• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people NOW care about Roy and Mewtwo?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Marth fans too intimidated by Marth's manliness shyed away and picked Roy as an alternative.

Seriously, people played Roy. While Marth was better, Roy was still favored by many.

Mewtwo sucking in Melee should not merit it not being in Brawl. Kirby was one of the worst in Melee. What they did to Kirby in Brawl (making him whupass) they could have done to Mewtwo. Mewtwo filled a niché for Brawl (the Pokémon antagonist). No one saw Mewtwo being dropped. Even with Lucario's inclusion, no one though Mewtwo would get booted.
Some of the truest words I've heard in this topic.
What people fail to realize is that yes, Roy WAS a liked AND used character. Nowadays, Captain Falcon is considered bottom tier... Does that prevent people from playing as him? Of course not!

And yes, Mewtwo filled as the Pokemon antagonist. Now, had his legacy been carried on in another equally qualified Legendary (Deoxys or Darkrai, for example), then I know people wouldn't be complaining as much... but knowing that such a highly popular "evil" Pokemon got the boot in favor of time... Makes about as much sense as to why someone like King K. Rool isn't in yet.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
The most annoying thing about it is the fact that Mewtwo was the only non-clone character to be cut. I just cannot understand why Sakurai would do something like that. If you're going to bring everyone else back then what's the point in stopping one character short?

Hopefully the Japanese feel the same way as many of us do. That way Mewtwo will reappear on the Smash "most wanted" polls come the next game.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I have no idea how many times I will repeat that again, however, let's go again.

Mewtwo is, out of the whole cut "Forbidden 7", the character with the most leftover data.

In the listfile which lists all the songs Mewtwo (like Roy) has a mention of an own victory jingle.
Mewtwo also has a classic congratulations-screen and an empty soundfile for the Wiimote sound.

This means that Mewtwo has been cut rather last minute, since there are files the developers forgot to remove.

My theory is that he was cut last minute because Brawl already has been delayed several times.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
I think it's unlikely that it was literally a "last minute" cut. It would need to have been in the first half of development.

Hey, here's a theory. Who's the only character who wouldn't have been in Sakurai's initial Brawl plans? Here's a clue:

"You're too slow!"

What if someone needed to make way to accomodate a certain blue hedgehog? It's a thought.

That said, I believe all of the forbidden 7 were supposed to be in the game. In an interview with ONM UK a couple of months back, Sakurai said that he originally had "a lot more characters" in the game, but that he couldn't talk about them.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
You know, I hear Sonic got in mainly by western demand, so I wonder if western demand can get Mewtwo back in...

Steelia

Smash Champion
You know, I hear Sonic got in mainly by western demand, so I wonder if western demand can get Mewtwo back in...
Very unlikely; the fan outcry is nowhere near as high for Mewtwo as it was for Sonic.

But, then again, there ARE quite a number of upset 1st-generation Pokefans that hated him being out... and quite a number that don't like 2nd-generation Pokemon onwards. So, there is some possibility of voice. But not very loud. (Unless, miraculously, Japan pitches in with us.)

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Pit got to be in Brawl and his game was only considered a cult classic in America.

I'm a little suprised that Sonic got in, since he's the most popular in America and only people in Japan could vote for characters, not to mention that most of his recent console games were bad or average.

I have absoultely no idea how Wolf got to be so popular in Japan aside from him being similar to Shadow who is a bad character who happens to be popular.

I'm pretty sure Sakurai will bring back Mewtwo because of Sonic and Pit.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Pit got to be in Brawl and his game was only considered a cult classic in America.

I'm a little suprised that Sonic got in, since he's the most popular in America and only people in Japan could vote for characters, not to mention that most of his recent console games were bad or average.

I have absoultely no idea how Wolf got to be so popular in Japan aside from him being similar to Shadow who is a bad character who happens to be popular.

I'm pretty sure Sakurai will bring back Mewtwo because of Sonic and Pit.
Wolf was around way before Shadow, though they both fit the same archetype in their respective series.

The difference between Sonic and Pit and Mewtwo is that Sonic and Pit are main characters. You can bring up all the reasons you want, but that doesn't change Mewtwo's situation.

(At least it wasn't the same person to bump the thread this time)

Steelia

Smash Champion
ROB is made to be the new shock character for Brawl. He or Olimar should of been the last one unlockable though.
R.O.B., yes, he should've been one of the last few unlockable characters... Sonic and Snake before him, at least.
But Olimar... ehh... I wouldn't think so. He just feels too common to be that far back. He has nice qualities, but...

