• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite thing about Melee?

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
When you see videos like "Perfect Control" and realize that there really is no limit to how good someone can be at this game.

Oh, and DI. In most fighting games, combos = death (unless you counter... which can be countered... and so on). In smash, most anything can be broken out of with DI. You control your character, even when he's getting the **** beat out of him.

Zeke_

Smash Journeyman
My favorite thing about melee is the community. It brings people together, you can put faces to the names.

Trash talk is also hilarious.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Probably the community. Made a lot of close friends I wouldn't have met otherwise.

Duskshadow

Smash Apprentice
My favorite thing about Melee, has to be the strategy. It involves an actual advanced thought process to play.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Just the right amount of technical stuff to be fun, and AT's that can be useful, but aren't necessary to be a good player.

DI and tech-chasing. They just add so much more depth, and DI in particular makes it possible for /anything/ to happen. Which makes things epic.

And, the extraordinarily deep mental aspect to melee.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Probably that feeling I got when I first saw people playing with advanced techniques and thinking wow this game has infinite possibilities.

Edit : Also really like that combos aren't set in stone like in street fighter or other games if move A hits move B and C follow every single time.

King Siegfried

Smash Apprentice
My favorite part of Melee is Captain Falcon's manliness and the meme that he's become ... even when he's pummeling me into the ground.

Additionally, I like the fact that I can always get better.
The strategy aspect is awesome, it feels like high-speed chess.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I love being flashy :D

The only other thing thats wrong with melee besides not being able to use the c stick in classic mode is that you can't taunt cancel like you could in 64. Imagine if you could taunt in the middle of combos...

thumbswayup

Smash Master
even **** matchups are winnable if ur a better player
Yeah, even Falcon vs Sheik as much as I hate to admit it lol

Probably the community. Made a lot of close friends I wouldn't have met otherwise.
Yes, how true this is.

To me, Melee honestly only has 1 noteworthy flaw: no c-stick in 1st player mode.

The game is **** near perfect.
LOL I love this post

Probably that feeling I got when I first saw people playing with advanced techniques and thinking wow this game has infinite possibilities.

Edit : Also really like that combos aren't set in stone like in street fighter or other games if move A hits move B and C follow every single time.
Yeah that is a big reason I think Melee is superior to 2d fighters, no combo is set in stone and you will never see the same combos happening over and over in the same set.

Jonas

Smash Champion
The community. Smash is an awesome game by all means, but I wouldn't touch it if I didn't have such a good time being around fellow smashers.

S.R. XXVII

Smash Ace
I love how all of Melee's characters have the same move inputs, yet they all play so differently, yet games like SF and Tekken have all these different inputs but its like almost the same stuff in how you play characters. Cept Guilty Gear. I like that game almost as much as Melee.

Zombie Bob

Smash Rookie
I can play this for years and years and continue to get better (not that I'm anything special, but you get the idea.)

...this game never ever gets old.

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
What makes me love Melee, besides the Captain Falcon's sexy manliness is the fact that there is no limit, I mean we can ALWAYS improve at this game, while never getting bored. I know no other game that is like that

holypho

Smash Apprentice
combos combos combos combos, nough said : D, my favorite thing is the wavedashing unnecessary used not for mindgames or spacing

mainlink

Smash Cadet
It never gets old. You can play for like a day straight. Seriously. Practicing and figuring out the finer aspects of the game, just trying to get better.
I really like charging a smash attack and knowing its gonna connect. Boomerangs and bombs. Luigi's taunt. Everything basically.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I like how it feels like there are no limits and you can do everything. Well, you can't do EVERYTHING, but it really doesn't feel so restrictive :)

N64

Smash Champion
That i'm still playing it, and it's still fun, and i'm still learning new things about the game.

So, i guess, the depth of the game.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

Yes, same here, back when Gimpy, M2K, Aizen, Ken(mindgames lol...) first started competing and winning these big tourneys, I thought to myself, wow Smash is really big aside from it only being a fun, get-around game.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Doing your first combo. and knowing that, no matter what, the other person could not have gotten out of it.

Also all the fun times with friends. this game...i cant get enough. lol and using a lower tier and winning... always keeps me surprised at the balance.

Arcade

Smash Ace
There are so many fun characters to play. I can play Ness for a while, then Doc, then Young Link, then Marth, then Mewtwo, then Game and Watch...

There are so many tricks, combos, nuances and strategies for all the characters it never gets old discovering and practicing them all.

mallu000

Smash Cadet
Improving and competing against good players even though I play generally against just one guy : D. But my Doc against his Falco is always freaking epic and very serious.

Also all these wtf moments. One time we played C.Falcon dittos all night and full jumped a falcon punch to death in the beginning of a match. I thought I was controlling the other character.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Yes, same here, back when Gimpy, M2K, Aizen, Ken(mindgames lol...) first started competing and winning these big tourneys, I thought to myself, wow Smash is really big aside from it only being a fun, get-around game.
Gimpy won tournys? >_> <_< >.> Azen*
Doing your first combo. and knowing that, no matter what, the other person could not have gotten out of it.

Also all the fun times with friends. this game...i cant get enough. lol and using a lower tier and winning... always keeps me surprised at the balance.
Melee is actually amazing because he COULD have gotten out lf the combo with good SDI. No combo is set in stone(except waveshining).

Top Bottom