• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best/worst jab in the game?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Falco has the best jab. Period. It's really no contest.
If by best, you mean, "pretty good, useful, above average, and the animation is just the bee's knees", then you'd be correct.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Falco has the best jab. Period. It's really no contest.
....Except for the fact that the hitstun is so low on it that you can interrupt Falco's jab combo with a jab of your own as long as it's frame 3 or quicker, like how Ninjalink did against one Falco using Ike.

Ike has the best Jab. Best % damage, third most killing power for a jab, most reliable Jab Canceling options (and probably second most devastating jab canceling options), great range for a jab, frame 3, most hitstun for a jab, combat walking......it's simply the best.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
....Except for the fact that the hitstun is so low on it that you can interrupt Falco's jab combo with a jab of your own as long as it's frame 3 or quicker, like how Ninjalink did against one Falco using Ike.
That is because the Falco made an error and was probably tapping the button rathe rthan holding it down.

You can interrupt samus' though.
Ike has the best Jab. Best % damage, third most killing power for a jab, most reliable Jab Canceling options (and probably second most devastating jab canceling options), great range for a jab, frame 3, most hitstun for a jab, combat walking......it's simply the best.
Indeed.
Falcon is a close second.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Best as in "best".

Falco's jab has good range, insane priority, a crazy hitbox, (those three combined cancels out several solid aerial approaches/spacing moves, which can be jab canceled into other attacks really easily), it has a solid jab cancel (don't give me any bull about interrupting it with other jabs all the time. It's fast/quick enough to catch every good player/pro off guard- even Ninjalink. I bet Ninjalink was spamming jab inputs before he saw Falco's jab anyways; that's all Ike can do up close against a good Falco, lol.), 2 frame startup, and an infinite jab that can set up for other attacks.

Ike's is good too, though. No sane person would say otherwise. The problem I have with it is that a lot of the jab cancel followups I've seen rely on bad DI, sort of like Luigi's jab->upb on some characters (on some it's guaranteed though), except without as much speed. Ike certainly has one of the best jab cancel followup games, but's that's not all a jab is about. Falco's is better in pretty much every other category, I think, besides damage and knockback- the latter of which isn't really important.

youtube link
Was that necessary? I haven't seen either movie yet... >_>

edit: I swear I saw a hyperlink and clicked on it... <_<
*confused*

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Best priority jab has Snake. It's amazing.
Luigi's jab is amazing. I thought it was a 1 frame jab. It has high hitstun and it can set up a Fire Jump Punch.
I think all jabs that can lock a downed opponent are amazing (Luigi's one can't though).

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Best priority jab has Snake. It's amazing.
Luigi's jab is amazing. I thought it was a 1 frame jab. It has high hitstun and it can set up a Fire Jump Punch.
I think all jabs that can lock a downed opponent are amazing (Luigi's one can't though).
Samus can jab lock, and her's is absolute garbage.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
wait guys
i wouldn't say ike's jab is the best
cuz there are characters like mario or marth who can comes out of ikes jab ( with up b cuz it comes out on frame 3 with 3 invincibility frames)
because of that i would say snakes jab is the best
it has also a bigger knockback then ikes jab so it is better killing move^^

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
wait guys
i wouldn't say ike's jab is the best
cuz there are characters like mario or marth who can comes out of ikes jab ( with up b cuz it comes out on frame 3 with 3 invincibility frames)
because of that i would say snakes jab is the best
it has also a bigger knockback then ikes jab so it is better killing move^^
Mario and Marth can both get out of the jabs, sure. But they can predict it, jab twice, then shield. Punish accordingly.

I also don't like having to say this. Snake's jab will never kill you. You aren't going to be at a kill percentage and not be able to just get out before the third hit.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Mario and Marth can both get out of the jabs, sure. But they can predict it, jab twice, then shield. Punish accordingly.

I also don't like having to say this. Snake's jab will never kill you. You aren't going to be at a kill percentage and not be able to just get out before the third hit.
i know that they can predict it but we are just talking about the jabs
and snakes last kick is faster then ikes last swing so it is much harde for a mario or marth to react fast enough for making a up b

and of course you can kill with snakes jab

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
i know that they can predict it but we are just talking about the jabs
and snakes last kick is faster then ikes last swing so it is much harde for a mario or marth to react fast enough for making a up b

and of course you can kill with snakes jab
... did you do everything possible to ignore what I was saying?

You won't be killed by Snake's jab because the last part of it will never hit you.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
... did you do everything possible to ignore what I was saying?

You won't be killed by Snake's jab because the last part of it will never hit you.
ok then how about that:
snakes jab cancelling is much more effective than ikes cuz his tilts are faster

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
ok then how about that:
snakes jab cancelling is much more effective than ikes cuz his tilts are faster
That has nothing to do with how good their jabs are.

