• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people NOW care about Roy and Mewtwo?

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
green kirby,
my theory is that people miss them for two possible reasons:
1. its hard to break up. when we went from SSB to melee we didnt have to lose any characters. now they are gone and we cant get them back.
2. i think people might miss them cuz the some returning characters that were liked now suck harder than roy did (i.e. c. falcon & ganondorf). no disrespect meant! ganondorf is still my second favorite in melee forever!

Master of Fossils

Smash Apprentice
meh Its just fun to go back to melle every once in a while and be like OH NEW CHARACTERS! (but they are not really new O_o) lol besides..... who doesn't think that mewtwo is like the most Bad*** pokemon anyway?

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
I cared about all 5 of the characters who didn't make the cut. Pichu, Roy, Mewtwo, Doc, and YLink. They were all fun to play with sometimes.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Originally Posted by eman
"I liked Roy, Mewtwo no....Pokemon in brawl is EPIC fail!"

Pokemon in Brawl are part of what make it so fun. It's rediculous for Jigglypuff to beat the tar out of Snake, but Brawl allows people to do that kind of thing.

ibrium

Smash Cadet
People care because they are nostalgic. Players want to be able to play as THEIR favorite character, not the new favorite of the masses. And that's fair.

It's important to remember that, in essence, SSBB was a profit-making good produced by a profit-making company. The best way to do that is to appeal to recent video gamers, and that's exactly what they did. Nintendo realized that a goof portion of Wii owners had probably never even played Melee, and that most of them were younger (high school, at least). They had to try and appeal to these gamers. So, Lucario for Mewtwo was a no-brainer: he's a newer pokemon. I can't speak specifically for Ike, but perhaps he has importance in a recent FE game? Someone have any idea?

As to people who didn't play as any of the characters now missing, it is more or less a consistency thing. They were expecting continuity. They didn't get it. Surprised, they got outraged.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I just hope this grave mistake is mended by next Smash (or sooner), and shall never be made again.

Steelia

Smash Champion
People care because they are nostalgic. Players want to be able to play as THEIR favorite character, not the new favorite of the masses. And that's fair.

It's important to remember that, in essence, SSBB was a profit-making good produced by a profit-making company. The best way to do that is to appeal to recent video gamers, and that's exactly what they did. Nintendo realized that a goof portion of Wii owners had probably never even played Melee, and that most of them were younger (high school, at least). They had to try and appeal to these gamers. So, Lucario for Mewtwo was a no-brainer: he's a newer pokemon. I can't speak specifically for Ike, but perhaps he has importance in a recent FE game? Someone have any idea?

As to people who didn't play as any of the characters now missing, it is more or less a consistency thing. They were expecting continuity. They didn't get it. Surprised, they got outraged.
I believed that theory for a while myself... but what would explain the inclusion of Pit? R.O.B.? The readditions of the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch? Heck, even Pokemon Trainer consists of old-school Pokemon, whereas most people were wanting a more recent Gen trainer with Blaziken and such.
So Sakurai could've been trying to appeal to more wider fanbases... but last I checked, Kid Icarus wasn't one of the most profoundly recognized video games ever made (when compared to Mario and such), and R.O.B. ... Well... he DID appear in Mario Kart DS, but wasn't exactly very recognized there, either.

What I mean to get at is, Sakurai's an old-school kind of guy' he seems to enjoy living in the past and hates change. (Just take a look at the style of his Kirby games!) If it were up to him, I'll bet a number of modern reps (Ike, Lucario, Wolf) would probably not be in... and in their stead be the likes of Mewtwo, Roy and Dr. Mario.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
This...

Do you think anybody high-up in Nintendo/Ect. has noticed that people are not happy that Mewtwo is gone?

With all of this complianing, I hope so... sign the petition! If enough of us sign it, Nintendo WILL notice...

On topic.

Cool! This is my first comment! As a Mewtwo mainer in Melee, I just assumed that Mewtwo would be vammped up for Brawl. Mewtwo being excluded didn't even enter my mind. When I heard that the clones were going, I thought that Ganondorf and Falco would stay with modified moves. Falco did, but Ganondorf needed his sword as more than a taunt! Characters with original movesets getting the boot never occured to me. Mewtwo was the only one WITH an original moveset to be left out. Brawl was made short on playable villians when that happened.

As for Roy, I play Marth, so I don't care one way or the other...

.Marik

is a social misfit
What interests me, is that people are STILL talking about this.

What's done is done.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hey, I say, why not let them talk about it? Although, your right, it is sorta a done deal. But I like to complain about it alot, though. I guess thats our way of dealing with losses of our personal faves.

Rogue Trader

Smash Rookie
It is a shame mewtwo is gone., he was awesome fun to use. They didn't really need to drop him either. A bit of a power up, a coupla changes, and he would have fitted right in.

Roy sucks though-marth was just so much better, and we have him and Ike this time round so i'm not complaining.

