, ganondorf, and another "younger" link character all much different than the originals... So i do believe it was necessary to lose some clones. Note this also keeps a games value. If a game like ssb keeps all the same characters that it had in a prior game it's like that many people would just trade it back in for credit towards the new game and obviously someone is going to lose money. So lose some chars and people will keep the game because they like those chars. I'll admit i'm a fan of the clone falco more than the new one, and i liked doc mario, but i'm much more happy with the characters in brawl so i cut my losses.

AetherLord

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I remember hearing that, but words cannot compensate for the characters that were lost.
The thing is, Mewtwo was already MADE during his time. Matter of fact, from what I've heard and the facts I've seen, Mewtwo AND Roy were completed characters... but were cut in favor of Wolf and Sonic. Of course, the Wolf-Sonic thing is just speculation... but there's no denying that Mewtwo and Roy were very developed characters... ESPECIALLY Mewtwo, whom they found voice work, programmed moves (Shadow Ball, Teleport), the Classic Mode "CONGRATULATIONS" picture, and even him yelling his Final Smash!
:(
A yell? I wonder what his final smash would've been...
Though I'm sure it wouldn't be similiar to Lucario's...

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Wait, hold on, Mewtwo had moves programmed in?! And LOL, it was the two good moves too! Which also happen to be the two moves that Lucario semi-shares. Hmmm, maybe's there's more truth to Lucario replacing Mewtwo then I thought (note, I'm not saying Lucario's a clone, I'm just saying he was intended to be the "new" mewtwo)

And I demand to see that classic mode pic, even though it will only make me feel even worse about his exclusion from Brawl.

Lovely

Smash Lord
At least Mewtwo's a trophy, Roy don't even get that and his theme song is in the game. T_T

But all and all, he will be missed in Brawl, and should return in the next Smash Bros.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I've heard a few people at the last tournament I was at complianing. But most of them were playing Toon link and nit picking. Let's face it: TL is YL with a different costume and a altered moveset. Overall, I don't like either, but Young Link wasn't as overpowered. Dr. Mario could've easily been an Alt. costume for Mario at the very least, Roy staying wouldn't have made the slightest difference to me as I never played him,
but I understand where players who miss him are coming from... Pichu could've worked as a Poke ball at the very least... But Mewtwo?! COME ON!!!! (P.S. thanks for the brownie points!)
Oh, wow... Well, that works for me with the Young Link debate. :p
The main reason Doctor Mario wasn't an alternate costume for Mario (I theorize) is because Doc was slated to be a playable character... but was cut last minute alongside Mewtwo and Roy. Which sucks, because he was my main man in Melee.

On being hacked into Brawl: We've been able to hack l-canceling, melee airdashing, and even make the bosses playable, all of which were though to be impossible. At this point, I'm willing to believe that somehow we can hack trophy models into actual characters.
Bosses playable?! Videos, or it didn't happen. :chuckle:
No, just kidding... EDIT: JUST found 'em. That is certainly something I never expected to happen.
Hacking has really come a long way... but... how would one be able to make trophies playable? I just don't see it happening. I mean, no one figured out how to do in it Melee, why would they find a way in Brawl? (If they DID find a way, however, dibs on Mewtwo being the first one... Anyone else notice how long it takes for his trophy to load? Makes you wonder...)

Lucario can be used competitively, mewtwo couldn't. Lucario is like a more aggressive mewtwo minus the mental powers that was released from anger management too early.
The thing is on the Mewtwo debate... how would you know Mewtwo couldn't have been used competitively in BRAWL? No one's seem him in action in Brawl, only Melee. That's like saying ANY character from Melee would not have been good competitive choices in Brawl... It doesn't make any sense; the two games are so vastly different, you can't compare them that way. MELEE Mewtwo wouldn't have been good in tournaments, yes... but what about BRAWL Mewtwo? Bowser was absolutely horrendous in Melee tournaments... Look at him now! Mr. Game & Watch is another primary example.