Ike can just Jab Cancel into more jabs. You can still get out of it before Snake tilts, it's not guaranteed by any means. Like you said, Mario or Marth can just break right out.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
i know but it is a technique that is based on their jabs

so it does has something to do with it
It has nothing to do with the jab itself. The rating system goes something along the lines of this.

• Speed
  • Priority
  • Damage
  • Killing Potential
  • Range

They both share these same qualities, and excel at them. I could care less about who has the best. All I know is, these two could easily tie for greatest jabs. Though if I had to choose, I'd probably go with Ike.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
It has nothing to do with the jab itself. The rating system goes something along the lines of this.

• Speed
  • Priority
  • Damage
  • Killing Potential
  • Range

They both share these same qualities, and excel at them. I could care less about who has the best. All I know is, these two could easily tie for greatest jabs. Though if I had to choose, I'd probably go with Ike.
Wait a minute. Your post as a whole suggests that you don't care about the jabs, yet you say that 'you could care less', which implies that you DO care about it because it would be possible for you to care less about it. Do you mean that you 'couldn't care less' about them?

But yeah, other than that, I agree with you. Snake and Ike have the best jabs overall.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Wait a minute. Your post as a whole suggests that you don't care about the jabs, yet you say that 'you could care less', which implies that you DO care about it because it would be possible for you to care less about it. Do you mean that you 'couldn't care less' about them?

But yeah, other than that, I agree with you. Snake and Ike have the best jabs overall.
Look at you, tactical's little detective. :)

Nah, I'm kidding. tl;dr version: Jab tier list is a horrible idea and I dislike the user that created this thread. I don't care about the position they're put it. Other than the top 2, it's debatable.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Don't worry, Straked, I was just being a bit of a *******. It's just that I really don't like the expression...

Don't be too harsh on the topic creator though. We were all new to the smashboards at some point, and didn't realise that people didn't like these things.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Don't worry, Straked, I was just being a bit of a *******. It's just that I really don't like the expression...

Don't be too harsh on the topic creator though. We were all new to the smashboards at some point, and didn't realise that people didn't like these things.
That's understandable. I don't like the phrase either, but that was a "for lack of a better word" moment.

I can also understand that. But this person doesn't learn. Time and time again have we said these are useless threads that don't belong in tactical. It's not like it's a problem, there's just too many of them.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
Jab tier list is a horrible idea and I dislike the user that created this thread. I don't care about the position they're put it. Other than the top 2, it's debatable.
I think Jab Tier List is a Failed Idea too. The topic creator should put something intelligent about the real discussion (What's the Best Jab). He changed the focus of the real discussion.

Ike was mentioned many times as the character who has the best Jab.

I don't know why some people still believe that Snake's Jab is much better than Ike's Jab, since we can Shield the Last hit of Snake's Jab. It's a little bit hard, but you can shield.

Nestec

Smash Ace
^^ That's cool!

One of my biggest pet peeves, right there. When people say "could" instead of "couldn't". Even people on television scripts say it incorrectly. >__<

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Isn't Jab guarenteed after a side-B on certain characters? That being your only guarenteed follow up?

I'd call that pretty ****ing useful.
Um, this thread talks about how good a jab is itself, not what it could combo from.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Um, this thread talks about how good a jab is itself, not what it could combo from.
Well that's stupid.
Why judge jabs if we have to leave out potential usage of them?
Aren't we try to show who has the best? Then why not take into account all the things that make it the best?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Well that's stupid.
Aren't we try to show who has the best? Then why not take into account all the things that make it the best?
If this happens, then I vote for Luigi's jab to be somewhere between S tier and god tier. Jab -> SHORYUKEN! is too good. I don't care if it doesn't work on every character in the game. It's still TOO GOOD.

prince_of_darkness

Smash Cadet
Well that's stupid.
Agreed.

I would rather list just how "good" a jab actually is rather than Squeeze out all possible beneficial discusion out of this thread, just to keep things the way they are...... >.<

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I disagree here. Lucario, Snake, CF, Luigi, Peach, Mario, and many others have options AT LEAST on par with Ike's jab canceling options.
Jab -> Utilt = canceling into a move that's stronger then most smash attacks, and kills only a few % less then Snake's Up Tilt. Luigi beats it with firepunch, Snake's jab doesn't have enough hitstun to combo well into utilt. Ike's Jab to Utilt is nearly guaranteed. DI won't get you out of it, it has too much range. In fact, I can't remember a single time that jab -> utilt was AD'd, as thats the only way to avoid it after the jab hits. CF, Lucario, Peach, and Mario don't have anything on par with that. So yes, Ike either has the second most devastating or third most devastating jab cancel option in the game, depending on how doable Snake's Jab to Utilt/Ftilt is.