Steelia

Smash Champion
With all of this complianing, I hope so... sign the petition! If enough of us sign it, Nintendo WILL notice...

On topic.

Cool! This is my first comment! As a Mewtwo mainer in Melee, I just assumed that Mewtwo would be vammped up for Brawl. Mewtwo being excluded didn't even enter my mind. When I heard that the clones were going, I thought that Ganondorf and Falco would stay with modified moves. Falco did, but Ganondorf needed his sword as more than a taunt! Characters with original movesets getting the boot never occured to me. Mewtwo was the only one WITH an original moveset to be left out. Brawl was made short on playable villians when that happened.

As for Roy, I play Marth, so I don't care one way or the other...
You sir get extra brownie points for not only supporting Mewtwo, but making your first post just to support him! We need more people like that, whether for Mewtwo, Doctor Mario, Roy, Pichu, or even Young Link. (I don't think I've heard a complaint about Young Link being gone yet, though, besides from myself, anyway.)

What interests me, is that people are STILL talking about this.

What's done is done.
Hey, I say, why not let them talk about it? Although, your right, it is sorta a done deal. But I like to complain about it alot, though. I guess thats our way of dealing with losses of our personal faves.
We're mainly talking about what CAN be done. Thus the massive campaigning and all, you see?...
...What these two said.
We're still talking about it because we know something can be done about it in the future. If people don't talk, guess what? The higher ups will figure, "Hey, they're not complaining... That must mean they don't miss the characters! We'll just keep them out."
What WE are trying to do is keep their flames alive. "Hey, they're STILL complaining? Perhaps we really did do something stupid. Let's shut 'em up and put those guys back in!"

It is a shame mewtwo is gone., he was awesome fun to use. They didn't really need to drop him either. A bit of a power up, a coupla changes, and he would have fitted right in.

Roy sucks though-marth was just so much better, and we have him and Ike this time round so i'm not complaining.
...By saying that, didn't you just contradict yourself? You're saying that Mewtwo could've gotten some nice power-ups in Brawl... yet Roy couldn't have? I just thought I'd point that out. :p
Ike's cheap as all hell, though... Roy could've easily been the dividing character between Marth and Roy. I hate using Marth because he's too weak for me, yet I don't want to use Ike because he is shunned for his incredible knockback (much like the Meta Knight hate lately).

Sigrid Fiinikkusu

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, who else here main Mewtwo in melee? There was never anyone else in my area that I knew used Mewtwo at all lol.

As for us still talking about this, it's because Mewtwo deserves to be better than he was.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hmm, who else here main Mewtwo in melee? There was never anyone else in my area that I knew used Mewtwo at all lol.

As for us still talking about this, it's because Mewtwo deserves to be better than he was.
He was one of my mains, beaten only by Ganondorf... and topped by Doctor Mario. ( )': )
It was always great to be able to kick *** as Mewtwo against my friends... They were always like, "Oh, Mewtwo's flippin' awesome" when I won with him. Helped to promote his reputation as it once was, I suppose.

snowaxe

Smash Apprentice
Roy was my main in melee XD. I think it might be the nostalgia of them not being in it. Like they dident care about until it happend.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
This...

Do you think anybody high-up in Nintendo/Ect. has noticed that people are not happy that Mewtwo is gone?
Did you ever read Sakurais development interviews? He actually sounded pretty remorseful when ask what characters will be in Brawl. "Unfortunatly, I was not able to include all of the characters from the predecesor and some charactes will not be making a return in Brawl" He also stated that this was due to development limitations.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah, Hmmmm. Mewtwo, or Rob. Oh, how about Rob! Seriously, Rob sucks. I mean, he was just hardware. :/

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Yeah, Hmmmm. Mewtwo, or Rob. Oh, how about Rob! Seriously, Rob sucks. I mean, he was just hardware. :/
Agreed, ROB is one of those chracters that got in by Sakurai's damand. So like Pichu, he was one of those, WTF chracters of the rouster.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah, instead of having ROB and LUCAS Mewtwo and Roy could have been on. Although, I liked Pichu, but he was a toughy, and very easy to kill. Although Rob was more annoying and just not neccesary.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

THIS

Mewtwo, definetly deserves to be respected and definetly has to re-appear, as for Melee, I only mained him briefly, though I had stopped due to his lightness, other than that he is perfect the way he is, just with Armor would be nice.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I think all Mewtwo really needed was more weight and for his side and down specials to actually do something. Side-b is easy, just MAKE THE REFLECTED PROJECTILE HURT THE OPPONENT!!! Down-b will probably have to be competley remade, however.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I liked Mewtwo's Down-B. I thought his Side-B was useless. I mean COME ON! PEOPLE CAN ATTACK BACK AT YOU IN MID-SPIN! And it doesn't even send your opponent away, so it can't be used as an anti-approach move! As for reflecting? You were better off shielding.