Yes, I don't think Sakurai and company would've been THAT lazy to make a clone Final Smash after Lucario's.
...But, then again... *coughLANDMASTERcough*

Wait, hold on, Mewtwo had moves programmed in?! And LOL, it was the two good moves too! Which also happen to be the two moves that Lucario semi-shares. Hmmm, maybe's there's more truth to Lucario replacing Mewtwo then I thought (note, I'm not saying Lucario's a clone, I'm just saying he was intended to be the "new" mewtwo)

And I demand to see that classic mode pic, even though it will only make me feel even worse about his exclusion from Brawl.
Yes, the similarities between Mewtwo and Lucario's B-moves is... actually quite interesting. The Up-B's are quick (Lucario's just takes a second to load), and the Bs are obviously similar. (Whyyy doesn't Lucario's Up-B, Extremespeed, hurt people?? It does that in the Pokemon games... and it's actually a powerful move! Leave it to Sakurai and company to screw up on that detail.) But in both occasions, I choose Mewtwo's Shadow Ball and Teleport anyday; Shadow Ball for its wacky tragectory and strength, and Teleport for its speed in being executed so quickly. Lucario's Force Palm and Double Team, on the other hand...

As for that Classic Mode picture, it isn't anywhere on the internet... because it was found as mere data stored under Mewtwo's name. Really, all it is is a bunch of letters saying that Mewtwo HAD a Classic Mode CONGRATS image. You could say it is just an empty file that DID contain an image (which we can't view). It's a shame. :(

At least Mewtwo's a trophy, Roy don't even get that and his theme song is in the game. T_T
Seriously. I don't see why all five cut characters -- even Young Link -- didn't at least get the trophy treatment. Roy's a sticker, so I guess it's not TOO bad... but having his own theme song in Brawl feels like a nice kick in the ***. Proves all the more that he was a slated character, nearly completed, but scrapped at the last minute. I'll bet that would've been his WARNING CHALLENGER APPROACHING battle theme, too.
Heh, my sister always gets upset when she sees that theme playing; she (like me) loved Mewtwo, Doc and Roy (and some semi-love to Pichu and Young Link).

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Hmm, who else here main Mewtwo in melee? There was never anyone else in my area that I knew used Mewtwo at all lol.

As for us still talking about this, it's because Mewtwo deserves to be better than he was.
Hello! Here's another Mewtwo mainer right here! It's true that we are very scattered, but we exist, I assure you.

Your second point is absolutly correct!

He was one of my mains, beaten only by Ganondorf... and topped by Doctor Mario. ( )': )
It was always great to be able to kick *** as Mewtwo against my friends... They were always like, "Oh, Mewtwo's flippin' awesome" when I won with him. Helped to promote his reputation as it once was, I suppose.
Oh yes, its always fun to win with Mewtwo. I've never seen a more embarrassed player than the Fox player I beat back in August... and I'm much better now... but Ganondorf is on roids, seriously. XD

One "Kamehameha" is enough thank you very much... i'm surpised Lucario doesn't have golden hair while doing his FS...

Oh, wow... Well, that works for me with the Young Link debate. :p
The main reason Doctor Mario wasn't an alternate costume for Mario (I theorize) is because Doc was slated to be a playable character... but was cut last minute alongside Mewtwo and Roy. Which sucks, because he was my main man in Melee.
I did like Dr. Mario. Stronger than Mario, and a little slower. Wonder what his altered moveset would've been?

The thing is on the Mewtwo debate... how would you know Mewtwo couldn't have been used competitively in BRAWL? No one's seem him in action in Brawl, only Melee. That's like saying ANY character from Melee would not have been good competitive choices in Brawl... It doesn't make any sense; the two games are so vastly different, you can't compare them that way. MELEE Mewtwo wouldn't have been good in tournaments, yes... but what about BRAWL Mewtwo? Bowser was absolutely horrendous in Melee tournaments... Look at him now! Mr. Game & Watch is another primary example.
As for Melee Bowser, all I have to say is "Gimpyfish." But as far as Mewtwo goes, even Taj only uses Mewtwo in special situations in tournaments. Mewtwo as he should've been on the other hand...

