• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character takes the most mental skill to play?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I think Yoshi has the highest learning curve His chain grab is very hard on some characters which does work.
Other techniques like Dragonic Reverse are also hard to learn.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
It's probably Yoshi, Ganon, Link, Bowser or Diddy, though no character is easy to master. ICs? What's hard about memorizing a ****ing button input? I could CG every high tier with my eyes closed after 1 and a half hours of practice back when I used to main ICs, and I could CG the top/high tiers in actual brawls after about a day. Desynching, yeah, sure, but I found it to be mostly useless as the player using the simpler character(IE, a weegee, DK or MK) doesn't have half as much to think about.

Bowser is a character that comes to mind because you have to know the character up and down, take him apart and put him back together before you're even decent with him, you have to have precision button input just not to get punished and you have to learn possibly the hardest CG in the game.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Mental skill = mindgames, technical skill and controlling characters? All in one? Serious?
Anyway, Captain Falcon.
EVERYTHING he does, EVERY move he lands on you is a mindgame, since you can just shield ALL his attacks easily and punish. Also, the knowledge that you're playing Falcon, the bottom of bottom tier, with no matchup-advantages whatsoever, takes a really strong mind. Accepting the fact that you are useless and Falcon is awesome takes heavy mind-skill as well.
And yes, I am serious about this post, I believe Falcon takes the most MENTAL skill to play.

Monkey Business

Smash Cadet
I have to say,
Sonic - You have to combo a lot and find ways of approaching your target without getting punished.
Ice Climbers - You have to learn all the chain grabs, and how to use Nana in certain situations. And if she dies, your basically dead too.
Diddy Kong - Have to time your bananas right and space them good enough to use for your advantage.
Snake - Learning where to place mines, when to approach target, etc

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Snake, IC, Marth (you guys just need to play him at higher level to understand, I'm not even going to argue about it.) MK, and Diddy.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The character who requires the most mindgames to play (and by this, I assume you mean "to win as") would be the character lowest on the tier list because he/she does not have much going for them, thus, one has to constantly out-think one's opponent.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Against Sheik or IC, especially because it's a nearly impossible mission, but not all are really bad, including G&W.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Ganondorf loses 0/100 to anyone that just waits and reacts to all of his horrible approaches...including another Ganondorf that has the percent advantage.

leonbird

Smash Rookie
i think snake, sonic, IC, have high learning curves

snake with his amazing techs, sonic always having to change it up and make use of his speed and attack lag time and simply put, IC

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Imo, Pokemon Trainer. I know for a fact that not many people main him. In some cases they pick him up and drop him because he is "too complex?" to learn. I don't blame them, it's 4 guys in 1 character. You have to learn to play with a lightweight who is quite fast and agile, a semi-heavyweight who doesn't have the best recovery in the game but does pack a punch and can space quite well, then play as an actual heavyweight who is quite mobile when running/gliding and on top of that learn to play a guy who just shouts orders, lame phrases and runs. There are many pros and cons with PT however it takes a patient person to learn to play him and deal with getting used to all 3 play styles. Imo, it is worth it if you have the patience and passion to play PT. It's helped me place better in tournaments rather than TL.

On another note, I have also heard that there are more and more people picking him up but only using him as secondaries. I'm guessing PT is one of the most popular "low tier of choice." I'm fine with that. He's a great addition to the SSB roster. If he remains for the next one and changes very little, I'll main him in the next game too.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I think high mental skill of Snake is not his learning techniques but remembering where are the bombs he put to prevent hurting himself with them. It's not easy to think in various things at the same time.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think high mental skill of Snake is not his learning techniques but remembering where are the bombs he put to prevent hurting himself with them. It's not easy to think in various things at the same time.
That's just multi-tasking. Just have a sex change operation or become gay if you want to become better at it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's just multi-tasking. Just have a sex change operation or become gay if you want to become better at it.
What if I just put on my mom's wedding dress when I play? Would that help? :laugh:

(I feel stunning... and oh so charming... and pretty... and witty... and briiiiiiiiiiiiight... and I pity... any girl that isn't me tonight! Fa-la-la-la-lala-la!)

number1ricky

Smash Cadet
SOmebody said Metaknight has a low learning curve, that's not true. Every character, to be REAL GOOD with them, has a high learning curve.
I personally find Poke Trainer to be hardest.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What if I just put on my mom's wedding dress when I play? Would that help? :laugh:

(I feel stunning... and oh so charming... and pretty... and witty... and briiiiiiiiiiiiight... and I pity... any girl that isn't me tonight! Fa-la-la-la-lala-la!)
No. Either snip it or have some gay sex. Transvestitism will merely give you power of trappage... but only if you're actually pretty.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon of course. Can there be any other doubt? To even land a single attack with such garbage priority takes effort.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
The character who requires the most mindgames to play (and by this, I assume you mean "to win as") would be the character lowest on the tier list because he/she does not have much going for them, thus, one has to constantly out-think one's opponent.
We're not necessarily talking about mindgames alone, though, it's mental skill overall...