However, it looked totally badass...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Mewtwo "disable" was definetly a cool move so I wouldn't mind keeping that move, though like woody mentioned his confusion move really isn't that effective, not to mention you can can srtuct by it while the opponent is in mid-air, plus it really didn't look appealing, but as for the rest of his moveset it's alright.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
a mewtwo flavored version of lucario would be sweet. we could reimagine mewtwo by using parts of lucarios moveset and such with hacks.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Did you ever read Sakurais development interviews? He actually sounded pretty remorseful when ask what characters will be in Brawl. "Unfortunatly, I was not able to include all of the characters from the predecesor and some charactes will not be making a return in Brawl" He also stated that this was due to development limitations.
Yes, I remember hearing that, but words cannot compensate for the characters that were lost.
The thing is, Mewtwo was already MADE during his time. Matter of fact, from what I've heard and the facts I've seen, Mewtwo AND Roy were completed characters... but were cut in favor of Wolf and Sonic. Of course, the Wolf-Sonic thing is just speculation... but there's no denying that Mewtwo and Roy were very developed characters... ESPECIALLY Mewtwo, whom they found voice work, programmed moves (Shadow Ball, Teleport), the Classic Mode "CONGRATULATIONS" picture, and even him yelling his Final Smash!
:(

Agreed, ROB is one of those chracters that got in by Sakurai's damand. So like Pichu, he was one of those, WTF chracters of the rouster.

I'd... have to say Mr. Game & Watch was the more WTF character in that game. :p

Yeah, instead of having ROB and LUCAS Mewtwo and Roy could have been on. Although, I liked Pichu, but he was a toughy, and very easy to kill. Although Rob was more annoying and just not neccesary.
Pichu was all right... Granted, I used him more than Pikachu due to his deceptive strength, I really don't see much chance of him returning. His popularity has just dwindled far too much (though, amazingly, he seems to be receiving quite the bit of support).
As for Lucas... What's up with everyone hating Lucas? Was it because his game never made it outside of Japanese shores? I really don't see why there's so much hate for him. Play his game, THEN decide whether or not he's just some crybaby. Sakurai obviously ruined Mewtwo's image in Melee; good chance Lucas's was soiled by his mere showing in Brawl's Subspace Emissary.
Really... Think about it.

THIS

Mewtwo, definetly deserves to be respected and definetly has to re-appear, as for Melee, I only mained him briefly, though I had stopped due to his lightness, other than that he is perfect the way he is, just with Armor would be nice.
Mm, I really don't see Mewtwo ever wearing his armor, given that that reference is from the Pokemon anime and not from the actual games.
However, what would be really kick@ss is if GAME FREAK allowed that armor to be incorporated into future Pokemon games as a special Mewtwo-only hold item... perhaps boosting his defenses so to combat the more modern Legendaries (those suckers are getting difficult to contend with).

MAKE THE REFLECTED PROJECTILE HURT THE OPPONENT!!!
I 100% concur with that. That was one thing I never understood about that move. Fox and Falco could reflect AND hurt the opponent; why didn't Mewtwo get the same treatment?
Leave it to Sakurai to screw up awesome characters like that.

a mewtwo flavored version of lucario would be sweet. we could reimagine mewtwo by using parts of lucarios moveset and such with hacks.
NO. PLEASE no. As good as an idea that may sound, the Mewtwo fans would get SO much heat from the Lucario fanboys, sending in their mockery up the yin-yang. "OH LOOK THE ALL-POWERFUL MEWTWOS A LUCARIO CLONE HAHA CUT HIM STUPID CAT CLONE"
No... Just... no. Mewtwo is fine the way he is. Just beef his moves, lessen the lag (forward smash), apply the inescapable-combo physics (A,A and up-smash), get rid of some of the tail moves, and he'll be all set.

Yeah, I've seen that. Awesome texture hack.
However, it will never, ever come close to being a suitable replacement for Mewtwo. :(

Barge

All I want is a custom title
If anything, Mewtwos confuse would have to be like ZSS' down smash to be effective at all

§leepy God

Smash Master
If anything, Mewtwos confuse would have to be like ZSS' down smash to be effective at all
Wouldn't that be more like his Disable move. O_o

I would say at least make the person stun to the point that they can't do anything but hit the ground, that would come up on a lot of combo's for Mewtwo.

Sigrid Fiinikkusu

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo's disable needs more range too and needs to be faster. >.> It's always a pain to have to practically stand next to the person just to land disable. Even then you could always get smack while Mewtwo's trying to bring out the move.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Mewtwo's disable needs more range too and needs to be faster. >.> It's always a pain to have to practically stand next to the person just to land disable. Even then you could always get smack while Mewtwo's trying to bring out the move.
Indeed. It's too bad you couldn't charge it like a Smash Attack; just release when they're close by and they're stunned, no problem. I suppose the longer you charge it, the longer stunned they'd be. That would probably help Mewtwo out a little bit more.

Top Bottom