• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who here knows more than one language?

Cinder

Smash Master
It was only a matter of time (anyone who's seen me around lately should have seen this coming). Who here knows more than one language? Do you want to learn any others?

I have an entire list. Of these, I'm comfortable saying I know Spanish and Swedish at or slightly above beginner (Spanish at an intermediate level).

«Native languages»
English
My un-named language

«High desire of fluency»
German
Swedish
Spanish
Italian
Dutch

«Moderate desire of fluency»
Scottish Gaelic
Irish Gaelic
American Sign Language
Hungarian

«Desire to be passable»
French
Portuguese
Latin
Arabic
Icelandic
Belorussian/Belarusian (two different spellings)
Faroese
Russian
Romanian
Basque

«May/may not learn»
Japanese
Assamese
Norwegian
Afrikaans
Finnish
Danish
Hindi

Yes, I'm a language nerd...I will not deny that...I've chosen linguistics as my major for a reason xD

Anyway, what about y'all?

Mifune

Smash Cadet
I speak english, french, vietnamese and chinese. Im currently learning spanish at school (it's an obligatory class this year but oh well I'm liking it:laugh:). Learning japanese would be cool.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lol cinder! I haven't seen you around swf in a long time. XD

I know English, Cantonese, Vietnamese and I was learning French throughout school. (lol sup Mifune). I kindaaaa want to learn Korean cause im fanboyish like that <3

ru5514n

Smash Ace
I speak English and Russian fluently. Right now I'm in AP Spanish, so I'd say I have about intermediate fluency in that language. I also know a few words in Belarusian (I noticed it was on your list lol).

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
First language: Aramaic (Jesus' language)

99.9% sure no else on the board shares the same first language as me lol.

Fluent in English
Can read/translate Latin.
Understand Arabic moderately.
Broken French and Spanish.

- never heard of Assamese

n88

Smash Lord
I speak English American fluently, and I'm learning Spanish in school, although I speak at ~Fifth Grade level. I'd like to learn Japanese and maybe Italian.

DUB

Smash Lord
I wish I knew another language. I've always wanted to be one of those people in public talking a different language so people don't know what they are saying.

Mifune

Smash Cadet
lol cinder! I haven't seen you around swf in a long time. XD

I know English, Cantonese, Vietnamese and I was learning French throughout school. (lol sup Mifune). I kindaaaa want to learn Korean cause im fanboyish like that <3

Why hello there lol. You're more vietnamese or chinese? I'm more vietnamese, my mom is half vietnamese and half chinese and my dad is full viet so yeah. N9NE, that's quite an interesting first language you got there o.o

S l o X

Smash Champion
>:[
"You dont know spanish?"
"No...I'm taking INTM. Spanish class"
"BUT AINT YOU SPANISH?"

No **** shurlock. I now officially hate you. (:
Happens to me at least twice a month and when I'm at the cuchifrito I don't bother saying I dont know spanish. I speak spanish like a gringo. (:

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
Any fluent Filipinos in here that speak Tagalog or Bisaya?

I guess I can speak Italian cuz im taking classes,
moreso than my own native Phlippine languages that I have never really got a chance to learn....

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
English and Vietnamese. Would've known Cantonese as well if my dad had spoken it to me as a kid.

I studied Italian earlier but failed miserably.

Definitely want to learn Japanese.

I can speak English, and can somewhat understand Arabic, Arabic used to be my first language, I definatly miss it. I suck at German, but understand somethings here and there
I find this interesting.

I can speak:

Fluently: English (I guess) and French.
Somewhat: Arabic and Mandarin Chinese.
Only a bit: Balinese, Japanese, Welsh, and German.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
German as first language. Then English, French, Latin as foreign languagues (my french/latin sucks now though). Currently learning Russian and Bulgarian. Might learn Turkish / Arabic in the future. Don't know yet.

:059:

Healer

Smash Apprentice
I know Esperanto as well as my 1st language (English). I also know a bit of Japanese.
I would love to learn esperanto

I'm fluent in.....english
I wish i was fluent (and i'm trying my hardest) in spanish but i've grown to hate the language (wat a morale booster) due to being around it so much (my heritage) and the constant nagging and being made fun of from other hispanics because i don't speak spanish. Ugh -_-

afterwords i'm learning esperanto

those 2 i want to leaarn for sure

but afterwards:
french (sounds cool)
mandarin chinese (great for my prospective career)
japanese (always loved japanese)

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
English and French. I'm afraid that's it. I tried to learn Mandarin but I just couldn't memorise the characters - I got all my strokes wrong, and couldn't pronounce the tones right. :(

Healer

Smash Apprentice
well atleast your bilingual, and you tried, have you tried learning to speak first, they say that writing is maddd hard and if your left handed "impossible" but with some dedication i bet some lefthander can do it (hopefully me) teehee

_umbra_

Smash Champion
mandarin is sooo hard, I never would have passed my first semester of it if my professor wasn't amazing ^_^ you just have to keep at it and practice like every day, you'll get used to the tones and the writing

k/mh

Smash Rookie
Well, my mother is korean and my father is from Germany and that's also where I live.

- German fluently
- English fluently but not native speaker
- Latin: I can read it and translate sentences into German, but I can't speak it, it's not like I can order a pizza in latin language ;)
- Ancient Greek: same thing as in Latin
- Korean: only the very basics, was able to speak it fluently but I completely forgot it :mad: I need to learn it and I also want to
- Basics in Spanish, French and Japanese

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Well I can speak pretty decent Irish and German.(not fluent but my understanding of it is really good)

English is obviously fluent.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I would love to learn esperanto

I'm fluent in.....english
I wish i was fluent (and i'm trying my hardest) in spanish but i've grown to hate the language (wat a morale booster) due to being around it so much (my heritage) and the constant nagging and being made fun of from other hispanics because i don't speak spanish. Ugh -_-

afterwords i'm learning esperanto

those 2 i want to leaarn for sure

but afterwards:
french (sounds cool)
mandarin chinese (great for my prospective career)
japanese (always loved japanese)
I forgot to mention I knew a bit of Spanish as well. It helps when you learn Esperanto because you can say "Oh yes, that's similar too..."

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
English, French, Farsi.

Basic German too.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Teran's awesome because he knows Farsi.

-English
-Spanish
-Farsi

I know a bit of Japanese too, taking some classes in College for it.

Top Bottom