Wolf was around way before Shadow, though they both fit the same archetype in their respective series.

The difference between Sonic and Pit and Mewtwo is that Sonic and Pit are main characters. You can bring up all the reasons you want, but that doesn't change Mewtwo's situation.

(At least it wasn't the same person to bump the thread this time)

On the subject of Wolf, he, as mentioned, fit the archrival for the Star Fox series... In a sense, a lead villain, or close to (surpassed by the likes of Andross).
Likewise, in the Pokemon series, there was Mewtwo. Was he a rival to anyone? I wouldn't put it that way. But at the time he was considered the closest to a Boss Pokemon. There are the birds and Mew, yes, but their powers were nothing compared to the cloned psychic cat. There have been many to follow... but none of them really have that malevolent HUMANE feel Mewtwo has. (Groudon and such are just too wild... untamed... like mindless creatures. Odd how he calls out "Mewwwww" when you find him, though, I could never understand that.)

Ridley5000

Smash Apprentice
mewtwo was better than lucario, i dont know why he was taken out
roy....roy just sucked.....he was a slower marth with fire, thats all.....well...his regular special was ok....
i dont know why ike was in brawl, i played his games and they sucked (exception to the black night of course)

viparagon

Smash Ace
roy....roy just sucked.....he was a slower marth with fire, thats all.....well...his regular special was ok....
i dont know why ike was in brawl, i played his games and they sucked (exception to the black night of course)
what exactly do you mean by mewtwo was better than lucario?

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'm a little perplexed by that as well... though, as I stand, I still don't believe in comparing Brawl characters to Melee characters due to so many differences between them (balance, physics, etc.).
I'll just assume Ridley5000 meant Mewtwo is cooler than Lucario, or perhaps superior in terms of the actual Pokemon games . . . which I suppose would make more sense. :chuckle:

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I absolutely loved Ike's FE games, though they were a tad on the easier side compared to earlier renditions.
Roy sucks? Roy could juggle just as well as Marth, and he was hardly slower then Marth, his aerials almost came out just as fast. You could get like...4 hit kills with Roy(Down tilt, over air, over air, over smash). Go watch Neo play or somethin', he's a beast with Roy(Though his Marth is beastly too.)

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Mewtwo is still more known by the general populace due to having been in Pokemon's golden age. I don't know about you, but here in America people thought Jiggs was a piss poor addition on both message boards and IRL in Smash 64, and wanted Charizard or Mewtwo. Everyone worshipped Charizard due to the card game and Mewtwo due to the video games due to their overpowered statuses in both, respectively.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Woah woah woah woah WOAH. Can you guys not keep this thread alive without me?

That may say something about this thread.

And me.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ Yes, the thread died off with you out and about. Really, it's because I've vented all I've needed to say, I suppose. I'm still emailing, I'm still submitting that picture of trophy Mewtwo via Wi-Fi, still fighting for this particular cause.

Haha... Which reminds me... In my college Psychology book, there was a picture of the 1st Gen Pokemon game cards (I forget why that picture was in there). On one of the stands was Pikachu. On the other? Mewtwo. Ohhh Brawl, how you failed me.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I guess we've said all that needs to be said...

There's only one thing left, and that's looking toward the future, while reminiscing about the past. It's the new forward. And it's undepletable.

As shown.

Megafetch XD

Smash Rookie
Not care ....not care?....
i wuv'd mewtwo.....he was my fav char in melee.....and for no1 usin him.....its not that most people didnt liek him it's mostly people didnt record it......like ....me for example i played with mewtwo all the time but i dont record it.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Not care ....not care?....
i wuv'd mewtwo.....he was my fav char in melee.....and for no1 usin him.....its not that most people didnt liek him it's mostly people didnt record it......like ....me for example i played with mewtwo all the time but i dont record it.
Same. I loved playing as him, but never bothered to record them. Didn't see any point in it.

Mewtwo's cut... One of the worst decisions Sakurai has made, slapping us old-school Pokemon fans hard in the face. If anything, I'd say it was a [falcon] punch in the gut. That, and adding tripping. The fail that is the cutting of characters and tripping > the greatness of the game.
Really.
Now how's about we cut Ganondorf in the next game in favor for Vaati, and Bowser for Bowser Jr.? Leave Sakurai on the team, I'm sure he'd LOVE to do that. Because, you know, these modern times deserve modern characters, just like how Mario's faction in Brawl has... well... actually, they didn't get any new faces. BUT Zelda has... err, Toon Link... and Fox has... an old nemisis... BUT Kirby has... his old-school foes...

Top Bottom