• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people NOW care about Roy and Mewtwo?

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
people now care about the 5 characters that arent in brawl cause its like the theory, you dont appriciate what you have until its gone. i personlly dont really care, the only character i miss is dr. mario. but he was just a direct clone.

cjrocker

Smash Ace
About...

*checks number of pages*

59 pages, it seems. :p

Seriously, give people something to rant about that really pisses them off... they'll just keep going and going. Take for example the presidential elections; some people are STILL ranting that Al Gore should have been president. >_>

Probably not the best example... but it was the closest one I could come up with.

In this case, however, what a lot of people wanted was both Lucario AND Mewtwo... just like how I wanted Marth AND Roy, Mario AND Dr. Mario (though Doc was not a surprise, nor was Roy, so much as Mewtwo in terms of being cut).

I think the reason we keep complaining is due to the small fact that the Wii cannot support downloadable content (in its present state). As such, we people who used Mewtwo, Doc, Roy, Young Link, Pichu know we'll never get to see these characters again due to that minor exclusion of said downloadable content. And what better topic to speak what's on our minds?
Fair enough. This is really the first logical response I've read in this thread.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Are you really asking that?

No, why would someone complain?
Well, yeah I'm really askin' dat.

I hate Lucario, but I never said he was a bad fighter...

As much as it burns my eyes to see him in Brawl, I must accept, if not respect, the fact that

1. He is in.

2. He has a fan-base.

If I was to support Mewtwo and then NOT support Lucario, I would be a ginormous ****ing hypocrite.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I prepared myself for all characters... BUT Mewtwo. I'm dead serious. He was the ONLY character out of all I unprepped myself for. I... really don't know why I did that. Sure, the idea of him being cut came to mind once or twice. I think I was just trying to keep myself in a state of denial. "Nawww, they would never cut the great epicness of Mewtwo just because he sucked in Melee! They'd give him a good comeback in Brawl! Yeah, that's it. He's coming back. No doubt. No doubts."

;_;
This. Though I was also surpirsed to not see Dr.Mario return as an alt costume for Mario.

And I signed your petition.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I have always loved Doc. Roy, he was kool, actually. I never tried Mewtwo much, too floaty and weird for me, weirder than Yoshi in that sense.

Steelia

Smash Champion
This. Though I was also surpirsed to not see Dr.Mario return as an alt costume for Mario.

And I signed your petition.
The only reason Doctor Mario wasn't a Mario alternate costume... was because Doc was slated to be a full-blown individual playable character. Due to this, he couldn't have been an alternate costume, or else there would've been Mario with a Doc costume and... Doctor Mario. o_O

Ah, and thanks for that. Every signature counts. :D

I have always loved Doc. Roy, he was kool, actually. I never tried Mewtwo much, too floaty and weird for me, weirder than Yoshi in that sense.
Not as weird as Luigi. :p

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ah, true. Funnily enough, I love his wavedash, its so sexy, I played a 99 stock match with a level 9 Luigi, haha. I seemed to notice I was Self Destructing alot. D: <

God Luigi rocks, I want him to be one of my mains, but I'll see what I'll do.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I totally agree, Ike is popular only because he has the Ragnal, argh. Also My Ike never could beat the Black Night, even with Aether, argh.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Never cared about Roy, but I always cared about Mewtwo and defending him 'till the day he was de-confirmed...if that was a word.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
But... but... Ike as a golden holy sword. If you stare at it, you'll go to heaven after he swings it at you with your shield down and make sure you bow to it or you'll go to hell.

Wow, your Ike sucks. XD

Well, of course, its all about Ragnal, then, not Ike, since you say that. xD ;3

Yeah, thats why I started over, and was already level 20 before being class changed. :3 This time, I will kill him. D:

blayde_axel

Smash Master
After playing Melee again after a while, I really miss Roy. It's something about him that makes him so fun to play as.

And, they didn't even give Mewtwo a chance on Brawl. He could have been awesome, but, for some reason, they figured "let's add a pokemon that's not his type/only has two similar moves."