Falco's jab has good range, insane priority, a crazy hitbox, (those three combined cancels out several solid aerial approaches/spacing moves, which can be jab canceled into other attacks really easily), it has a solid jab cancel (don't give me any bull about interrupting it with other jabs all the time. It's fast/quick enough to catch every good player/pro off guard- even Ninjalink. I bet Ninjalink was spamming jab inputs before he saw Falco's jab anyways; that's all Ike can do up close against a good Falco, lol.), 2 frame startup, and an infinite jab that can set up for other attacks.

Ike's is good too, though. No sane person would say otherwise. The problem I have with it is that a lot of the jab cancel followups I've seen rely on bad DI, sort of like Luigi's jab->upb on some characters (on some it's guaranteed though), except without as much speed. Ike certainly has one of the best jab cancel followup games, but's that's not all a jab is about. Falco's is better in pretty much every other category, I think, besides damage and knockback- the latter of which isn't really important.
You act as if Ike's can't cancel out projectiles/approaches either. The only projectiles I can think of it doesn't cancel out are lasers and fully charged aura spheres.

Ike's jab has more range then Falcos for the first and third hit at least, and I would believe so for the second hit, the same priority if not better (which means it cancels out more approaches then Falco), better hitstun (Jab to grab is a true combo after all. No DI will save you from that. Jab1 to Jab1 is a true combo. Jab to Utilt isn't avoidable through DI), more options out of it....he loses in speed to Falco's jab, maybe in use against a wall depending on what can lock an opponent longer Ike's Jab1 or Falco's Jab3....and that's all I can think of.

Falco has a very useful jab, it's just not better.

As for the canceling out part: I never said all of the time, just that I've seen it happen. I don't remember seeing that happen against Ike. I've seen shielding the third hit before, but not actually attacking between two jabs without shielding.

Zephil

Smash Ace
... this will never end... my opinion

THE best: falco
The "**** this is like mario´s dtilt" jab: jiggly and samus

brinboy789

Smash Champion
MK's jab is good. its ideal for punishing people who abuse dodging.
sigh why are people even trying to say that MK's jab its good. its outright terrible, and if you see any half decent MK use it it was a mistake.

i'll admit, the speed is nice and the range is decent, but when you use it, your stuck using it for like half a second. hello? its like asking to be punished, not to mention if you actually know the character that your using, it should be easy to outprioritize/outrange it. your pretty much ASKING to be punished when your using MK's jab. the nado is much better at abusing dodges. the damage it does is atrocious too. its a terrible, useless move that has no use to meta's gameplay. bottom tier. if the OP ever gets updated

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
Wait, doesn't MK's jab come out in 8 frames? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's really slow for a jab.

Regardless, it probably is Ike. 3-frame activation. Full jab combo does 16% and is a true combo. Canceling the first hit nets you with a huge frame advantage. In that sense, it can KO because of the cancel into utilt, which IIRC is also a true combo.

Snake's is good for a jab reset because of range and priority similar to Ike's, but from what I remember, he has no guaranteed combos after it other than his second jab. Jab x3 is guaranteed on an aerial opponent outside of SDI, so it can KO.

Luigi also has a dangerous jab cancel game. Being able to KO most characters at 60% (lower?) off of a jab is a threat.

Brado

Smash Lord
Pikachu has the worst for sure!

Wierd 'cuz my main (Pika) has the worst and my second (Ike) has the best.
Pikachu does not have the worst by far, here is why-
- It has a big disjointed hitbox which hits far in front of him
- It's fast
- It can cause tripping

I'm not saying Pika's is one of the best, just not the worst by far.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Pikachu does not have the worst by far, here is why-
- It has a big disjointed hitbox which hits far in front of him
- It's fast
- It can cause tripping

I'm not saying Pika's is one of the best, just not the worst by far.
So it's disjointed. It still has enough priority to stop Mario's Dtilt maybe.
It might be fast, but the damage output isn't the best. It can still be punished.
What good does that do?

Nobody ever claimed that it was the worst by far.

Just that it was bad and probably bottom tier. Pika has so many better options, jab is near useless.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
stopping by to agree with everyone else, Lucas is definately low A tier for his jab its MADDD good and hits almost behind him (ok all his attacks do that lol)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
stopping by to agree with everyone else, Lucas is definately low A tier for his jab its MADDD good and hits almost behind him (ok all his attacks do that lol)
Cool story, bro.

We all know it's good, we just never acknowledged it because it didn't matter at the time.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So it's disjointed. It still has enough priority to stop Mario's Dtilt maybe.
It might be fast, but the damage output isn't the best. It can still be punished.
What good does that do?

Nobody ever claimed that it was the worst by far.

Just that it was bad and probably bottom tier. Pika has so many better options, jab is near useless.
That guy did.

Top Bottom