Bomber7 said:
If [PT] remains for the next one and changes very little, I'll main him in the next game too.
Changes very little, or becomes top tier, ^m i rite ^_^

Yuna said:
Isn't multi-tasking mental skill...?

Lucario0129

Smash Rookie
Projectile Users: :yoshi2:,:pikachu2:,:lucario:,:samus:/:zerosuitsamus:,:pit:,:link2:,:toonlink:,:falco:(showoff),:snake:,:zelda:/:shiek:,:wolf:,:lucas:,:pt:(:charizard: :ivysaur:&:squirtle:),:diddy:,:kirby2:(since he can use anyone's neutral special once he sucks 'em up),:fox:,:popo:,:gw:,&:rob:.

Non-Projectile Users::dedede:,:sonic:,:ganondorf:,:wario:/:warioc:,:jigglypuff:,:ike:,:pikachu2:

bleyva

Smash Ace
gotta be falcon. with zero priority and literally no approach options, his entire game revolves around dodging everything your opponent throws at you while trying to sneak an attack in every once in a while.

100% mindgames

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Projectile Users: :yoshi2:,:pikachu2:,:lucario:,:samus:/:zerosuitsamus:,:pit:,:link2:,:toonlink:,:falco:(showoff),:snake:,:zelda:/:shiek:,:wolf:,:lucas:,:pt:(:charizard: :ivysaur:&:squirtle:),:diddy:,:kirby2:(since he can use anyone's neutral special once he sucks 'em up),:fox:,:popo:,:gw:,&:rob:.

Non-Projectile Users::dedede:,:sonic:,:ganondorf:,:wario:/:warioc:,:jigglypuff:,:ike:,:pikachu2:
Why's Pikachu in both lists? And DDD has waddle dees/doos and gordos, seems like projectiles to me! Sonic also has the air upB, which falls and acts as a projectile if anyone touches it midair. Wario has the bike, which he can throw, or destroy and use the wheels as projectiles... : /

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic mains have the best mindgames.

:093:

SlyNinja

Smash Rookie
People will laugh when I say this, but DK. He's easy to pick up, but learning how to time what move really decides between living or dying because of the lag frames after most of his attacks. I find myself using a dair a few frames early and eating a fsmash all the time.

DSP

Smash Apprentice
I think Ganny requires the most mental skill... as CF, at least you HAVE the option of dodging your foe's attacks while sneaking attacks in, this is even harder with Ganny.
ZSS for combos.
CF for ownage.

Oh, and lol @ the guys who mentioned TLink. Link has as much to think about as TLink does AND a bunch of more weaknesses you have to get around. (Not that I want to say they take the MOST mental skill... but they're both up there) Try surviving without an existent recovery that can be taken advantage of by almost every char at every %... while spamming, AT'ing and predicting like hell so you don't lose a stock instantly.

dmvu11

Smash Rookie
Ike :)
It takes some skill to be good with a slow over powered beast.
Some timing, good predictions and good reactions.

tuestresfat

Smash Apprentice
^
yea i agree, same goes for zero suit. both of them have limited options in approaching and all of them are fairly easy to block/avoid. it takes some serious mind games to get anything going for these two against a smart opponent. particularly a projectile user.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Oh, and lol @ the guys who mentioned TLink. Link has as much to think about as TLink does AND a bunch of more weaknesses you have to get around. (Not that I want to say they take the MOST mental skill... but they're both up there) Try surviving without an existent recovery that can be taken advantage of by almost every char at every %... while spamming, AT'ing and predicting like hell so you don't lose a stock instantly.
Link's projectile game is way inferior to TL's http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7088045&postcount=1 <-TL's AT's.
Link is heavier than TL and his tether can get him far in the air, and has ridiculous range
TL is light, is pretty much dead at 100% and needs to plan everything out, with horrible range and low knockback moves
just sayin
EDIT: you do have to work very hard to win with Link tho(that alone takes mental skill), I can give you that

Top Bottom