Yes, I don't think Sakurai and company would've been THAT lazy to make a clone Final Smash after Lucario's.
...But, then again... *coughLANDMASTERcough*
*coughTRIFORCESLASHcough*

Yes, the similarities between Mewtwo and Lucario's B-moves is... actually quite interesting. The Up-B's are quick (Lucario's just takes a second to load), and the Bs are obviously similar. (Whyyy doesn't Lucario's Up-B, Extremespeed, hurt people?? It does that in the Pokemon games... and it's actually a powerful move! Leave it to Sakurai and company to screw up on that detail.) But in both occasions, I choose Mewtwo's Shadow Ball and Teleport anyday; Shadow Ball for its wacky tragectory and strength, and Teleport for its speed in being executed so quickly. Lucario's Force Palm and Double Team, on the other hand...
Not to metion that Lucario has to be at 170% damage for his Aura Sphere to be as strong as Mewtwo's Shadow Ball! But yeah, Force Palm is a good move... Double Team? Meh, give me Marth, Ike, or Roy's counters... At least you can't accidentally SD with that...

As for that Classic Mode picture, it isn't anywhere on the internet... because it was found as mere data stored under Mewtwo's name. Really, all it is is a bunch of letters saying that Mewtwo HAD a Classic Mode CONGRATS image. You could say it is just an empty file that DID contain an image (which we can't view). It's a shame. :(
No picture? Dang it.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Whoah. A while back, out of curiosity, I looked at some of the latest Pokemon intros. I was quite put-upon that Mewtwo had apparently stopped making his usual Intro-Cameos.

Just today I saw this screen cap for the eighth opening, which had a cloaked figure, but I said the intro failed due to lack of Mewtwo when I saw it on Youtube...but upon closer inspection...

Seven seasons later and he's still making cameos!

But yeah, I guess it's confirmed that Mewtwo is like the Batman of Pokemon, now. Awesome.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Steelia, you're lying, they didn't find any programmed moves, a yell or voice work. What was found was the sound that's made when you select him with the Wii remote and a classic mode picture. However, both of those folders were empty so that means you won't get to see any classic mode picture of hear a the sound if you want to. They weren't even close to completed characters, why do you have to make up stuff and act as if they were even slightly developed characters?

Anyways, why does this topic still exist!? I've seen it every day on the front page since it was made! Aren't you guys tired of argueing about something so pointless for months?

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Whoah. A while back, out of curiosity, I looked at some of the latest Pokemon intros. I was quite put-upon that Mewtwo had apparently stopped making his usual Intro-Cameos.

Just today I saw this screen cap for the eighth opening, which had a cloaked figure, but I said the intro failed due to lack of Mewtwo when I saw it on Youtube...but upon closer inspection...

Seven seasons later and he's still making cameos!

But yeah, I guess it's confirmed that Mewtwo is like the Batman of Pokemon, now. Awesome.
Firstly, how can you tell that's M2? Where's the tail?

Secondly, the only Pokemon that's been consistantly more popular than Mewtwo is Pikachu. Others like Lucario pull ahead for a little bit, but unoriginal characters like that always end up being passe, while characters like Mewtwo, Pikachu and Charziard LAST.

Steelia, you're lying, they didn't find any programmed moves, a yell or voice work. What was found was the sound that's made when you select him with the Wii remote and a classic mode picture. However, both of those folders were empty so that means you won't get to see any classic mode picture or hear a the sound if you want to. They weren't even close to completed characters, why do you have to make up stuff and act as if they were even slightly developed characters?
Because they were "slightly" devolped characters... or at least Mewtwo was. Think about it: if they had the sound when you select him and a congradulations picture, they must have developed him to some degree!

Anyways, why does this topic still exist!? I've seen it every day on the front page since it was made! Aren't you guys tired of argueing about something so pointless for months?
Nope, apparently not...:p

blacklion

Smash Rookie
This is funny to me because Mewtwo was my number three and Roy was my number one. Even though neither was great, the people I played weren't so awesome either, except for this one Marth player.

I personally think the exchange for Ike was for the best, though, because Roy was a power player with some really lousy attacks. Ike is a better example for the power character.

I know Jigglypuff is classic, but I would've been a lot happier if she would've been cut instead of Mewtwo, if for no other reason than the fact that Mewtwo was more fun to play.