The next Smash just shouldn't be hyped. Or else disappointment's bound to happen.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
The next Smash just shouldn't be hyped. Or else disappointment's bound to happen.
Even if Sakurai himself didn't hype Brawl, the fans themselves would have hyped it up. Simply suggesting that K.Rool or Ridley could be playable is all it could take to raise hopes and expectations.

Steelia

Smash Champion

This image needs no introduction.
Wholly LMAO! That was great. I got a kick out of that... It should really say, "Deserved" to be in Brawl... but, either way works. :)

I care about mewtwo because it shows he is catering to the noobs. Old school pokemon ftw.
This message is Captain Falcon approved.
YES

After playing Melee again after a while, I really miss Roy. It's something about him that makes him so fun to play as.

And, they didn't even give Mewtwo a chance on Brawl. He could have been awesome, but, for some reason, they figured "let's add a pokemon that's not his type/only has two similar moves."
Yeah. I played Melee when I had to ship out my Nintendo Wii for repairs, so I erased all the characters and reunlocked them... Let's just say that I've found new respect for ALL the cut characters (Pichu in particular, being an amazing Damage Ratio 2.0-One Stock Match KILLER).
And you can bet your pants I had a nice fanboygasm when Mewtwo finally approached. I didn't stop playing as him till I found Mr. Game & Watch via stock matches. :3

Even if Sakurai himself didn't hype Brawl, the fans themselves would have hyped it up. Simply suggesting that K.Rool or Ridley could be playable is all it could take to raise hopes and expectations.
True that.
What we should really be saying is, "DON'T PUSH DELAYS. THEY'RE HAPPENING FOR A REASON. LET THEM TAKE THEIR SWEET, SWEET TIME. IT MEANS MORE CHARACTERS, YOU MORONS. SHUT THE HELL UP AND GIVE THEM A FEW MORE WEEKS, UNLESS YOU'D RATHER SEE ANOTHER BRAWL." (Given you were disappointed by it.)

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I've always cared about Mewtwo. Never gave a **** about Roy though, since I played Mewtwo in Melee, and not Roy.

There really was no reason to take Mewtwo out. Roy I could see, but Mewtwo???

Steelia

Smash Champion
Instajoin'd.
I hear that.
Though Mewtwo's not necessarily my favorite of all Pokemon (Charizard, Lugia and Darkrai [respectively] top him), he was and is still one of my more favorite Smash characters. I can't tell you how happy I was to hear he was in Melee.
...Matter of fact, I think I bought Melee just for the sake of him being in it! (I also accidentally thought Mew was playable, too, when I came across how to unlock the trophy... mistaking it for a character. :p )

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Mewtwo was my #1 wanted character for Melee, so I was natrually extatic when I found out about melee's roster. I honetly couldn't have cared less who Marth, Roy, or Game and Watch were, I just wanted Mewtwo! (though Ganondorf was a pleasent surprise)

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand taking Mewtwo out at all. He's so iconic and important to the game series (again, we have Pokemon Trainer, not Ash, so why are we getting a new pokemon—Lucario—who is more important to the anime rather than the game series?). Hell, my favorite pokemon is Snorlax. I'd love to play as his tubby *** and beat some people up (Curselax moveset for the win!), but Mewtwo would be my second choice. I can't do either now. :/ Roy I can certainly understand (but it's still regrettable).

Steelia

Smash Champion
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_found_in_school_lunches

For those in support of Mewtwo... check out this link.
It seems that a food service provider's been doing Pokemon-related activities with their lunches. Included on said activites are one of seven Pokemon.
I dare you to guess which of those seven Pokemon makes the cut on this activity.
And I dare you to guess which certain other aura-using Pokemon did not get recognized.

Game Freak pulling him out because he's a "washed-up has-been", yet he's still making modern appearances in these things AND the card games as well?
Bull.