I was also hoping Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia would be in the game, but that didn't happen either. Maybe next time.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Because they were "slightly" devolped characters... or at least Mewtwo was. Think about it: if they had the sound when you select him and a congradulations picture, they must have developed him to some degree!
You realize both of those files were empty, right? So they didn't even have those. You're acting as if non-existant sounds and pictures are a huge part of a character. Anyways, my point was that almost everything Steelia said was a lie or exaggerated which is pretty pathetic, having to make up lies to fuel your arguements.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Steelia, you're lying, they didn't find any programmed moves, a yell or voice work. What was found was the sound that's made when you select him with the Wii remote and a classic mode picture. However, both of those folders were empty so that means you won't get to see any classic mode picture of hear a the sound if you want to. They weren't even close to completed characters, why do you have to make up stuff and act as if they were even slightly developed characters?

...I don't know, would following the words of these guys make me a lier? I'd say more misguided... But, o noez! There are no sources! Nor are there sources for any of the supposed clarified info on the same page.
Personally, I prefer to believe it... Whether you don't is your decision, and yours alone. Until you can hack the disc in THIS manner, you cannot refute nor deny the existance of said info. Empty folders, voice clips, pictures, yadda... I've never seen any visual proof for it all, but do I take their word for it? Sure, why not? So long as they sound professional about it, I'm fine.
And, of course, thus far they haven't been bashed into hacking hell for it... so until people start rallying that "Oh, this isn't true!" I'll remain idle with my opinions of it.

Oh yes, and this topic still exists because people still care. Whether or not you do is, again, your choice. You think after 60+ pages we plan on just dropping the subject? We're getting our voices out. And I don't know about you, but when the next Smash game rolls around, I want to make sure my opinion's been voiced.

And @woopyfrood, what's that picture you had there? I can't see it... (I have an idea of what it is, though. >_> )

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
...I don't know, would following the words of these guys make me a lier? I'd say more misguided... But, o noez! There are no sources! Nor are there sources for any of the supposed clarified info on the same page.
Personally, I prefer to believe it... Whether you don't is your decision, and yours alone. Until you can hack the disc in THIS manner, you cannot refute nor deny the existance of said info. Empty folders, voice clips, pictures, yadda... I've never seen any visual proof for it all, but do I take their word for it? Sure, why not? So long as they sound professional about it, I'm fine.
And, of course, thus far they haven't been bashed into hacking hell for it... so until people start rallying that "Oh, this isn't true!" I'll remain idle with my opinions of it.

Oh yes, and this topic still exists because people still care. Whether or not you do is, again, your choice. You think after 60+ pages we plan on just dropping the subject? We're getting our voices out. And I don't know about you, but when the next Smash game rolls around, I want to make sure my opinion's been voiced.
I agree with hippochinfat!!; it's not that he doubts that the extra files and stuff exist, it's that they don't necessarily mean anything. You may believe whatever you need to, though.

And no offense, but this topic serves next to no purpose right now...it was off the front page for more than a week until woopyfrood randomly bumped it

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
THIS

Mewtwo, definetly deserves to be respected and definetly has to re-appear, as for Melee, I only mained him briefly, though I had stopped due to his lightness, other than that he is perfect the way he is, just with Armor would be nice.
Armor Mewtwo would've been the perfect idea to make Mewtwo heavier!
That's the only problem I had with him in Melee, I loved how he played, but he'd die at like 60% and ****.
How good would he be without DJC and L cancelling though, is the thing.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
You realize both of those files were empty, right? So they didn't even have those. You're acting as if non-existant sounds and pictures are a huge part of a character. Anyways, my point was that almost everything Steelia said was a lie or exaggerated which is pretty pathetic, having to make up lies to fuel your arguements.
Of course...I never said the files had anything in them... they were emptied when the character was cut... but the point remains that M2 was a little bit further in development than the other "Forbidden 7" before he was cut. How far along we'll never know... and as for the hacking, go ask Spadefox! He's seen it first-hand...

That's the only problem I had with him in Melee, I loved how he played, but he'd die at like 60% and ****.
I agree...a little weight and a boost in power, along with new specials (Excluding the Teleport.) and tweaked smash attacks would've fixed Mewtwo. You wouldn't need DJC or L-canceling then...

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
This thread was off the front page for a week because I was gone for a week. I am the Life-Power of this thread.

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
So I guess we all worship Mewtwo. lol. Almost 70 pages mostly all about Mewtwo......
I see a riot coming if he's not in the next smash.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I agree...a little weight and a boost in power, along with new specials (Excluding the Teleport.) and tweaked smash attacks would've fixed Mewtwo. You wouldn't need DJC or L-canceling then...
Very true, forgot to factor in the buffs Nintendo would hopefully give him.
In the Pokemon games, Mewtwo is actually quite heavy.
For his specials, I would say give him something neat for a down and over b, down b should be that Pokemon move that only reflects specials, so it would only reflect b moves or something, to make him even more unique.
Over b, give him like..iunno, ideas?

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I like Down B. Just give it a tad more range and speed...or at least that's what other people are saying. I remember it coming out lightning fast...

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Yeah, I've always wondered what Sakurai was thinking when he made Mewtwo light, If it was for balance, well, Mewtwo was far from needing another weakness.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Erm... The only problem I see with giving Mewtwo his armor is that people will begin to complain that "Hey, Mewtwo's armor was from the anime and not from the games... so PUT IN ANIME CHARACTERS IF YOU CAN PUT IN ITEMS FROM THE ANIME!!". You know, illogical things like that.
HOWEVER. It would be neat if someday in the future, Mewtwo's given the armor as a hold item in the Pokemon games (perhaps boosting his defenses so to combat today's 1st-Gen-rhaping Pokemon?), THEN I could definitely see it happening. :)

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is STILL far from needing help against other Ubers. It's true that he's not at the tippy-top like he used to be, but it's still hard to beat the second mightiest of stat-total...

•Col•

Smash Champion
So I guess we all worship Mewtwo. lol. Almost 70 pages mostly all about Mewtwo......
I see a riot coming if he's not in the next smash.
HAY, dun forget about Roy... ;-;

One night Roy dreamed he was walking along the beach with Mewtwo.
Many scenes from his life flashed across the sky.
In each scene he noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered him because he noticed
that during the low periods of his life,
when he was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
He could see only one set of footprints.

So he said to Mewtwo,
“You promised me Mewtwo,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?”

Mewtwo replied,
“The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you.”

Roy's [Mewtwo's] boy. Lulz.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
HAY, dun forget about Roy... ;-;

One night Roy dreamed he was walking along the beach with Mewtwo.
Many scenes from his life flashed across the sky.
In each scene he noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered him because he noticed
that during the low periods of his life,
when he was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
He could see only one set of footprints.

So he said to Mewtwo,
“You promised me Mewtwo,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?”

Mewtwo replied,
“The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you.”

Roy's [Mewtwo's] boy. Lulz.
O.o

Wow...That was actually quite poetic...

...uhhh...

so i herd u liek paeringz?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Exactly, all Mewtwo really needs besides those is a tweaked moveset such as Psychic or perhaps a knockback attack such as Barrier.

Mewtwo definetly has to be in the next Smash, Giovanni as a trainer would be nice but just seeing Mewtwo as it's own character (with an Armor alt) would really make Smash that much better.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Mewtwo is STILL far from needing help against other Ubers. It's true that he's not at the tippy-top like he used to be, but it's still hard to beat the second mightiest of stat-total...
Indeed. Giygas subliminally manifested into the Pokemon series via the EarthBound guys behind the game... Got to love that. ;P

And LAWL at the poem, Colaya. I know of it. :p

YES, top-of-page winnage.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
"Have you ever heard the saying "You don't know what you have until it's gone." That saying applies here. We didn't realize we would miss Mewtwo until we were given a raccoon humanoid who ranted about aura. We didn't realize we would miss Roy until we were forced to use either Marth or Ike.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I hate it when someone comes in here and says "Roy/Mewtwo should be in the next game, but Mewtwo/Roy shouldn't." -_-

Seriously, there is a better chance that both of them to get in the next game if everyone who supports one character, also supports the other... >_>

tl;dr
(lazy ._.)
Roy fans should get Mewtwo fans' backs, and Mewtwo fans should cover Roy fans' backs.

Quoting myself from quite a bit ago... D:

Lot's of people coming in here saying "I like Mewtwo, not Roy"... ;-; Not much Roy support lately....

Top Bottom