Bull.

cjrocker

Smash Ace
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_found_in_school_lunches

For those in support of Mewtwo... check out this link.
It seems that a food service provider's been doing Pokemon-related activities with their lunches. Included on said activites are one of seven Pokemon.
I dare you to guess which of those seven Pokemon makes the cut on this activity.
And I dare you to guess which certain other aura-using Pokemon did not get recognized.

Game Freak pulling him out because he's a "washed-up has-been", yet he's still making modern appearances in these things AND the card games as well?
Bull.

Bull.
Now you're really pulling stuff out of your ***. Game Freak? That article doesn't mention them anywhere. This is some school trying to entertain little kids, it's not the creators of Pokemon trying to promote anything. This doesn't change Game Freak's opinion on anything.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Is everyone forgetting about Dr. Mario? He was cool too... =/
And what about Pichu? That little useless rat.. that no one cared about..
and still doesn't.. lol.
Dr. Mario was Mario in a docters suit.... not very creative if you asked me. =/

And Pichu was basicly a joke chracter, suppose to be the weakest and the most hardest to fight with. Most fighting games that has joke chracters only in one game.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I would have taken Roy over Marth because of the inclusion of Ike. Seriously, two male blue haired anime characters from the video game series is boring. Roy had some sharp red hair and that's one of a kind.

Mewtwo didn't have to go either, odd choice. I'm not hurt over it or anything, but it's true that unique characters should not have been removed. He's shares a couple of similar movies with Lucario, but his instant teleportation is fun.

Rudra

Smash Ace
I wish neither of them had left as they were both pretty cool characters to play as in Melee...Mewtwo, being unique, and Roy being...well, just cool (and often underestimated). If they were in Brawl, I'm sure that Roy could have had his moveset changed a bit so he'd be less of a "clone" (kind of like what they did with the Fox & Falco case, but maybe a bit more extensive), and Mewtwo could have had a couple changes done as well. Out of the two, I really, really miss Roy the most.

~Roy's our Boy!~

Steelia

Smash Champion
Now you're really pulling stuff out of your ***. Game Freak? That article doesn't mention them anywhere. This is some school trying to entertain little kids, it's not the creators of Pokemon trying to promote anything. This doesn't change Game Freak's opinion on anything.
So this food service company didn't ask anyone related to the Pokemon franchise to have usage of the characters? Wouldn't that be illegal to do that?
In any case, SOMEONE of higher Pokemon-related authority had to have something to do with this... Maybe not Game Freak (I figured them, but I forgot about-), perhaps the Pokemon Company... I don't know.
And since when have things like this not been for promotion?

"Hey, can I use your Pokeymans for this food thing?"
"Sure! {Is secretly promoting the Pokemon franchise to boost back the popularity of it.}"

Really, what company doesn't do that, from Sony and Microsoft to Nintendo and SEGA? Who wouldn't want to promote via this method? If it gets their series more recognized... Heck, I know if I were in their shoes I'd love to be apart of it.

That's just my two cents on it, anyway.
Mewtwo was featured in a modern {subliminal} activity-related promotion; I was trying to defend him from those who continue to think he's not a popular/recognizable Pokemon anymore in terms with the actual Pokemon Company. That was all I was getting at.

JawKnee~ said:
Is everyone forgetting about Dr. Mario? He was cool too... =/
And what about Pichu? That little useless rat.. that no one cared about..
and still doesn't.. lol.
I didn't forget him, if that helps. He was my main man in Melee. I just rant more about Mewtwo because... well... he's a Legendary Pokemon/not a clone/may actually have a shot at returning to the series.

Rudra said:
~Roy's our Boy!~
That phrase is depressing. Every time I hear "We like Ike!" I think of "Roy's our boy!". It's odd.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you would agree, but Roy has a bloody dangerous counter (down'B') I remember using him for the first time. The unexpected KO's you could pull of with him were amazing, Same goes with mewtwo, the paralyzing move he had was great for all circumstances, I think it's the forward 'B' move, not so sure though.

Top Bottom